10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    History used to be written by the winners, because they were the survivors. In the current age where you have millions upon millions of observers through social media and the internet as a whole, history is written by everyone, especially since conflicts don't tend to lead to the decimation of an entire group of people anymore.
    This is incomplete....history is written by the victors and the living. Why is Wyatt Earp the western icon he is? cause he lived to see 80 and a desperate media allowed him to tell his tale of the old west because he was one of the last ones. There were more deserving people but because he was one of the last of his era he reaped the rewards. This will be the fate of the boomers, a group whose history will be written by the millennials and Zs they screwed over. Trump will always be linked as their failure.

Social media will never be a great record of much if we can't access what's written today in 30 years and I honestly have no faith we will

Quote Originally Posted by Jeezy911 View Post
    This time next year we will have all 3 branches of government and probably another supreme court justice when RGB dies. Just warning you now.
    well, i'm sure we all are grateful for your concern.

the fact that the right are so concerned about this speaks for itself really. its like some kind of childish reverse psychology.

Quote Originally Posted by Sulla View Post
    Nothing about what I said, suggest "people being wiped out". Stop jumping to conclusions. You seem to be relying on social media and the internet as a guaranteed medium for unimpaired democracy in the future, which is incredibly naive.
    I'm simply saying that the "might makes right" ideology is incredibly difficult to actually maintain and by extension, the saying "history is written by the victors" is flat out false given the existence of the internet. Nowhere did I mention or discuss the internet in relation to democracy, I only mentioned it in relation to history.

Your post:
    LOL, "in the current age" that's lasted all of about 30 years and could change drastically at any moment. Don't get too comfortable. There were thousands of years of rougher times before what you've grown up in
    How else am I supposed to interpret it? For people to stop spreading information over the internet those people either need to not exist anymore, or the internet needs to not exist anymore. So which is it you were inferring? Or is there some other option you are thinking of that I'm not including?

Even half of republicans polled believed Trump did something wrong. Dems in reddish districts aren't in as much trouble as Trump supporters would like to believe.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeezy911 View Post
    This time next year we will have all 3 branches of government and probably another supreme court justice when RGB dies. Just warning you now.
    Haaaaaaa hahahahahaha. Just like 2018's red wave right??!!?? Hahahahahahaha

McConnel and Graham openly admitted on TV that they were going to rig the senate trial. So not only is Pelosi making the smart political move by waiting, but senate republicans guaranteed that the general public would support her for doing so.

Quote Originally Posted by Levelfive View Post
    Are you agreeing or disagreeing, because that's what the whole article is about.
    i agree that the problem is repubs ignoring norms, but not the solution of "we should just ignore norms then!". democracy is the process itself, you don't preserve it by continuing to undermine it with good intentions.
    many of the rules are norms he refers to are not enforced by written law, i'm saying they ought to be.

3+ Year Old Account
    Yeah I mean, the poster I was replying to was not only naive but ignorant of current events (or at least Democrat excuses for losing an election). The internet is somehow the stalwart pillar that's going to hold up democracy against universal truths like "history is determined by the winners", but somehow a few social media posts that were like a drop in an ocean determined the election in the most powerful country in the history of the world... according to some narratives anyways.
    I will say this social media if used right can be a very effective weapon especially if used with precision.

Quote Originally Posted by starlord View Post
    i agree that the problem is repubs ignoring norms, but not the solution of "we should just ignore norms then!". democracy is the process itself, you don't preserve it by continuing to undermine it with good intentions.
    many of the rules are norms he refers to are not enforced by written law, i'm saying they ought to be.
    Nope, that's all done now--until Republicans are on the ass-end of it, it will keep going and they will structurally remove Democrats from the whole process. Time for Democrats to get smart and play hardball right back.

Nope, that's all done now--until Republicans are on the ass-end of it, it will keep going and they will structurally remove Democrats from the whole process. Time for Democrats to get smart and play hardball right back.
    what would be your idea of them playing hardball back?

what would be your idea of them playing hardball back?
    There's a whole list in that article. I support all of them.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    The Trumpkins are sure in a huff over something that didn't matter and won't affect them, lol.

Pelosi is continuing to rock it by withholding the Articles in search of a fair trial.
    Last edited by cubby; 2019-12-19 at 05:22 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    Haaaaaaa hahahahahaha. Just like 2018's red wave right??!!?? Hahahahahahaha
    "All this negative coverage of Trump is just making his base more enraged, his polls are on the rise, they'll wipe you Democrats out in the 2018 elections and then we'll control a majority in all houses! Haha you Democrats fucked up bad!"

Proceeds to lose 40 seats in the house.

For anyone who thinks Trump's polls are "soaring sky high" I suggest they check this out: https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com...roval-ratings/

On the day he was elected and continuing into his start as president, he had a close to 50% approval rating and it was higher than disapproval. His approval ratings have more or less bounced around the same region of 37-42%, and for as much as the far right news network headlines claim his approval rating is soaring, he's gained something like 0.7% in the last week, which is an amount he often fluctuates in a single day up or down. Trump's been impeached, and the Trumpkins are trying so hard to pat themselves on the back and tell themselves everything is alright, yet we know what they're doing. They're trying so hard to prove everything is fine because of that impending anxiety knowing that Trump has officially been indicted for crimes.

They bragged about winning the 2016 off the backs of independents, but independents have only grown more disgusted with Trump over time. Now they are saying that this will "fire up the base" and get them to come out in droves and vote. Yet during 2016, they were the same people who said that the base doesn't matter, and he did a better job appealing to independents.

And of course, now they can't figure out if the impeachment is going too fast or too slow. The talking point changes by the hour. If Democrats are pushing the impeachment through another step, they cry that it's too fast, and if they are taking their time, it's going too slow.

The only reason it's hard to argue against Republican positions is because their position on ANY given issue changes by the year, the month, the day, or even the hour. But just because it's hard to argue against, doesn't mean we can't just ridicule them for being in a constant state of hypocrisy.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    The Trumpkis are sure in a huff over something that didn't matter and won't affect them, lol.

Pelosi is continuing to rock it by withholding the Articles in search of a fair trial.
    Pelosi has always been 20 steps ahead of Trump, it's pretty amazing. I'd vote for her in an instant if she ran for prez, but I also realize the power of the house majority leader, and how it potentially has even more power than the president.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

There's a whole list in that article. I support all of them.
    its not a solution to the fundamental issues though.

its not a solution to the fundamental issues though.
    Right, the point is to keep us in the process long enough to get there.

Quote Originally Posted by Knadra View Post
    Meanwhile in reality, Trump's approval numbers are climbing
    Republicans like to bring up this and the economy as if either have any bearing on a president violating his oath of office and the Constitution.

Quote Originally Posted by Knadra View Post
    and the senate just confirmed 13 more Trump-appointed judges.
    Still not sure what this has to do with a president potentially violating the Constitution.

Edit: Separately, was listening to an interview with Pam Bondi, the former Florida AG and recipient of a nice Trump donation before she ended and investigation into his business and current member of his impeachment defense team.

I don't think she's up to speed on everything...she was talking about how long this has dragged on, directly contradicting the "rushed" narrative Republicans are pushing, opened up Trump for wanting witnesses to testify, and was generally even more detached from reality and infuriating than even most of the Republican Reps/Sens I've listened to.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu 2020 View Post
    Pelosi has always been 20 steps ahead of Trump, it's pretty amazing. I'd vote for her in an instant if she ran for prez, but I also realize the power of the house majority leader, and how it potentially has even more power than the president.
    She is really shining during this entire process. Playing Trump like a fiddle. I wish he had the intellectual capacity to see how stupid he looks.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Congratulations on your meaningless one-sided impeachment that you couldn't even hold your caucus intact for. Worse case scenario, you will always have this and what a beauty it is to behold. When you think back on the years that your party was completely out of power and was the political equivalent of a cuckold, you'll at least have this amazing achievement to look back on fondly and stave off the depression.
    Exactly. Real Americans standing up and doing the right thing. That is literally what this country was founded upon.

You're sure posting a lot about something you claim doesn't matter.

10+ Year Old Account
    Always funny how you are able to make Sulla drop all his bullshit pretense of civility @Cthulhu 2020 you truly do get under his skin