Poll: Rate the movie STAR WARS™: The Rise of Skywalker™

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Technically, Ben wasn't a Skywalker anyway, he was a Solo. I mean, yeah, he actually has Skywalker blood, but do we know if Leia took Han's last name when they married? Did they even marry? My point is, depending on circumstances, if we're being technical, Ben was a Solo.

I do have some questions now, though, which I'm sure Disney will never answer.

Rey is a Palpatine. So Sidious at some point sired a child, and that child sired Rey. Was Palpatine's son or daughter a powerless nobody? I mean, the child of Sidious seems like they'd be pretty strong him/herself if the grandchild is strong. Seems like it would have been something interesting to explore if they had only brainstormed this all from the beginning instead of making it up as they go along.

10+ Year Old Account
    I honestly hope it bombs in every way possible and that clown of a woman loses her job.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyphael View Post
    This thread is approaching critical mass. lol

So curious about opening weekend numbers.
    With disneys large simultaneously opening influence, the first numbers can't and won't be bad.
    Maybe it will even outdo the previous movies, because the target audience seems to be not the SW/movie fans but the young audience thats enjoys "popcorn movies" and dont even want to deal with plot and a meta story line, so they will mostly like it, because it is that easy to watch/not even watch.

Its still disney, they didnt even try to make a SW movie, they just went straight into the popcorn zone.

OOF 58% at RT, thats some B-movie dumpster tier.
    Last edited by Ange; 2019-12-19 at 03:27 PM.
    -

Quote Originally Posted by Chemii View Post
    I honestly hope it bombs in every way possible and that clown of a woman loses her job.
    That nearly psychotic obsession with Kennedy is pathetic. Tell me, who do you think film and writemovies (or nominate people to do so ?) The director or the producer ?

Kennedy signs the checks for the crew. She is not the one that came up with that moronic plot point, it's Abrams. At worse, Kennedy did not vetoed it or suggested it, but I heard Abrams is a big boy able to have his own apalling ideas.
    Last edited by sarahtasher; 2019-12-19 at 03:27 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by sarahtasher View Post
    That nearly psychotic obsession with Kennedy is pathetic. Tell me, who do you think film and writemovies (or nominate people to do so ?) The director or the producer ?

Kennedy signs the checks for the crew. She is not the one that came up with that moronic plot point. That's the fanbase
    I don't think you fully understand what a film producer does. She's responsible for selecting the script, including picking writers, directing & editing. The producer always has the final say on creative decisions. That's their job.

If it's not the president of Lucas Film who takes the flack, who's produced all the Star Wars films since 2012, then who is it?

Rian is also an idiot but she signed off his retardation.

I don't think you fully understand what a film producer does. She's responsible for selecting the script, including picking writers, directing & editing. The producer always has the final say on creative decisions. That's their job.

If it's not the president of Lucas Film who takes the flack, who's produced all the Star Wars films since 2012, then who is it?

Rian is also an idiot but she signed off his retardation.
    Kay, are people blaming the producers of Batman vs Superman or Transformers movies ?

Full summary is already on Wikipedia.

Kudos have to be given however : Kylo Ren certainly told the truth from a certain pont of view. Rey father and mother were indeed nobodies, to quote Cracked, not even named for the sake of action figure packaging.

Kudos have to be given however : Kylo Ren certainly told the truth from a certain pont of view. Rey father and mother were indeed nobodies, to quote Cracked, not even named for the sake of action figure packaging.
    Which means Palpatine's son or daughter were not at all Force sensitive. Power skipped a generation.

Will rate it when I see it I have no expectations though but i hope I get my money's worth.
    Do you hear the voices too?

10+ Year Old Account
    Kay, are people blaming the producers of Batman vs Superman or Transformers movies ?
    Oh I see, you are trying to turn this into some gender thing. OK.

Yes Micheal Bay who was the executive producer & director on the first four transformer movies received heavy criticism for his objectification of women and won awards for worst picture, worst screenplay & worst director for said films. The films were slammed by critics but are some of the highest grossing films of all time. Long time fans of the franchise disliked the fact that a lot of cannon was changed or ignored to modernise the franchise to sell toys, all of which were bay's decisions alongside Spielberg.

Batman vs Superman is a little bit different because each producer has played a part in some incredible films in the same franchise very recently. Deborah Synder produced it and her husband directed it, as part of a small team who also worked on the Dark Knight, Man of Steel & 300. If you don't think they received shit for Suicide Squad, Man of steel & BvS then you live under a rock.

The thing about this is if Kennedy wants to take credit for producing some of the amazing films she has over the years (which she does), she also has to chin the criticisms of the bad ones and for about 10-15 years she's been part of nothing but garbage, the last eight years of which she's dismantled half of the Star Wars cannon alongside her retarded writers, all of the films have faced massive production problems and switched writers/directors multiple times due to creative differences.

"Phil Lord and Christopher Miller are talented film-makers who have assembled an incredible cast and crew, but it's become clear that we had different creative visions on this film, and we've decided to part ways."

You can't have different directors, writers & production staff on every project and then blame them, when there is only one constant in the process so if she doesn't get credit for her creative visions then who does...
    Last edited by Chemii; 2019-12-19 at 05:13 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I saw it last night and would rate it, like, 3 out of 5 stars maybe.

It was better than Episode 1 and 2, for sure. Maybe on a similar level to my opinion of Episode 3 and 6.

I didn't hate it, but I'd struggle to call it a great movie.

I didn't really have any major problems with the events, lore and story, and some of the individual scenes are extremely cool. My main problem was with the pacing of the film, which was real bad... I think it might be one of the worst paced films I've ever watched. It really felt like this movie was 2 films condensed into one manic cluster of events one after another to try and fit everything in.

Basically, JJ Abrams needed to spend half this film setting up the stuff that he clearly wished to have set up in Episode 8. If you imagine all that crap had been set up properly in Episode 8, this would have been an amazing movie. Instead it felt really rushed trying to get everything in place for the finale, which made what should have been an epic payoff feel really unearned.

I don't regret watching it and enjoyed lots of the individual parts, but I can't give it more than 3/5 because of the overall structure and pacing issues, which is largely to be blamed on the handling of this trilogy as a whole.
    Looking for laid-back casual raiding on EU?
    Our community is looking for more players: Take a look and hit me up for info!

Quote Originally Posted by Eazy View Post

That's kinda depressing, but I guess you have right. I feel almost the same...
    It's not so bad, when you realise they really weren't worth it afterall, but it helps to find something actually worth it, then you really see how your life so didn't need the hours and devotion you gave to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    No way, no one ever criticizes men. Never happens. Not once in the history of ever has a man been criticized for anything.
    People are certainly not screaming hysterically for the removal of the directors of Genysis, Dark Fate, Fallen Kingdom...They don't brainwash each other into believing they are going to them fired tomorrow. They don't scream like sows in heat over t-shirts they wore.

People are certainly not screaming hysterically for the removal of the directors of Genysis, Dark Fate, Fallen Kingdom...They don't brainwash each other into believing they are going to them fired tomorrow. They don't scream like sows in heat over t-shirts they wore.
    To be fair, Terminator and Jurassic Park don't have the kind of fandom Star Wars does. You don't see people dress up as Arnold or... dinosaurs nearly as much as Star Wars' Storm Troopers, Darth Vader or Princess Leia. They're more general audience tent poles than niche films like Star Wars appeals to nerd culture, and only nerds will act as passionately as they do. When Batman vs. Superman sucked, fans were lashing out at Zack Snyder. It was only when Joss Whedon messed up Justice League just as bad if not worse that people started clamoring for the "Snyder cut", quickly forgetting how bad Batman vs. Superman was (nerds are fickle, no surprise there.)

You also forget how much shit George Lucas got for the prequels, with people clamoring for him to let others direct like it was done in Empire Strikes Back. Of course they couldn't call for his firing, the man OWNED Star Wars. lol But male directors get just as much shit from fandoms.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyphael View Post
    To be fair, Terminator and Jurassic Park don't have the kind of fandom Star Wars does. You don't see people dress up as Arnold or... dinosaurs nearly as much as Star Wars' Storm Troopers, Darth Vader or Princess Leia. They're more general audience tent poles than niche films like Star Wars appeals to nerd culture, and only nerds will act as passionately as they do. When Batman vs. Superman sucked, fans were lashing out at Zack Snyder. It was only when Joss Whedon messed up Justice League just as bad if not worse that people started clamoring for the "Snyder cut", quickly forgetting how bad Batman vs. Superman was (nerds are fickle, no surprise there.)

You also forget how much shit George Lucas got for the prequels, with people clamoring for him to let others direct like it was done in Empire Strikes Back. Of course they couldn't call for his firing, the man OWNED Star Wars. lol But male directors get just as much shit from fandoms.
    Joss Whedon was only brought in for post-production on Justice League. The film had already been shot.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    Joss Whedon was only brought in for post-production on Justice League. The film had already been shot.
    I thought WB spent millions on re-shoots, with Henry Caville having to come back, but with a mustache they had to erase in post production? If Whedon had kept Snyder's cut and just finished special effects, sound editing, etc., why would people be clamoring for a Snyder cut?

The Lightbringer
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by StillMcfuu View Post
    Worked for Harry Potter.
    Are you comparing movies based on an already written and planned story of 7 books to this mumbo jumbo glue-tape-stuff-and-see-if-it-holds movie trilogy?
    /spit@Blizzard

My opinion is if this movie was both 8 and 9 split up with a few of the devastating Last Jedi choices not happening it might have been good or maybe even great. But it feels like they had to spend to much time almost retconning / dodgy explaining things from 8 and having to dance around Fisher passing away (which Last Jedi could have fixed too). But as it is 9 ends up with to much to say and fix to have a great story. So it ends up meh. Not horrible but rushed and paced poorly. To much explaining somethings and not explaining others. The shining part is they finally fix Ray into actually having a character arch and explained her out of no where power(s). Pretty much it's the Raylo show in the end.

Oh I see, you are trying to turn this into some gender thing. OK.

Yes Micheal Bay who was the executive producer & director on the first four transformer movies received heavy criticism for his objectification of women and won awards for worst picture, worst screenplay & worst director for said films. The films were slammed by critics but are some of the highest grossing films of all time. Long time fans of the franchise disliked the fact that a lot of cannon was changed or ignored to modernise the franchise to sell toys, all of which were bay's decisions alongside Spielberg.

Batman vs Superman is a little bit different because each producer has played a part in some incredible films in the same franchise very recently. Deborah Synder produced it and her husband directed it, as part of a small team who also worked on the Dark Knight, Man of Steel & 300. If you don't think they received shit for Suicide Squad, Man of steel & BvS then you live under a rock.

The thing about this is if Kennedy wants to take credit for producing some of the amazing films she has over the years (which she does), she also has to chin the criticisms of the bad ones and for about 10-15 years she's been part of nothing but garbage, the last eight years of which she's dismantled half of the Star Wars cannon alongside her retarded writers, all of the films have faced massive production problems and switched writers/directors multiple times due to creative differences.

"Phil Lord and Christopher Miller are talented film-makers who have assembled an incredible cast and crew, but it's become clear that we had different creative visions on this film, and we've decided to part ways."

You can't have different directors, writers & production staff on every project and then blame them, when there is only one constant in the process so if she doesn't get credit for her creative visions then who does...
    I don't think you know what you're talking about. Michael Bay received flack because he was the director, not because he was the Producer. Zach Snyder got flack because he literally directed those movies. His wife didn't get flack for producing them. Directors and writers have direct, day-to-day influence on a project.

Producers rarely have direct day-to-day creative influence, at least not "Executive Producers," in film. Executive producers are literally that - executives - making sure the business of making the movie is feasible. There's reason there's all sort of different producer titles, and all sorts of "creative" titles - Creative Consultant, Creative Supervisor, etc. The role of Kennedy is literally to get the movie from the pitch meeting to release. And in that sense, she's sort of a pitchwoman for the ideas the movie expresses, but she's in no way the progenitor of those ideas. She doesn't even do casting, probably. Maybe she sits in on the casting calls, but that's probably about it.

This trilogy was written by two people - JJ, and Rian. It was directed by the same two people. They are the ones who had creative influence on this trilogy.

I agree, the irrational hatred for Kennedy for wearing a t-shirt is fucking hilarious and pathetic at the same time. About the extent of blame that can be placed on her was giving her directors TOO much creative freedom, and not forcing them to work together to create a cohesive vision. But last I checked, both J.J. and Rian are capable adult men, so I don't know why the whole blame for that falls on Kennedy's head. J.J. is so ADHD and always trying to juggle 100 projects at once, it wouldn't surprise me if, like a dog chasing a car, he was too busy to do any such thing; while Rian is such an esoteric, auteur director he probably didn't want to push the coordination on his end either.
    Last edited by eschatological; 2019-12-19 at 06:42 PM.