Poll: Rate the movie STAR WARS™: The Rise of Skywalker™

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Quote Originally Posted by Zexaniro View Post
    Rian at least explored new territory with TLJ, he had a vision. Only issue with TLJ was TFA and now TROS
    What new territory? TLJ was just a self aware ESB.

Quote Originally Posted by RangerDaz View Post
    I actually enjoyed much more the prequel triology rather than the disney triology.

Yes the prequel triology had many flaws: Jar jar Binks, the boring Anakin car race, the horrible Anakin and Amidala romantic story, are some of the flaws. But I really enjoyed the whole prequel story combined and the end result. This Disney triology... i just don't connect with it.
    This
    They are not good movies at all, but they are Star Wars movies. This new trilogy feels completely disjointed, like a random generated scifi. But i felt the same way with the new Star Trek movies too, so i guess it's J.J. and the average crap he keeps pumping out

Meanwhile the Mandalorian episode 7 was awesome, totally gave me my needed weekly SW fix

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    I don't think you know what you're talking about. Michael Bay received flack because he was the director, not because he was the Producer. Zach Snyder got flack because he literally directed those movies. His wife didn't get flack for producing them. Directors and writers have direct, day-to-day influence on a project.

Producers rarely have direct day-to-day creative influence, at least not "Executive Producers," in film. Executive producers are literally that - executives - making sure the business of making the movie is feasible. There's reason there's all sort of different producer titles, and all sorts of "creative" titles - Creative Consultant, Creative Supervisor, etc. The role of Kennedy is literally to get the movie from the pitch meeting to release. And in that sense, she's sort of a pitchwoman for the ideas the movie expresses, but she's in no way the progenitor of those ideas. She doesn't even do casting, probably. Maybe she sits in on the casting calls, but that's probably about it.

This trilogy was written by two people - JJ, and Rian. It was directed by the same two people. They are the ones who had creative influence on this trilogy.

I agree, the irrational hatred for Kennedy for wearing a t-shirt is fucking hilarious and pathetic at the same time. About the extent of blame that can be placed on her was giving her directors TOO much creative freedom, and not forcing them to work together to create a cohesive vision. But last I checked, both J.J. and Rian are capable adult men, so I don't know why the whole blame for that falls on Kennedy's head. J.J. is so ADHD and always trying to juggle 100 projects at once, it wouldn't surprise me if, like a dog chasing a car, he was too busy to do any such thing; while Rian is such an esoteric, auteur director he probably didn't want to push the coordination on his end either.
    I've said all I want to say on it. I'm not going to argue semantics of what a producer does and doesn't do as it varies from production to production.

Force Awakens, writing credits: JJ Abrams, Lawrence Kasdan, Micheal Arndt
    The Last Jedi, writing credit: Rian Johnson
    The Rise of Skywalker, writing credits: Derek Connolly, Colin Trevorrow, J. J. Abrams, Chris Terrio

So I think it's you who doesn't know what they are talking about, friend. The problem that most fans have beyond the writing being poor in general, is that there is little consistency with the overall universe cannon and even worse between the force awakens & the last jedi, this is largely credited to Rian Johnson - at no point have JJ and Rian worked together on this project...

I'm glad you agree that she is to blame.

Well thats trash. It really feels like they've been playing Consequences to come up with this plot.

They could have so EASILY salvaged the end by -
    by pulling a Zuko. It's revealed that though her grandfather on her mums side was Palpatine, her grandfather on her dad's side was a Skywalker.

Then it would explain her sudden motivation and her taking on the name.
    BASIC CAMPFIRE for WARCHIEF UK Prime Minister!

5+ Year Old Account
    here it is, spoiler review, this gonna be good

i died when he did impression of chewie xD
    Last edited by Ihavewaffles; 2019-12-19 at 11:53 PM.

So i guess in the end we finish this much hyped next installment of the beloved Star Wars franchise by: Ending exactly where Return of the Jedi did...

Honestly, what a completely pointless trilogy. We had TFA which was a complete retread of A New Hope, then TLJ, which seemingly tried to build an entirely new movie, then we had TROS, which might as well have completely retconned the last one, as well as the one before that seeing as the galaxy is in pretty much exactly the same place it was at the end of Return of the Jedi. Except, i suppose, a slightly lower amount of "regular people" with access to starships.

As much as it might be nostalgia talking, i really miss the prequel trilogy, at least with that Lucas wanted to tell a different story that explained further elements of the original trilogy.
    He might have been an atrocious director that leaves horrible line deliveries in his wake, but goddamn he knew that the prequels had to be something else, and by god were the prequels something else. The fall of democracy and the intense drama that comes from seeing just how tantalizingly close the universe was from escaping the evil empire.

But hey, at least this one didnt have bad line reads, right? And just think of all that fanservice the fans wanted. I mean, who does George Lucas think he is attempting to make a movie from a place of passion and inspiration? If only he knew that what the public wanted were soulless retreads of old ideas and visuals.
    The world revamp dream will never die!

Quote Originally Posted by Sondrelk View Post
    the galaxy is in pretty much exactly the same place it was at the end of Return of the Jedi.
    Come now. That's not fair. At least they killed off some of the characters we cared about and replaced them with other characters whose names I can't remember.

Quote Originally Posted by Nerovar View Post
    Come now. That's not fair. At least they killed off some of the characters we cared about and replaced them with other characters whose names I can't remember.
    I suppose that is true. Characters dropping like flies. Not Rey though, she is far too interesting and empowering a character to simply die gracefully along with Kylo, ending the series on a genuinely bittersweet note.

On a humorous note though, courtesy of the clone wars and /r prequelmemes.
    When Rey has that yellow lightsaber all i could think of was the Jedi temple guards yelling "cease hostilities"

5+ Year Old Account
    Jedi Master Plo Koon had a golden lightsaber, don't they know that? Trying to pass that as original for rey is just bs...

Quote Originally Posted by Ihavewaffles View Post
    Jedi Master Plo Koon had a golden lightsaber, don't they know that? Trying to pass that as original for rey is just bs...

[IMG]

Cease hostilities!

There shall be no criticising whis obviously massively infuental piece of art and passion.

Ok only good part of this movie is literally the last fight when lando comes and Ben Solo Also han solo vision or such was great touch.

And the movie still didnt explain how the hell palpatine survived.

- - - Updated - - -

Also my one thought everytime in this movie when i saw Rey was "Mary Sue".

Quote Originally Posted by Pozz View Post
    You need to read the full article again if that's what you got from it.
    I read the full article, I even quoted from it.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sondrelk View Post
    Cease hostilities!

There shall be no criticising whis obviously massively infuental piece of art and passion.
    I'd rather see a jedi moomin movie
    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C_Ker3_V0AIAlFk.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Goldielocks View Post
    He didn’t survive in the EU. He was cloned. At least they knew what they were doing. Yes. Invalidating the central victory of the saga is bad. Who’da thunk?

You’re also using many, many false equivalencies here lmao
    The result isn't the important part of RotJ, the turning from the Dark Side to the Light Side of Vader is the important part. It stands true regardless. And it's not like they spared him, they thought they killed him.

I mean, this is a fundamental misunderstanding of what the core of Star Wars is.

I'm not saying Palpatine being alive is a good story hook. In fact, I said if it proved to be in this movie that it was literally him in the same body, that'd be dumb. But it doesn't "invalidate the central victory of the saga." Jeez.

Quote Originally Posted by George Costanza View Post
    Ok only good part of this movie is literally the last fight when lando comes and Ben Solo Also han solo vision or such was great touch.

And the movie still didnt explain how the hell palpatine survived.

- - - Updated - - -

Also my one thought everytime in this movie when i saw Rey was "Mary Sue".
    Clones and references to prequelmemes seems to be what made Palpatine survive based on what i was told on the movie.

The movie might still be too near though, but i felt there was a decent chunk in the middle of the movie where Rey got close to being a compelling character.
    Now realistically none of the Star wars main characters have been truly compelling, Anakin being hamstrung by the direction and Luke just being kinda boring. But i will settle for Rey simply not being insufferable.

It was nice to see this movie have a firmer grasp on proper use of a chekovs gun than TLJ at least, though it became kinda predictable about halfway through when you realized they were literally setting up a laundry list of extremely useful abilities that would be used later. Like the healing one and force vision thing.

Fuckin this new trilogy makes the prequel triology look like Citizen Kane. Holy shit this was a total waste. And Rey is literally the worst Star Wars character ever. Op like shit and annoying cunt. Jar Jar looks like an Oscar performance next to her.

Quote Originally Posted by Chemii View Post
    Force Awakens, writing credits: JJ Abrams, Lawrence Kasdan, Micheal Arndt
    The Last Jedi, writing credit: Rian Johnson
    The Rise of Skywalker, writing credits: Derek Connolly, Colin Trevorrow, J. J. Abrams, Chris Terrio
    None of these people are Kathleen Kennedy, which is the point. Seriously, it's like blaming the Weinsteins for any of the flops they made. She is not a creative. She is an executive. She hired people who are generally considered competent, and she ushered the movie to release, while acting as its spokesperson. She may have some blame in not forcing a collaboration between the directors, but the directors knew each other and also didn't try and collaborate with each other.

But blaming her for the shitty writing is hilarious, at best.

Quote Originally Posted by Fayolynn View Post
    I would have been fine with that if TFA hadn't teased so heavily about who she was.
    Oh, absolutely agreed. There were a lot of story threads hinted at in TFA that just went nowhere... not sure if that was because of the TLJ plot hijack or it just never really being planned out in advance.

The result isn't the important part of RotJ, the turning from the Dark Side to the Light Side of Vader is the important part. It stands true regardless. And it's not like they spared him, they thought they killed him.

I mean, this is a fundamental misunderstanding of what the core of Star Wars is.

I'm not saying Palpatine being alive is a good story hook. In fact, I said if it proved to be in this movie that it was literally him in the same body, that'd be dumb. But it doesn't "invalidate the central victory of the saga." Jeez.
    I mean, sure. Anakin's redemption was part of the point. But you don't get to decide what's important or not. Clearly Vader/Anakin killing Palpatine, the evil Emperor he put into power mattered to many people. Yes, him surviving doesn't ruin Anakin's redemption per se but it does take away from the satisfaction the original end of this story had and for what exactly? Just so they could milk one more old character?

You can't tell me that Palpatine surviving Vader, Luke, Han and Leia doesn't detract from the end of Episode 6. They probably even knew this and decided to go for it anyways because they obviously had no idea where to go with these movies apart from reinvoking nostalgia with updated visuals. Watching this franchise cannibalize itself for some cheap moments is just disgusting.

No it isn’t. You using headcanon doesn’t mean anything. That’s what it used to mean, until George Lucas himself recontextualized it. He’s said multiple times what the chosen one means and what Anakin meant.

It’s not a core misunderstanding. It’s you not accepting what the word of god says, likely because you don’t like it.