Poll: Rate the movie STAR WARS™: The Rise of Skywalker™

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Why would anyone go by fan ratings on RT?
    Which website with am aggregate score and reasonable sample size are you using to refute those numbers?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Nah nah, see... I live by one simple creed: You might catch more flies with honey, but to catch honeys you gotta be fly.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Why would anyone go by fan ratings on RT?
    They tend to be more accurate for me then how critics rate things.

Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    No, the whole crux of bringing balance to the Force was literally his son's goodness counteracting, and redeeming his evilness.
    Luke's gambit is ROTJ is that he puts his father in the position of either turning from evil or killing his own son. And there's a striking symmetry in TLJ between Luke and Kylo Ren, except Luke lacks the relationship with his nephew to force him into the same gambit. He can't redeem him, but he can't kill him, and thus he's paralyzed with grief and self-doubt. But in the end he transcends the dilemma, and realizes that its neither his responsibility to redeem or kill his nephew, only that he must stand in his way to stop him from harming others. Suffering becomes purpose.

To get the bad taste of Episode 9 out of everyone's mouths, here's the greatest trailer of all Star Wars movies.

Quote Originally Posted by Pozz View Post
    Then your take is extremely disingenous. You even have an example of Kathleen Kennedy discussing how she wanted a heist type movie, thus confirming she had a rough overall vision.
    You have Lord and Miller who says the restraints she put up cripples their creativity, and another person backing that up by saying she disagreed with everything they did even how they "folded their socks" which is obviously a hyperbole, but descrivew a person trying to micromanage the entire thing.

You picking up on the clash part and only focusing on that shows extreme bias.
    There is literally nothing in that article saying "Kathleen Kennedy wanted a heist movie," I had to re-read it to make sure I didn't miss paragraphs or something. What it did say was a partial quote about wanting a heist movie, and then next sentence said "We've talked about Remington..." etc etc, showing this was a creative's decision. You think Kathleen Kennedy has any fucking idea about spaghetti Westerns, and it wasn't Kasdan, who wrote Raiders of the Lost Ark and the Empire Strikes Back? As the EP, she's speaking for the production as a whole, and every conflict in that article seems to be between Kasdan and the directors, and she backed up Kasdan.

An anonymous source using so much hyperbole, on the directors behalf, sounds like a source from their PR team, and not anyone actually on set. And even the "folding socks" comment, while hyperbole, is not about creative direction, but about how they actually did shit. For example, this article: https://collider.com/han-solo-movie-...ard-star-wars/ Kennedy says,

"I think these guys are hilarious, but they come from a background of animation and sketch comedy and when you are making these movies you can do that and there’s plenty of room for improvisation, we do that all the time, but it has to be inside of a highly structured process or you can’t get the work done and you can’t move the armies of people to anticipate and have things ready. So, it literally came down to process. Just getting it done… These are really great guys and you know, nobody wanted this to happen. It was just one of those unfortunate things."
    Even Variety has another article on what happened on Solo, instead of the "instant news" scoop article you wrote, which basically just cited instant reactions from both side. Variety's in-depth article looked at other shit: https://variety.com/2018/film/featur...rd-1202817841/, outlining how it was mostly an issue between Kasdan and the directors.

So what wasn’t working? For screenwriter Lawrence Kasdan, the elder creative statesman of the enterprise whose work on the “Star Wars” series goes back to “The Empire Strikes Back” in 1980, it was an issue of tone on the screen and exactitude on the set.

“Tone is everything to me. That’s what movies are made of,” Kasdan says. “But this was a very complicated situation. When you go to work in the morning on a ‘Star Wars’ movie, there are thousands of people waiting for you, and you have to be very decisive and very quick about it. When you are making those split-second decisions — and there are a million a day — then you are committing to a certain tone. If the [producers] think that isn’t the tone of the movie, you’re going to have trouble. It may not always end this way, but no one was happy about it. It was agony.”

Reports suggested Lord and Miller had gone overboard with improvisation, moving farther and farther away from what was on the page. But Kasdan’s son and co-writer Jonathan has a different take.

“The issues we were having were much more in the bones and practical,” he says. “Chris and Phil did everything they could to make it work, as did we. The questions only became about how to make the movie most efficiently in the time we had to do it.”

A crew member who worked on the film under both Lord-Miller and Howard, but declined to be identified because he was not authorized to disclose the information, says Lord and Miller drew Kennedy’s ire for stretching days out with experimentation.

“I got a lot of overtime [under Lord and Miller], which ultimately was their downfall,” the crew member says. “The first assistant director brokers that with production. He ultimately went to the well one too many times, and Kathleen Kennedy blew up.”

The crew member also says Howard had a firmer grip on what he wanted and how he wanted to shoot it. Under Howard, one second unit sequence took up half the stage space at Pinewood Studios that it did under Lord and Miller and a fraction of the time, the crew member says.

“Howard was inseparable from [director of photography] Bradford Young,” says the crew member. “You can totally see the love affair because Howard seemed super invested in how the film looked. Lord and Miller didn’t seem too fussed with that aspect, really.”
    This is literally in her role as EP. Notice it didn't say anything about the creative process of the movie at all, just about the literal making of it.

Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i think darth treia had the right idea, the galaxy would be better off if the force itself were destroyed. but idk if that's possible.
    Good, nuanced fantasy - i.e. any story where magic or the supernatural is presented as a part of material reality - doesn't shy away from the implicit contradictions that it creates. Yes, magic solves problems, but it also creates problems. As much as KOTOR2 was a bit of a rushed mess, Kreia in this regard was one of the most interesting characters introduced in the secondary canon (and, TBH, more interesting than even a lot of primary canon characters).

Quote Originally Posted by Slybak View Post
    Good, nuanced fantasy - i.e. any story where magic or the supernatural is presented as a part of material reality - doesn't shy away from the implicit contradictions that it creates. Yes, magic solves problems, but it also creates problems. As much as KOTOR2 was a bit of a rushed mess, Kreia in this regard was one of the most interesting characters introduced in the secondary canon (and, TBH, more interesting than even a lot of primary canon characters).
    well, she was basically chris avallone's(basically the main writer for kotor 2) inherent distaste for straight up good vs. evil with no shades of grey storytelling(which is what star wars fundamentally was in george lucas' original design) manifest as a character, with the player meant to realize she is wrong by the end of the game. at least, that's how i've seen people sum her up.

(as a side note, this should legitimately be a law written by the government, that people have to do this before they even attempt to make a movie/game/show/whatever about a universe " In preparation to write Knights of the Old Republic II, lead designer Chris Avellone tried to learn as much about the Star Wars universe as possible. He read many books, guides, modules, and graphic novels, and the Obsidian team also relied on the first Knights of the Old Republic and the original Star Wars films for inspiration.[2]" gives me a lot of respect for this dude.)

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldielocks View Post
    There's just as much cringe in TROS, if not more. I remember I just started laughing when Dark Rey hissed at Rey. Fucking hell those monster teeth.
    thats fair i thought they might be going for like a little darth maul rey type of thing with the double sabre and the teeth but yes agree

lmao chow down on this pre-chewed garbage.
    No, it's my genuine believe that The Last Jedi is the worst Star Wars movie. By far. Rose is even more annoying than Jar Jar. And most of the film is pointless. And that lightspeed attack has to be retconed or it would break literally every Battle in Star Wars.

It's not pre chewed, I watched the movie and that shit was more cringe than anakin/padmes lovestory. Pure garbage with jokes at the wrong times and no name characters left and right.

I believe that you have to be trolling to state that TLJ was a good movie. Or your taste in films is absolutely horrible and your opinion worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by ZazuuPriest View Post
    Return of the Jedi is easily the 3rd worst movie in the franchise behind TLJ at 1 and TPM at 2. The cringe factor throughout the entire movie is astronomical
    Aside from the ewoks, is it cringy though? I can't remember one thing about the movie that makes me uncomfortable. The cutesy characters don't speak, the story follows a greater arch, it's straightforward. Sure, it kinda rehashes episode 4 and the special effects are not that flashy but the movie is pretty old by nowadays' standards, so that's acceptable. It brings the series to a worthy end.

Quote Originally Posted by LordVargK View Post
    No, it's my genuine believe that The Last Jedi is the worst Star Wars movie. By far. Rose is even more annoying than Jar Jar. And most of the film is pointless. And that lightspeed attack has to be retconed or it would break literally every Battle in Star Wars.
    "Less stupid jokes, Rey is learning something at last, no feminist agenda and the movie had a coherent red thread."

Go outside.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Voidism View Post
    I have barely read the thread and I haven't watched the movie, but giving any movie a 0 seems a bit exaggerated.
    Random internet "critics" are usually toxic.

In before "uh uh but what about the people who rate the movies 10/10, we need to counter that with 0/10"

Quote Originally Posted by Kyphael View Post
    To get the bad taste of Episode 9 out of everyone's mouths, here's the greatest trailer of all Star Wars movies.

I liked this version a lot better.

TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

"Less stupid jokes, Rey is learning something at last, no feminist agenda and the movie had a coherent red thread."

Go outside.
    You know what I mean by that. The fact that this purple haired commander that is so unremarkable that I didn't even get her name while watching the movie, who was never introduced before and served no purpose besides putting Poe in his place and telling him literally to trust in her plan, which she never explained and which seemed nonexistent, got so much screentime in which she did nothing. This was either incredibly bad and unlogical storytelling or served as a way to push the "the force is female" agenda by writing in seemingly powerful female characters that put men in their place. I can't think of any other good reason why this part of the film exists. But if you have another explanation for this, please, enlighten me.
    Last edited by LordVargK; 2019-12-20 at 05:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    I liked this version a lot better.

That's very well made, it's fan-made right? I'd never seen it before, it pretty much summarizes the whole story and doesn't seem like a trailer.

Currently at 87% on RT by user scores. I did say that what critics dislike, common people tend to like

I've had a few days to think about the movie. It's honestly in my top4.

1. ESB
    2. RotS
    3. ANH
    4.RotSky

Quote Originally Posted by LordVargK View Post
    You know what I mean by that. The fact that this purple haired commander
    The other commander was a giant fish. Go outside.

Quote Originally Posted by Deathknightish View Post
    Currently at 87% on RT by user scores. I did say that what critics dislike, common people tend to like

I've had a few days to think about the movie. It's honestly in my top4.

1. ESB
    2. RotS
    3. ANH
    4.RotSky
    The die hard fans who went to see it first night liked it? Shocking. The same thing was said regarding TLJ and we see how that turned out.

The other commander was a giant fish. Go outside.

Yeah, conveniently ignore the rest of my comment, where I explain my problem with the character.
    And btw: giant fish beats purple haired lady because there are already too many humans in Star Wars. He was the only nonhuman, living character in the Rebellion besides Chewbacca, or am I wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by Gulantik View Post
    Secondly, an arrow can pierce Stormtrooper helmets now?
    To be fair, that's completely acceptable. Every significant weapon in the Star Wars universe is energy based, so reasonably they'd design their armor to resist energy-based weapons. Even worse, they're all really slow energy weapons at that, so there's not even much kinetic energy behind them (seriously, they travel less than 80 miles per hour in the majority of cases, certainly with blasters).

A single arrow would have no trouble defeating armor not designed for ballistic attacks. And God forbid anyone pull out a revolver let alone a minigun or something. They'd rule the galaxy with that sort of (comparatively) super tech.

It's kind of like how they apparently never developed decent monitors, seeing as how the few screens we do ever see are just vector images, and why they rely on shitty holograms as well. Take a smartphone and a M-16 to the Star Wars galaxy to reverse engineer and you'd be the richest mother fucker in all the systems.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyphael View Post
    That's very well made, it's fan-made right? I'd never seen it before, it pretty much summarizes the whole story and doesn't seem like a trailer.
    It shows how 1-6 is a cohesive story and 7-9 feel like tacked-on garbage.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.