10+ Year Old Account

Time to stop shitposting?

Welp, from the thread about when do we post, we know that there are a few who take a literal approach to shitposting. It seems they are not alone, and some see that as a problem ... with a solution that could make them money: https://news.yahoo.com/slanted-toile...165635184.html

A toilet designed by a British startup called StandardToilet has a downward-sloping seat designed to make it painful to spend more than five minutes on, the startup's founder, Mahabir Gill, told Wired on Monday.

StandardToilet's website says the toilet, which costs $200 to $650, is meant to improve efficiency at companies, promising that the uncomfortable seat will discourage employees from using social media while in the bathroom.
    I don't see it working here, where there are either squatters or the occasional handicapped stall that the cleaning staff almost always transform into their personal office and storage space (usually by filling it with mops and disabling the toilet).

So, do you see this as something real in the workplace, or is it just a gimmick that is going to make money off of anal retentive types in management? Bonus question, how many of you are going to laugh when you encounter one of these ... and lean against the wall for 10-15 minutes anyway?
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

Quote Originally Posted by bungeebungee View Post
    Welp, from the thread about when do we post, we know that there are a few who take a literal approach to shitposting. It seems they are not alone, and some see that as a problem ... with a solution that could make them money: https://news.yahoo.com/slanted-toile...165635184.html

I don't see it working here, where there are either squatters or the occasional handicapped stall that the cleaning staff almost always transform into their personal office and storage space (usually by filling it with mops and disabling the toilet).

So, do you see this as something real in the workplace, or is it just a gimmick that is going to make money off of anal retentive types in management? Bonus question, how many of you are going to laugh when you encounter one of these ... and lean against the wall for 10-15 minutes anyway?
    I think this whole concept is some type of lawsuit waiting to happen.

For example, I literally cannot physically take a dump in under 5 minutes. I had a type of surgery called a Laparoscopic Resection of the Meckel's diverticulum as a child. It's a relatively common condition that about 6% of people have. I have a completely normal life, digestion etc, but a long term byproduct of the surgery and the subsequent treatment is that it takes slightly longer to initiate bowel movement. It's not painful or anything, it just takes a few minutes more. So even in the best of cases going to the loo will be 10 to 15 minutes for me.

And this is literally just one of hundreds of other medical conditions that might make this whole idea fucking dumb. Not to mention people with disabilities etc.

If a workplace intentionally turns this experience into something painful when it doesn't need to be, I'm pretty sure you'd have grounds to sue pretty much anywhere in the developed world.

The entire fucking concept is both offensive and asinine, and someone from HR needs to slap some sense into Mr. Gill and whoever greenlighted any funding for this concept.
    Last edited by Mihalik; 2019-12-20 at 06:45 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Perhaps jobs should better incentivize their workers for being productive employees, rather than going out of their way to try and physically punish them.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mihalik
    The entire fucking concept is both offensive and asinine, and someone from HR needs to slap some sense into Mr. Gill and whoever greenlighted any funding for this concept.
    Yep, I agree! I'm going to predict the company's work around though: "oh, but we still have handicapped accessible stalls for those who need them!"

And you know how well those usually work.
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

Sounds so stupid and only think of men who can stand up to pee, while women would have to sit and be uncomfortable?

Who even shits at work unless they absolutely have to in the first place? Besides that, from personal experience I would say the average worker spends orders of magnitude more time on coffee breaks than on the loo. This is just another asshole that wants to dehumanize people for their biologic needs in hopes to make a quick buck.
    You are welcome, Metzen. I hope you won't fuck up my underground expansion idea.

Is this legal? o.O

I mean, you are intentionally causing harm to your employees...
    I may not be an overachiever, but my Druid is richer than half of Venezuela.

Weird how some of the most successful business in the world have very good employee conditions. How places that let people work 4 days a week, take naps mid day and the like report increases in productivity, its almost as if humans are more effective doing things that has joy attached to it. I know its weird it doesent make sense!

Can we just skip the intermediary steps and go straight bringing whips back?

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Lol. One of the upper supervisors where I worked before I retired, make the proposal that smoke detectors should be installed over each stall, equipped with water sprinklers which would engage if anyone was smoking in there. Which was a problem at that time. Of course it was never implemented.

If a company was to make their employees use only outdoor portable toilets, that would work. lol!

I am not seriously suggesting this however. The main issue is the lack of management in enforcing employee productivity. And if they are being productive, they should not give a shit how long they spend on the toilets anyway.
    Last edited by Ghostpanther; 2019-12-20 at 01:32 PM.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Perhaps jobs should better incentivize their workers for being productive employees, rather than going out of their way to try and physically punish them.
    Pretty much this.

The toilet is a half measure grounded on a possible misinterpretation of the problem

If a company's employees are spending perceived excessive amounts on the toilet, the company should be asking them what the problem is and why do they feel the way they do

Anyone who thinks they will increase productivity is a fool, this will do nothing but piss off their employees and possibility open them up to lawsuits as not everyone can just "go" on demand.

10+ Year Old Account
    A highly disgruntled constituent of Lindsey Graham.
    Classic example of solving something that is not the actual problem.

Which is more likely to cause productivity problems?
    1) Employees taking long bathroom breaks to use social media
    2) Low morale due to working for a company that is willing to pay $650 for an extra uncomfortable toilet just to ensure you are miserable.

If a company pulled that kind of crap the only correct response is your notice.

It shows a very deep level of distrust and I dare say an authoritarian ownership of not only your time but your body during work hours that should be a HUGE red flag to get out as soon as possible.

Slip off it, bang head. Win lawsuit, $$$!!

Quote Originally Posted by Katie N View Post
    Sounds so stupid and only think of men who can stand up to pee, while women would have to sit and be uncomfortable?
    As Jon Stewart once said; Sometimes my legs get tired.

Soo, the people behind this are giant assholes. Got it. Can't wait to see what they come up with next:

- Keyboard with electrical current when WPM drops too much
    - HVAC addon which drops rotten egg scent into building if performance goals aren't met
    - Toilet paper dispenser with unique employee codes to ensure each person gets an efficient 8 squares per day (high performers get 9)

10+ Year Old Account
    Fuck off. Judge me on my work, not whether I'm in my seat. The one job I've had where this kind of shit would even remotely be relevant was a call center job where I had to in my seat taking calls. But they could tell when I logged out to go take a dump. If I was regularly taking 30 minute poop breaks to use social media, they'd have been having a chat with me, torture toilets or no. And that job was soul-crushing garbage.

If it's anything even remotely skilled? My toilet time is thinkin' time. Leave me alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Haidaes View Post
    Who even shits at work unless they absolutely have to in the first place?

It's a meme, but it's on-topic, mods.

For the guys.....imagine getting a nutwash every time you flush or the feel of cold porcelain against your penis.

"Would you please let me join your p-p-party?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Get that commie talk out of here, and get back to your 15 hour shift citizen!

and /s, cause this forum can't take a joke without making it personal anymore.
    Fod Sparta los wuth, ahrk okaaz gekenlok kruziik himdah, dinok fent kos rozol do daan wah jer do Samos. Ahrk haar do Heracles fent motaad, fah strunmah vonun fent yolein ko yol