Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Echocho View Post
    The same doesn't seem to apply to the retail community and its the same game after all.
    https://www.pcgamesn.com/dota-2/toxic-online-community

According to that, DOTA 2 has the highest toxicity. WoW has one of the least. I think Classic has attracted a lot of bad players, allowed ninja looting, and has issues and overpowered specs. Retail is definitely not that.

Quote Originally Posted by Ifeanychukwu View Post
    I have never seen anything like that happen while playing FFXIV lol. FFXIV has the best community of any MMO I've ever played, don't know what you're on about at all.
    Very funny...
    Last edited by Necromantic; 2019-12-20 at 02:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ifeanychukwu View Post
    I have never seen anything like that happen while playing FFXIV lol. FFXIV has the best community of any MMO I've ever played, don't know what you're on about at all.
    It is nice as long as you do not do savage raids. Once you do, you better be good or you will get yelled at/kicked, etc... and honestly, I do not have problem with that.

Quote Originally Posted by CrawlFromThePit View Post
    I don't yell at people irl, but in the very specific context of running a M+, if someone makes a mistake, is told politely how to do it right, and fucks up again several times, they will reach a point where I do believe they deserve to be either yelled at or ridiculed. Because at this point they are the ones being toxic to the rest of the group. Toxicity is not just being bad mannered, toxic is anything that makes the experience unpleasant, that can very well be in actions alone. If people should make effort to be less toxic and more polite, others equally have to make efforts to be better and less bad.

It's perfectly logical, right? I mean why should one group of people be accepted for all their shortcomings but the other group is supposed to not only be forced to carry them, but also do it in the kindest way without saying a word to express their feelings? And keep in mind I'm never talking about throwing insults right off the bat I made this very clear that I don't support this at all. But it seems extremely selfish and naive to expect everyone to remain perfectly friendly to you when you waste their time, right? There's like a range of acceptance, where people should not be yelled at for the first mistakes but also shouldn't expect the group to be happy if they fuck up a bunch of times either. It's like give and recieve, can't have one side give all the time, we're all in there together.

- - - Updated - - -

I've had that happen to me in Classic, some terrible rogue got raped by mobs at the limit of my vision, I got there and saw the chest surrounded by mobs, as I was fighting them the rogue respawned and stole the chest he very obviously did not deserve.

Needless to say I showed that bitch what toxic sounds like after his toxic behaviour. Mutually toxic, does that cancel out?
    Nah, if you are toxic back you descend to his level. Just use sarcasm like. "Nice catch, mate!"

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by arkanon View Post
    So......it was their chest. They opened it. What's the issue?
    You are a nice Echo Isles villager.

Quote Originally Posted by Xlightning View Post
    Nah, if you are toxic back you descend to his level. Just use sarcasm like. "Nice catch, mate!"
    Agreed. Most people will laugh at someone raging at them. I've used sarcasm too for calling out ninjas in the past. Someone needs on something that's worse than what they have when the other person clearly needed it, I'd say "congrats on upgrade!"

Quote Originally Posted by Specialka View Post
    It is nice as long as you do not do savage raids. Once you do, you better be good or you will get yelled at/kicked, etc... and honestly, I do not have problem with that.
    Fair enough, I'd say that's probably true for a lot of players at the high end of content.

The same doesn't seem to apply to the retail community and its the same game after all.
    It's amazing to me that an obvious bait thread that doesn't define its subject (toxicity- in what way and what circumstances) and presents absolutely zero evidence to support his claim generated 13 pages of responses.

Here's another example of non-toxic behaviour...got into a mara group...it was taking a while to find a healer so I informed the group that I was taking the dog for a quick pee and pooh while we waited to avoid her having to go during the run. As luck would have it shortly after I started the brief walk (5-7 minutes) the group got a healer. By the time I got back they were already inside the Dungeon. In Retail that would have been an instant kick for me. They used the sceptre and I don't have it. The healer, who had the sceptre, had to get a port from the mage to TB and fly back to shadow prey village and let me in...again another instant kick for me in Retail (and before you say that's only because its hard to find peeps for groups you have to consider that a) i'm on a high pop server b) i'm dps and easily replaceable and 3) the time it took to get me into the dungeon was probably equal to the time it would have took to get a replacement there)...we then wiped on the first pull due to everyone forgetting about silences of the crocs...that's an instant leave group for everyone in Retail...we gathered back up, joked about it, chatted occasionally during the run and every thing else went smoothly.

I have a 46 mage, 33 lock and a 26 shaman...I'm in a guild of 4 toons (my 3 toons and 1 friend's alt). I have pugged almost every dungeon run I have done and with the exception of 2 runs have had nothing but otherwise positive experiences...so I do not know what toxicity you're talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by Sensa1 View Post
    It's amazing to me that an obvious bait thread that doesn't define its subject (toxicity- in what way and what circumstances) and presents absolutely zero evidence to support his claim generated 13 pages of responses.

Here's another example of non-toxic behaviour...got into a mara group...it was taking a while to find a healer so I informed the group that I was taking the dog for a quick pee and pooh while we waited to avoid her having to go during the run. As luck would have it shortly after I started the brief walk (5-7 minutes) the group got a healer. By the time I got back they were already inside the Dungeon. In Retail that would have been an instant kick for me. They used the sceptre and I don't have it. The healer, who had the sceptre, had to get a port from the mage to TB and fly back to shadow prey village and let me in...again another instant kick for me in Retail (and before you say that's only because its hard to find peeps for groups you have to consider that a) i'm on a high pop server b) i'm dps and easily replaceable and 3) the time it took to get me into the dungeon was probably equal to the time it would have took to get a replacement there)...we then wiped on the first pull due to everyone forgetting about silences of the crocs...that's an instant leave group for everyone in Retail...we gathered back up, joked about it, chatted occasionally during the run and every thing else went smoothly.

I have a 46 mage, 33 lock and a 26 shaman...I'm in a guild of 4 toons (my 3 toons and 1 friend's alt). I have pugged almost every dungeon run I have done and with the exception of 2 runs have had nothing but otherwise positive experiences...so I do not know what toxicity you're talking about.
    I did not know that your experience was to be taken as a generality. The classic folks are really interesting.

10+ Year Old Account
    Human nature, everywhere has toxic parts...just some of the most toxic people in Classic are very vocal and feel the need to show off their e-peen and claim Classic is destroying Retail...even if they have to lie to "show" it.

That and people were expecting that playing a 15 year old game somehow the community would return to a similar one of that 15 years ago, that wasn't the case.

Classic community is considered toxic by retail.
    Retail community is considered toxic by classic.

People just see what they wanna see.

I'll just chime in with my retail experiences. I play on Quel'thalas in Alliance, and the only real toxicity I ran into while grouping was a particularly terrible rogue that couldn't pull his own weight, but was the first to start talking smack when our tank accidentally overpulled ONE TIME. To be fair, I run most of my dungeons with my guild, for one specific reason...

Generally in pugs you will very often run into people that pretend to be bots - they claimed they know the mechanics at the start of the run(or never spoke), and then they fuck up. No problem, I usually throw in an explanation on what went wrong and how to avoid it when that happens, like "move out of the green pools" or "don't stand in front of the boss". Then they fuck up again, the exact same way, over and over again, usually being the first to die on every boss in the dungeon - all the while pretending that they suddenly don't know how to speak English. These people are why everyone makes stupidly unrealistic demands on gear and rio scores, because if half of the pugging population apparently consists of blind mole-people that can't move out of a very obvious pool, or can't move out of the way of a boss that's very obviously winding up a swing that will send you into orbit around Jupiter, the only thing left is to brute-force it by overgearing, or to fish for the very top 5% that put in the effort to learn.

"D I S P O S E D O F"
    "B A C K T O R E T A I L"
    "L O L"

There are 5-man groups running around ganking lv 50s for honor and camping them while spamming shit like that. It's not as bad now that BGs are out, but shit like this really colored my opinion of the classic community early on.
    Although I know there are toxic morons like these on retail aswell, but I personally have never seen them.. So yeah.

I've noticed it's the hardcore side of the community that's extremely toxic and that applies to both versions of the game. Classic feels worse overall because a much higher percentage of the players maintain that hardcore mindset when it comes to min-maxing every aspect of their gameplay and if you don't know every little detail about your class and exactly how to gear it you're a complete moron who obviously doesn't deserve to be playing with the "good" players. It's also got the problem of private server elitists who've been playing for years and expect everyone to have the same level of understanding of mechanics that they do.

Retail players are generally pretty chill until it comes to their weekly M+15 or whatever is required for the max reward in which case if you're not playing the optimal group comp and chain-pulling the entire dungeon with everyone pulling 200k+ dps you're complete trash not only as a player but as a human being in general.

In the end though no one can even pretend it's a "Classic vs Retail" issue. Every game in existence has a toxic community for one reason or another and it's a people problem not a game problem.

I think the answer is right here on this very forum - not just in the content, but in the popular threads. Of the front page:

Half are about how bad the game is and what changes NEED to be done before 90% of the players quit

And the other half are about retail for some reason.

lolwhat, classic community is amazing, i didnt expect this when i started and im on a huge pvp server, had a random guy gift me 1g, some1 helped me with a q for 10 mins even tho he didnt even have that q and many other things, ppl talk and have patience, in retail ppl act like robots dont even talk and if u make a mistake they shit on u and insta leave grps, i hope retail fails so badly that blizz starts creating content for vanilla and tbc

Quote Originally Posted by Bumkin View Post
    lolwhat, classic community is amazing, i didnt expect this when i started and im on a huge pvp server, had a random guy gift me 1g, some1 helped me with a q for 10 mins even tho he didnt even have that q and many other things, ppl talk and have patience, in retail ppl act like robots dont even talk and if u make a mistake they shit on u and insta leave grps, i hope retail fails so badly that blizz starts creating content for vanilla and tbc
    I have had the exact opposite experience, and based on this thread alone, it would seem you are in the minority. Im glad that you have had a good experience, however, i find exceedingly immature to wish a game you dont even play fails - so pathetic.

I have had the exact opposite experience, and based on this thread alone, it would seem you are in the minority. Im glad that you have had a good experience, however, i find exceedingly immature to wish a game you dont even play fails - so pathetic.
    retail for me is like an ex that broke my heart and im still angry about it and i want things to be like they were before (like TBC and wrath)

Quote Originally Posted by Bumkin View Post
    retail for me is like an ex that broke my heart and im still angry about it and i want things to be like they were before (like TBC and wrath)
    HAHA, this is pretty accurate to be fair. Wrath was the last expansion that totally blew me away, but a good part of that is probably my age and my life at the time - no wife, no kids, shift work = DAYS at a time free to play wow - it was great! Legion was actually the first expac that didnt really fire on all cylinders for me, although i still enjoyed parts of it, and BFA is the first 'basically nothing i like about it' expac.

Quote Originally Posted by Brenz View Post
    I have played ff14 since heavensward and he is right.
    I can count on one hand the bad community experiences I have had in that time.
    Bad joke but Merry Christmas

lolwut?

Quote Originally Posted by Necromantic View Post
    Bad joke but Merry Christmas

lolwut?
    Are you confused by the very basic language used? Or the extremely simple concept put forward?