Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

I am interested in Dark Souls but I have no controller.

Want to buy 1 and 3 but I have no controller. I only use mouse and keyboard. Should I buy it?

Quote Originally Posted by Wildmoon View Post
    Want to buy 1 and 3 but I have no controller. I only use mouse and keyboard. Should I buy it?
    with the recent remake Dark souls 1 is actually playable without a controller (I hate controllers, so i played all of them without, even with DSfix DS1 was a struggle, should be better now though)

You do not need a controller, the main issue is trying to figure out Keybinds etc, took me 3 play throughs of DS1 before i learned how to do a Jumping attack with Mouse and Keyboard

But you should buy it, even without a controller, I would highly recommend just also buying a Controller, without any personal experience I am still absolutely confident Dark souls is more enjoyable with a controller.

Both are playable with KB&M just fine but I do recommend a controller.

Check your local game store or store like walmart and grab a afterglow one for like $25-$30.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

I can't recommend any of the souls games with a mouse and keyboard. Which is weird to say, because I'm one of those PC-Master-Race kind of gamers. I recently did a deathless run of both DS1 and DS3 using a controller(died on 2nd to last boss in DS3). So it's not like I'm some noobscrub who doesn't know how to play, either.

I know a few people who DO play dark souls with mouse+KB, but it seems alien to me. You can absolutely do it, but I think your experience will be better using a controller. And there are many other games which are like that. Hollow Knight or Ori and the Blind Forest. Any of the souls-like games, such as Sekiro, Nioh, or The Surge.

Just an FYI: Xbox 360 controllers are great and cheap, but aren't supported past win7. But you can't often find them in good condition anymore. If you're using win8 or win10, you'll have to go with an Xbone controller. Technically I guess you could also use a dualshock controller...but I've found those to be flimsy and uncomfortable in the hand.

My personal preference is the Switch Pro controller. But those are spendy, and you have to go through steam to get it to work properly on PC. Most comfortable and sturdy controller I've ever owned. Definitely worth the investment of money.
    Last edited by SirCowdog; 2019-12-20 at 12:25 PM.

DS3 and the DS1 remake are definitly playable without a controller. my question is? why would you want to? its universally accepted that most 3rd person action games play better with a controller.
    dont get me wrong, you do you, and if you want to stick with KB+M, thats fine. but im curious as to why.

I beat all souls games and sekiro multiple times on mouse/keyboard with 0 problems. Just figure out comfortable keybinds once and carry on through all games.

Welp, seem like it's gonna be a bad experience. I am gonne skip then. Thanks for answers.

Welp, seem like it's gonna be a bad experience. I am gonne skip then. Thanks for answers.
    Just get like a $15-20 controller. You'll use it on other games. Hell, you could probably find a used one for $10.

Don't do it. Controller makes the games much easier.

What's in it that makes it bad without a controller? The Witcher 3 worked perfect for me with mouse and keyboard. Are they similar?

if you're used to playing on a PC. it wont matter.

Buy a controller

10+ Year Old Account
    Why not just buy a controller? A wired USB one is super easy to set up and they are cheap as hell. Or if you have a PS3/PS4 you can just use a DualShock. The one screen button prompts will likely show up and 360 buttons, but it will still work.

Quote Originally Posted by SirCowdog View Post
    Just an FYI: Xbox 360 controllers are great and cheap, but aren't supported past win7. But you can't often find them in good condition anymore. If you're using win8 or win10, you'll have to go with an Xbone controller. Technically I guess you could also use a dualshock controller...but I've found those to be flimsy and uncomfortable in the hand.
    Is it only actual Microsoft controllers that don't work with anything after 7? Cause I use a 3rd party 360 controller and have not had any issues on Win10. Got one off of Amazon for like $15 bucks.

I can't recommend any of the souls games with a mouse and keyboard. Which is weird to say, because I'm one of those PC-Master-Race kind of gamers. I recently did a deathless run of both DS1 and DS3 using a controller(died on 2nd to last boss in DS3). So it's not like I'm some noobscrub who doesn't know how to play, either.

I know a few people who DO play dark souls with mouse+KB, but it seems alien to me. You can absolutely do it, but I think your experience will be better using a controller. And there are many other games which are like that. Hollow Knight or Ori and the Blind Forest. Any of the souls-like games, such as Sekiro, Nioh, or The Surge.

My personal preference is the Switch Pro controller. But those are spendy, and you have to go through steam to get it to work properly on PC. Most comfortable and sturdy controller I've ever owned. Definitely worth the investment of money.
    I had no idea that 360 controllers werent officially supported for win10, does that actually cause any issues? I've used my old 360 controller for as long as I remember and havent had any problems with any game so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Skizzit View Post
    Why not just buy a controller? A wired USB one is super easy to set up and they are cheap as hell. Or if you have a PS3/PS4 you can just use a DualShock. The one screen button prompts will likely show up and 360 buttons, but it will still work.

Is it only actual Microsoft controllers that don't work with anything after 7? Cause I use a 3rd party 360 controller and have not had any issues on Win10. Got one off of Amazon for like $15 bucks.
    Well, I don't want to buy a controller just to play 2 games. 30$ is not that cheap to me.

Well, I don't want to buy a controller just to play 2 games. 30$ is not that cheap to me.
    Buy one of the DS games then buy a controller, Buy the other DS game later.

- - - Updated - - -

My 360 Afterglow works just fine, So maybe its first party ones only.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

10+ Year Old Account
    I finished all Dark Souls and Sekiro with K/M, and it really isn't a bad experience. It just comes down to what you are used to. The only game I've ever preferred a controller was Hollow Knight. I'm not much of a console player, and a controller feels alien to me, hence I'm much better with K/M.

Here's your options;

1. Buy DS1 and buy a controller
    2. Buy DS3 and buy a controller
    3. Save your money if $30 is too much for you to spend. Maybe put it towards something so you can earn more.

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    Buy one of the DS games then buy a controller, Buy the other DS game later.

- - - Updated - - -

My 360 Afterglow works just fine, So maybe its first party ones only.
    My original, official Microsoft 360 controler works absolutely fine on Windows 10, same for my gf. I have no clue what you guys are talking about.

Ot: I originally played ds1 on pc with mouse and keyboard, and finished it that way. I then played it with a controler, and immediately wanted to punch myself in the face for ever even considering kbm. Of course it works, but you are absolutely handicapping yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Cairhiin View Post
    I finished all Dark Souls and Sekiro with K/M, and it really isn't a bad experience. It just comes down to what you are used to. The only game I've ever preferred a controller was Hollow Knight. I'm not much of a console player, and a controller feels alien to me, hence I'm much better with K/M.
    Gonna try DS3 with mouse and keyboard since it's very cheap right now on steam.