Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by qwikz View Post
    I had no idea that 360 controllers werent officially supported for win10, does that actually cause any issues? I've used my old 360 controller for as long as I remember and havent had any problems with any game so far.
    I use win7, and I know for a fact that Xbone controllers will not work on it. I learned this the hard way when I tried to replace my broken 360 controller(I like the grip better on them) and had to buy an Xbone controller because no one sold 360s anymore.

As I said, AFAIK 360 controllers are not officially supported past win7. You might be able to get around it with an emulator, but to be honest, you're probably better off going with a Dual Shock, Xbone controller, or upgrading to the Switch Pro(which steam fully supports).

As a side note, My switch Pro controller isn't supported by Origin. So when I tried to play Jedi Fallen order, I thought I was going to have to use an inferior controller. Turns out you can launch Origin THROUGH STEAM, and thus Steam functionality for the pro controller works. XD So dumb! But it works perfectly.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Skizzit View Post
    Is it only actual Microsoft controllers that don't work with anything after 7? Cause I use a 3rd party 360 controller and have not had any issues on Win10. Got one off of Amazon for like $15 bucks.
    It's possible. I'm not using win10, so I haven't looked into it extensively.

Like said by others, I recommend a controller also. Normally i'm quite adamant about sticking to keyboard, I prefer platformers for example where most wouldn't; But dark souls just feels straight bad to me when using K/M. Maybe it's not as bad now as it was years ago though, there have been remasters since then and I haven't looked into their specific changes.

A M/K setup is more precise from my experience. Can turn on a dime better with a mouse.

If you feel this way, stop listening to the controller people. I've never played DS with a controller until DS3 when I got it in PS4. It's odd and tougher to maneuver if you ask me. I could flick roll my mouse, whereas on a controller it's not so. Preference I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildmoon View Post
    What's in it that makes it bad without a controller? The Witcher 3 worked perfect for me with mouse and keyboard. Are they similar?
    Biggest problem is that the prompts do not change their icon to KBM scheme, making you second guess everything. At least its not as bad as the first PC port of Resident Evil 4 (god that one was horrifying experience).
    Second, 360 radius thumbstick gives you more freedom when attacking without lockon (at least in my opinion).
    Third, there are multiple stages between run and walk that are impossible to do with keyboard.

Otherwise, DS1 was perfectly playable with KBM. DS2 has some truly awful control scheme that actualy made me buy the controler. Didnt try DS3 with KBM after that but people say its fine.
    Last edited by Verdugo; 2019-12-20 at 05:12 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    KB+M is a terrible setup for anything except MMO's, FPS's that only use a couple buttons, and RTS's. Third person games just do not work with a KB+M. The main issue is you lose analog movement. The only time it works is when you need the mouse for fine aiming (FPS), you need the mouse for selecting things (RTS), or when you just need access to a TON of abilities that are far too numerous for a controller (MMO). I certainly couldn't go without a controller on my gaming PC.

Quote Originally Posted by Skizzit View Post
    Is it only actual Microsoft controllers that don't work with anything after 7? Cause I use a 3rd party 360 controller and have not had any issues on Win10. Got one off of Amazon for like $15 bucks.
    Quote Originally Posted by SirCowdog View Post
    I use win7, and I know for a fact that Xbone controllers will not work on it. I learned this the hard way when I tried to replace my broken 360 controller(I like the grip better on them) and had to buy an Xbone controller because no one sold 360s anymore.

As I said, AFAIK 360 controllers are not officially supported past win7. You might be able to get around it with an emulator, but to be honest, you're probably better off going with a Dual Shock, Xbone controller, or upgrading to the Switch Pro(which steam fully supports).

As a side note, My switch Pro controller isn't supported by Origin. So when I tried to play Jedi Fallen order, I thought I was going to have to use an inferior controller. Turns out you can launch Origin THROUGH STEAM, and thus Steam functionality for the pro controller works. XD So dumb! But it works perfectly.

It's possible. I'm not using win10, so I haven't looked into it extensively.
    I have a wired Xbox 360 controller that works just fine for Windows 10. Not 3rd party because I hate 3rd party controllers.
    No emulator, no nonsense, just plugged it in and it works just fine.

Not surprised an Xbone controller wouldn't work on Windows 7, since the controller wasn't even made then. That being said, no real chance of finding a controller like that anymore with the 360 being dead now.

It's playable without a controller but i do recommend one it's much more enjoyable and easy to play with for games like this.
    Do you hear the voices too?

As I said, AFAIK 360 controllers are not officially supported past win7. You might be able to get around it with an emulator, but to be honest
    Wrong, 360 controllers are still plug and play on Windows 10. It's the opposite that's true where you need Windows 10 or higher for an Xbone controller(because there is no drivers for it on windows 7). Both 360 and Xbone controllers are recognized as xinput natively on windows 10 for pretty much any modern release.

Hell I can literally remote play my Xbox One with a 360 controller on my PC, no "emulation" or anything required straight up plug and play. Let alone steam which natively recognizes a million different controllers.

@Jester Joe
    @Tech614
    @Skizzit

You guys are actually correct. I re-read the post again after a good night sleep and I guess I was out of my head or something from work(UPS holiday rush). It's only the xbone controllers not being supported on win 7. I must have assumed it was the same the other way around.

Want to buy 1 and 3 but I have no controller. I only use mouse and keyboard. Should I buy it?
    Playable, but will be clunky. Think about playing racing games on a keyboard and mouse for instance, or games like GTA 5. It just feels terrible to play them.

Personally i played it for 3 hours and it was awful - gave it up for a few weeks, got a controller then binged it for 50 hours over a week or so.

Game is just way better on controller.

I can't recommend any of the souls games with a mouse and keyboard. Which is weird to say, because I'm one of those PC-Master-Race kind of gamers. I recently did a deathless run of both DS1 and DS3 using a controller(died on 2nd to last boss in DS3). So it's not like I'm some noobscrub who doesn't know how to play, either.

I know a few people who DO play dark souls with mouse+KB, but it seems alien to me. You can absolutely do it, but I think your experience will be better using a controller. And there are many other games which are like that. Hollow Knight or Ori and the Blind Forest. Any of the souls-like games, such as Sekiro, Nioh, or The Surge.

Just an FYI: Xbox 360 controllers are great and cheap, but aren't supported past win7. But you can't often find them in good condition anymore. If you're using win8 or win10, you'll have to go with an Xbone controller. Technically I guess you could also use a dualshock controller...but I've found those to be flimsy and uncomfortable in the hand.

My personal preference is the Switch Pro controller. But those are spendy, and you have to go through steam to get it to work properly on PC. Most comfortable and sturdy controller I've ever owned. Definitely worth the investment of money.
    at the end of the day the best setup is the one a person is used to,no way he will have a better experience with a control if he has never used one

What's in it that makes it bad without a controller? The Witcher 3 worked perfect for me with mouse and keyboard. Are they similar?
    Personally I thought the basic melee combat was OK with keyboard/mouse. Add in spells and items and things become fiddly as fuck; the entire interface was obviously not designed or retooled for PC at all, navigating the menus is a total chore and some of the default keybinds are a bad joke (page up and down, really?).

Mind, I still managed to complete DS3 and its DLCs with a keyboard, but once my friend gave me his xbox controller there was no looking back, same for similar games like Sekiro and Jedi Fallen Order.

At least it's not as bad as trying to play a racing game ala Forza Horizon with KB/M. Holy shit that was just painful.

got a ps4? i use my ps4 controller on PC, just run a program called Ds4windows. It emulates an Xbox controller, worked flawlessly on my games so far

Quote Originally Posted by deenman View Post
    at the end of the day the best setup is the one a person is used to,no way he will have a better experience with a control if he has never used one
    Actually that's not necessarily true.

The Souls games are designed to be played with a controller. It will be more fluid and intuitive to play with one. And while you can play with a mouse+KB(and maybe even have a better time that way if that's how your brain is wired), in general the game will be better if you use the input method it was intended to use.

I'm not saying a person can't play however they want. But from my subjectively expert opinion(over 1000 hours across DS 1, 2, 3, and completing deathless runs), a controller is the "best" experience. The game is already hard enough as it is without fighting the input method.

Actually that's not necessarily true.

The Souls games are designed to be played with a controller. It will be more fluid and intuitive to play with one. And while you can play with a mouse+KB(and maybe even have a better time that way if that's how your brain is wired), in general the game will be better if you use the input method it was intended to use.

I'm not saying a person can't play however they want. But from my subjectively expert opinion(over 1000 hours across DS 1, 2, 3, and completing deathless runs), a controller is the "best" experience. The game is already hard enough as it is without fighting the input method.
    no,this is simply factualy wrong,i cant just pick up a controler for the first time in my life and play better with it than i would with 20 years of keyboard experience,if i practice and get used to it sure

Quote Originally Posted by deenman View Post
    no,this is simply factualy wrong,i cant just pick up a controler for the first time in my life and play better with it than i would with 20 years of keyboard experience,if i practice and get used to it sure
    Actually, you can. That's exactly what I did. In fact, my first experience with dark souls 1, I tried to pmay with mouse and keyboard. I hated it so much that uninstallled and refunded it. It wasn't until a year later that I tried again with a controller that I realized my mistake.

I can't express strongly enough that some games are absolutely better if you play using the intended input.

But as I said, maybe that's just not how a player's brain is wired. Some people play wow and keyboard turn while clicking abilities with the mouse. They get by just fine. It's possible to do that.

All I'm really saying is that people should give the controller a try. This isn't an FPS where M+KB is objectively better. You might be REALLY surprised at the difference.

It's not just subjective opinion. With the joystick on a controller you can control movement speed. With K&M you are always either standing still or running/turning/whatever at full speed. The games were designed around very precise movement and positioning (1&2 more than 3), and you will be gimping yourself by not using a controller.

Buy a controller pal, nothing beats the Dark Souls experience with a controller, the game feels very smooth and not just by the attack animations but also the camera
    Last edited by Zandalariprelate; 2019-12-21 at 04:24 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Varitok View Post
    No, she is my waifu. Stop posting and delete this thread immediately.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ophenia View Post
    Voted Baine because... Well, Baine. Total nonsensical character, looks like World War II Italy, nobody really understands what role he's supposed to fill, not even himself

Quote Originally Posted by Maxrokur View Post
    Buy a controller pal, > nothing beats Dark Souls experience without a controller.
    Wait what? lol
    Last edited by Wildmoon; 2019-12-21 at 03:29 AM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Dark souls 3 is made a little better with a controller but it not that much. The game is still great with out it.