Poll: Rate the movie STAR WARS™: The Rise of Skywalker™

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Quote Originally Posted by Nuba View Post
    A really bad movie
    9/10 art and scenario
    2/10 acting
    1/10 plot
    2/10 star wars lore points
    7/10 humor
    2/10 action and coreography
    the movie you saw was Cats bro, not star wars
    No sense crying over spilt beer, unless you're drunk...

Quote Originally Posted by Nerovar View Post
    That's exactly how it works. Do you think in a few decades, people will care about anything Star Wars related that wasn't created by Lucas, its original maker?
    Usually when it comes to fictional literature, the matter of canonicity is decided based on who's the creator of the piece of fiction and everything made by any other writer who adds to the setting is usually non-canonical.
    You're factually wrong. Barring Disney continuously fucking up so bad, a few decades for now, people will STILL care for Star Wars. You have to remember, we're the vocal minority. The brunt of these movie audiences are little kids, younger fans, and the general audience moviegoer who doesn't even care that much about the lore and just wants to unwind from the 40 hour work week by watching a melodramatic space opera with ships, explosions, and breathtaking special effects.

What the diehard fan thinks doesn't matter, and most intelligent fans should know Lucas is no longer the owner of Star Wars, and will have no more creative input going forward. That's like saying none of the MCU counts and fans can dismiss it because Stan Lee had no creative input or collaboration with any of those films. Lucas will always be known as the creator, but he no longer owns the IP, Disney can do what it pleases with the lore, is legally, and factually within their right to do so, and that's the end of the discussion. You either like Star Wars going forward, or you don't, but it's owned by Disney, written by Disney, and will continue to be created by Disney long after the creator is gone, just like Marvel after Stan Lee and Jack Kirby are/were gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Slybak View Post
    If they decided to make a movie because of people who created a tempest in a teapot, that alone is an indictment. If they also made a bad movie because of it, its even worse.
    Clearly they have analytics telling them the fallout from TLJ was worse than you believe. Do you really believe they'd go out of their way to erase as much of TLJ as they could if they weren't losing money because of it?

Quote Originally Posted by Zaktar View Post
    Edgy teen hears his grandfather's distinctive voice, thinks it's his grandfather. Master manipulator manipulates child. It's not actually a logical sticking point in a film that was stuffed with them.

You honestly think a young boy would trust the account of his boring goody uncle over the magical voice of the galaxy's preeminent badass? That voice almost certainly saying things he wants to hear?
    I guess? It's good brainwashing from Palpatine, I guess I just overestimate Kylo-Ren's intelligence. "My grandfather sacrificed himself to destroy The Emperor, redeem himself, and bring balance to the force... but now he's telling me to do some bad shit, and I'm pissed off at my uncle for trying to kill me in my sleep. Fuck it, I'm going to honor his legacy, my uncle must be full of shit!"

I guess it doesn't help Disney wrote Luke to be a dick in his old age.

Quote Originally Posted by Vargulf the Happy Husky View Post
    the movie you saw was Cats bro, not star wars
    No one tried to devalue your opinion with you said the new movie was good so why are you doing that to someone who doesn't like it?
    Goodbye-Forever-MMO-Champ
    Quote Originally Posted by HighlordJohnstone View Post
    Alleria's whispers start climaxing

Quote Originally Posted by Daemos daemonium View Post
    If I had to guess it’s likely gonna be a fake force ghost of some kind then he’ll just say like lied to him or something.
    Probably, yeah, that'd make it more convincing, but the fake force ghost would have to justify why in death he decided the dark side was not so bad after killing The Emperor.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyphael View Post
    You're factually wrong. Barring Disney continuously fucking up so bad, a few decades for now, people will STILL care for Star Wars. You have to remember, we're the vocal minority. The brunt of these movie audiences are little kids, younger fans, and the general audience moviegoer who doesn't even care that much about the lore and just wants to unwind from the 40 hour work week by watching a melodramatic space opera with ships, explosions, and breathtaking special effects.

What the diehard fan thinks doesn't matter, and most intelligent fans should know Lucas is no longer the owner of Star Wars, and will have no more creative input going forward. That's like saying none of the MCU counts and fans can dismiss it because Stan Lee had no creative input or collaboration with any of those films. Lucas will always be known as the creator, but he no longer owns the IP, Disney can do what it pleases with the lore, is legally, and factually within their right to do so, and that's the end of the discussion. You either like Star Wars going forward, or you don't, but it's owned by Disney, written by Disney, and will continue to be created by Disney long after the creator is gone, just like Marvel after Stan Lee and Jack Kirby are/were gone.
    The main problem with that line of thinking regarding the sequels is that they are so heavily intertwined in the original trilogy, far more so than the prequels which even with the links to the original still function as a functional trilogy, if a highly bleak one by the end.
    The sequels on the contrary constantly bombards the viewer with tidbits that make sense to those who have seen the original trilogy, but probably not to those who begin with movie 7. Things like Han Solo getting the milennium falcon back and talking about Luke. Or perhaps more egregiously with movie 9 and the return of Palpatine.

If course, i could definitely be wrong, but i do feel that Lucas was more conscientous of the possiblity of newcomers to the series starting with episode 1 instead of 4. Whereas the sequels seems to have been made specifically to hook those who watched the original trilogy.
    The world revamp dream will never die!

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aurrora View Post
    Clearly they have analytics telling them the fallout from TLJ was worse than you believe. Do you really believe they'd go out of their way to erase as much of TLJ as they could if they weren't losing money because of it?
    I’m curious what you mean by fallout, last time I had checked Starwars comics were still selling more then they did pre TLJ/disney, though I haven’t checked recently. fallen order sold super well I believe, and the mandalorian is hot right now, is the fallout just solo?
    Last edited by Lorgar Aurelian; 2019-12-21 at 06:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pebrocks The Warlock View Post
    No one tried to devalue your opinion with you said the new movie was good so why are you doing that to someone who doesn't like it?
    devaluing their opinion? uh duh?

the guy said 2/10 on star wars lore. THAT MOVIE WAS CONSTIPATED ON LORE there was so much!
    Last edited by Vargulf the Happy Husky; 2019-12-21 at 06:35 PM.
    No sense crying over spilt beer, unless you're drunk...

I know we saw his body getting atomized, but I think Palpatine is still alive. If he could survive the literal explosion of the Death Star 5 seconds after he fell down that shaft, he survived episode IX. Can't wait for his third return in the next trilogy. You know the saying, third time's the charm.
    The Void. A force of infinite hunger. Its whispers have broken the will of dragons... and lured even the titans' own children into madness. Sages and scholars fear the Void. But we understand a truth they do not. That the Void is a power to be harnessed... to be bent by a will strong enough to command it. The Void has shaped us... changed us. But you will become its master. Wield the shadows as a weapon to save our world... and defend the Alliance!

Quote Originally Posted by A Princess From Norway View Post
    Disney made me so happy with the complete and utter destruction and deconstruction of the OT characters, their lives and their deeds and their miserable accomplishments. YOU (and the rest of the vocal minority that screamed at the Prequels) deserve this 100%. Enjoy your deadbeat Han Solo, your utter failure of a Jedi "Master" (lol) Luke Skywalker and your complete and utter trash Leia who not only managed to fail at being a Jedi but failed at being a politician as well. Enjoy the new Lando, where the only thing that he has going for him is the choices he makes on where to stick his little weenie. Enjoy watching Chewbacca be turned into a literall walking carpet. Enjoy C3P0 having a grand total of 4 (?) lines in two movies and R2-D2 hide under a blanket. Enjoy it everyone. I do, as i enjoy watching the scores of 60 year old haters who grew up with the OT cry in terror as their hopes and dreams for their beloved characters are being destroyed before their miserable eyes. THANK YOU DISNEY.
    P.S. Hayden is awesome. (And Hot).
    PPPS. If i sound bitter it's because i am!
    With love from a Prequel fangirl

Trolling isn't allowed. Infracted.
    This actually makes me want to watch the new film as I really dislike the Original Trilogy and especially the obnoxious veneration it gets, I liked the prequel trilogy, though do not get me wrong, it has actually aged worse than the Original Trilogy due to them using cgi more than practical effects, but I still like them far more.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vargulf the Happy Husky View Post
    devaluing their opinion? uh duh?

the guy said 2/10 on star wars lore. THAT MOVIE WAS CONSTIPATED ON LORE there was so much!
    There being a lot of lore isn’t a good thing when it’s portrayed so poorly. They filled the movie to the brim with old republic stuff with no rime or reason to it and then acted like it was common which is incredibly stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by Tenebra the War Criminal View Post
    I know we saw his body getting atomized, but I think Palpatine is still alive. If he could survive the literal explosion of the Death Star 5 seconds after he fell down that shaft, he survived episode IX. Can't wait for his third return in the next trilogy. You know the saying, third time's the charm.
    Sadly, Ian Mcdiarmid may not be around by the time Disney even does a movie with Palpatine again (not that I want to), and unless it'd be Epiesode X or XI, he might not be. It's better just to let the character rest. He wasn't even the character worst-written in Episode IX, but I don't trust them not to ruin him in another installment after a second resurrection if the first one wasn't even explained.

How long do you give fans before they start blaming Kathleen Kennedy for rise of skywalker.

She likes ruining star wars to make fans angry apparently.
    Comes a time when we all gotta die...even kings.

It's funny, everyone I know in RL liked the movie. From colleagues to colleagues kids to my sister to my friends, to my nerd friends.

Even Twitter seems to like this movie. The people with the biggest problems with it seem to not care for the nostalgia plays.

But here......man, here the vitriol is real. This movie still somehow has an 86% audience approval rate, 2 days after opening, when the "more casual" fans would go see it. I was told it would drop stupendously by the prognosticators out there.

Ironically, having had the leaks confirmed for me, I know I'm going to be disappointed in this movie and would be part of the 14%. I guess that makes me the contrarian now.

Quote Originally Posted by Daemos daemonium View Post
    I’m curious what you mean by fallout, last time I had checked Starwars comics were still selling more then they did pre TLJ/disney, though I haven’t checked recently. fallen order sold super well I believe, and the mandalorian is hot right now, is the fallout just solo?
    Solo, a drop in merchandising revenue from toys, the lukewarm reception of Galaxy's Edge, plus a wealth of data that I'm sure Disney is privy to but we as the public aren't.

Comics are just a small drop in the bucket.

Also TRoS was made over the last two years, its not like they could predict a Star Wars game would do well (probably hard to even predict if a Star Wars game will go gold considering how many have been cancelled).

The Mandalorian is also hot for the same reason that people like TRoS, it's playing off nostalgia so was probably made with the same marching orders that Abrams got.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    It's funny, everyone I know in RL liked the movie. From colleagues to colleagues kids to my sister to my friends, to my nerd friends.

Even Twitter seems to like this movie. The people with the biggest problems with it seem to not care for the nostalgia plays.

But here......man, here the vitriol is real. This movie still somehow has an 86% audience approval rate, 2 days after opening, when the "more casual" fans would go see it. I was told it would drop stupendously by the prognosticators out there.

Ironically, having had the leaks confirmed for me, I know I'm going to be disappointed in this movie and would be part of the 14%. I guess that makes me the contrarian now.
    I feel like this movie will go down well for most people, I personally didn’t like it because I really wanted them to ride the wave of TLJ with doing something new with the Jedi/sith. But while it’s not my cup of tea I’d say it’s a better movie then TLJ and I expect most passive fans to enjoy it.

Then of course there are people who hate it soloy because either it’s a Disney movie or because of Rey or something else even though they didn’t even try to pay attention to the actual movie. This site has a lot of people like that.

5+ Year Old Account

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/transformers_the_movie

Transformers got 85% audience score, doesn't mean it's any good, only that those who would want to watch that would go n see it n ofc would vote favorably..audience score has to be taken with a grain of salt..

I thought it was going to be a shitshow, 150%. Especially after the mess of TLJ. But outside a couple of cringey moments (see below) it was pretty good. I do think the perspective changes could be pared down in favor of longer scenes though. It was a bit jarring to have two minutes of Finn and Poe, then BAM two minutes of First Order then BAM two minutes of Kylo Ren doing his thing. If they'd compiled things a bit better (though Star Wars is famous for its many screen wipe cuts), I think the film would have better flow.

I very much enjoyed the backstory treatment of Leia's Jedi training and why she stopped. It was logical and believable, though the CGI of roughly ROTJ-era Luke and Leia was a teeny bit uncanny valley.

Legitimate nitpicks:

Palpatine has the power of all the Sith and Rey has the power of all the Jedi? WAT.

That toxic co-dependent kiss between Ben Solo and Rey was completely unnecessary.

Lore nitpicks:

FUCK YOU, CALL IT DROMUND KAAS! Don't rename a thing that's had a name in the EU for years if not decades!

FUCK YOU, CALL IT A HOLOCRON! Wayfinder my ass. Holocrons can do that and they're [I]even canon so what are you doing??[/I]
    Cheerful lack of self-preservation

Quote Originally Posted by Claymore View Post
    Honestly, the fact this movie is releasing soon...

Honestly? It just kind of bums me out.

Growing up, I was *SO* into Star Wars. I imagine we all were, but like that shit *resonated* with me. I grew up in a small southern town, lived so far out that there were almost no kids to play with, so I would just play outside and make pretend... for probably way older than I ought to have been. I was unsure about the prequels, eventually shat on them (just like everyone else did), and then gradually opened up to the idea that, while terrible STORIES, they did a good job of world-building. But even in the "hating it" stage, I still always loved "Star Wars".

The Force Awakens, I thought, was kind of boring and way too "safe", and to be honest, from the moment a new trilogy was announced, I had a sinking feeling in my gut that the original cast would return -- old and decrepit -- just to die. Lo and behold, that came true. But even in The Force Awakens, it still felt *FUN*. Not my favorite movie, but it showed promise.

The Last Jedi was more than just "a bad movie" (and make no mistake, it IS a terrible movie; even just in terms of fundamental storytelling). Something about it felt like it betrayed the core of the series. I didn't "hate" The Last Jedi. Instead, it felt more like... watching someone take your favorite comic-book and rip it to pieces in front of you. I walked out of the theater, not "angry", so much as... just kind of sad. It felt like they had fundamentally *changed* everything I'd grown up with, and ruined it in such a way it would never be the same.

Since The Last Jedi, I haven't watched a single Star Wars movie, or played a game. I tried to watch Empire sometime last year I think, and I just... about 15 minutes into it, I just felt incredibly sad. The Last Jedi had retroactively ruined those original movies, for me, that same ones I'd grown up with.

Am I being melodramatic? Hell yes. Am I taking this all way too seriously? Absolutely. But "Star Wars" was more than just "a movie (series)" to me. And it felt like they took that away. And in its place, we got a super hamfisted politically-correct "message" that, if you criticized the movie in any way, suddenly you were racist or exist.

I dunno. Before The Last Jedi, I couldn't have even IMAGINED not going to see a Star Wars movie. I've already passed on Solo (another one that, on Netflix, I started, but felt that same sense of sadness a few minutes in and stopped watching), and now I'm going to be skipping Episode freaking IX. Such a crazy world we live in.
    Damn, I really feel you. If they had just done an unoriginal soft reboot of the series without the old characters, leaving the original trilogy untouched, I wouldn't have cared. I probably wouldn't have enjoyed these movies either way but at least it wouldn't have felt like something was taken away. But I guess it was the logical decision from a business point of view though. Catch all the demographics by appealing to young people with a bland recreation of the old stories with updated visuals while at the same time appealing to the older crowds and diehard fans with all the nostalgia bait and old characters.
    It's merely another sad outgrowth of our current day culture industry.