Poll: Rate the movie STAR WARS™: The Rise of Skywalker™

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Rise of Skywalker is a "crowd pleaser" in the sense that it is a Michael Bay film. Its like JJ Abrams realized that the new characters suck and the plot sucks and no-one cares about any of it, so he went for BIG EXPLOSIONS!!!!!! all over the place. Abrams literally turned Imperial Star Destroyers into Stormtroopers in that none of them can shoot stright and they ALL get EXPLODED. The reason the fleet exists is to show them getting blowed up. Same thing for Palpatines chamber. Its a huge, massive chamber filled with nameless faceless acolytes because that makes it look good when it gets EXPLODED.

BOOM BOOM BANG KAPOW!

Crowd pleaser, indeed. Its a Transformers sequel.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    Rise of Skywalker is a "crowd pleaser" in the sense that it is a Michael Bay film. Its like JJ Abrams realized that the new characters suck and the plot sucks and no-one cares about any of it, so he went for BIG EXPLOSIONS!!!!!! all over the place. Abrams literally turned Imperial Star Destroyers into Stormtroopers in that none of them can shoot stright and they ALL get EXPLODED. The reason the fleet exists is to show them getting blowed up. Same thing for Palpatines chamber. Its a huge, massive chamber filled with nameless faceless acolytes because that makes it look good when it gets EXPLODED.

BOOM BOOM BANG KAPOW!

The general audience has low expectations.

Quote Originally Posted by Aurrora View Post
    Finn is force sensitive.
    My SO and I had a theory regarding that:

There was a little bit of minor implication that Jannah was weakly Force sensitive too (when she and Finn talk about their respective desertions). We had this theory that Force sensitivity slowly erodes the First Order brainwashing over time.
    Cheerful lack of self-preservation

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaktar View Post
    The general audience has low expectations.
    This has me worried for next year when Dune comes...if the movie is great like dennis did with blade runner and the crowd deems there's not enough explosions in the trailers, it might flop cuz the herd turns attention elsewhere..

Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post

BOOM BOOM BANG KAPOW!

They're not "nameless, faceless acolytes." They're the spirits of ancient Sith. Exigal is [I]clearly[/I] supposed to be Dromund Kaas.
    Cheerful lack of self-preservation

7+ Year Old Account
    A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away
    Quote Originally Posted by Nefarious Tea View Post
    FUCK YOU, CALL IT DROMUND KAAS! Don't rename a thing that's had a name in the EU for years if not decades!
    Korriban says Hi. Though, it came back in later canon after Lucas had it renamed. Chances are the same logic will apply with this planet.

FUCK YOU, CALL IT A HOLOCRON! Wayfinder my ass. Holocrons can do that and they're [I]even canon so what are you doing??[/I]
    Or what is called a Wayfinder is a specific kind of Holocron. Would you complain if I call my car a Suburu when I can just call it a "car"?
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

Quote Originally Posted by Vargulf the Happy Husky View Post
    why? care to elaborate or just mirror someone else's opinion?

- - - Updated - - -

same question to you
    Here we go with the neckbeards.

Fine. I thought the pace was all over, nearly every scene felt rushed. The dialogue seemed to be mostly people explaining the movie rather than people talking. The CGI was fantastic. I just don't buy the plot. I was willing to accept TFA's predictability and similarity to ANH. I was even willing to accept Rian Johnson's absurd Luke Skywalker and killing off the main villain. But now we've had three incredibly different movies with no overarching story.

There was no big moral statement in the movie. It was just, oh, friends stick together and overcome great odds. All in all, I'd say 6/10. Better luck next trilogy.

7+ Year Old Account
    Questions left unanswered in the Sequel Trilogy:
    1) What was the purpose of the Knights of Ren? Besides just be a bunch of cool armored people to sell toys.
    2) What was the purpose of Snoke? He was Palpatine's puppet, but why did Palpatine need a puppet he created? Couldn't it have been done any number of other ways? That didn't involve creating another lifeform?
    3) What happened to Luke between Kylo destroying his Jedi Temple and his exile? There seems to be an entire story missing there.
    4) What made Luke attempt to chase down that Sith Follower? When did he and Lando go on this adventure? It had to be post Rey's abandonment on Jakku, but that time, iirc he was training Ben.
    5) Why would anyone think Hux was good enough to follow his father? Well, Hux pre-TLJ was decent, but then they made him a punching bag.
    6) Why did they say this is the "End of the Skywalker Saga" ... it's not. You can now view Rey as Luke's adoptive daughter which means the Skywalkers are still ducking up the Universe.
    7) What did Finn want to say to Rey? It was made clear that Finn just sees Rey as a friend in the novel Resistance Reborn, was he going to say he feels or that he is force sensitive? What was the point of that scene?
    8) What was the entire point of the Chewie death fake out and if Rey could sense Chewie on Kylo's flag ship, why couldn't she sense him NOT on the transport?
    9) What was the point in killing off the Resistance when all it seems to take is a Wookiee and a smooth talking scoundrel to amass all those ships?
    10) What was the point of Rose's character? We didn't need anything she provided as the character she talked to likely knows far better than she does what the First Order is capable of and she gave pretty much the same speech twice.

I can go on. It doesn't really end anything for me. I left we more questions than answers.
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

My main take away from all of this is just how insanely serious people are treating a group of movies. While I also enjoy the memes about the fanboys who will praise anything that's made to sell merchandise (hey it's all in good fun) I think the saddest part of the 'fanbase' are the people who spend so much time writing wall of text blocks for days about how terrible the newest movie was and how stupid people are for liking it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    It's funny, everyone I know in RL liked the movie. From colleagues to colleagues kids to my sister to my friends, to my nerd friends.

Even Twitter seems to like this movie. The people with the biggest problems with it seem to not care for the nostalgia plays.

But here......man, here the vitriol is real. This movie still somehow has an 86% audience approval rate, 2 days after opening, when the "more casual" fans would go see it. I was told it would drop stupendously by the prognosticators out there.

Ironically, having had the leaks confirmed for me, I know I'm going to be disappointed in this movie and would be part of the 14%. I guess that makes me the contrarian now.
    I never read anything about these leaks until I saw the movie myself 3 days ago. All I gotta say, atleast IMO is that it plays out much better than how it is descirbed in all of the leaks. Shocker that a visual medium actaully works BETTER when... well seen playing infront of you compared to someone explain it to you... But again, up to you what you wanna do with your own money.

Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    Honestly theres no worst power creep in this film but Kylos. Rey shoots lightning out her fingers after a lot of struggle on top of losing control. My man Kylo is out here bending space-time. Rey actually seems a lot weaker in this. She sucks at her training, she hasn't mastered much of anything, Kylo mopped the floor with her until Leia reached out to him. Her best feat (on her one) was the Force heal...which even Baby Yoda can do.
    Wait wait wait... dude loses every single fight to Rey but hes the OP one?!

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fayolynn View Post
    Wait wait wait... dude loses every single fight to Rey but hes the OP one?!
    First fight with Rey: Chasm opens up, Rey runs after a lucky blow.
    Second "fight": Tug of war on a lightsaber where we don't see Rey post fight. Rey runs away
    Third Fight: Rey runs away after tug of war on the transport
    Forth Fight through time whimey stuff: Rey runs away.
    Fifth Fight: Rey wins because Leia reaches out to Ben and distracts him. Rey runs away.

Rey literally runs away from EVERY fight she has with Kylo too. So you can claim he lost them all, but Rey still is the one that runs away.
    –The Sith Code

Quote Originally Posted by Darththeo View Post
    First fight with Rey: Chasm opens up, Rey runs after a lucky blow.
    Second "fight": Tug of war on a lightsaber where we don't see Rey post fight. Rey runs away
    Third Fight: Rey runs away after tug of war on the transport
    Forth Fight through time whimey stuff: Rey runs away.
    Fifth Fight: Rey wins because Leia reaches out to Ben and distracts him. Rey runs away.

Rey literally runs away from EVERY fight she has with Kylo too. So you can claim he lost them all, but Rey still is the one that runs away.
    Does not matter she wins all her battles, in fact she never takes any dmg ever untill the end and if she dies or just takes a nap is the question.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tromage2 View Post
    Does not matter she wins all her battles, in fact she never takes any dmg ever untill the end and if she dies or just takes a nap is the question.
    What do you define damage as? Did she need to lose an arm for you to be happy?
    –The Sith Code

My SO and I had a theory regarding that:

There was a little bit of minor implication that Jannah was weakly Force sensitive too (when she and Finn talk about their respective desertions). We had this theory that Force sensitivity slowly erodes the First Order brainwashing over time.
    Yeah, I think that was the implication, all the Stormtroopers that broke conditioning were force sensitives. Jannah said they felt drawn to Kef Bir

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    1) What was the purpose of the Knights of Ren? Besides just be a bunch of cool armored people to sell toys.
    2) What was the purpose of Snoke? He was Palpatine's puppet, but why did Palpatine need a puppet he created? Couldn't it have been done any number of other ways? That didn't involve creating another lifeform?
    These will likely be answered in the kylo comic series they just started which takes place right as he destroys the temple and involves snoke and the knights of ren.

As for every thing else they Proabbly won’t explain it.

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Came home from watching it on the cinema. I liked it, even though the whole plot involving Palpatine felt.. awkward? For such an important character, appearing out of nowhere for only the last film, without even any clues, leads or post credit scenes on previous movies.. man, felt like he was just yet another "dude behind the veil pulling the strings" clichè. Even my gf, that hadn't seen a single SW movie before Rise of Skywalker, felt the same regarding Palpatine. How fucking hard would it be to hire some competent screen writers to AT LEAST scrible some consistent plot for the entire trillogy? Looking back I can't name the general plot story of this trillogy, other than simply rebels fighting the bad guys, which is literally what the Original trillogy was about. But oh well, hopefully we'll learn more of the story by reading the books.

3) What happened to Luke between Kylo destroying his Jedi Temple and his exile? There seems to be an entire story missing there.
    4) What made Luke attempt to chase down that Sith Follower? When did he and Lando go on this adventure? It had to be post Rey's abandonment on Jakku, but that time, iirc he was training Ben.
    5) Why would anyone think Hux was good enough to follow his father? Well, Hux pre-TLJ was decent, but then they made him a punching bag.
    6) Why did they say this is the "End of the Skywalker Saga" ... it's not. You can now view Rey as Luke's adoptive daughter which means the Skywalkers are still ducking up the Universe.
    7) What did Finn want to say to Rey? It was made clear that Finn just sees Rey as a friend in the novel Resistance Reborn, was he going to say he feels or that he is force sensitive? What was the point of that scene?
    8) What was the entire point of the Chewie death fake out and if Rey could sense Chewie on Kylo's flag ship, why couldn't she sense him NOT on the transport?
    9) What was the point in killing off the Resistance when all it seems to take is a Wookiee and a smooth talking scoundrel to amass all those ships?
    10) What was the point of Rose's character? We didn't need anything she provided as the character she talked to likely knows far better than she does what the First Order is capable of and she gave pretty much the same speech twice.

I can go on. It doesn't really end anything for me. I left we more questions than answers.
    cant answer any of that except for #7. Saw someone on twitter talking about it and how a director for the movie confirmed that what Finn wanted to say to Rey was that.. he was force sensitive. Yeah, just that. All of the suspense, all of the sexual tension, all the jokes that what he wanted to tell her was in secret.. Turned out to be literally nothing important, specially bc the only thing we see Finn doing with the force was figuring out how to destroy the Destroyer...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tromage2 View Post
    Youre definition of losing a fight seems to be 'not killing your opponent' Glad you don't judge any fighting sports.

- - - Updated - - -

They're not "nameless, faceless acolytes." They're the spirits of ancient Sith. Exigal is [I]clearly[/I] supposed to be Dromund Kaas.
    Visual dictionary says they are cultists.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Pebrocks The Warlock View Post
    Wasn't it Darth Plagueis that was mostly responsible for creating Anakin?
    No. As far as canon goes we don't know how Anakin was conceived. The best guess, kind backed by the saga now, is that Plagueis and Sidious were ticking off the Force with their evil Sith ways. Anakin is the answer the Force came up with.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

I think that it's bad that my favorite part of the movie was when Palpatine said: "The Dark Side of the Force is a pathway to many abilities some consider to be unnatural."
    "You know you that bitch when you cause all this conversation."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyphael View Post
    One thought just came to mind. How could Kylo-ren think he had been talking to Vader when I'm sure he knows Vader redeemed himself by killing Sidious at the end of Return of the Jedi? Is this a case of Kylo-ren somehow not knowing that, it couldn't be the case, right? Luke had to have told Ben Vader turned back to the light side. So is Kylo-ren just stupid that he thought he was talking to Vader through Vader's helmet when Vader technically no longer existed?
    Kylo thinks the Anakin half of Vader was weak. This weakness is what got Vader killed.

His 'logic' is kind of like a of people here, to completely ignore facts and come up with their own nonsense.

Resident Cosplay Progressive