Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Eapoe View Post
    If things are selling for 1K gold, and you undercut it down to 100g, then yes you are losing out on 900g. So, while you are selling 20 things for 100g, instead of selling 20 things for 1,000 gold, then yes, you are losing out.
    Now, if you are trying to say that person’s items aren’t selling then that is a different story, but seeing as how most people are talking about undercutting things that sell pretty regularly then your example doesn’t apply.
    But it does apply. The quests themselves that the fish are being used for are absolutely pointless. There is nothing to gain by doing them. Some moron decided to sell for a stupid price. Unless they control the market, which he doesn't, then they will never sell. Anyone could come in and start putting the fish in at closer to market price and sell them all. Is this 50. Is it 100? Hard to say. But unless your fish are moving then you make no profit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nizah View Post
    why so mad bro

Simple solution: "I'll sell you my entire stock for 450G each, and you can set the market how you want to."

If he doesn't want to buy at that price, post them up at the price you wanted and put him on ignore.

10+ Year Old Account
    This is what happens(ed) with the gem market

A month or so ago the epic yellow gem, for some reason, was being sold at 200g ish. Most people, particularly buyers, would call that overpriced given the precedence of gem prices being, honestly, garbage low.

However, if in less than an hour there's a steady outflow of gems at that price, why in the world would you be a complete idiot and start tanking the prices? In the space of an hour, i risked it and put up about 20 of those gems at around that price. Guess what? I sold all of them. An hour later came the first sellers crashing the prices by, 5, 10, 20g.

And fair prices?

Get out of here. People still have loads of cash from previous xpacs. Not to mention, in a single day, you can make anywhere between 2k to 10k gold, depending on how many alts you have. And that's if you don't get the 2k gold emissary more than once in a week.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mojusk View Post
    this always happens when those warfront contribution dalies are up.
    like today it was grilled catfish, they cost like 5g each to make.
    but some dumbass bought all on AH and put them back on for 500g each.
    then i made a fuckton and put them on AH for 50g each.
    then the dumbass whispered me that i was RUINING THE MARKET PRICE!
    /facepalm

ok i could have played his game, camping the AH all day, undecutting eachother with 1 copper, waiting for a few idiots to buy our stupidly overpriced grilled fish.
    OR i could make a fuckton, put them all on the AH and sell them all alot faster, while doing other stuff.
    supply and demand my friends! and guess what, theres alot higher demand when the price is more reasonable.

what if i had bought all of his 500g fish and then put them on AH for 5000g, would that now be the "market price"?
    Any smart person would simply buy all your cheap fish and reprice them for more. You literally marked them for 10% of the next price, you easily could have made at least five times the gold if not more in the same amount of time. Sounds like you're about as smart as the guy who apparently whispered you. Undercutting by wide margins when market values seem high is a valid strategy but man, you went waaaaay too low. If you sold 100 stacks you only made 5k where you could have made 25-30k just for inputting a few extra numbers.

As for buying all his 500g and listing them for 5k, that's more than anyone would pay. The market price would technically be 5k until someone undercut you, but if no one is buying then who cares what the market price is? Prices need to be reasonable when you want to liquidate a lot of product such as this.

this always happens when those warfront contribution dalies are up.
    like today it was grilled catfish, they cost like 5g each to make.
    but some dumbass bought all on AH and put them back on for 500g each.
    then i made a fuckton and put them on AH for 50g each.
    then the dumbass whispered me that i was RUINING THE MARKET PRICE!
    /facepalm

ok i could have played his game, camping the AH all day, undecutting eachother with 1 copper, waiting for a few idiots to buy our stupidly overpriced grilled fish.
    OR i could make a fuckton, put them all on the AH and sell them all alot faster, while doing other stuff.
    supply and demand my friends! and guess what, theres alot higher demand when the price is more reasonable.

what if i had bought all of his 500g fish and then put them on AH for 5000g, would that now be the "market price"?
    why didn't you just keep posting them, but slowly?

I miss when you needed old expansion materials to level professions, I made so much gold farming old content for embersilk.... now I have like no reason to go to those zones/

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vakna View Post
    I get shit all the time from people when I undercut them by 50% instead of 1 copper.

Like why the fuck do I care about your "market value", I just want to get these things off my hands as quick as possible.
    Then vendor them.

In this thread:
    Market price = whatever I pull out of my ass
    Wrong price = whatever you pull out of your ass

I never, ever understood people who claim "market price" is some form of sanctity everyone has to follow when it's based on "whatever the first guy who put item on AH put it for", that also gives all the excuses to market resetters, price gougers and wannabe monopolists because "I was here first so I control the price, don't you dare change it".

I've seen people trying to buy me out and reset items that I bought from a vendor. I only sold them counting on people's laziness to overpay a bit and not have to walk to the vendor, but do you really think if you price gouge it 100 times over they won't just decide "fuck it might as well walk 5 steps to that vendor"?

Similar case can be made about craftables that have fairly stable and big pool of mats and can be mass produced.

People also rely on "market price" addons that basically tell you what the item was listed for, but not whether it sold for that price.

And yes, about wafront contribution I remember in 8.1 there was that quest to hand 20 scarlet ruby or w/e the name of red gem that was super expensive because people used tons of it to craft BOP rings with breaths of bwonsamdi. I never ever did that quest. Who said people will do every warfront hand in? I had a price ceiling and I imagine many others do as well.

Atm most mains are neck capped anyway and on alts I won't shed a tear if I get "behind" on neck by not spending 5000g on a hand in. I don't even buy reroll coins on alts if I run out of war resources and have to pay 2k gold, not worth losing the money on a crappy alt.

I'd usually try to restock raw mats on off-days when I know they'd be price gouged if they appear for a quest (that applies to items like akunda's bite, sand shifter, platinum ore, etc.)

Anyway OP I get you, and you'll always be flamed by the crowd of "if you undercut by more than 1c you're stupid and my price is right while yours is wrong", and there's no proof for what price stuff sells so they can always pretend sky is the limit and there's nothing wrong with it. I've seen people post stuff for gold cap or other pointless price points (1 bag for 400k for example), mostly to fuck up with addons and median prices.

now im all for undercutting by a large amount to get fast sales.

but if you undercut by 90% i feel like you are just shooting yourself in the foot.

neither would buying all milk at the supermarket for 1€ and then try resell it for 100€.
    B-but don't you know that the value of something is completely decided by the market.. uhhh!1!11*

*which means it's decided by me, the person who puts shit up for crazy prices
    Last edited by Yarathir; 2019-12-22 at 01:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Brenz View Post
    Excessive undercutting like that actually does ruin the market value of items and is also very frustrating for people who are trying to make gold.
    Meanwhile price gouging and market resetting is very frustrating to the people who want to buy stuff. I usually end up with a stable of alts with every profession covered because there's always that guy who had to reset a menial crafted good to 3x normal price, so either you have to excessively stockpile, or have alts who can craft an enchant, food, gem, scroll, drums, w/e else. It's especially frustrating on low pop servers because supply is often at a mercy of these people.

Having to go self-sufficient to me is a failure of economy, because then I'm basically not participating in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Marrilaife View Post
    In this thread:
    Market price = whatever I pull out of my ass
    Wrong price = whatever you pull out of your ass

I never, ever understood people who claim "market price" is some form of sanctity everyone has to follow when it's based on "whatever the first guy who put item on AH put it for", that also gives all the excuses to market resetters, price gougers and wannabe monopolists because "I was here first so I control the price, don't you dare change it".

I've seen people trying to buy me out and reset items that I bought from a vendor. I only sold them counting on people's laziness to overpay a bit and not have to walk to the vendor, but do you really think if you price gouge it 100 times over they won't just decide "fuck it might as well walk 5 steps to that vendor"?

Similar case can be made about craftables that have fairly stable and big pool of mats and can be mass produced.

People also rely on "market price" addons that basically tell you what the item was listed for, but not whether it sold for that price.

And yes, about wafront contribution I remember in 8.1 there was that quest to hand 20 scarlet ruby or w/e the name of red gem that was super expensive because people used tons of it to craft BOP rings with breaths of bwonsamdi. I never ever did that quest. Who said people will do every warfront hand in? I had a price ceiling and I imagine many others do as well.

Atm most mains are neck capped anyway and on alts I won't shed a tear if I get "behind" on neck by not spending 5000g on a hand in. I don't even buy reroll coins on alts if I run out of war resources and have to pay 2k gold, not worth losing the money on a crappy alt.

I'd usually try to restock raw mats on off-days when I know they'd be price gouged if they appear for a quest (that applies to items like akunda's bite, sand shifter, platinum ore, etc.)

Anyway OP I get you, and you'll always be flamed by the crowd of "if you undercut by more than 1c you're stupid and my price is right while yours is wrong", and there's no proof for what price stuff sells so they can always pretend sky is the limit and there's nothing wrong with it. I've seen people post stuff for gold cap or other pointless price points (1 bag for 400k for example), mostly to fuck up with addons and median prices.
    They're just the type of people the OP is talking about. Seething because the OP ruins their scheme by not putting everything he gets up on the AH for exorbitant prices like them.

Excessive undercutting like that actually does ruin the market value of items and is also very frustrating for people who are trying to make gold.
    That doesn't mean someone should be forced to keep slow selling stock in their inventory. If you want to sell through things fast it's perfectly reasonable to undercut to going price by a hefty margin, IRL stores do it all the time.

For example if I make 80 enchant ring scrolls as part of my enchanting levelling process, do you think I'm gonna post them all at the going price and maybe take a month or so to sell through them all? Hell no, I'm going to accept the loss and maybe post them all once or twice for super cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimbold21 View Post
    Then vendor them.
    No.
    Your persistence of vision does not come without great sacrifice. Let go of the tangible mass of your mind, it is only an illusion. There is no escape.. For the soul burns on everlasting encapsulated within infinite time. A thousand year journey at the blink of an eye... Humanity is dust..

The market value of an item that costs 5g to produce isn't 500g. Undercutting that to 50g isn't ruining anything.

You can't make a point with one example thats designed to make you right.
    I made my point with the example the OP provided...

Worst is just those insane nolifer/botters who undercut 24/7. Got a idiot like that on my realm...hes constantly online every single day...
    Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/djuntas ARPG - RTS - MMO

10+ Year Old Account
    People buying it for 500g tho and youre a dummy who wants only 10%.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Crabs have been removed from the game... because if I see another one I’m just going to totally lose it. *sobbing* I’m sorry, I just can’t right now... I just... OK just give me a minute, I’ll be OK..

Quote Originally Posted by munkeyinorbit View Post
    But it does apply. The quests themselves that the fish are being used for are absolutely pointless. There is nothing to gain by doing them. Some moron decided to sell for a stupid price. Unless they control the market, which he doesn't, then they will never sell. Anyone could come in and start putting the fish in at closer to market price and sell them all. Is this 50. Is it 100? Hard to say. But unless your fish are moving then you make no profit.
    The last paragraph of my post addresses your entire post. Please reread.

If they are selling at 500po, you made a mistake. You could have earn more gold. Period.

Quote Originally Posted by Twdft View Post
    The market value of an item that costs 5g to produce isn't 500g. Undercutting that to 50g isn't ruining anything.
    but you aren't paying for the value of the item, you are paying for not having to spend 5 minutes fishing yourself. and that value only exists on days the daily is up. and 500g isn't an amount people will think twice about for this kind of convenience, it's a good price to set if you ask me.

but yeah if you put something up at 100x normal costs, you pretty much know up front you have to babysit it or be undercut.
    Last edited by Hellobolis; 2019-12-23 at 07:20 AM.