Page 11 of 24 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash The Stampede View Post
    My prediction is that many PS4 and Xbox One owners won't upgrade until prices come down
    Way to go out on a limb there by dude...

By time these systems launch the XBone/PS4 will have a combined 150+ million install base. Most of these bought those systems once they got cheaper, only a few mil are ever sold at launch and then another 20 or so mil over the course of the launch year in total.

So it will be like every gen ever and take almost the entire gen to catchup to the last one... no shit.

Also lol @ the people who wait on consoles to get cheaper going to PC gaming. That statement was a gigantic oxymoron. The enthusiasts who early adopt are the ones more likely to own or in the future own a gaming PC, not the damn casuals who wait on the system to be $200 on black friday.
    Last edited by Tech614; 2019-12-20 at 07:47 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    So it will be like every gen ever and take almost the entire gen to catchup to the last one... no shit.
    Not what I'm saying. If you remembered the launch of the PS4 and XB1 there was a large influx of remastered games before good unique games were made on these consoles. 2015 was the year these consoles got a lot of unique great games that weren't available on the PS3/360. My prediction is that it'll take even longer before the PS5 and Xbox Series X will get an influx of 3rd party titles that are unique to these platforms, because the cost of these consoles are just too damn high at launch.

Also lol @ the people who wait on consoles to get cheaper going to PC gaming. That statement was a gigantic oxymoron. The enthusiasts who early adopt are the ones more likely to own or in the future own a gaming PC, not the damn casuals who wait on the system to be $200 on black friday.
    PC's serve other purposes besides gaming, so for many people they could justify spending more on a PC that can both play games and do other tasks. This is also why gaming has shifted away from portable consoles like the 3DS and Vita onto mobile phones because you can justify the extra cost of a phone since you'll be using it for other tasks besides gaming. As great as the PS5 and Xbox Series X is going to be, the PC will always have an edge in playing games and some people are aware of this. The $500 price tag maybe enough of a reason to instead spend more money on a PC.

I mean, just look at this.

This is also why gaming has shifted away from portable consoles like the 3DS and Vita ]
    No it hasn't, you do realize the Switch has sold nearly 50 million units and it isn't even 3 years old yet...

Gaming hasn't shifted away from portable consoles at all. Consoles both handheld and home are doing amazingly well and the last time it did this well was gen 6.

The numbers speak for themselves, don't know where your getting this "shift" from.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    No it hasn't, you do realize the Switch has sold nearly 50 million units and it isn't even 3 years old yet...
    Yes, and that the Switch is both a home and portable console. The 3DS had 75 million units sold, but that's after the introduction to the smart phone. Before the smart phone era we had the DS which sold 150 million units. That's not including the Wii which sold over 100 million units, and the poor WiiU which didn't even make it to 14 million. The Switch is doing well in sales but to get to what Nintendo was during the 2000's, which again was before the introduction of the iPhone and Android phones, it would need to sell 250 million units.
    Gaming hasn't shifted away from portable consoles at all. Consoles both handheld and home are doing amazingly well and the last time it did this well was gen 6.
    Home consoles fair better but not as good as 7th generation. So far the PS4+XB1 is nearly the same in sales as the PS3+360, minus 20-30 million, but you have to account for the Wii which was a juggernaut. You can't disconnect the Wii because it didn't have Call of Duty. The Switch is currently acting as both a portable and home console, which means it took the sales position of both. Unless Nintendo plans to make a dedicated portable console, the Switch is competing for home and portable markets, at the same time.
    The numbers speak for themselves, don't know where your getting this "shift" from.
    I get them literally from the numbers. Depends on how you look at them. There are currently over 200 million gamers on smart phones, and at some point in history the Nintendo DS had 150 million units sold and the Sony PSP had 80 million units sold. The 3DS has 75 million and the Sony Vita is dead. Not hard to see that the smart phone killed the Nintendo portable star.

Since nearly everyone has a computer, then it's safe to assume the same could happen to the home console market. During the 8th generation the PC as a market grew substantially, to the point where both Sony and Microsoft are making the 9th generation so PC like they might as well put Windows 10 in them. Going as far as possibly introducing incremental updates like they did with the PS4 Pro and Xbox One X. Which I remind people that's no different than what Sega did with the Sega CD and 32X.
    Last edited by Vash The Stampede; 2019-12-21 at 01:48 PM.

I get them literally from the numbers. Depends on how you look at them.
    Clearly not.

Just because one market got bigger doesn't mean the other market is shrinking or that there is some kind of shift. The numbers speak for themselves the handheld market and home console market are doing just fine.

Not addressing the rest of your wall of text because its pointless.

The sales numbers speak for themselves.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Not what I'm saying. If you remembered the launch of the PS4 and XB1 there was a large influx of remastered games before good unique games were made on these consoles. 2015 was the year these consoles got a lot of unique great games that weren't available on the PS3/360. My prediction is that it'll take even longer before the PS5 and Xbox Series X will get an influx of 3rd party titles that are unique to these platforms, because the cost of these consoles are just too damn high at launch.
    Wrong, it will be the exact same as it always was. You are providing no evidence for it being longer. It's literally the same as always.

PC's serve other purposes besides gaming
    They literally serve no purpose anymore outside of having a career that requires the use of one at home. I don't think you actually look outside of your bubble much but the majority of people have no use for a PC anymore, they have various devices most importantly their phone that handle the majority of tasks for them. This isn't 2005, it's 2019. Zoomers are growing up without ever needing a PC in their home at all, their other devices can handle everything they want.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, and that the Switch is both a home and portable console.
    The Switch is a portable console that can be displayed to your TV. If you don't get this since there is literally a portable only version on the market and yet no home console only version idk what to tell you.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wrong, it will be the exact same as it always was. You are providing no evidence for it being longer. It's literally the same as always.
    Here's a chart that shows the sales progress of the PS3 and Xbox 360. As we can see the PS3 didn't surpass the Xbox 360 in sales until 2009, which is when they released the PS3 Slim which finally brought the price of the console down to $399 and $299. Here's where I got the info. The data does suggest an expensive console will have a hard time selling. As for remastered or HD games, just look at the list up to 2015.

They literally serve no purpose anymore outside of having a career that requires the use of one at home. I don't think you actually look outside of your bubble much but the majority of people have no use for a PC anymore, they have various devices most importantly their phone that handle the majority of tasks for them. This isn't 2005, it's 2019. Zoomers are growing up without ever needing a PC in their home at all, their other devices can handle everything they want.
    If you do nothing but consume content then yes a phone or tablet is all you ever need. If you create content, or write papers, or do anything beyond watching videos and playing Candy Crush, then you need a PC. A laptop most likely since a desktop is clunky for most people. It also doesn't change anything if you decide to get a tablet since the cost of most high end tablets aren't too far off from high end laptops. Tablet sales are also declining because there's only so much you can get out of this form factor when you have to deal with the laws of thermodynamics.

The Switch is a portable console that can be displayed to your TV. If you don't get this since there is literally a portable only version on the market and yet no home console only version idk what to tell you.
    You're arguing semantics here. My point is will Nintendo release a home only or portable only console? Because if they aren't then the Switch is it, and 50 million sales is for both of Nintendo's home and portable markets, which at one point used to be in total 250 million.

Right now I could easily make a PC better than a console for $500, but that's not saying much when console hardware is 7 or 8 years old. This includes the PS4 Pro and Xbox One X as a used RX580 or GTX1060 can be had for a little over $100, while the new RX 5500 is like $150. Making something better than a PS5 or XBox Series X is going to take $700, depending on how disruptive Intel is in the GPU market next year. AMD and Nvidia seem to be mostly ignoring the $150-$250 GPU market where the overwelming majority of people buy their graphic cards according to Steam. AMD clearly has no reason to be competitive against consoles since they have a clear bias towards them, but Nvidia isn't exactly beholden to that market. People forget what pushed the PC market into the renaissance was the GTX 970 and R9 290. The competition made 1080p 60fps gaming at max settings the norm, while also making console gaming look dated, even though they really weren't. They're based on the Radeon HD 7850 with less memory bandwidth, but was the mid range GPU of 2012 at $250. By the time the PS5 and Xbox Series X is released the equivalent GPU will again be $250, and if Intel has anything to say then maybe we'll get even better prices and more performance.

If consoles are $500+ then spending another $200 on a PC is good value. Especially when you have to consider that you're paying a monthly fee to play games online. If these consoles were $400-$450 then I can see value but anything more and you might as well get a PC. Also I'm talking about building your own PC, which is obviously cheaper than buying a pre-built.
    Sorry, I was more referring to new consoles. Current consoles do not cost $500, and I would be impressed if you could make a better running PC for the same or less cost as the console itself.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by therealbowser View Post
    Sorry, I was more referring to new consoles. Current consoles do not cost $500, and I would be impressed if you could make a better running PC for the same or less cost as the console itself.
    Right now a PS4 or Xbox One is like ~$200, so no I wouldn't be able to make a PC equivalent to that without delving into used Dell or HP machines that offices discard. Even the Xbox One X and PS4 Pro is hard to match in pricing. A $500 PS5 is not though, mainly because the Zen2+ CPU is going to be significantly slower than desktop Ryzens and therefore nearly any CPU will do. Something like a Ryzen 3400G will do nicely and you can find them for $135 right now. As long as I can get a cheap GPU that does what the PS5 does, which I believe the RTX 2060 would be a good match, but that's currently over $300. At some point I hope that Nvidia stops pricing their products like they're made of gold and lower prices before the PC gaming market has a reenactment of 2006 when gaming graphic cards got expensive and started the meme "But can it run Crysis". If PC gaming had a dark period, it would be between 2006 and 2010. But so far I'm hearing that Intels gaming GPU is going to perform roughly like a RTX 2070 at a much lower cost, but with very bad power efficiency.

Right now a PS4 or Xbox One is like ~$200, so no I wouldn't be able to make a PC equivalent to that without delving into used Dell or HP machines that offices discard. Even the Xbox One X and PS4 Pro is hard to match in pricing. A $500 PS5 is not though, mainly because the Zen2+ CPU is going to be significantly slower than desktop Ryzens and therefore nearly any CPU will do. Something like a Ryzen 3400G will do nicely and you can find them for $135 right now. As long as I can get a cheap GPU that does what the PS5 does, which I believe the RTX 2060 would be a good match, but that's currently over $300. At some point I hope that Nvidia stops pricing their products like they're made of gold and lower prices before the PC gaming market has a reenactment of 2006 when gaming graphic cards got expensive and started the meme "But can it run Crysis". If PC gaming had a dark period, it would be between 2006 and 2010. But so far I'm hearing that Intels gaming GPU is going to perform roughly like a RTX 2070 at a much lower cost, but with very bad power efficiency.
    So all one has to do is buy a CPU and a graphics card and the rest of the computer is free? Here I thought cases, power supplies, motherboards, hard drives, operating systems, and peripherals cost money.

Considering what you have already listed above will cost $435+, I doubt you're going to get the rest for $65. Windows alone will run you more than that.

Quote Originally Posted by Krastyn View Post
    So all one has to do is buy a CPU and a graphics card and the rest of the computer is free? Here I thought cases, power supplies, motherboards, hard drives, operating systems, and peripherals cost money.

Considering what you have already listed above will cost $435+, I doubt you're going to get the rest for $65. Windows alone will run you more than that.
    You don't need to pay for windows, you just get a watermark on your screen, but it'll never deactivate. And even then, no one buys it for more than 10-12 bucks, windows is one that just about everyone buys from Grey market.

Quote Originally Posted by Onikaroshi View Post
    You don't need to pay for windows, you just get a watermark on your screen, but it'll never deactivate. And even then, no one buys it for more than 10-12 bucks, windows is one that just about everyone buys from Grey market.
    Choices have tradeoffs. As you said, you can not pay for it, but have to deal with watermarks and no customization. You can try the grey market, but then that also carries risks. The code may not work, or it could be de-activated anytime in the future.

windows is one that just about everyone buys from Grey market.
    Ah, the ole making a statement that you can't prove. The classic.

those peripherals will last you for literally forever. so yea, if you somehow dont already own a tower or a power cable then yea you have to buy it, but odds are you already have one and you can just use that instead of having to buy anything.

unlike a console where youre forced to buy every part, every time

Ah, the ole making a statement that you can't prove. The classic.
    Well, just about everyone on here, I never see someone on here suggest anything but Grey market. Of course grandma is going to pay full prices.

- - - Updated - - -

Choices have tradeoffs. As you said, you can not pay for it, but have to deal with watermarks and no customization. You can try the grey market, but then that also carries risks. The code may not work, or it could be de-activated anytime in the future.
    I've bought 20-30 keys and never had one not work. They're legit keys, they're just not keys bought in the US, most are Russian iirc.

Well, just about everyone on here, I never see someone on here suggest anything but Grey market. Of course grandma is going to pay full prices.
    Grandmas don't shop on newegg and Windows 10 OEM is always a top seller on there so try again.

Hell grandma's ain't buying OSs anyways they're buying PCs with that shit pre installed, what a lame excuse.

You just have to face facts, not everyone is a dirt bag trying to game the system. In fact the people that are, actually are a minority.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by apples View Post
    those peripherals will last you for literally forever. so yea, if you somehow dont already own a tower or a power cable then yea you have to buy it, but odds are you already have one and you can just use that instead of having to buy anything.

unlike a console where youre forced to buy every part, every time
    MOBOs and hard drives don't "last forever". Hell they get out dated just as fast as CPUs do, and only slightly slower then GPUs. Also if you want to take the risk of building your brand new PC and connected it to your decade old PSU, well more power to you but it's not a smart choice.

Not sure why you guys keep jumping through hoops though, you won't build a $500 PC comparable to next gen systems. Literal fact. Nobody is selling you PC parts at cost or at a loss like console manufacturers are you guys do understand this right?

You just have to face facts, not everyone is a dirt bag trying to game the system. In fact the people that are, actually are a minority.
    I wouldn't be "gaming the system" if MS themselves played fair, deactivating the key every time you change hardware and not allowing you to transfer the key is whack, I would have had to pay over 300 dollars on this computer alone if I bought full price OEM keys. The last one was because my MOBO needed to be replaced... I didn't even change the CPU

You call them up and they are zero help.

15+ Year Old Account
    Get ready for aaaa games

One A for tacked on MP mode, one A for MTX, one A for generic western design and one A for "We hired all these Devs you know and hope they make a good game together" = AAAA.

Like The Initiative is basically what happens when some sports franchise signs a bunch of old vets and hopes to get a championship(which fails most of the time mind you). I don't have much hope for that studio at all. You can't hire devs just because they worked from ND or SSM or Rockstar and think they can make a similar product. It's the system in place that makes the dev studio, not the individual devs.

I would like to see 343 not be stuck on making Halo forever and make an original game vs some dumb start up team like this.
    Last edited by Tech614; 2019-12-23 at 01:03 AM.

10+ Year Old Account

I did say it would cost $700 to build a PC equivalent to Xbox Series X. Also the $435 is what is current pricing, which I already said the RTX 2060 is unaffordable for most people. We're still a year away from these new consoles from being released and a lot can happen between now and then, like an 8 core Ryzen with decent graphics. So I expect prices to come down. But my point is that much like the PS4 and XB1, the hardware in those consoles will be mid range by the time they're released, and Nvidia will certainly have some sort of GTX 970 like GPU to make these consoles look obsolete. The only difference is this time Intel will also be making GPU's. The market is going to be very competitive next year.

- - - Updated - - -

Or go on Ebay and buy a Windows 10 Pro key for $3 like I've done many times. The things you'll find on Ebay.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Boomzy View Post
    Unfortunately Microsoft's lack of JRPGs and Japanese games in general is always going to drive me away, no matter how great their policies or systems are. Really nice console though, ESPECIALLY the backwards compatibility, which is a unique and very consumer-friendly thing to double down on.
    What Microsoft needs to do is embrace the anime tiddy. Japan has a very different culture when it comes to how they depict women, and men who also look like women.