Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jastall View Post
    IMO tier effects should be replaced by special enchantments, that you obtain via boss kills and/or a currency, and can remove and re-apply for a moderate cost. You would be limited to two, and different content can drop different effects.

Class-based armor should absolutely come back however. Tying set appearance to the raid has been a failure so far, with a couple exceptions. Whereas I have to go back to Mists to find a raid tier that didn't have at least one or two great looking sets among the dozen.
    That is a brilliant idea, no, seriously. Except I would cap it to 3 not two. Just as it is now, head, shoulder, chest.

Quote Originally Posted by CrawlFromThePit View Post
    Tier drops are RNG drop like any other. If you hate crappy RNG drops you also hate tier sets because they drop the exact same way that you hate. You also put them on because they have higher ilvl, the only way to remove this concept is making the new tier the same ilvl than the older tier. Acting like there's big cerebral activity going on when deciding what item to put on with tier sets is a falacy, the new tier is better just don't break your previous bonus without getting a new bonus, it's pretty much that simple, it's not deep RPG customization or player choice or unique itemization. Tier sets were absolutely straight forward, the only practical difference with the azerite armor system is that tiers provide no choices, no bonus, no progression beyond getting them. Tier sets provide a lot less and nothing more. Those are mathematical facts.
    Not even close to true. You get an Azerite gear drop.. it might not have the specials you want. You do NOT necessarily equip a tier piece because it's higher level... you may very well have chosen to keep a lower piece because it hit or defense capped you... or had better secondaries. Sometimes you had to wait until you got a second or 4th piece to get the set bonuses to make it worth it.

Progression of Azerite gear? lol... what a joke. no thank you. I would rather get me best gear... then start farminng for next tier. And being able to earn gear that dont; have exact same skins available from a world quest made then valuable and epic.

Nah man... enjoy your Azerite gear in you ARPG game... you can have it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by kaminaris View Post
    Bullshit, I've been mythic raiding since MoP (heroic back then), we did tons of raids since then, tons of M+ in BfA, we hang around practically every day.
    Antisocial? Giga bullshit
    Impatient? Hiper mega turbo bullshit, 300 wipes is nothing
    unable to focus? whut? you jokin?
    entitled? I have no slightest interest in gear at all, bullshit.

You literally could not be further from truth. While having no real arguments.
    Tier sets are garbage compared to azerite gear.
    Such anger. You should probably log in and grind a couple more million Azerite power... that will certainly cheer you up. I do disagree with you though... raiding is a JOKE in today's game... pugging it... getting carried by 15 peeps? lol 300 wipes? Wow.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Yunaqt View Post
    How is azerite RNG? it's predetermined what traits are on the pieces before you get them.

(
    Ever get a drop that had a trait you didn't want? Oh that's right.. you don't care about gear so strapping on a higher iLevel is good enough.

The reason you don;t care is because gear no longer means much of anything. When you had to be more active in your gear choices.. making sure to strive for hit cap, defense cap, reach soft caps for haste/crit/etc.... Gear was important and exciting. Now the game is about getting your new skins and store mounts.

Quote Originally Posted by Maudib View Post
    Not even close to true. You get an Azerite gear drop.. it might not have the specials you want. You do NOT necessarily equip a tier piece because it's higher level... you may very well have chosen to keep a lower piece because it hit or defense capped you... or had better secondaries. Sometimes you had to wait until you got a second or 4th piece to get the set bonuses to make it worth it.

Progression of Azerite gear? lol... what a joke. no thank you. I would rather get me best gear... then start farminng for next tier. And being able to earn gear that dont; have exact same skins available from a world quest made then valuable and epic.

Nah man... enjoy your Azerite gear in you ARPG game... you can have it.

- - - Updated - - -

Such anger. You should probably log in and grind a couple more million Azerite power... that will certainly cheer you up. I do disagree with you though... raiding is a JOKE in today's game... pugging it... getting carried by 15 peeps? lol 300 wipes? Wow.

- - - Updated - - -

Ever get a drop that had a trait you didn't want? Oh that's right.. you don't care about gear so strapping on a higher iLevel is good enough.

The reason you don;t care is because gear no longer means much of anything. When you had to be more active in your gear choices.. making sure to strive for hit cap, defense cap, reach soft caps for haste/crit/etc.... Gear was important and exciting. Now the game is about getting your new skins and store mounts.
    LFR warrior spotted, though Classic fan could do as well.

Oh so exciting porting out to run my addon at the reforger to rejig my stats quickly then being summoned back in. No, hitting some arbitrary number which was not a challenge to hit was not overly exciting (especially if you were raiding at a decent level and were swimming in stats). I couldn't care less about mounts and mog --I pay this game to raid as I have since BC, the raiding is still top tier so I'm still here.

Quote Originally Posted by Treeba View Post
    They said nope. At least not at the start, but I doubt they are going to put them back in halfway through an expansion.
    why couldnt they?wod didnt have tier in the first raid

It just means you never seriously raided. Cause today raiding is harder than ever. JOKE was raiding in previous expansions.
    Also i never farmed AP in this expansion, its pointless.

Field Marshal
    3+ Year Old Account
    Hopefully! No tier sets made me stop raiding >.>
    5'11 tranny, proud of it, but NOT an sjw.
    Margot Robbie = GOALS

Quote Originally Posted by G3 Ghost View Post
    I know when I got instacast aimed shot on my MM hunter back in WoD, it felt great. I dont mean the ability itself, but completing something like that after doing run after run was an awesome feeling.

how did it feel when you replaced it and lost the bonus?

Quote Originally Posted by dcc626 View Post

how did it feel when you replaced it and lost the bonus?
    Dats da problem with rental power gear! Felt shit, I was at my prime back then and when wod ended, had dogshit luck in legion, it felt absolutely terrible.

It just means you never seriously raided. Cause today raiding is harder than ever. JOKE was raiding in previous expansions.
    No it's not.. You have weakauras that pop up in middle of your screen warning you shits, you have DBM that let you know INC danger dangers. It's just bunches of RNGS BEHIND RNGS SLAPPED WITH RNGS MECHANICS that can screw your raid wipe on small stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by trapmaster View Post
    No it's not.. You have weakauras that pop up in middle of your screen warning you shits, you have DBM that let you know INC danger dangers. It's just bunches of RNGS BEHIND RNGS SLAPPED WITH RNGS MECHANICS that can screw your raid wipe on small stuff.
    Raids are designed with DBM in mind. And the skill is to take into account the RNG and react accordingly to it.

And you do know that we had something like DBM in Vanilla?

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Orby View Post
    Seeing as BfA removed Tier sets to fit in the Azerite armour I would like to know if with that feature gone in Shadowlands will we be reverting back to Tier Sets. Nothing against the armor sets but I preferred the more unique appearances of having every class looking uniquely distinguishable.
    they said not at the start but probably during the expansion. i would say the second raid

Covenants seem like the replacement for warmode sets

They said Tier sets will return *later* in shadowlands.

Quote Originally Posted by trapmaster View Post
    I don't know what you're even trying to argue. As someone that has been raiding since vanilla, pretty much every tier has gotten harder than the last with the exception of meme raids like the first tier of legion.

The fights are more mechanically complex, the number requirements are higher, the general playing ability requirement is higher. I don't remember any of the bosses I killed in vanilla (and I killed them all) but I'll always remember mythic KJ. I'll always remember mythic argus.

I'll probably always remember mythic queen. Pve, objectively, irrefutably has gotten harder.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Shnider View Post
    I totally agree with you. there is something special about tier sets that makes you unique.

But I think blizzard position is completely justified. They have 2 reasons for removing tier:

1. They don't want you to get locked in those pieces. They want players to keep finding upgrades for as long as they want to play. Tier pieces are impossible to replace due to how good the set bonus is.
    2. Tier pieces are no longer special due to modern raiding style (except cosmetically) anyone can get full tier pieces within the first day of raid release by simply doing LFR, Normal, Heroic, Mythic.

It seems fairly reasonable to remove set pieces & move the power unto gear. I know it feels bad. But this is the best we can hope for. They also saved a lot of money reducing tier design costs from 10 to 4.
    I think you're forgetting the real reason they removed tier sets. It had nothing to do with gear locking or the sets not being special.

It was because it made balancing an absolute nightmare. They had to use tier sets as band-aid fixes every tier for underperforming specs, and then when a new set was released, they had to make sure the new bonus was as good or better than the previous bonus or some specs were forced into using old tier gear.

There are only so many interesting set bonus ideas you can come up with before it starts eating up too much dev time.

A lot of BFA changes seem to be focused on streamlining the development process and require as little dev time as possible. Azerite armor, island adventures, etc etc.

You'll notice almost all balance changes this xpac have just been them adjusting the dials on azerite traits or class damage/healing auras.
    Last edited by asil; 2019-12-22 at 08:55 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh wow I came back to this thread not realising I had so many responses.

Thanks for the replies all

It was all the expansion was about. So it appears you haven't seriously raided recently. Yep... Mythic raiding modern WoW... so hard with huge colorful zones marked by the encounter.... giant arrows telling everyone when something is coming and what direction it's heading. Yep... hold your Mythic trophy high! lol

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Yunaqt View Post
    Oh so exciting porting out to run my addon at the reforger to rejig my stats quickly then being summoned back in. No, hitting some arbitrary number which was not a challenge to hit was not overly exciting (especially if you were raiding at a decent level and were swimming in stats). I couldn't care less about mounts and mog --I pay this game to raid as I have since BC, the raiding is still top tier so I'm still here.
    I disagree 100%. Reforging was a way to make a new piece of gear potentially useful. And also a way to maximize the gear you did have. It was fun. Much more fun than spamming gear tokens for just the right RNG proc.

"Top tier" raiding? lol

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Specialka View Post
    LFR warrior spotted, though Classic fan could do as well.
    Mythic Monkey? Gear Gerbil? You can have it man... I left modern WoW long ago.

One of the best things Taliesin did on stage at Blizzcon was to tell the Blizzard devs in front of the crowd that people didn't mean "good looking sets" when they thought about tier sets so much as the set bonuses.

Hopefully Blizzard saw the responding cheers and claps and got the message.

I say that as someone who only goes after any item for the transmog rather than the special powers, though.

It was all the expansion was about. So it appears you haven't seriously raided recently. Yep... Mythic raiding modern WoW... so hard with huge colorful zones marked by the encounter.... giant arrows telling everyone when something is coming and what direction it's heading. Yep... hold your Mythic trophy high! lol
    Mythic Monkey? Gear Gerbil? You can have it man... I left modern WoW long ago.
    Lul, have you?

Ah I see, so your opinion on mythic raiding is ultimately useless, good to know there's no point continuing this discussion.
    Nothing wrong with moving on from a game you no longer enjoy though, each to their own.

Ion has this idea that he can do better than the tier set system. It's like trying to reinvent the wheel, and making it a square.

Maybe triangles will work out better for him.
    Scheduled weekly maintenance caught me by surprise.