Quote Originally Posted by Dracullus View Post
    Why we need critics again?
    Well, we don't NEED them. However, I do think most people simply misunderstand how they should be using critic reviews. Stop caring about composite percentages on sites like Rotten Tomatoes. Find just a few critics that you feel have similar tastes to yours and just read THEIR reviews. Ignore all the others. At the same time, I would put zero stock in "general audience" opinion.

As for the show, my fiancee and I are liking it (5 episodes in). Some of it was a bit confusing at the start, but overall very enjoyable.
    Last edited by Adamas102; 2019-12-22 at 11:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sygmar View Post
    I see. Well that makes more sense. If only the producer spent more air time on the relevant content instead of all that feminism.
    The show literally showed all that.

Quote Originally Posted by IIamaKing View Post
    Opinions being what they are, I disagree, Iv never cared for the Ciri Story and dont care for it here. More Geralt and Monster Slaying please.
    That's fine. To me Geralt's monster slaying is more in tune with Xena the warrior princess while Ciri's story is more in tune with Game of Thrones. I try not to judge and tell people what they should enjoy more.

Quote Originally Posted by stevenho View Post
    That's fine. To me Geralt's monster slaying is more in tune with Xena the warrior princess while Ciri's story is more in tune with Game of Thrones. I try not to judge and tell people what they should enjoy more.
    Oh, I totally see that. And I would LOVE a monster of the week style Witcher show, just Geralt going around banging wenches and slaying monsters. Not to say I hate the Ciri stuff, its just not a major draw for me.
    READ and be less Ignorant.

I do see why some people might complain about the looks of certain characters, or adaptation changes, or the structure, or the CGI, or the writing, or the style of show that it is, but to me, all of these things are superficial compared to the fact that the creators and creatives behind the show very clearly gets The Witcher, what it is about, and what it is saying something about.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sygmar View Post
    I didn't the read the books, btw, so the show assuming that the viewer read the books, is rather silly.

I didn't read the books either, and there were several mentions in the show that Nilfgaard was a shithole where the king was more busy spending resources on whores and feasts while the population starved, before Emhyr took over, which happened long after the scene in Ep4 with Pavetta and Calanthe.
    Last edited by Skorpionss; 2019-12-22 at 11:46 PM.

Only watched 30 minutes of the first episode but I like it. My fears are gone. Great casting decision on Henry Cavill.

Quote Originally Posted by Witchblade77 View Post
    /random musings. I literally just watched a video where commented claims that the reason why critics dislike the show is becasue its "not woke enough". meanwhile in this very thread, there are people who are complaining that its "too woke"

and the only thing I can think of is

It's funny, the real answer is that the writers found a perfect compromise and now none of the lunatics on either side are happy, while us normal folks are like "yeah, that was pretty good". Speaking specifically about the "wokeness" of the series here. They created powerful female characters, but didn't do it at the expense of powerful male characters.

OT: While the series could have been better, it was overall pretty enjoyable. All the characters felt like they were well fleshed out and had arcs appropriate to their roles in the story.

The dumb choices were in character and explained well enough not to feel jammed in for plot progression. If you actually paid attention a lot of details regarding the political situation made sense.

The time jumps were totally okay up to the point where you realize they're happening. Then they lean too heavily on it for the last episode and start punching you in the face with it like you're an idiot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Nah nah, see... I live by one simple creed: You might catch more flies with honey, but to catch honeys you gotta be fly.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Witchblade77 View Post
    /random musings. I literally just watched a video where commented claims that the reason why critics dislike the show is becasue its "not woke enough". meanwhile in this very thread, there are people who are complaining that its "too woke"

and the only thing I can think of is
    It's not the right kind of woke for them, White people aren't evil, men aren't all either emasculated or dirtbags, women aren't all perfect beings that are oppressed by the patriarchy.

Quote Originally Posted by Arrowstormen View Post
    I do see why some people might complain about the looks of certain characters, or adaptation changes, or the structure, or the CGI, or the writing, or the style of show that it is, but to me, all of these things are superficial compared to the fact that the creators and creatives behind the show very clearly gets The Witcher, what it is about, and what it is saying something about.
    Agreed. The only issue I had was with Yennefer, simply because she's supposed to be a great beauty (an integral part of her character) and, well, isn't. That said I had no trouble suspending disbelief for that bit, since the actress isn't exactly homely either. How everyone else looked really had no impact on the story.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Nah nah, see... I live by one simple creed: You might catch more flies with honey, but to catch honeys you gotta be fly.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have to say cavill does a good job portraying geralt, tho i dont care for his british accent at all

Quote Originally Posted by oplawlz View Post
    It's funny, the real answer is that the writers found a perfect compromise and now none of the lunatics on either side are happy, while us normal folks are like "yeah, that was pretty good". Speaking specifically about the "wokeness" of the series here. They created powerful female characters, but didn't do it at the expense of powerful male characters.

OT: While the series could have been better, it was overall pretty enjoyable. All the characters felt like they were well fleshed out and had arcs appropriate to their roles in the story.

The dumb choices were in character and explained well enough not to feel jammed in for plot progression. If you actually paid attention a lot of details regarding the political situation made sense.

The time jumps were totally okay up to the point where you realize they're happening. Then they lean too heavily on it for the last episode and start punching you in the face with it like you're an idiot.
    no argument there, i'm just amused at people actively looking for things to dislike that fit into their agenda. I mean.. if you read early posts in this very thread, there is so much talk about "OMG, they are going to ruin it with woke shit", while completely ignoring that novels were pretty damn "woke" to begin with.

show is not perfect. nothing is, really. i'm just happy that they are trying to stick to the spirit of the novels. changes that they made in certain plotlines, make sense in context of it being a TV show.

and yes, that the stories are happening in different timelines is kinda hinted at pretty early on (much earlier than Westworld IMO). like when they mention princess Calanthe in ep 3, when we JUST watched her be an older queen with a granddaughter, for example. I don't know if they went to heavy handed on it in last episode, given that some people still seem to be confused.

P.S. i wonder how much rethoric we are going to hear once the show starts shifting to be primarily focus on Ciri... since its what books do.

I've watched the first 2 episodes and plan to watch 2 more each day, so far I'm quite surprised with how good the show turned out. Cavill plays an amazing Geralt while the rest of the cast doesn't impress me as much. The story is nicely paced with a few boring moments. Lots of action and drama for a first episode, some nice built up for major characters, Geralts swordplay stayed very original to how he fights in the Witcher 3. Some minor complaints I have is with all the monologue and the lightning effects, and it feels like they add a lot of black characters for the sake of diversity. Glad to see that a show based on a popular video game (which was also translated from a book series, but the games are also very popular) is doing so well, even my dad got to like it.

My girlfriend was watching the first episode and I was catching parts of it with her.

It's, eh, fine I guess. Pretty mediocre, and frankly the parts I watched (especially the goofy intro scene) felt like PG-13 Goosebumps or something. Like, the little scene where he looks at the (obviously composited in footage with a bad cgi wound) fawn and goes 'today isn't your day' and then it FULLY CUTS AWAY just to give us some cheap audio effects of him killing it was just, jesus god lol. It didn't even have the balls to show him swing his sword and then cut to black or something.

The opening to the first episode sums up the series pretty well. It shows you exactly what you're going into.

Watched the whole thing now, pretty decent as fantasy goes. Seems they do the books justice(so far) when it comes to the stories and Cavill as Geralt is better than I first thought it would be. The timeline put me off at first, when I got to the 3rd episode I thought I had seen the last episode first by mistake, but of course it wasn't a mistake.

Some silly cgi like the dragons, reminded me of the good old dragons in the 80/90s movies when they talk with the mouth shut, and the first monster in the first episode looks cheap, but rest was fine enough. Now looking forward to season 2.
    Last edited by Doffen; 2019-12-23 at 01:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by therealstegblob View Post
    My girlfriend was watching the first episode and I was catching parts of it with her.

It's, eh, fine I guess. Pretty mediocre, and frankly the parts I watched (especially the goofy intro scene) felt like PG-13 Goosebumps or something. Like, the little scene where he looks at the (obviously composited in footage with a bad cgi wound) fawn and goes 'today isn't your day' and then it FULLY CUTS AWAY just to give us some cheap audio effects of him killing it was just, jesus god lol. It didn't even have the balls to show him swing his sword and then cut to black or something.

The opening to the first episode sums up the series pretty well. It shows you exactly what you're going into.
    I agree, as I've been hammering on about in this thread and other places, The Witcher is very pulp fantasy, and not everyone is gonna like that, and that's fine, as long as enough does that the show gets to continue.

I think The Witcher has a shot at being more succesful than Game of Thrones. Not more popular, mind you, but more succesful, specifically in being what it is, because the showrunners understand the material so deeply and well. If some people here liked Game of Thrones, good for you, but while I loved it for the first four seasons, it became increasingly apparent as the show went on, and in interviews following it, that the showrunners were fans of A Song of Ice and Fire, but they only had a superficial understanding of it, which slowly but surely let to its ill-regarded final season.

10+ Year Old Account
    I won't go into details, but the plot holes and plot conveniences got so fucking massive that even I noticed them, and I normally just gloss those over when I'm enjoying a movie or show. This series went from a 10/10 to a 4/10 by the time the last episode ended. I was so glad Netflix had a 10 second skip button on it during this entire series.

Also, the portrayal of Triss was even worse than Yennifer. No, I haven't read the books at all, and I've only barely played the games. But you'd think the vast majority of the people watching this series would be more familiar with the games than the books that the directors and such would've at least attempted to make their characters more closely fit that than whatever is in the books.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

do many racists in this forum

Flaming isn't allowed. Infracted.
    Last edited by Faltemer; 2019-12-23 at 04:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jotaux View Post
    I haven't read the books or played the games. Loved season 1. It is a bit ambiguous as to what the Witcher is but from the show I surmise its someone taken as a kid and mutated by magic to become a monster killer. They belong to a guild of some kind since it does look like there's a bunch running around and have that dalliance thing. I think Geralt mention 3 in 10 survive the process.
    That's kinda like saying wolverine was taken as a kid and implanted with metal claws, while leaving out all the stuff about his healing factor.

it's kinda funny cause they do show him drinking potions and even grinding up some herbs, but never explain how big a part of it that is.
    yennefer asks about the magic he can do (and how it's different from mage magic), but they they don't even spare one sentence where he explains it.
    there are plenty of moments where they ask him about monster lore, but never show him applying it to monster hunting.

but then they do ham fist in other game references in the early episodes.

Just finished the season. OMG it’s so friggin good. The Yennefer chick is flames and she actually does a pretty good job acting.