Poll: Rate the movie STAR WARS™: The Rise of Skywalker™

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Seriously, I guarantee that what people think is iffy about the latest trilogy, there was stuff in the EU that was metric orders of fucking magnitude more asinine/ridiculous/etc. You can't seriously be complaining about the EU being made non-canon while also attacking the modern trilogy for things like lightspeed ramming or OP characters.
    funny thing is that alot of the last movie was ripped right out of the dark empire series as well as hyper space ramming also being taken form the EU.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sondrelk View Post
    In my opinion all the 3 main characters have shades of a true Mary Sue character, though each one approaches it from a different angle.

Luke is just seemingly good at stuff, and people like him fairly quickly. Though for those movies, or specifically the first one it works, since characters destined to be great is a common occurence in the monomyth.

Anakin is specificaly mentioned as being great at most everything he tries his hand at. He is highly intelligent, uncommonly gifted with the Force and has a mind both for one-on-one combat as well as tatical maneuvers.
    In this case however the movies show more realistically what would happen to someone like that. Only a few people are quick to trust him, and the rest seem to be on some level afraid of him. Alongside this his power makes his arrogant, leading to his hero complex that Palpatine manipulates in Revenge of the Sith.

Rey meanwhile never gets a grounded moment of us understanding either why she is that good at stuff, or a point (at least until 9) where her immense powers are shown to be a problem.
    Rey is shown as a good scavenger, seemingly only held back by her surroundings, not from any internal factor. People who meet her are quick ot trust, even when she has done nothing exceptional to earn it. And her force powers, as well as her combat prowess is treated as a given, instead of given proper context.
    If Disney wanted to make her earn her powers then they needed to make them more grounded, either by showing more scenes of her learnig stuff, or more scenes of backstory with her building skill.
    Or they could have gone more the Anakin route, where her powers are shown to alienate others leading to a moment where she has to confront her inner demons. The movies almost seemed like they were going that route but never fully commit. They could for instance have had moments of her power going haywire, leading to damage either to herself or others. Or more generally showing her as an outcast in the Resistance, most importantly Leia, leading ot a moment where she earns their trust.

All in all though, much of this comes from the effects trying to be far more spectacular than before, making us wonder what makes her so immensely powerful compared to others. Things like questioning why Kylo Ren can stop a blaster midair while Vader could only block them.
    How is luke seemingly good at stuff? He didn´t know how to use a lightsaber or how to use the force.

and wholike dhim fairly quickly? han? who disliked him from the moment he first talke duntil they get to the deathstar? or leia who critizied him all the way until they were on the falcon?

Quote Originally Posted by Clozer View Post
    Great movie. Not sure why Ben had to die, but still amazing. 9/10.
    Spoiler ***

My theory is that Bens hand on Rey’s stomach was intentionally shot to make Sky-Palp baby a thing for future movies or shows. Finn will become the new Obi for Sky-Palp.

Quote Originally Posted by Jettisawn View Post
    You just make out with them like in the original trilgoy.
    ANH was originally designed to be self contained Lucas didn't have them set up as brother and sister until empire.

Herald of the Titans MrKnubbles's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    I'm surprised at these results. The movie was absolutely amazing and I'm very satisfied with how everything turned out.
    Check out my game, Craftsmith, on the Google Play Store!

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    I still think a lot of the complaints people are making are complete nonsense, or can be equally applied to the OT and thus just really boil down to "doesn't actually like Star Wars". There's issues, but RoS is mostly fine. Give one director the reigns for a cohesive trilogy next time.
    They can swap directors between films if the story is planned and agreed upon ahead of time. This happens all the time with TV shows. They can still have writer/directors like Rian at the helm but just reign in some of the carte blanche freedom given to them and make sure certain agreed upon beats are hit.

Quote Originally Posted by Darththeo View Post
    And that's a lie. I read the books. She didn't work with other scavengers save building that ship that she wanted to sell and other larger jobs ... they chose to leave the planet in it AFTER being invited to go with them several times. Please tell me what "book" you read that said she left because she was "better than them."
    Rey's Survival Guide.

Quote Originally Posted by Jettisawn View Post
    It doesn't change the fact brother and sisters kissed on the lips, more than once. Also when they kissed was in Empire Strikes Back. They didn't do the brother/sister reveal till Return of the Jedi and that was an attempt to reveal on the same level as "I am your father". It was in Empire that they had kissed. I wasn't counting the check kiss in A New Hope.
    While it may be were their are familes that do that.

Quote Originally Posted by Daemos daemonium View Post
    making the EU non canon was the best thing they could have done for the franchise the EU was a massive amount of baggage most of which was awful. any thing of value they can bring back into canon which they have been doing.
    I don't think they needed to use EU as any kind of written in stone bible, but they could have at least taken some queue from it. I like how they did it in the Clone Wars -> Rebels. For example: Thrawn was the same basic character theme, just in a different point in the story.

Basically, they didn't need to completely throw out and re-write every character so they could dump their own story in. They REALLY should have used the existing material as reference instead of just going completely off the rails.

Quote Originally Posted by clickerflipper View Post
    Spoiler ***

My theory is that Bens hand on Rey’s stomach was intentionally shot to make Sky-Palp baby a thing for future movies or shows. Finn will become the new Obi for Sky-Palp.
    His hand was on her stomach because that's where she stabbed him earlier. He transferred her life force that she shared with him back to her.

Also, you think anyone would write a story where a guy impregnates a girl without consent, this day and age? I'd love to see that shitstorm.

Quote Originally Posted by Xath View Post
    ANH was originally designed to be self contained Lucas didn't have them set up as brother and sister until empire.
    They made out in Empire.

Whole lot of finger-pointing for a franchise of nine movies where seven of them are terrible.

Star Wars is nothing special and hasn’t been for a long time. The best thing they can do for this franchise is to get as far away as possible from any established storylines or characters.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Merin View Post
    Whole lot of finger-pointing for a franchise of nine movies where seven of them are terrible.
    thats because it make the feat to be even worse that the last ones and to shit on the old ones.

Star Wars is nothing special and hasn’t been for a long time.
    its more about the story told, the concept, etc, the movies are not that great with dialogues and the effects, but was enjoyable for other reasons.

The best thing they can do for this franchise is to get as far away as possible from any established storylines or characters.
    probably the best yes, with a giant timeskip, for me one the big problems with this trilogy is how they tried to build up on top of the old trilogies and old characters, like, denigrating then to stabilize themselves, something common.

Like if it was with totally different character it would be actually way better, if you take away Rey mary sue.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TheramoreIsTheBomb View Post
    you dont have sex with your sibling
    They are not siblings
    Quote Originally Posted by Bennett View Post
    It is stupid, and it's weird.
    Your statement is meaningless without elaboration
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

Quote Originally Posted by Kallisto View Post
    They made out in Empire.
    Yes and the Brother Sister thing wasn't set in stone until return. Originally they just made Leia force sensitive. His sister was supposed to show up in 8 but Lucas figured out that he couldn't do what he wanted with current technology so he shelved the original prequel plans for a bit and wrapped up with another twist that was meant to hit like Vader being Luke's father did. Also the emperor wasn't originally supposed to appear in the flesh until 9.

http://www.theforce.net/latestnews/s...s_19_80270.asp

Interestingly enough the main reason we got the special editions was because he was standing in for Spielberg during the post production of Jurassic Park and was shocked at how far along effects had come specifically Industrial Light and Magic's creature effects. The special editions served as proof of concepts for what he wanted to do with prequels and after they wrapped he started production on the prequels.
    Last edited by Xath; 2019-12-23 at 08:20 AM.

7+ Year Old Account
    A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away
    Quote Originally Posted by Monkeymootwo View Post
    Yeah her character was horrible and annoying. I feel bad for the actress because she got sooo much hate for her role but it’s not her fault :/
    Yeah, it was just a character added for no reason. Marie gets too much hate for no fault of hers, she is an actor doing a job.
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

Quote Originally Posted by Myobi View Post
    Dude, look, good for you if you liked it, I fucking didn’t.
    well thank you for coming around to my side, that's all i wanted
    No sense crying over spilt beer, unless you're drunk...

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by qwerty123456 View Post
    Rey's Survival Guide.
    If you are going to lie, say you didn't remember the book.

"I was very young when I realized that I knew how to scavenge and survive on Jakku better than any of them. They needed me, but I didn't need them. So I struck out on my own."

Seems to imply what you are saying, but it avoids context of what follows. She admits she never had any real independence and was protected by Ungor. Also, you pick a journal which is just what the character thought rather than what actually happened. It is a poor argument at best and you take a quote out of context.
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

Stood in the Fire Fixxit the Gnome's Avatar
    5+ Year Old Account
    One thing that really nags me is that Palpatine's plan was to get Rey to kill him so she could absorb the Sith, and then at the end she kills him!?

Doesn't that really, like, mean, she's got both the Jedi and Sith in her? Or did the Sith die with Palpatine? Are The Skywalker the mythical Grey Jedi?

I think I would have liked the ending more if Rey died, and Ben had survived and taken the Skywalker name to live on to atone for his actions.
    - Dare not to sleep -

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xath View Post
    After Empire. George's story originally didn't end with RotJ.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Fixxit the Gnome View Post
    One thing that really nags me is that Palpatine's plan was to get Rey to kill him so she could absorb the Sith, and then at the end she kills him!?

Doesn't that really, like, mean, she's got both the Jedi and Sith in her? Or did the Sith die with Palpatine? Are The Skywalker the mythical Grey Jedi?

I think I would have liked the ending more if Rey died, and Ben had survived and taken the Skywalker name to live on to atone for his actions.
    She had to kill Palpatine in anger while he was weaken during the prior ceremony. Stupid yes, but explainable.
    –The Sith Code

Quote Originally Posted by Fixxit the Gnome View Post

I'd prefer for Ben to have lived aswell, he's by far the best character to come out of the sequels, but that would have meant that a) the girl dies while the white male lives, which would be a PR nightmare this day and age, and b) I'd love to see the conversation Ben would have with Poe, Finn and the rest. "Hey, there's Rey, and... it's Kylo Ren!" "No, no, I'm Ben Solo, I turned good!" "Where's Rey?" "She... she sacrificed herself for me." "Oh my god, he killed her!!" "No, wait, it isn't..." "He killed her and took her lightsaber, GET HIM!!"

Yeah. That would have worked about as well as if Luke had returned to the Rebellion with Darth Vader on board. "No, he's not evil, see, he's my father!" "They're BOTH monsters, GET THEM!!"

As for the plan, I think she didn't kill him, she basically made him kill himself, thus breaking the sequence we're supposed to believe existed from the beginning, one dark lord transferring all the sith to a new host, and so on. "Stop electrocuting yourself! Stop electrocuting yourself!"
    Last edited by Skulltaker; 2019-12-23 at 11:47 AM.