Poll: Have you been a victim to porch piracy?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Have you been the victim of porch piracy?

With the holiday season porch piracy is rising than ever. People stealing boxes from porches and out of mailboxes not even knowing what they contain. A certain way to steal the holiday out of this season. Police have started cracking down on these thieves. Placing tracking devices inside the packages and deliberately placing items worth over $500.00 to ensure that they’re not gifted with a stocking of coal that’s a misdemeanor but a heavy sack of coal that comes with the weight of a felony.

Have you been a victim to porch piracy this season or beforehand in your life? If so, what was stolen?
    "You know you that bitch when you cause all this conversation."

what is the difference between not and not yet?

Here they take the packages back to the nearest post office if nobody is home (or the driver can't be bothered ringing the bell to find out). I usually have packages delivered to where I work, as that means I know it will be delivered securely. If I couldn't have stuff delivered to work I'd rent a PO/Dropoff box.

Quote Originally Posted by Butler to Baby Sloths View Post
    Here they take the packages back to the nearest post office if nobody is home (or the driver can't be bothered ringing the bell to find out). I usually have packages delivered to where I work, as that means I know it will be delivered securely. If I couldn't have stuff delivered to work I'd rent a PO/Dropoff box.
    A PO box is great to have. Work delivery is great too — If your peers can be trusted enough. Honestly, store pick up and post office pick up is the most safe and you also can have it delivered to the police office if you are a victim of porch piracy which an officer will give his or her card. And keep the case open which they’ll then do tests/stings to catch the thief
    "You know you that bitch when you cause all this conversation."

Do US supermarkets offer a "click and collect" service for online retailers?

IT's not something I've used often but recently ordering some gym stuff online I had the option for them to be delivered to my local ASDA supermarket (which I think is owned by Walmart) where I can pick them up later when doing grocery shopping. It is certainly convenient.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

I live in a civilized country where deliveries are not dropped on a porch but either delivered to the home, the neighbors (if you give permission) or a special pickup point (post office, store, neighborhood pickup point). So no, no one has ever stolen anything from our porch.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nope, but I am certainly counting the days until one of these porch pirates caches a bullet in the ass. Seriously some of the lowest shit people can pull off, never mind a TV or a something expensive to sell or pawn, you have actual kids and elderly having their medications and medical devices stolen.

Seriously Banks have insurance to cover their losses, their no reason for this kind of shit other than fucking greed.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Nope. Not a thing out here in the boonies. The neighbors out here, if we get a package left at our house which does not belong to us, we try to get it to the right person. Just as I did a few days ago. My neighbors have also brought our mail dropped off at them, to us. It helps having a decent community to live in.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

10+ Year Old Account
    Yup. Got my sunglasses from Australia.
    Now I save Amazon boxes and put the cat litter in bags in the boxes and leave them on the porch.
    On separate occasions 2 boxes of cat shit disappeared, no boxes have been touched since while we're at work during the day if things are delivered.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Quit using other posters as levels of crazy. That is not ok

If you look, you can see the straw man walking a red herring up a slippery slope coming to join this conversation.

I would imagine homes will eventually have a delivery closet type deal built into them. I have a metal box I put next to the mail box anchored to the ground. I leave it open and once it closes its closed without a key. I tell them to put it in there and close the lid and they always do it. Of course I live out in the country so its easier than giving gate codes and such. Security on the box could easily be over come by a hammer pry or two but I have kinda come to the conclusion that this is a crime thats taking off because its so easy and in the face of people. Almost daring them to take it. Just a little out of site and requiring a bit of effort deters almost all of it.

I am not very apt at the law but i recall messing with the post in Wyoming was taken very seriously. I get furious when it comes to people stealing medications and the like which should carry a far harsher sentence.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nope, I don't have a porch for anyone to steal.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have a ring and there are alerts at least every day in my neighborhood about someone getting shit stolen off their porch/doorstep. The holidays are the fucking worst because you know there's people following mail trucks around to see if they can get easy pickings... actually it's true because one video shows a guy waiting until right after the ups truck leaves.

People are awful.

Quote Originally Posted by Poopymonster View Post
    Yup. Got my sunglasses from Australia.
    Now I save Amazon boxes and put the cat litter in bags in the boxes and leave them on the porch.
    On separate occasions 2 boxes of cat shit disappeared, no boxes have been touched since while we're at work during the day if things are delivered.
    That’s great. It’d be funny to make a spring device that flings the shit at them when they open the box.

7+ Year Old Account
    Never and I don't know anyone that ever has had their package stolen. I've always lived on property that is just outside of city limits though so it doesn't make much sense that there would be thieves around.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yes, my old neighbour's kid(20 something manchild) stole a $500 graphics card from me.
    Luckily the idiot got caught on camera carrying it and I eventually got my money back from the father since the he damaged it trying to shove it in his shitty computer.

Nope, our porch isn't visible from the streets.

No because:
    1. Over here, the "UPS guy" needs a signature on his form before he can release the package.
    2. I actually have a yard wall, not a half a meter joke of a fence or no fence at all.

10+ Year Old Account
    With people doing so much shopping on JD and Taobao, deliveries here have become incredibly convenient.

First choice for delivery guys is to put it into the coded lock boxes that are sort of in the middle of the complex. Ding! You get a message with your code, stop by the hive, punch in your code (or use the app if you have it), a box pops open, and you pick up your package.

Second choice seems to be the mail delivery office in the complex, but they may not support some of the delivery services. Again, you get a message on your phone, you take the code to the office, you pick up your package.

Third choice is for you to pick up your package from a delivery guy in the designated area. Yep, you guessed it, you get a message on your phone, etc.

They can do deliveries to your door, but it is tough for them to get into the complex and tougher to get into the building. You may end up getting a call and having to meet them anyway. It was just getting too dangerous with all the food deliveries, water deliveries, and package deliveries zipping around like mad men. That's why they're usually stopped at the complex gate.
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

I think porch piracy is a testament to our crumbling society, especially at Christmas time. Christmas has always been a time where people who have money, celebrate by participating in rampant capitalism, while those who are poor usually suffer, or end up just blowing their heads off.

But in this day and age, they steal instead. Probably because they are poor and sad and nobody really fucking cares about them. It’s easy to rage at these people, but don’t worry. Suicide is highest this time of year, and porch pirates are prime candidates.

Maybe something should be done but... fuck me.