Why do they have to blackwash everything nowadays. SMH. Unwatchable now.

Quote Originally Posted by Tradu View Post
    Nobody is saying there were no black people. The point is that they were rare, and this series is based on books with something called "descriptions" of the characters. Triss looks nothing like the books or the games, with one of her main visual characteristics being flaming red hair.
    Go back two pages.

If you're not one of the few children in here crying about their porcelain sensibilities being broken, then there's no need for you to be engaging with this because it's not about you. I'm startled by the amount of racists in here claiming there were no black people outside of Mediterranean Europe and putting in my two cents on the matter because quite frankly it's appalling.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxilian View Post
    As someone who have not and will not play Witcher ever, i did enjoyed the series (i haven't watched it all yet but i'm enjoying it).

Sorry for those that think that the story got butchered, the black Triss stuff, well... as far as i have seen, that's not that relevant, they just wanted to go with the Geralt X Witch instead of Geralt X Triss so yeah
    sorry to burst your bublle but in books he f...ks both in fact he also f...ks fringilla and many others -_- and some wouldnt mind to f..ck with him even "it it was on a hedghog"

and thats not why the story got butchered.

if you read books you would know that they completly changed for example the geralt x ciri meetings , geralt first return to cinitra after he left etc etc. whole nilfgard got portrait as basickly bolshewik revolution when in books it was portrait completly different . there are milion things that got changed to fit stupid narrative about "stronk " Yen mattering much.

do yourself a favour and read books they are very good unlike this woke abomination that got produced.

I have never played a Witcher game I hate single player games, But I am on I think the 3rd or 4th episode of this series and I am thoroughly enjoying it.

7+ Year Old Account
    Enjoyed the story. Thought the acting overall was solid. Looked great, for the most part, on screen. Good stuff : 8/10 for me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kamuimac View Post
    sorry to burst your bublle but in books he f...ks both in fact he also f...ks fringilla and many others -_- and some wouldnt mind to f..ck with him even "it it was on a hedghog"

and thats not why the story got butchered.
    I know, nor i'm saying that's the reason, they were just 2 different statements.

Note: But if i remember well, you do stay with 1 of them or none

do yourself a favour and read books they are very good unlike this woke abomination that got produced.
    I think its quite good, but its also really likely that i'm not bothered by it because i have nothing to compare it with.

Note: To be truthfull, i won't really bother to read the book (I like games, and i'm not even interested on playing that game -the gameplay is not my thing-)

Quote Originally Posted by Cynep View Post
    The show creators have stated very clearly that TV show adaptation of the books is separate from game adaptation of the books. Y'all should forget about "game loyalty" barring an easter egg or two.

Also, I agree with posters who said Nilfgaard was shown far from perfectly in the show. Well, it's only 1st season guys, they'll fix it in a future patch, er, I mean, uh...

It's much closer to "not woke enough". With the exception of two superprivileged women complaining how oppressed they are, there's pretty much nothing that felt "woke" in the entire season. People here complaining about "too woke" are, I bet, all non-Americans complaining about casting choices, which seem perfectly natural to someone from USA or other colonial power but weird to someone from say Poland - lots of African-Americans and zero East Asians in this show. As I said in my yesterday's post, it's not wokeness, it's just cultural differences.

- - - Updated - - -

I couldn't quite follow your thought here. I briefly mentioned how Africans got to America - they were purchased in their homeland and transported over the "a body of water" by their new owners. Europe was completely irrelevant to that - the show was made in the USA. But, had it been created in Russia or Korea, it wouldn't have African-American actors except for characters from Zerrikania and Ofir, and probably non-zero Asians - that was my point of entire second half of my post you quoted and replied to.

Eh, sorry to nitpick, people who could (and would historically) travel by boat from Africa to Europe were Berbers and Arabs. According to the stupid division into 3 races, Berbers and Arabs are both "Caucasians". Sub-saharan ("black") Africans never discovered seafaring and could not travel to Europe on their own until late XIX or even XX century.

So, if your initial point was that there were "black people in europe", well, historically no there weren't, not until colonialism era was pretty much over. There were black people in Americas (because slavery was allowed there), but not in Europe.
    1. people complaining about "forced diversity" i mainly americans.
    2. you are so breathtakingly wrong about there being no black africans in Europe, its almost funny. they DID in fact travel to Europe much earlier then that. a 2 minute google search brought up sources to peruse if you so wish https://reviews.history.ac.uk/review/619
    3. while lack of east asians IS pretty glaring to me (and it is ironic that they seem to be unaware just how often east asian features show up in eastern Europe), having all these black characters is STILl not even slightly an issue. why? cause majority of them are sorcerers and Dryads. 2 groups that notoriously bring in people from all over the place to fill in their ranks. as I said. this is a world where portals are used by magic users EXTENSIVELY. the bigger problem here is expectation of certain people that witcher's world should look liliwhite. considering that while the world maybe based on eastern Europe, its NOT actualy historical eastern Europe.

basically, I find this hyper focus on skin tone very telling.

P.S. this is not a reply to you, but... they have absolutely NO obligation to cast these characters to look like the game. NONE. ESPECIALLY since the game is chock full of inaccurate portrayals vs book descriptions. its literally ironic to me that for all the complains about Triss - she is more book accurate in a show than in the game (the flaming red hair is CD Project Red invention). I love it that Yennefer has actual violet eyes and is tiny, especially next to Geralt. its something that is constantly remarked on in a book, how small she is, even in heels. in a game she is WAY too statuesque.
    Last edited by Witchblade77; 2019-12-23 at 04:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Skorpionss View Post
    There are 3 timelines, they all play out chronologically, it's just that they all start at different points in time. Geralt and & Yen Parts take place over several decades, while Ciri's takes place over a week or so.

I think they made the right choice to have it like this, rather than playing them separately. This way they can show all 3 characters in an episode and don't have to spends 2-3 episodes on each character, without showing the others at all.
    Yen's story must take place over more like a century in that case, considering Foltest and Adda are visiting the mage training place as small children in ep 3, while Foltest is a 50+ old man when inerracting with Geralt in the same episode. And I'm assuming they eventually meet later in the show.
    They're (short for They are) describes a group of people. "They're/They are a nice bunch of guys." Their indicates that something belongs/is related to a group of people. "Their car was all out of fuel." There refers to a location. "Let's set up camp over there." There is also no such thing as "could/should OF". The correct way is: Could/should'VE, or could/should HAVE.
    Holyfury armory

Quote Originally Posted by Larsadius View Post
    I made an account here just to drop some information on the not-so-closeted neo-nazis in here.

I know the presence of black people in your fantasy setting is really upsetting your ideas of a "pure" and "untainted" pre-modern Europe, but I'm happy I get to be the one to tell you that black people absolutely existed in Europe from (at least to my knowledge) the 11th century! Isn't that CRAZY?! BLACK PEOPLE! IN EUROPE!

It gets better! Not only did the poles actually have a word for black people, but black people also led their armies at times! Władysław Franciszek Jabłonowski was an polish general of african descent from the 18th century!

See this guy named Hitler popularized the belief of a virgin living space for a pure white race of beautiful glorious humans "just like the good old days", but it turns out, that reality NEVER existed! Now, unfortunately incels of the 21st century get to go around the internet claiming they understand racial history in Europe just because they watched some 1930s speeches on the internet, when in reality they don't know a damned thing!

So now you can all sleep well at night knowing that your whole reality is a lie, and that people of different skin tones have been interacting and coexisting in Europe for over a thousand years, and have been able to work their ways up into the elite class. Ever hear of black mozart? Joseph Bologne, Chevalier de Saint-Georges was a talented composer of the time for the aristocracy who happened to be GASP from AFRICA! AFRICANS?! in MY EUROPE?!

Get a grip kids.
    I wanna start off with saying that I don't have a problem with the casting of this series but let me explain where these people come from. There are plenty of good reasons to bring more diversity into TV and cinema but you're just spreading misinformation here and that doesn't help anyone.

You're intentionally conflating early modern times with the early high middle ages. This is stupid for several reasons. Firstly, it's a time span of 700 years in which European societies were transformed drastically. Secondly, the people of colour in Europe you mentioned were the product of modern colonialism (which Poland didn't really participate in) which means that they have no relevance when talking about medieval times. Of course, there were other historic events like the Expulsion of the Moriscos from Spane that could have influenced the overall ethnic make-up of European countries but that's also early modern history.

Lastly, you have to take into consideration that Poland is to this day roughly 98% ethnically Polish. In many European countries you won't see a single black person if you visit the country side to this day despite the changes that occured in regards to mobility and migration. You're projecting social and cultural constructs that developed in the United States and parts of modern Europe onto medieval European history.
    Last edited by Nerovar; 2019-12-23 at 04:46 PM.

No beard? Yuck.
    ---
    The United States is an immigrant country, meaning a large part of the culture is based on immigration and diversity, however, a lot of other peoples and places have populations that feel very connected to their locale and heritage as part of their culture. It is possible to have places that are not ethnically diverse for this reason with others like (it was hard to move vast distances in the past) to not be racist. To all the genuinely racist people out there, evolution will adapt your genetic line to your location over the generations, so if you really want more pale people, fight global warming and stay in the shade.
    Last edited by Thirza; 2019-12-23 at 04:45 PM.

considering the witcher world is a single continent it doesn't surprise me that the ppl who are in that worlds version of Africa would have an easier time emigrating north. in fact with a world like that you'd expect huge diversity as there are no oceans separating peoples.

talking of the world i only just noticed how much it reminds me of faerun. uncanny almost. at least the sword coast maybe.
    Last edited by Heathy; 2019-12-23 at 04:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Thirza View Post
    No beard? Yuck.
    Geralt hates having a beard.

Quote Originally Posted by Nerovar View Post
    Geralt hates having a beard.
    But I really prefer him with one. :P

Anyway, I'm enjoying the show so far. I hope they don't their patented netflix cancelboner on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Thirza View Post
    But I really prefer him with one. :P

Anyway, I'm enjoying the show so far. I hope they don't their patented netflix cancelboner on it.
    It seems to be pretty popular. If they listen to the criticisms, I'm sure we'll be looking at at least a couple more seasons. Some of the issues (like pacing and the confusing leaps in time) should fix themselves once they move over to the novels as their source material.

Also who knows? Maybe he'll change his mind on the beard thing later on.
    Quote Originally Posted by LarryFromHR View Post
    I think the main thing people need to keep in mind with the diverse cast of characters, is that the books may be based on medieval Europe, meaning the writer could pick and choose what he wanted to incorporate from that time period, but the show is based on the books meaning the producers can pick and choose what they want to incorporate from those books.
    That's also a fair point.
    Last edited by Nerovar; 2019-12-23 at 05:04 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tradu View Post
    Nobody is saying there were no black people. The point is that they were rare, and this series is based on books with something called "descriptions" of the characters. Triss looks nothing like the books or the games, with one of her main visual characteristics being flaming red hair.
    Yep, it's peculiar that they casted Anna for this role, when at the same time they were trying to find descriptive 'fits' when casting the other main protagonists. Begs to ask the question .... did they even approach Karen Gillan about doing Triss?

10+ Year Old Account
    Wow they really nailed fringilla, she totally had pale skin like in the books which this series is based on xD but at least we got our token black chick in there aye netflix. The dryads, typical black amazonian women wielding spears who are supposed to be green skin and gods with a bow. This aint wakanda motherfucker. And that whole brokilon story was just skipped.. important stuff happens there with ciri/geralt its where they first meet.

It was pretty ok though aside from the timey wimey bullshit. The whole sorceress story line came outta fuckin nowhere... but Geralt and Dandelion are 10/10 and reason enough to watch. There is tons more I could nit pick but I 100% knew they wouldn't be faithful to the books despite that show runner chick going oooon and oooon how she plans to remain faithful. Yeah right lady.

Quote Originally Posted by J012D4N View Post
    Yep, it's peculiar that they casted Anna for this role, when at the same time they were trying to find descriptive 'fits' when casting the other main protagonists. Begs to ask the question .... did they even approach Karen Gillan about doing Triss?
    "Oh, a white redhead" feels like the only justification for that suggestion. I'm sure they looked at a ton of people, I watched an interview where they said they looked at 207 different actors for Geralt before they settled on Henry. There are all kinds of things that go into casting, just because an actor might "look" the part, they might not be available, they might be too expensive, they might just not fit the actual content of the role (I like Karen Gillian, but I think of Triss as a "soft" character, while Karen Gillian has had a bit of a "hard" Scottish edge in everything I've seen her in), etc.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lazuli View Post
    Wow they really nailed fringilla, she totally had pale skin like in the books which this series is based on xD but at least we got our token black chick in there aye netflix. The dryads, typical black amazonian women wielding spears who are supposed to be green skin and gods with a bow. This aint wakanda motherfucker. And that whole brokilon story was just skipped.. important stuff happens there with ciri/geralt its where they first meet.

It was pretty ok though aside from the timey wimey bullshit. The whole sorceress story line came outta fuckin nowhere... but Geralt and Dandelion are 10/10 and reason enough to watch. There is tons more I could nit pick but I 100% knew they wouldn't be faithful to the books despite that show runner chick going oooon and oooon how she plans to remain faithful. Yeah right lady.
    Who really cares though. Fringilla's skin color is as irrelevant to the story as if Idris Elba was cast as Bond.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Arrowstormen View Post
    "Oh, a white redhead" feels like the only justification for that suggestion. I'm sure they looked at a ton of people, I watched an interview where they said they looked at 207 different actors for Geralt before they settled on Henry. There are all kinds of things that go into casting, just because an actor might "look" the part, they might not be available, they might be too expensive, they might just not fit the actual content of the role (I like Karen Gillian, but I think of Triss as a "soft" character, while Karen Gillian has had a bit of a "hard" Scottish edge in everything I've seen her in), etc.
    Also Triss having red hair isn't faithful to the books, it's just her more well-known character trait from the games.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Because fuck you, that's why.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    The real racism is when you inject a specific race into a show that should have none of that race - for the sole purpose of having said race in it. That's racist.

The black actors performed their roles. I have no complaints.
    So you mean like they did then? Glad you also say it´s so, thank you.

It's really disheartening to see this endless debate about and focus on casting choices and diversity.

To those who dislike the casting and the ethnical diversity of the cast: In the current political climate of the US (and a few other countries), it's not an option to feature a diverse cast. It would be considered a political statement to *not* have a diverse cast, possibly ruining the career of the showrunner and/or causing a shitstorm againt Netflix.

To those who think anyone disliking the casting choices are Nazis or racists: It's perfectly possible to want a more strict adherence to the source material when casting - and yet not be a racist. Even if this casting comes at the detriment of diversity and even if you personally disagree about the history or source material. It's naive to expect every single person to prioritize diversity over all other preferences. It's also to be expected that taking a stance on a certain minimum-level of diversity when casting (which as explained above is de facto not optional) can and will upset some fans.

As I've mentioned earlier, the casting really is a minor detail for me - I don't care much about it compared to other things, and I'm certainly not upset because I have some racist notion of not wanting people of color in my entertainment.

But I was also annoyed when Game of Thrones had too racially diverse Dothraki, who despite being a migrant horde and thus inherently more ethnically diverse than a sedentary medieval nation, really should have been pre-dominantly copper-skinned. There were a lot of pale Dothraki in the show. I also thought the Summer Islanders should have been darker skinned - most of the actors were obviously of mixed descent in real-life. These weren't major issues for me - just slight annoyances. I am just explaining how this is not about "black" or "white" - but about the necessities of having a diverse cast causing some clashes with the imaginary world (as I see them).

As this thread makes obvious, diversity in casting choices is divisive. It makes people see the proponents of other side of the argument as far more extreme than they probably are in real life. So while I understand why it is not an option to have a minimum level of diversity, this is not helped by there being a group (luckily a small one) who don't want diversity for such reasons as actor meritocracy or giving all viewers "a mirror", but want to use race and gender swaps to provoke and/or enlighten viewers. I perfectly fine with choice of political activism people want - when it's a fresh franchise - but when an existing franchise is being used as a battleground for politics, it is usually a selfish, destructive and counter-productive act.

That was a lot of words to essentially just say "chill out" to both sides of this argument. Diversity in casting is not going away any time soon, but neither are people being annoyed and complaining about it.