Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Avatar 2 is the new half life 3 and doom united.

Quote Originally Posted by Dead Moose Fandango View Post
    I liked Alita more than Avatar. Does that make me a bad person?
    Alita's plot was a cringey mess imo lol

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ticj View Post
    Alita's plot was a cringey mess imo lol
    Alita is cringey only to people who lack the sufficient empathy to understand the perspective of being reborn.

Quote Originally Posted by korijenkins View Post
    I refuse to see the movie now solely because of his arrogance.
    I refuse to see it based on the merit that I'll likely think it sucks like Avatar 1. I liken arrogance to confidence, and Cameron has earned that level of arrogance, if few people in the movie making business has. If anything, I challenge him to make a sequel and prove me wrong, because I don't think it'll do as well as he thinks it will, but at the same time, I commend the son of a bitch on having that confidence. It's what made him the undisputed king of blockbusters for so long.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ahovv View Post
    Alita is cringey only to people who lack the sufficient empathy to understand the perspective of being reborn.
    That's like the smartest burn I've read in a while on these forums.

I like Avatar, and look forward to seeing the sequel.
    And I would like to see a sequel to Alita as well...dammit. (I think that's probably more Rodriguez's call however)

Cameron may be arrogant, but damn, there's justification for it.
    Then there's that side hobby of his...that isn't; deep ocean exploration.

Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    You are only a minority here among the cool and judgemental ppl on this forum.

And yet..if you need to call this movie a ripoff while it still transformed a basic idea to a new setting...hell..have fun ever watching a movie. If I apply this kind of logic, then why did The Force awakens make 2 billion dollars? Is that ok, because they rip off their won franchise? Hell...I buy Titanic ripping off similar movies a lot more. Or..hell...you have a problem with Avatar being something something Dances with wolves / Pocahontas...but Disney remaking Aladdin and Jungle book in CGI? But that is ok, because it remakes their own 2D Classics? Which already are a rip off of existing folklore or classic books?

Don't even give me Lion King CGI remake of Lion King 2D being a Kimba the white Lion ripoff...I mean..Disney ripping off a Japanese limited animation TV series making gazillion dollars and nobody cares?

Yeah, it is Avatar you want to stick it to....
    Loads of shit movies make money. That's not to say that you can't enjoy something which is near-objectively terrible and be totally justified in that opinion, but enjoying something isn't the same thing as it actually being good from a critical perspective.

Avatar isn't bad because it ripped shit off. It's bad because it ripped shit off badly. It just isn't a good movie on any level other than the visuals.

Lots of drama queens in here.

Yes avatar will retake #1. What he said is absolutely accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormcall View Post
    So just to be clear, he's bragging that he's going to win by rereleasing the movie for it's 10th anniversary and getting a second chance to make money in theaters? Very good James. Maybe Endgame can rerelease 10 years from now too and you can see if your dick still measures up.
    Endgame beat Avatars original release run by a significant margin. The extended cut pushed it past Avatar's re-release numbers.

The difference being that Avatar had a movie over 10 years ago, whilst Avengers Endgame was built up with tons of movies featuring the characters.

It might top Endgame in box office, sure, but will it top Endgame as the climax to a decade's worth of build-up? Fuck.No.

No one wants your fucking Avatar we all wanted you to do the new Terminator

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by WKOstarion View Post
    James Cameron predicts 'Avatar' will ultimately top 'Avengers: Endgame': 'I think it's a certainty'

Cameron believes "Avatar," which celebrates its anniversary Wednesday, will be restored to its place atop the box-office mountain over "Endgame" through an inevitable rerelease, part of a larger plan to rekindle global audience love before the movie's first sequel, planned for release Dec. 17, 2021.

"I think it’s a certainty," says Cameron of "Avatar" eventually passing "Avengers" in theaters. "But let’s give 'Endgame' their moment and let’s celebrate that people are going to the movie theater."

"I don’t want to sound snarky after I took the high road (by offering congratulations)," he says. "But they beat us by one quarter of a percent. I did the math in my head while driving in this morning. I think accountants call that a rounding error."

when he says things like this, this makes me not want to go see avatar 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, or whatever many sequels he's filming, just out of spite.
    Because he's right? Avatar was amazing for multiple reasons. And Cameron is one of the few people who can say this and be right and do it all looking unsmug.

For me the issue is inflation. Not sure why they use ticket revenue instead of tickets sold.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Babadoo View Post
    No one wants your fucking Avatar we all wanted you to do the new Terminator
    Didn´t the new terminator was directed by him?

Quote Originally Posted by Tabrotar View Post
    Didn´t the new terminator was directed by him?
    No. Tim Miller.

It won't make shit over end-game. Why? Because the movie came out 10 years ago and it's first sequel will be 2021? That is just fucking lazy. He promised fans for years the sequel would be out, then kept pushing the date back further and further. They just recently "supposedly" started filming for the sequel. Again lazy.
    Yes, I draw my own avatars.

Quote Originally Posted by WKOstarion View Post
    James Cameron predicts 'Avatar' will ultimately top 'Avengers: Endgame': 'I think it's a certainty'

Cameron believes "Avatar," which celebrates its anniversary Wednesday, will be restored to its place atop the box-office mountain over "Endgame" through an inevitable rerelease, part of a larger plan to rekindle global audience love before the movie's first sequel, planned for release Dec. 17, 2021.

"I think it’s a certainty," says Cameron of "Avatar" eventually passing "Avengers" in theaters. "But let’s give 'Endgame' their moment and let’s celebrate that people are going to the movie theater."

"I don’t want to sound snarky after I took the high road (by offering congratulations)," he says. "But they beat us by one quarter of a percent. I did the math in my head while driving in this morning. I think accountants call that a rounding error."

when he says things like this, this makes me not want to go see avatar 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, or whatever many sequels he's filming, just out of spite.
    "Avatar will beat Endgame after we re-release it."

Yeah. And then Endgame will kick Avatar back to the curb if it is re-released as well.

Geez, what a pretentious salty prick, this James Cameron is.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ielenia View Post
    "Avatar will beat Endgame after we re-release it."

Yeah. And then Endgame will kick Avatar back to the curb if it is re-released as well.

Geez, what a pretentious salty prick, this James Cameron is.
    Well .. thats because Engame actually did re-releas to beat avatar.

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    Maybe I’m one of the few that read this as him being playfully competitive? He didn’t come off as a dick to me.
    Yeah it was clearly playful, but what would the Internet be without needless outrage...?
    I'm salty about the fact that it's been 10 years since Avatar came out. Hopefully the wait will prove to be worth it.

Avatar didn't offer anything new storywise, but holy damn the visuals looked fantastic at the time. I'm not surprised that they made Avatar themed rides in Disneys Animal Kingdom because of it. But this is all that Avatar is, just a pretty looking movie, and the sequel will have to do something similiar to pull in the audience. They don't have much of an established universe that people are looking forward to see unlike the Avengers.

"tHeRe'S nOtHiNg GrOuNdBrEaKiNg AbOuT aVaTaR" "mEdIoCrE sToRy TeLlInG"

End game was terrible. Sure, Avatar had some themes that you can find in other stories, not a big fan myself.. but, y'all pretending Endgame was good and was an original story?

Avatar literally moved moviemaking forward. There's a before Avatar, and after Avatar, in terms of CGI.