Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoshingo View Post
    Jesus what a smug cunt. He's right, he isn't snarky. He's just a pretentious asshole.
    Right??

Honestly half the reason Avatar was successful was because of the new high res technology.
    Blood Elves were based on a STRONG request from a poll of Asian players where many remarked on the Horde side that they and their girlfriends wanted a non-creepy femme race to play (Source)

It's not about being lazy. He was busy with something else; James Cameron Completes Record-Breaking Mariana Trench Dive

At noon on Monday, local time, (10 p.m. Sunday ET) James Cameron's "vertical torpedo" sub broke the surface of the western Pacific, carrying the National Geographic explorer and filmmaker back from the Mariana Trench's Challenger Deep—Earth's deepest, and perhaps most alien, realm.

The first human to reach the 6.8-mile-deep (11-kilometer-deep) undersea valley solo, Cameron arrived at the bottom with the tech to collect scientific data, specimens, and visions unthinkable in 1960, when the only other manned Challenger Deep dive took place, according to members of the National Geographic expedition.

Because Cameron had prepared extensively for the dive, he should be in good psychological health, said Walter Sipes, an aeronautics psychologist at NASA's Johnson Space Center.

"He's got prior experience doing this, not just in the simulator but also training dives ... and he's an adventurer, so I really don't think they'll have any issues to worry about," said Sipes, who is not part of the expedition.

Still, if Cameron plans to conduct more dives—which the team has indicated he will—Sipes recommends he get plenty of rest in between or risk mental fatigue.

"When you start to get fatigued, you start making mistakes," he added. "And since he's down there solo, he can't afford that. He's a [potential] single-point failure."

----------

Deepsea Challenger is Cameron's baby. As I understand it, Cameron hired on his own science and engineering team to make it all happen.

Avatar solely rose to success because it was hailed as super high fideltiy CGI and supposedly never before seen awsome 3D. I don't know a single person that actually gave a shit about the blue cat alien monsters, if anything most people I know think the story was rather trite.
    You are welcome, Metzen. I hope you won't fuck up my underground expansion idea.

I don't get how Cameron's comments can elicit so much hatred, it seems more like stating the obvious to me. According to Box Office Mojo:
    Endgame $2,797,800,564

Given that there are four sequels for Avatar currently planned (with filming completed for the first two) there is going to be a huge marketing push for the franchise as we get closer to release (December 2021) which would definitely boost the prospects of any re-release. It's also been over 10 years since Avatar came out so there is an entire new generation of audience that never had the whole Imax 3D experience during the original run, and the people who did get to might want to experience it again in the run up to the sequel given how long it's been (and the fact that there's 9 minutes of additional footage).

How quickly we forget; Audiences experience 'Avatar' blues

James Cameron's completely immersive spectacle "Avatar" may have been a little too real for some fans who say they have experienced depression and suicidal thoughts after seeing the film because they long to enjoy the beauty of the alien world Pandora.

On the fan forum site "Avatar Forums," a topic thread entitled "Ways to cope with the depression of the dream of Pandora being intangible," has received more than 1,000 posts from people experiencing depression and fans trying to help them cope. The topic became so popular last month that forum administrator Philippe Baghdassarian had to create a second thread so people could continue to post their confused feelings about the movie.

"I wasn't depressed myself. In fact the movie made me happy ," Baghdassarian said. "But I can understand why it made people depressed. The movie was so beautiful and it showed something we don't have here on Earth. I think people saw we could be living in a completely different world and that caused them to be depressed."

A post by a user called Elequin expresses an almost obsessive relationship with the film.

"That's all I have been doing as of late, searching the Internet for more info about 'Avatar.' I guess that helps. It's so hard I can't force myself to think that it's just a movie, and to get over it, that living like the Na'vi will never happen. I think I need a rebound movie," Elequin posted.

Cameron's movie, which has pulled in more than $1.4 billion in worldwide box office sales and could be on track to be the highest grossing film of all time, is set in the future when the Earth's resources have been pillaged by the human race. A greedy corporation is trying to mine the rare mineral unobtainium from the planet Pandora, which is inhabited by a peace-loving race of 10-foot tall, blue-skinned natives called the Na'vi.

In their race to mine for Pandora's resources, the humans clash with the Na'vi, leading to casualties on both sides. The world of Pandora is reminiscent of a prehistoric fantasyland, filled with dinosaur-like creatures mixed with the kinds of fauna you may find in the deep reaches of the ocean. Compared with life on Earth, Pandora is a beautiful, glowing utopia.

Ivar Hill posts to the "Avatar" forum page under the name Eltu. He wrote about his post-"Avatar" depression after he first saw the film earlier this month.

"When I woke up this morning after watching Avatar for the first time yesterday, the world seemed ... gray. It was like my whole life, everything I've done and worked for, lost its meaning," Hill wrote on the forum. "It just seems so ... meaningless. I still don't really see any reason to keep ... doing things at all. I live in a dying world."

The only reason Avatar got half of its box office numbers is because 3D was a big thing back then and this was the most optimizied movie for it.

The movie itself is painfully average. Most people could not even name the human characters from it.
    All they can say is "weeeeelll it loooked goood", yea, who cares.

The story was simple af, seen in 50 variations over the past century in different mediums, the characters were tropes (military bad guy, science guy, native people have a connection with nature, etc) it was all painfully average with as much sugar coating as it could hold.

If Avatar was made today, nobody would give a flying fuck. It would be an average movie with average numbers.
    Nobody even gives a flying fuck anyways. I have not seen Avatar in a single conversation about "good" movies or anyone comparing anything to it, because everyone forgot bout it. It looked good at the time and boom that's it.

Cameron even admitted that people forgot cuz he needs to fckin re-release it for people to remember.
    Let that sink in.

Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    Because he's right? Avatar was amazing for multiple reasons. And Cameron is one of the few people who can say this and be right and do it all looking unsmug.

For me the issue is inflation. Not sure why they use ticket revenue instead of tickets sold.
    Even with tickets sold it's hard to compare, the times were just very different, and the options for audiences were different. Here is the inflation adjusted list: https://www.boxofficemojo.com/chart/...ref_=bo_cso_ac

(removed dollars and just included estimated ticket sales)
    1 Gone with the Wind -- 202,286,200 -- 1939
    2 Star Wars -- 178,119,500 -- 1977
    3 The Sound of Music -- 142,485,200 -- 1965
    4 E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial -- 141,854,300 -- 1982
    5 Titanic -- 135,549,800 -- 1997
    6 The Ten Commandments -- 131,000,000 -- 1956
    7 Jaws -- 128,078,800 -- 1975
    8 Doctor Zhivago -- 124,135,500 -- 1965
    9 The Exorcist -- 110,599,200 -- 1973
    10 Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs -- 109,000,000 -- 1937
    On that list Endgame is a little behind Avatar. Avatar, Endgame, and Force Awakens (which is kind of surprisingly sitting at #11) are the only movies after 2000 to crack the top 20. Only 2 films on the top 10 list were made after 1980. Times are changing, so what is the point of a comparison?

In any case Cameron is a very talented promoter and creator of commercially successful films, it certainly is fair for the guy to be arrogant, (one of his made it to #5! most recent film in the top 10, next most recent was from 82) it's just impressive to see.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well I wasn't planning on seeing Avatar, now I'm definitely not seeing Avatar. Fuck James Cameron.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Vargulf the Happy Husky View Post
    the first Avatar was cool, i liked it, but it's not something i went nuts over. did other people? or was it because it was so high budget and like the first modern 3d movie that made it so popular?
    Definitely an overrated movie. It was okay, I don't see what was so mindblowing about it.
    Putin khuliyo

How 'Avatar' fans took over the world

Obsessive, overenthusiastic, fanatical -- call them what you will.

They used to be the exception rather than the norm. But these days, devoted fan followings are cropping up with increasing frequency.

The latest embodiment of the die-hard fans that have emerged: "Avatards," the loyal followers of James Cameron's wildly popular 3D science fiction film "Avatar."

Since the blockbuster epic hit the cinema screen across the globe last month, countless forums, Web sites and wikis devoted to all things "Avatar" have popped up.

This is basically two departments going at a sales rivalry between toys and Bakery. And people are choosing toys while the entire time Walmart makes that money.

Clearly a winner here is you!

Quote Originally Posted by sunxsera View Post
    Well .. thats because Engame actually did re-releas to beat avatar.
    Still doesn't change the fact that James Cameron is a pretentious salty prick, with those statements of his.

I will go see that pretentious arrogant prick's movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    I will go see that pretentious arrogant prick's movie.
    You and bazillions of people.

People scoff, but as someone cursed with a memory that doesn't just blank out the past, I remember the hype and the love of the movie that after its release.
    It really must be true that most people suffer from a very selective long-term memory... If it rhymes with what they feel, they'll believe that "nobody cared about teh story and aliens of Avatar".

Only, people did, and still do. Avatar 2 might not be the technological step up of the 1st movie, but it wouldn't surprise me if it innovates on something. Cameron likes to do that.

Also, loved his documentary about deep sea exploration.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Well I wasn't planning on seeing Avatar, now I'm definitely not seeing Avatar. Fuck James Cameron.
    This is what finally sets people off? This is the guy who said "I'm the king of the world!" at the Oscars.

Quote Originally Posted by Demona3 View Post
    It won't make shit over end-game. Why? Because the movie came out 10 years ago and it's first sequel will be 2021? That is just fucking lazy. He promised fans for years the sequel would be out, then kept pushing the date back further and further. They just recently "supposedly" started filming for the sequel. Again lazy.
    To be fair, it was like the same amount of time between Terminator 1 and Terminator 2. James Cameron is known to take his time and only work on a sequel when he feels it'll be special and it'll serve an artistic purpose and challenge to both himself and the industry.

The major difference here is, and James Cameron doesn't see, however, is Terminator 1 was special. It was universally well-received, was a success critically, and financially, and it's aged well because of how good the story and acting in it is. It also has an open end that promised something good in the future, without just being a prelude. Avatar 1? Not anywhere nearly as much as he thinks. It was groundbreaking in the year it came out, and inspired a flux of 3D wannabes, but the 3D movie experience was ultimately a flop. Nobody praised Avatar for its story, or even acting, really, on the contrary, they ridiculed it. It hasn't aged well, and its legacy is not on that of a Terminator level like he likes to think. Does it have a fan base? Of course. But even the general audience has moved on and invested on the MCU.

Rereleases shouldn't be included imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Ticj View Post
    Alita's plot was a cringey mess imo lol
    It's not for everyone, true. But I found it better than Avatar's plot. Especially when the hero betrayed the Earth.

7+ Year Old Account
    Cameron is getting a bit nutty in his old age.

Quote Originally Posted by Bhanzai View Post
    Lots of drama queens in here.

Yes avatar will retake #1. What he said is absolutely accurate.
    And yet he's still a cunt for saying it the way he did. What's your point?

Avatar was a terrible film though. The storyline was utter trash, with the film basically riding on the CGI tech at the time. It won’t be ahead of the game in terms of that any more, so continuing that storyline is utterly meh.