Poll: Rate the movie STAR WARS™: The Rise of Skywalker™

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

7+ Year Old Account
    A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away
    Quote Originally Posted by Skulltaker View Post
    It's much simpler. She didn't kill him. She defended herself, and he got caught by his own lightning, again, thus breaking this cycle. Probably, for it to work, you need to strike the Sith down in anger, as Luke would have, or you need to be willing to become the next vessel, as Rey was. But at the end, she was neither angry nor willing.

One might have thought that he had the good sense to stop after he seared his face into a rugged mess for the first time, but apparently, evil is even dumber than good.
    The point being there is an explanation, people are acting like there is no way to explain what happened and why Palpatine didn't take her over.
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

A trilogy with a couple interesting ideas smeared into shit movies, rushing to the end.

Palpatine is the dumbest here then hes ever been, in the prequel palpatine is actually smart he reveals himself onces he believes he has won. He reveal his plan to anakin, only once anakin has turned as his apprentice. In RotJ you could make a case that he is kinda stupid, but again reveals his plan only to luke, luke captured in his private room. I guess even Palpatine couldnt predict entire armies to lose to shit ass mini bears, then again the old plot where its on Kashekk makes even less sense, why would his force field be this tiny building with no fortifications at all?

Now on RoS his retarded reach new levels that only the worse disney villains can. Not only did he broadcast his return before his fleet is ready and left? Why? Once his ultimate goal that apprently was for rey to kill him in anger and he would take her over is about to happen, BECAUSE SHES BEEN GOING ON ABOUT HOW SHES GONA FUCKING KILL HIM WHEN SHE SEES HIM. He open his mouth telling her, why she shouldnt kill him in the first place, even though thats exactly what he wanted? HAHA you are about to kill me in anger, good if you do ill take over your body and rule the galaxy, i mean kill me, sounds good right?

Also he cant fucking control his own lightning... right. He had such great control over it, he could use it to both fool Mace Windu and Anakin into thinking its his last effort, but somehow this time he cant just, YOU KNOW STOP. Rushed story, out of ideas, how do we end the villain, at the same speed he was introduced, the speed of light.

Id say FA is the most rewatchable of the 3, more rewathcable then attack of the clones or phantom menace. If you can get past the fact 2 entire movies made it worse in the process. Surprisingly i prefer the shit show that was the last Jedi to rise of skywalker but thats comparing turds to one another, it has better action scenes then rise of skywalker. Both movies i consider on par with Phantom menace and attack of the clones, but all for different reasons. All these 4 movies id consider skipping 80% of the movie.

They got two of the most incompatible director to make a single trilogy, which is an accomplishment in itself. A guy that literally can only make ideas of plotlines, which is decent enough to start a story line, but has never in his entire career made any of it pay off at all. You need someone smart to play ball and go like, hmmm interesting ideas JJ, i guess this should pay off like this, this and this. Because JJ sure has hell never been able to ever finish his "ideas". Then Rian Johnson, a good filmmaker, also a filmmaker that literally always wants to go against the grain as much as possible? How can this go wrong, guy that loves to destroy plot lines and guy that only know how to start plot lines, this can only end well.
    Last edited by minteK917; 2019-12-24 at 01:30 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    People arguing over technicalities make one thing apparent. Dooku was and still is the worst Sith.

Its pretty clear that Sidious' little Sith ritual was predicated on murder.

Doesn't matter if the EU came with it, whether we first it in canon. None of that matters. Spac wizard does unnatural space voodoo.

We've only seen one Sith straight murdered in canon. Know what happened to his murderer? He became Darth Vader.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Quote Originally Posted by Horrid Crow View Post
    I don't think so. I think we all just have to assume that Palatine survived at the ending of RotJ, seeing how mangled up he is.

- Either the fall didn't kill him, and he escaped before the explosion of the Death Star II. There is more than enough time for him to do so, seeing how we had that whole Luke and Anakin moment before they escaped the explosion.

- He did fall down, but survived. We clearly see debris spreading everywhere after the explosion. Maybe he was stuck on a piece of debris that fell down. This theory seems the least likely though, but meh. You have to suspend your disbelief anyway since TRoS never explains what really happened.
    we see the guy flipping around lightsaber fighting with yoda all over the Senate in 3, so we know the old boy is agile. it's the force "explosion" that happens after he falls in RotJ that has me curious. we see all his minions in RoS so i'd say its safe to assume there were more minions in RotJ that we just didn't see on screen. i know a couple of his priests are in a scene, so maybe some of those guys grabbed him and ducked out before the explosion. i would imagine their minds are linked to palpatine, or he has them in complete control mentally, so they would come runnin' to his aid even as he was falling. they would know probably.
    No sense crying over spilt beer, unless you're drunk...

Can someone explain why Palpatine told Kylo Ren to kill Rey if he really wants Rey to kill him so the Sith power can transfer to her and she can become the new With Lord¿

Quote Originally Posted by Daemos daemonium View Post
    the movie opens with rey training and poe being upset that all she does is train and not help on missions.
    Which is impossible since both E7 and E8 make the statement that Leia had no training.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by minteK917 View Post

Palpatine is the dumbest here then hes ever been, in the prequel palpatine is actually smart he reveals himself onces he believes he has won. He reveal his plan to anakin, only once anakin has turned as his apprentice. In RotJ you could make a case that he is kinda stupid, but again reveals his plan only to luke, luke captured in his private room. I guess even Palpatine couldnt predict entire armies to lose to shit ass mini bears, then again the old plot where its on Kashekk makes even less sense, why would his force field be this tiny building with no fortifications at all?
    I'm going to have to stop you right here because you clearly say one of Palps dumbest moves is when we first met him...so it's like his fatal arrogant narcissism is a character trait of his. In fact he does the exact same "I'm going to throw myself onto the train tracks, someone better save me" twice in RoS. Once where he gets himself 'captured' by Dooku and another when he let's the Jedi corner him. It's like...its like...Palpatine loves putting himself in fatal situations.

Palpatine went into the throne room on RotJ knowing there was a chance he'd die, he took it because he is Sith crazy. He placed the Rule of Two on trial. This is while forcing the Empire to protect him in a horrible situation. It's prime Palps.

He did the sake thing in RoS. You could have he played chicken with his life half the time he taunts prime Vader during the latter half of the Imperial era (in canon) . It's Palps personality. Brilliant forward thinker, takes social darwinism to its bleeding edge.

Sith believe in absolute power above all things, even if it's not their own. Palpatine is a Sith. He has nothing wanted anything more but for someone to kill him for the person who killed him would have to bigger badass than himself. Thus that person would further advance the Sith...unless you're a pesky Skywalker named Anakin.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    Can someone explain why Palpatine told Kylo Ren to kill Rey if he really wants Rey to kill him so the Sith power can transfer to her and she can become the new With Lord¿
    Well like any good evil mastermind you should have multiple plans/back up plans. When Rey arrived there the situation changed and how better to continue living on than through the granddaughter-turned-Sith?

As old and powerful as Palpatine is, younger Rey would probably be even more powerful?

Because bad writing

Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    I'm going to have to stop you right here because you clearly say one of Palps dumbest moves is when we first met him...so it's like his fatal arrogant narcissism is a character trait of his. In fact he does the exact same "I'm going to throw myself onto the train tracks, someone better save me" twice in RoS. Once where he gets himself 'captured' by Dooku and another when he let's the Jedi corner him. It's like...its like...Palpatine loves putting himself in fatal situations.

Palpatine went into the throne room on RotJ knowing there was a chance he'd die, he took it because he is Sith crazy. He placed the Rule of Two on trial. This is while forcing the Empire to protect him in a horrible situation. It's prime Palps.

He did the sake thing in RoS. You could have he played chicken with his life half the time he taunts prime Vader during the latter half of the Imperial era (in canon) . It's Palps personality. Brilliant forward thinker, takes social darwinism to its bleeding edge.

Sith believe in absolute power above all things, even if it's not their own. Palpatine is a Sith. He has nothing wanted anything more but for someone to kill him for the person who killed him would have to bigger badass than himself. Thus that person would further advance the Sith...unless you're a pesky Skywalker named Anakin.
    Doesent explain why he gives her the reason not to do the things you just saying he wants her to do, that she was about to do the entire film.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrod View Post
    So if Darth Maul had died instead of being mutilated, Obi Wan would have become a Sith. He tried to kill him, and thought he did kill him, but because he lived, Obi Wan gets to be a Jedi.
    Sidious wanted Rey to kill him as part of a Sith ritual.

Obi-wan would stuck down Maul in self-defense. Hell, it's pretty clear all throughout canon that Jedi are supposed to avoid killing their foes when the opportunity presents itself.

We only see a Jedi kill another lifeform a handful of times.

Mace was on the verge of killing in anger when Palpy was defenseless.

"A handful of times?" Rey killed like 5 of the random red guys right at the end, and she was involved in the (absurd) run through the death star where they killed like 30 stormtroopers. She killed more random red dudes in the last episode too.
    Yoda and Obiwan walk into the jedi council killing entire armies of republic clones that follow orders of the senate. Peaceful we are.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's RotJ all over again but spread out over a longer period of time. Hell it's almost the entire OT.

Kylo was the prime candidate. Rey was Palps 'A New Hope'. Kylo failed failed Throne Room 2.0 in TLJ, started to smell way too much of Anakin. Rey became Luke, "Since Vader (Kylo) is a fuck up then I'll have Luke (Rey)."

ST really is just the OT retold.

10+ Year Old Account
    Mace was on the verge of killing in anger when Palpy was defenseless.

"A handful of times?" Rey killed like 5 of the random red guys right at the end, and she was involved in the (absurd) run through the star destroyer where they killed like 30 stormtroopers. She killed more random red dudes in the last episode too. Didn't I imply killing in self defense is on the table?

The "Sith Ritual" doesn't explain why she felt she had to restrain from just swinging her light saber through him the moment she saw him in a non ritualistic way.
    There's a lot to say about Mace and his honor system. Powerful Jedi, one of main culprits behind Anakin's fall with his unapologetic Knights Templar nonsense.

Bolded part, because it would definitely be a crime of passion. Know what Sith love...passion. Deal still would have been on ie Anakin beheading Dooku when have too while Palpatine damn near had a Sith orgasm while watching it happen.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Same reason he wanted Anakin to kill Dooku, Luke to kill Vader, only in this case he wanted Rey to kill Ben. But he couldn't just tell Kylo - go find Rey so she can kill you and turn to the dark side, so he went "Kill Her!", and if Ben was to succeed - "fine, he's more powerful than Rey - more power to me", and if they were to team up to kill Palp - "fine - now they are both here, I can deal with them myself"

It's the fucking Palpatine! The guy who manipulated Yoda into believing that the Sith Lord is out there but not here in the Senate (or rather The Senate itself). He had plans within plans within plans and then some contingency plans within contingency plans.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

10+ Year Old Account
    And yet if he's force lightning a Jedi who is deflecting it back at him, he's like, "Damn, I don't know what to do here" and he dies.
    Have you ever been electrocuted? Have you experienced the inability to do anything while in electric shock?

He couldn't stop the lightning when Windu reflected it back on him - he was in shock, and maybe since it's force lightning it cannot be stopped if it closes the circuit so to speak.

As we have seen it two times in the movies - it's basically a law - if you get your force lightning reflected back at you - you are fucked.

Why didn't he stop while Rey was just hiding behind the saber? Well she was weak and he thought he could overpower her and he did have progress in that - there was no danger for him. And as all Sith, he was full of himself. But then suddenly all Jedi pitched in and it was mace Windu all over again but this time there were no Anakin to save the day.
    Last edited by Elim Garak; 2019-12-24 at 02:22 PM.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

10+ Year Old Account
    Here's another baby example of the silliness of the plot. When they're trying to get to the Death Star and there's a storm. Rey is like, hey, I'm a badass Jedi who can stop ships from flying in their tracks. I've got this.

But because the movie plot is designed to make it seem like Rey's anger is getting the best of her, everyone else is like no omg she's gone crazy.

I felt like there was a lot of this type of plot in the later seasons of GoT, where they had characters reacting to each other illogically because they knew where they wanted the plot to go.

- - - Updated - - -

And yet if he's force lightning a Jedi who is deflecting it back at him, he's like, "Damn, I don't know what to do here" and he dies.
    Star Wars has been silly since ANH.

The Empire has just been doing God knows what to the Falcon and wants to find the secret Rebel base. I know! Let's fly straight there!

People give this franchise way too much credit.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    Have you ever been electrocuted? Have you experienced the inability to do anything while in electric shock?

He couldn't stop the lightning when Windu reflected it back on him - he was in shock, and maybe since it's force lightning it cannot be stopped if it closes the circuit so to speak.

As we have seen it two times in the movies - it's basically a law - if you get your force lightning reflected back at you - you are fucked.
    Dookus one good trait, he knew when to stop the lightning.

I really wish I could change my vote from 1 star to 0 stars. This movie is pure dogshit. Having old mate Palpy survive the Death Star is one of the most calamitous decisions in cinema history. What it does to Anakin's legacy, and his entire character arc is beyond forgiveness. The rest is just flashy bullshit on screen, with dull, empty characters that have no development because no one at Disney had the forethought to actually plan out a coherent story across three movies in a trilogy

The action is terrible and pointless (just like it was in the prequels) because everything is on such a large scale that it diminishes the efforts of individuals, and then at the end it's only Rey that matters, everyone else might as well not even be in the movie. Thank god the ticket was a comp, there is no way this is worth anyone's money. I will, however, never get that time back.

Quote Originally Posted by Ragedaug View Post
    In RotJ, it's clear to me that Palps didn't want to or expect to be "struck down" by Luke. He was goading him until Luke got mad enough to engage Vader.

Based on all other SW lore, I have no reason to believe a Sith's essence invades you when you kill them, so I have to suspend disbelief for that scene and imagine he was pulling some kind of bluff or something. Like maybe stalling her killing him by saying she would become him, even though she wouldn't.
    No that's generally not how it works. There is precedent for it with excessively powerful sith in the expanded universe lore. Vititate/Valkorian actually does this to the player character (among others) in the game Star Wars the Old Republic: Knights of the Fallen Empire.

For this scene in the movie he specifically says to start the ritual when she agrees to strike him down in anger. It isn't something that just happens. They were going to perform some type of sith ritual to facilitate this. I know sith rituals haven't gotten a ton of screen time, but if you're a big star wars nerd and have read books and played games this wasn't that unbelievable.

10+ Year Old Account
    When he was using it on Mace he stopped on his own.
    That's not how it went. Mace stopped reflecting it, Palp stopped the lightning. In that order. Go watch it on Youtube or something.

If you experience the inability to do anything because you're being shocked, then why does he continue to produce lightning?
    In order to stop the lightning, you have to do something, plus I already mentioned the closed circuit. The lightning got into a feedback loop.

You are basically asking me "why didn't Luke just roll out of the lightning?"

I guess you're committed to finding explanations for everything that happened here and I tend to view them as convoluted ways to justify a plot I see as hopelessly silly.
    I'm sorry, is it an issue of "I don't know how to explain what happened and since I'm the smartest person in the universe - it means it's a pile of shit"?

You can go that route if you want - it doesn't detract from my enjoyment of the movies.