Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Niwes View Post
    because you will not win when blizz realizes that quality is not nescessary in game, because they can make same money with tokens anyway.

the result of all of this is, that on top of above problems, they make wow even more cheap shit, because as long as the transport medium works out, as long they make money by smart systems and not by more subs (via more ppl play wow, because wow gets more quality).

in short: you help making wow more bad, with supporting tokens, because you teach blizz that they can easily earn money without big investments in better games. internet and ppl that loose more and more interest in wow cause it becomes more and more cheap grind shit, will reflect you that.
    What makes you think if wow was sustained on "subs alone" they'd bother to make a better game? Subs are dropping steadily since end of wotlk / start of cata, who says they wouldn't at some point just shut down the game as unprofitable and swap their efforts into hearthstone, overwatch, diablo: immortal and whatever has bigger profit potential for lower development costs?

MMOs are outdated and the only ones rolling are the ones that live from mtx, even FF14 that has a sub as well has transmog mtx and whatnot.

You make some weird assumption that them making less profit would mobilize them do invest more? Why? If a product drops in profitability first thing you do is cut costs and second you put it in maintenance mode (= no new content, look diablo 3) or completely stop supporting it.

Plus literally you could say WOD had poor amount of content and was developed before tokens, and Legion launched after tokens were added and had much more content... is there a correlation? Well who knows except Blizz themselves.

People cry about store mounts in WOW but check any other MMO and it has 10x bigger cash shop. People cry about Allied Race unlocks but at least it's not SWTOR where you have to buy new races from the cash shop.

Quote Originally Posted by Drusin View Post
    Hmm, I try to sell 6 tokens a month for gold so for the past 6 months I'd say I've spent $720 and then I need some more for when brutosaur was announced as leaving to buy that so another $240 brings us to $960. And I couldn't tell you how many tokens I've bought for gold since they added them.
    And thanks to people like you I can play wow for free. We can say it's transfering money from the rich to the poor.

A couple hundred dollars. I used tokens to buy BfA on my account and buy game time.

Maybe 2 months by now. With current prices it's a waste of gold if you don't have financial problems otherwise.

10+ Year Old Account
    $0 lol

It's actually the opposite. I have bought like 15 of these things over the last couple years just to get a gold bump here and there.

priceless causing buying one every few months for gold saves me farm time and I can do what i enjoy in game.
    Member: Dragon Flight Alpha Club, Member since 7/20/22

Quote Originally Posted by Arazen View Post
    Tokens don't seem worth it when you consider that you'd be working for Blizzard at a way below acceptable rate/hour
    You're making an awfully large assumption on the price of gold as a commodity as well as presuming it's not something that most people are accumulating in excess during their normal gameplay.

Quote Originally Posted by Amarys View Post
    Yep.. but I have those alts from the before times, the long long ago, so might as well put them to use. I didn't say you or anyone else should copy it, just that I'm able to play for free because of this. Also I leveled them during WoD mostly and back then, they literally made millions because of gold missions.. that I regretfully wasted on HS packs and buying junk from BMAH.

$15 might not seem like much but if I save that from here and another $15 from there, it really adds up. Maybe it's just me but I'd rather save up to buy bigger things, like new hardware, phones.. whatever. Besides, why do you assume most players work? I'm guessing at least half the players go to school or college and don't have a job.
    cause i was working since I was 15, I guess, part time jobs at first. in college especially there is no way i could find the kind of time required to grind gold and still have time left to play without detracting from actual college learning (I guess some people go to college fro that college party experience or whatever, but i found that way too expensive to go to college and not try to actualy learn). I did make a lot of gold in WoD but back then tokens cost 18k and we had those 5k blingtron missions at the garrison. but i didn't make it into the production of the scale that you seem to have. I still question your time estimates. and I still think that its more efficient at this point to just get a part time job or something for most people who are not sitting on gold stockpiles. time is a precious commodity after all.
    Last edited by Witchblade77; 2019-12-24 at 05:19 PM.

None. My work pays me 32 euros after taxes per one hour. Its not even a particularly good wage in my field. But why would I work more at home, grinding gold, when I can just buy gametime? Like, you can't save money with WoW token unless you can grind several tokens worth in one hour, anything else, you have wasted your time. Hours and hours of your time.

Time is the only finite resource we have in this life. Why spend it grinding gold? Rather spend it doing something more enjoyable. You can tell yourself some lie about "saving money" but hell, any work will pay for the token faster than you can grind the money ingame. Don't lie to yourself, don't waste your time.

Quote Originally Posted by Teflon View Post
    any work will pay for the token faster than you can grind the money ingame.
    Assuming you live in 1st world country, not everyone does. Also some people might actually enjoy making gold in wow, so there's that.

While that's true now, back in Legion I was making ~55k gold per day just refreshing table missions. Near-zero effort. The money flowed quickly.

10+ Year Old Account
    I had tokens for 36 months at the beginning, at price of ~20-25k each, the maximum actually, I was blocked after..., I won't tell you how I got my golds but I saved at least 500$!

Not poor enough to care about such things. I don't play the AH so it's easier for me to make money irl than in game in order to buy game time.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Funkenstein View Post
    Wrong. At least in the sense that you're trying to pretend that sugar and flour has no intrinsic value and it just magically, wonderfully, splendiferously came into being and has zero value for anything else.

Learn how money works before continuing. Thanks.

- - - Updated - - -

See above. And hey, thanks for proving my point about the people who would try to claim I was wrong.

(And I have no fucking idea how you think I was talking about gold in Blizzard. Jesus Christ...)
    You come in here calling people who spend WoW gold to pay for their subscriptions and think they're getting it for free fools but don't see how the value of WoW gold is central to the argument? It's hard to really know where to begin.

You neither own your WoW gold nor are able to legally sell it. The intrinsic value is far less meaningful for such a commodity. WoW gold is more comparable to say, stolen artwork. Sure, it looks just as good on my wall but I can only sell it for small fraction of what the legitimate owner could, so how much is it really worth to me?

10+ Year Old Account
    None. Anyone who's saying it's saved them money is quite frankly a liar.

Quote Originally Posted by Depakote View Post
    They were AMAZING in WoD. A token was only 15k gold, and we were all making gold hand over fist sending npcs out with treasure finder traits. Multiplied by a few alts you logged in once a day and you were looking at about 4 months worth of subscription per one month played just for logging in once a day. Then of course Legion came and the treasure finder gravy train ended. Then the cost of the token started going through the roof to something stupid like 130k gold when it was 15k for all of WoD. Looking forward, wow token is trash. But looking back, it was incredible.

As an aside, it grinds my gears when people would dismiss players that complained about the skyrocketing cost of the token. "It isn't set by bliz, it's set by the players!!" And yet, when Blizzard does something like open the token up from just a WoW sub to literally anything, OF COURSE it's value skyrocketed!

Quote Originally Posted by Merie View Post
    They were AMAZING in WoD. A token was only 15k gold, and we were all making gold hand over fist sending npcs out with treasure finder traits. Multiplied by a few alts you logged in once a day and you were looking at about 4 months worth of subscription per one month played just for logging in once a day. Then of course Legion came and the treasure finder gravy train ended. Then the cost of the token started going through the roof to something stupid like 130k gold when it was 15k for all of WoD.
    I averaged 15k gold per day back in WoD and 55k/day by the end of Legion. I did refresh missions typically twice per day, though. Sometimes three times. 130k gold was nothing, every one of my 12 characters had between 1-2 million gold when patch 8.0 hit.

How do you figure that?

I haven't paid any cash for WoW time since the token was added. I haven't bought an expansion since the token was expanded and allowed other features to be sold. I also have bought most cash shop items, Destiny, D3 expansions, OW, 4 Blizzcon virtual tickets and about 5 years worth of game time for other ppl. Last time I added it all up it was over 2k in stuff. Now I would have never bought most of it if I had to pay cash though. When the token was really cheap I freequently capped out at the 10 you could buy a week and was at the 3 year buffer of gametime you could have.

- - - Updated - - -

Well that is pure nonsense. My garrison passively bought years of game time for me and some of my friends on its own. All Blizzard things have been free for me for years now all purchased with gold I have passively made playing the game. I don't farm things, with the exception of setting my garrisons up to max gold when that was an option I haven't spent any in game time trying to make gold.

- - - Updated - - -
    They were AMAZING in WoD. A token was only 15k gold, and we were all making gold hand over fist sending npcs out with treasure finder traits. Multiplied by a few alts you logged in once a day and you were looking at about 4 months worth of subscription per one month played just for logging in once a day. Then of course Legion came and the treasure finder gravy train ended. Then the cost of the token started going through the roof to something stupid like 130k gold when it was 15k for all of WoD. Looking forward, wow token is trash. But looking back, it was incredible.

As an aside, it grinds my gears when people would dismiss players that complained about the skyrocketing cost of the token. "It isn't set by bliz, it's set by the players!!" And yet, when Blizzard does something like open the token up from just a WoW sub to literally anything, OF COURSE it's value skyrocketed!
    17k is the cheapest they ever were and that was only for 2 days because they sold out and that caused them to spike back over 20 and never go that low again.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

I've only ever used tokens in exchange for gold. Some folks are able to make enough gold to pay for a sub and the like, but I'm one of those for whom it's easier to just spend money to buy tokens and sell them for gold instead.

As an aside, it grinds my gears when people would dismiss players that complained about the skyrocketing cost of the token.
    It's pretty stupid to complain about it, because if token value was trash who in their right mind would spend 20$ of hard earned money on it? Even if for some in this thread it's "15 mins of their work", why buy gold if you're gonna get a pittance? Token value needs to be high enough so people who buy it to get the gold, get their value back.

Seriously I wanna ask any of the people who actually pay for tokens, would they keep buying them if 20$ only translated to 15k in game gold. Because to me that's ridiculous.