Page 1 of 2
LastLast

New Video card and cpu posting 100c under load.

I just picked up a 2070 Super, installed it and noticed things were a bit choppy. I reinstalled graphics drivers and checked for system updates. After going through that process, I still noticed my computer seemed substantially slower with the new card. I checked afterburner to see that my cpu is at 75c idle and 100c underload. I took the side panel of my case of and didnt notice any significant difference. I decided to try putting the old card back in and temps for cpu are immediately back to normal. 55-65c range.

The coolers on the cards are different. My old card is a maxwell titan with the single air intake fan that blows out the back. The new card is an MSI Ventus. Would the difference in cooling account for a 20-40' difference or is something else up?

For reference the cpu is an i7 7700 with stock cooling. Any insight would be appreciated.

Whats your intake fans and exhaust like, sounds like a system with 0 air circulation, so the new GPU --> Maximum hotness-->0 recycling-->Game over.

The ventus basically passively produces around to 60-70C, which now blows into your system which seems to have terrible exhaust, therefor, heat.

And wait, since when is the default Intel cooler okay at 55-65? The default cooler keeps shit at around 42-48C, averagely 50-55C during summer in a 40c Country, at winter i have even seen 39C on older non-soldered models, such as yours.

Having 55-65 during winter, means your stock cooler aint working properly at all, replace it.
    Last edited by potis; 2019-12-24 at 09:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by potis View Post
    Whats your intake fans and exhaust like, sounds like a system with 0 air circulation, so the new GPU --> Maximum hotness-->0 recycling-->Game over.

The ventus basically passively produces around to 60-70C, which now blows into your system which seems to have terrible exhaust, therefor, heat.
    Id tend to agree, but if that was the case, taking the side panel off should have helped no?

Having 55-65 during winter, means your stock cooler aint working properly at all, replace it.
    Thats possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Eugenik View Post
    Id tend to agree, but if that was the case, taking the side panel off should have helped no?
    No, your issue is that your stock cooler is at its wits end, therefor its not functioning properly, therefor its not cooling its own self as it should, as i said above, during winter you should be seeing 40C, not 55-65C and calling it Normal.

Now that your ventus is blowing 70C of air straight into it, everything went massively up.

Also, side panel open doesnt mean anything, if nothing is guiding the air towards the cooler, it wont magically suck it up, maybe it would if the room ambient temperature was like 15C, but i doubt you are gonna freeze to death.

Also, side panel open doesnt mean anything, if nothing is guiding the air towards the cooler, it wont magically suck it up, maybe it would if the room ambient temperature was like 15C, but i doubt you are gonna freeze to death.
    I have an intake and outtake fan circulating
    Last edited by Daymanmb; 2019-12-24 at 09:21 PM.

I have an intake and outtake fan circulating the cpu
    Still, check in this order-->is the stock cooler actually in place-->Thermal Paste probably dried up-->Even so, all irrelevant, its just the usual tired up Intel cooler that cant handle the heat from the GPU blowing into it i can guess-->Replace with an 30$ one averagely.

And are your fans placed properly? <---| CPU <----| ?

Still, check in this order-->is the stock cooler actually in place-->Thermal Paste probably dried up-->Even so, all irrelevant, its just the usual tired up Intel cooler that cant handle the heat from the GPU blowing into it i can guess.

And are your fans placed properly? <---| CPU <----| ?
    Yes. Also the ventus is blowing down, not up to the cpu. the cpu temps on afterburner have ranged from 43c to 54c with the old card back in.

Well the obvious answer is bad case ventilation. But the solution is to replace the stock cooler. You really shouldn't use stock coolers on K cpu's. Basically the stock cooler worked fine earlier because the GPU you had before wasn't generating as much heat as the 2070 is. Now the heat just gets stuck in the case for a bit too long and stock cooler doesn't have enough juice to keep cpu cool.

- - - Updated - - -

I have an intake and outtake fan circulating
    Just to make sure, you have the front fan blowing air inside and fan in the back blowing air out?

10+ Year Old Account
    Never heard anyone use a stockcooler on an high end CPU. Start with replacing that and things should be better. Besides idle temp being 55-65 ain't good. My OC 7700k to 5ghz is idle at 29, under heavy load I maybe reach 70.
    Also get some more fans in there, never hurts if you got space in the case

Quote Originally Posted by Corroc View Post
    You really shouldn't use stock coolers on K cpu's.
    Its not a k nor is it oc.

Just to make sure, you have the front fan blowing air inside and fan in the back blowing air out?
    I have a fan on the top pulling air in, onto the cpu and a fan in the back pulling it out.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Crillam View Post
    My OC 7700k to 5ghz is idle at 29, under heavy load I maybe reach 70.
    Im around 75 under load with the titan.

Soo.. what case do you have? How big is your room and is there any issues with airflow?

Its not a k nor is it oc.

I have a fan on the top pulling air in, onto the cpu and a fan in the back pulling it out.

- - - Updated - - -

Im around 75 under load with the titan.
    Even with non-K cpu its still cpu with turbo boost which increases the demands on the cooling.
    Your fan setup is a problem. Your setup doesn't have anything to circulate the air out from the bottom of the case, gpu mainly. You didn't have this problem before because you had unusual GPU blowing the air to the CPU which helped to circulate the air out from the case. Right now you have GPU pushing hot air to the bottom of the case and nothing circulating that air out of the case. This will lead the ambient temperature to rise. Normal fan setup is having atleast one fan at the front pushing cool air to the case, this will help to cool the GPU because it pushes cold air to it. Then having one fan either at the top or at the back pushing hot air out.
    You could try changing the top fan direction so you would have two fans pushing air out of the case. But the best solution would still be balanced, fans pushing air inside the case from front and fans at the back or top pushing hot air out.

edit. Was the computer with the Titan build by someone else? Because it kinda makes sense to have fans pushing the air to the from the top with stock cooler and GPU blowing air to it. Knowing the stock cooler would run hot most of the time it looks like solution to try help the cooling.
    Last edited by Corroc; 2019-12-24 at 10:41 PM.

edit. Was the computer with the Titan build by someone else? Because it kinda makes sense to have fans pushing the air to the from the top with stock cooler and GPU blowing air to it. Knowing the stock cooler would run hot most of the time it looks like solution to try help the cooling.
    No, I did it as a way to not have to spend more on cooling. Ill try and take your advice, see if I can mix up the flow.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Heffladin View Post
    Soo.. what case do you have? How big is your room and is there any issues with airflow?
    Crosair ccarbibe 270r. I dont think space or ventilation is the problem. The room is large, it doesnt get very hot.
    Last edited by Daymanmb; 2019-12-25 at 12:14 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Your cpu got higher after a new gpu?
    That is strange, probably this gpu is bad.

10+ Year Old Account
    Buy full tower case. Buy noctua cooler. Apply thermal paste properly. Install few additional fans to your case. Problem solved.

10+ Year Old Account
    There's a reason why Nvidia used to use blower style cooler because at least the heat was exhausted outside of the case, because there's no guarantee the cooling setup of the case is ideal. Ad a tower or top down cooler to the CPU and both the CPU and GPU are basically smelling their own farts.
    Last edited by Vash The Stampede; 2019-12-26 at 01:21 PM.

I can only speak from my experience but about the fan setup, Top pulling air in, i currently run with 2x fans pulling air in at the roof of the case, and 3x fans taking air out of the case at the front (side, Lian li case), CPU is fine and so is the GPU, i have the top 2 fans (140mm) running at 900rpm fixed and the 3 front fans (120mm) at 900-1k rpm

Your temps aren't amazing even with the titan, 75c load non OC cpu but at the same time that is more than fine for what you're doing if you're happy, could you get better temps/perhaps longer life out of the components? Yeah for sure.

I don't see a real reason for the huge temp gain from switching GPUs honestly.

Also "100c under load" what are you doing when you say "under load", gaming, or an actual stress test (which).
    Check "HWinfo64" for cpu temps too, see if they're the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Did you install the CPU Cooler yourself?

If so, did you remove plastic cover before installing it?

I read of people forgetting to do so.

Sure you got your fans positioned facing right ways?

There's arrows to show intake direction, use that for intake and out-take.

I’d say this is your issue right here. Hot air rises. All you’re doing is blowing hot air onto your cpu and around your case. Top fans should always be exhaust to take advantage of physics.

A good CPU cooler will do its job properly without throwing more air onto it like that. Get some intake fans in the front, turn the top fan around to exhaust and get a decent CPU cooler.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lansworthy
    Deathwing will come and go RAWR RAWR IM A DWAGON
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtyCasual View Post
    There's no point in saying this, even if you slap them upside down and inside out with the truth, the tin foil hat brigade will continue to believe the opposite.