Honestly, I don't think it makes much of a difference if you know they are different timelines right away or not. They give plenty of hints and then by the end of episode 4 they practically spell it out for you.

Quote Originally Posted by kail View Post
    Even looks aside, her character just felt very flat for Triss.
    That was the problem for me. I couldn't care less about what color she is - she just didn't come across as fun, likable, or interesting. Fringilla, for example, I have zero qualms about. The actress does a good job, that's all that matters. The fact that she's black and in the book/games the character isn't makes zero difference to me. But with Triss the actress just isn't doing a good job. Her race is irrelevant to that.

...as is her hair color, no matter what some people might be screaming about.
    Last edited by Biomega; 2019-12-25 at 08:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    That was the problem for me. I couldn't care less about what color she is - she just didn't come across as fun, likable, or interesting. Fringilla, for example, I have zero qualms about. The actress does a good job, that's all that matters. The fact that she's black and the character isn't in the book/games makes zero difference. But with Triss the actress just isn't doing a good job. Her race is irrelevant to that.

...as is her hair color, no matter what some people might be screaming about.
    honestly, i have to agree with that. Triss is not much of a character right now. to be fair... i don't think its the fault of the actress... Triss wasn't much of a character in books either, especially early on, so there really wasn't much for the actress to work with. hopefully, writers will give her some more love and expand her personality a bit one way or another, so she'll improve in in season 2 and upwards. She and Yennefer are supposed to be close friends, and at this point, I'm honestly not sure why they would be.

Quote Originally Posted by Dch48 View Post
    Totally agree. The time jumps around way too much. It should be presented in a more linear and coherent fashion.
    It's pretty straight forward, time only moves forward, each character just starts at a different point in time. It goes through each characters backstory, which are all part of different timelines.

There's no future and past jumps, it's all 3 seperate stories moving forward, until the characters meet up (then they're on the same timeline) People severely overstate the impact the time "jumps" have, and those who can't understand are either overthinking it or too slow for show producers to need to work around.

10+ Year Old Account
    Everyone freaking out over Triss who is an irrelevant sideshow slut while Fringilla over here has literally been cast blacker than washington black when in the book/game/whatever she is whiter than sour cream. Now THAT is fucking diversity agenda, god I hate how white guilt has destroyed source material these days. Let's just make everyone black, fuck it. Diversity for everyone! (except white people)

I thought triss seemed upbeat or similarly optimistic as she is in the game, the issue is that she barely got any screen time, her biggest scene with the vines and she didn't say anything. I think she just needs more scenes.

Quote Originally Posted by Lazuli View Post
    Everyone freaking out over Triss who is an irrelevant sideshow slut while Fringilla over here has literally been cast blacker than washington black when in the book/game/whatever she is whiter than sour cream. Now THAT is fucking diversity agenda, god I hate how white guilt has destroyed source material these days. Let's just make everyone black, fuck it. Diversity for everyone! (except white people)
    So how is her being white or black relevant to the story again? Remind me.

I feel like at this point, society is too far gone that they'll get criticism no matter what they do. Cast all white people to stay faithful to the books - "ermagerd this show is racist", throw in some mixed ethnicity among the casting and you upset the people who want them to stay faithful to the books.

Personally I went into this show with low (or average) expectations mostly because I love the franchise and Witcher 3 in specific and I didn't want to get disappointed, but I really loved it honestly. Not every detail was perfect but I think they did a great job and the setup for an even better s2 is there.

That would follow the story. Idk, your argument is bullshit, really. You could say that all the time. "Black, bald Geralt fighting with fists? How that's relevant to the story?" Fuck blackwashing. I've got enough. When's Abraham Lincoln movie that casts a black guy as Linc? Who cares about the history, feelings and diversity are more important than being true to the sources. Also don't forget to call me nazi, because apparently all people that see something wrong with changing white people into black people in book<->movie/series adaptation are nazis.
    All these SJW forcing diversity on everything would probably fucking explode when Malcolm X was played by a white guy. Whitewashing is nazism and racism, blackwashing is diversity!
    Last edited by Radeghost; 2019-12-25 at 12:24 PM.

Anyone who thinks there is no diversity agenda in entertainment is simply out of touch with reality. It is there and sometimes very irritating.
    Desktop ------------------------------- Laptop- Asus ROG Zephyrus G14
    AMD Ryzen 5 5600X CPU ---------------AMD Ryzen 9 6900HS with Radeon 680M graphics
    AMD RX 6600XT GPU -------------------AMD Radeon RX 6800S discrete graphics
    16 GB DDR4-3200 RAM ----------------16 GB DDR5-4800 RAM
    1 TB WD Black SN770 NVMe SSD ------1 TB WD Black SN850 NVMe SSD

Quote Originally Posted by Dch48 View Post
    Anyone who thinks there is no diversity agenda in entertainment is simply out of touch with reality. It is there and sometimes very irritating.
    And more and more people are getting fed up with that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Playing devils advocate, I think it's less about the story more about the feel. Especially if in the books she is described as one thing and looks another in the series. It's familiarity.

I always look at it like this: This is the Netflix version. Triss being who she is in this version doesn't change any other version of media. I am pretty sure if this was an original fantasy series with a mixed racial diversity no one would blink an eye, but because its something people are familiar with, people tend to stick to the source material more.

Netflix's Witcher is on par with Cosplay, when you cosplay it doesn't matter who you are, you can play whoever you want. Wanna be black woman dressed up as Cyclops from the X-Men, you can, its fun, its a sense of freedom and expression of something someone loves. It doesn't affect the source material at all. This is why it doesnt bother me.

Characters ethnicitiy can have a huge impact on the audience's prior internalized perspective on who the character is, before some casting manager ruins that vision for them, obviously the biggest reason you put book/game characters to screen is to mimic their portrayal in the prior medias, not change it.

Quote Originally Posted by OriginalName View Post
    Characters ethnicitiy can have a huge impact on the audience's prior internalized perspective on who the character is, before some casting manager ruins that vision for them, obviously the biggest reason you put book/game characters to screen is to mimic their portrayal in the prior medias, not change it.
    If race has a huge impact on your internal perspective on who a character is, well...

Also, the point of adapting to the screen is NOT to "mimic their portrayal", but (usually) to capture the spirit of the work, which they did perfectly from the way I see things.

I really liked the first season of witcher. It was awesome!

My take on the diversity issue is that they want to reach as much audience as possible (more audience = more $$$$), so they want to include many races in the show.

Quote Originally Posted by Arrowstormen View Post
    If race has a huge impact on your internal perspective on who a character is, well...

Also, the point of adapting to the screen is NOT to "mimic their portrayal", but (usually) to capture the spirit of the work, which they did perfectly from the way I see things.
    Shallow argument, shouldn't following media try to stick as close as it, realistically can to the source material?

It's not about race or ethnicity, it's the same if you give Donatello a machinegun instead of his signature staves, it just begs the question "why"

As in, why not respect the initial vision of the story from the author?
    Last edited by OriginalName; 2019-12-25 at 04:40 PM.

lets make a movie with white actor playing martin luther king and then make the same claim eh ?

its not a rasism to want that characters which have good description in books to be played by actors with similiar traits.

Quote Originally Posted by Radeghost View Post
    And more and more people are getting fed up with that.
    there is a reason why the general trend of 2019 was "go woke go broke" in case of movies in cinemas

how would fringilla have been different if she was white? its a good character in the series and the actress nails it this.

maybe spend less time on the internet with cartoon girls and step outside for once.

Quote Originally Posted by kamuimac View Post
    there is a reason why the general trend of 2019 was "go woke go broke" in case of movies in cinemas
    Diversity has proven to be, if not a recipe to success, a value element on the global market.

Quote Originally Posted by OriginalName View Post
    Shallow argument, shouldn't following media try to stick as close as it, realistically can to the source material?

It's not about race or ethnicity, it's the same if you give Donatello a machinegun instead of his signature staves, it just begs the question "why"

As in, why not respect the initial vision of the story from the author?
    That is indeed a shallow argument you presented. Sticking as close to the source material as realistically possible is superficial and puts emphasis on being "like the source material" in all the wrong ways. In some cases, the ethnicity of a character matters, but that is not the case here. Arguing the race of the characters are a part of the author's "vision" paints the author in a bad light. Because of the Conjunction of the Spheres, it makes little sense that the nations on the Continent are not racially diverse. I think it is in this case much more likely to be a matter of omission rather than intent/vision.
    Last edited by Arrowstormen; 2019-12-25 at 06:18 PM.