Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Volitar View Post
    It's space Romeo and Juliet..

you can't really say its trash but its just kind of Romeo and Juliet with super HD Imaxx and blue skin..
    Literally everything about it is predictable and unoriginal. You know what is going to happen throughout the entire movie when you're only 20 minutes in. You know that Sgt Badass is the real bad guy. You know the supposed savage blue people are going to be friendly. You know the main character is going to fight against Sgt Badass and so on and so on.

If your movie is predictable, it probably isn't challenging at all.

If your movie is unoriginal, well, even if they were making a 1:1 copy of an existing great movie like A New Hope for instance, no one cares, because we've already seen it.. which is why The Force Awakens sucks.

The movie has one thing going for it - graphics, and those graphics by todays standards look pretty terrible, as most things made in 2009 do in 2019. Which points out the major flaw with making something that tries to look 'realistic' while technology moves at light speed past you - your 'realistic' movie ends up looking terrible and is unwatchable after 5-10 years.

A classic example of this would be the original Jurassic Park, which manages to have its dinosaurs look more realistic today, in 2019, than the Jurassic World dinosaurs do which were only made a year or so ago.

Again, the movies story is unoriginal and predictable. The movies music is forgettable. You probably can't even hear a single song from the movie if you tried to remember one right now. Compare this to something like Bane's theme from the Dark Knight rises. The movies cinematography is nothing special or note worthy - you probably can't even remember a single iconic shot from the movie. Compare this with something like Bladerunner 2049, which is filled with such shots.

All the movie has is CGI. Thats it. It was good at the time, but within a few years it was meh. This movie is the most over-rated movie of all time. It is a fantastic example of marketing and word of mouth propping up this goliath film, with everyone convincing each other what they saw was in fact good, just so they don't appear to be the odd one out.

Good graphics especially these days, are the participation medal. If your movie has a budget of a 100 mil and your movie doesn't look gorgeous, you've royally fucked up. Every big movie looks gorgeous now a days. All of the new Star Wars films look gorgeous for instance, despite being trash. James Cameron won't be able to just coast by on 'lol look at my pixels' in Avatar 2, thank fuck.

Least we won't have to listen to morons bleat about how fantastic a movie was just because it had nice pixels. Shit, if you think that, go watch Bladerunner 2049. Your mind will be blown.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jinpachi View Post
    Only reason it made so much money is the ticket prices were so much higher because it was in 3d. Nobody gives a shit about 3d or avatar anymore. He even admits he needs a re-release to remind people it even exists. I wont even pirate this shit
    The only thing more forgettable than Avatar despite it being so popular, i think, is perhaps the High School Musical franchise. The two franchises just vanished off of the face of the planet. No one remembers them, no one thinks about them, no one references them, it just never happens. Its the weirdest thing. We still reference things from 50s and 60s TV, yet no one references or even thinks about the second highest grossing movie of all time.

That, to me, is just a giant red flag on the movie as a whole and highlights what i said in a previous post - that the movie is an amazing example of what happens when everyone, including your friends and family, talk each other into seeing it because "they heard it was the best movie ever!!!11"

I remember reading an article shortly after it was released, that some people were ceasing to enjoy life because they would never live in a world as beautiful as the one in Avatar. Its just crazy to me how big that shit got, that psychotic people were fawning over it and now its remembered alongside what your neighbours dog had for breakfast 4 days ago - which is to say, not at all.

10+ Year Old Account
    the last movie he was involved into is a big pile of sh8t, so doubt it (the karenminator, because from its box office seems many missed or hopefully ignored it)
    The beginning of wisdom is the statement 'I do not know.' The person who cannot make that statement is one who will never learn anything. And I have prided myself on my ability to learn
    Thrall
    http://youtu.be/x3ejO7Nssj8 7:20+ "Alliance remaining super power", clearly blizz favor horde too much, that they made alliance the super power

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mihalik View Post
    No. But he wrote it and produced it. Producers have more creative control than you think. Especially if they wrote the movie. Which he did.

The problem of Dark Fate wasn't the direction, but the script itself, which was fucking horrible and no sensible studio would have ever greenlight or funded that shit if Cameron's name wasn't attached to it in the first place.

And Dark Fate was a fiasco, critically and most importantly financially. It was a big enough failure for Paramount and Skydance to pull all further funding for the franchise.

Cameron hasn't directed a major production in 10 years and the only other successful project his name has been attached to since 2009 was Alita which while successful wasn't quite a major blockbuster.

If Cameron bombs with Avatar 2, he will have seriously boxed himself in a corner, and will have problems getting anything funded for a while.
    Lol

Fyi James Cameron movies he directed have never, ever, flopped.

As for producer, writer, that's like saying he decides what car he borrows to someone makes him a bad driver... There's a big difference between producer n director...

So, he's hit n miss as writer/producer, who cares, nobody is good at everything.
    I don't know anyone who goes to a movie based on producer, that's a bit weird...

JC is 100% successful as a director, not only that, he continously pushed technology forward. Can't say the same about Marvel...Endgame wasn't a step forward..

But in many ways JC & Marvel are very similar to each other, story so-so, ok to bad (endgame has shit story). But both have very high production quality that brings in the moviegoers, that makes up for a bad story. Though Marvel stuff isn't revolutionary...Marvel fans would have loved to have JC as a director for Marvel, but cuz he doesn't got Marvel logo they gotta spew nonsense like a tabloid...

Avatar 2 was meant to come out in 2020, but purchase by Disney they pushed movie back a year so it wouldn't compete with other disney's movies next xmas..
    JC has long maintained that he wouldn't do Avatar sequels until there came a new technology forward, we will see new stuff that will blow our minds in Avatar 2 n it will make billions fer sure.

You would have had a point if we were talking about ridley scott, he has many hits n misses, JC consistency has only had hits.

1984–1992: Breakthrough Edit
    Inspired by John Carpenter's Halloween (1978) and other science fiction work, Cameron wrote the script for The Terminator (1984) in 1982, which is a thriller about cyborg sent from the future to carry out a lethal mission. Cameron wanted to sell the script so that he could direct the movie. Whilst some film studios expressed interested in the project, many executives were unwilling to let a new and unfamiliar director make the movie. Gale Anne Hurd, a colleague and founder of Pacific Western Productions, to whom Cameron was married from 1984 to 1989, agreed to buy Cameron's screenplay for one dollar, on the condition that Cameron direct the film. Eventually, he convinced the president of Hemdale Pictures to make the film, with Cameron as director and Hurd as a producer. Lance Henriksen, who had starred in Piranha II: The Spawning, was considered for the lead role, but Cameron decided that Arnold Schwarzenegger was more suitable as the cyborg villain due to his bodybuilder appearance. Henriksen was given a smaller role instead. Michael Biehn and Cameron's future wife, Linda Hamilton, also joined the cast. The Terminator was a box office success, exceeding expectations set by Orion Pictures, who thought that the film would be short-lived in theaters.[11] The movie proved popular with audiences and earned over $78 million worldwide, from a budget of $6.5 million.[22] In 2008, the film was selected for preservation in the United States National Film Registry, being deemed "culturally, historically, or aesthetically significant".[23]

In 1984, Cameron co-wrote the screenplay to Rambo: First Blood Part II with Sylvester Stallone.[24] Soon, Cameron moved onto his next directorial feature, which was the sequel to Alien (1979), a science fiction horror by Ridley Scott. After titling the sequel Aliens (1986), Cameron recast Sigourney Weaver as Ellen Ripley, who first appeared in Alien. Aliens follows the protagonist, Ripley, as she helps a group of marines fight off extraterrestrials. Despite conflicts with cast and crew during production, and having to replace one of the lead actors—James Remar with Michael Biehn—Aliens was a box office success, generating over $130 million worldwide.[25] The film was nominated for seven Academy Awards in 1987; Best Actress, Best Art Direction, Best Film Editing, Best Original Score and Best Sound. It won awards for Best Sound Editing and Best Visual Effects. In addition, the film including Weaver made the cover of TIME magazine in July 1986.[26]

Cameron with Gale Ann Hurd, 1986
    After Aliens, Cameron and Gale Anne Hurd decided to make The Abyss, a story of oil-rig workers who discover strange intelligent life in the ocean. Based on an idea which Cameron had conceived of during high school, the film was initially budgeted at $41 million, although it ran considerably over this amount. It starred Ed Harris, Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio and Michael Biehn. The production process began in the Cayman Islands and then at South Carolina, inside the building of an unfinished nuclear power plant with two huge tanks.[27] The cast and crew recall Cameron's tough demands and filming the underwater scenes which were physically exhausting for everyone.[28] Upon the film's release, The Abyss was praised for its special effects, and earned $90 million at the worldwide box office.[29] The Abyss received four Academy Award nominations and won Best Visual Effects.

In 1990, Cameron co-founded the firm Lightstorm Entertainment with partner Lawrence Kasanoff. In 1991, Cameron served as executive producer for Point Break (1991), directed by former wife Kathryn Bigelow. After the success of The Terminator, there were discussions for a sequel. In the late 1980s, Mario Kassar of Carolco Pictures secured the rights to the sequel, allowing Cameron to begin production of the film, titled Terminator 2: Judgment Day (1991). Written by Cameron and William Wisher Jr., lead actors Schwarzenegger and Linda Hamilton reprised their earlier roles. The story follows on from the first Terminator film, depicting a new villain (T-1000), possessing shape-shifting ability and hunts for Sarah Connor's son. Cameron cast Robert Patrick as T-1000 because of his lean and thin appearance—a sharp contrast to Schwarzenegger. Cameron explained, "I wanted someone who was extremely fast and agile. If the T-800 is a human Panzer tank, then the T-1000 is a Porsche."[30] Like its predecessor, Terminator 2 was one of the most expensive films to be produced, costing at least $94 million.[31] Despite the challenging use of computer-generated imagery, the film was completed on time and released on July 3, 1991. Terminator 2: Judgment Day broke box office records (including the opening weekend record for an R-rated film), earning over $200 million in the North America and being the first to earn over $300 million worldwide.[32] It won four Academy Awards: Best Makeup, Best Sound Mixing, Best Sound Effects Editing, and Best Visual Effects. It also received nominations for Best Cinematography and Best Film Editing, but lost both to political thriller JFK.

1993–2001: Titanic success Edit
    In subsequent years, Cameron planned to do a third Terminator film but plans never materialized. The rights to the Terminator franchise were eventually purchased by Kassar from a bankruptcy sale of Carolco's assets.[33] He moved onto other projects and in 1993, Cameron co-founded Digital Domain, a visual effects production company. In 1994, Cameron and Schwarzenegger reunited for their third collaboration, titled True Lies (1994), a remake of the 1991 French comedy La Totale! The story depicts an American secret agent who leads a double life as a married man, whose wife believes he is a computer salesman. The film co-stars Jamie Lee Curtis, Eliza Dushku and Tom Arnold. Cameron's Lightstorm Entertainment signed a deal with 20th Century Fox for the production of True Lies. Budgeted at a minimum of $100 million, the film earned $146 million in North America, and $232 million worldwide.[34][35] The film was nominated for an Academy Award for Best Visual Effects. Curtis won a Golden Globe Award for Best Actress in a Comedy or Musical. In 1995, Cameron co-produced Strange Days (1995), a science fiction thriller. The film was directed by Kathryn Bigelow and co-written by Jay Cocks.[36] Strange Days was critically and financially unsuccessful. In 1996, Cameron reunited with the cast of Terminator 2 to film T2 3-D: Battle Across Time, an attraction at Universal Studios Florida[37] and at other parks around the world.

His next major project was Titanic (1997), an epic film about RMS Titanic which sank in 1912 after striking an iceberg. With a production budget of $200 million, Titanic is one of the most expensive films ever made. The production was troubled for being over-budget and exceeding its filming schedule, which made headlines before the film's release.[38][39] Starting in 1995, Cameron took several dives to the bottom of the Atlantic Ocean to capture footage of the wreck, which would later be used in the film.[40] A replica of the ship was built in Rosarito Beach and principal photography began in September 1996. His completed screenplay depicts two star-crossed lovers, portrayed by Leonardo DiCaprio and Kate Winslet, from different social classes who fall in love amid the backdrop of the tragedy—a sharp turn from Cameron's previous films. The supporting cast included Billy Zane, Kathy Bates, Frances Fisher, Gloria Stuart, Bernard Hill, Jonathan Hyde, Victor Garber, Danny Nucci, David Warner and Bill Paxton.

Cameron promoting Avatar during the 2009 San Diego Comic-Con
    After months of delay, Titanic premiered on December 19, 1997. Titanic received strong critical acclaim and became the highest-grossing film of all time worldwide in 1998, and held this position for twelve years until Cameron's Avatar (2009) beat the record in 2010.
    Last edited by Ihavewaffles; 2019-12-26 at 11:35 AM.

If it’s as good as the first I’m sure it will. The comic book movies are bland and boring at this point. Hollywood needs to move on from them. I didn’t even watch Endgame or half the other comic book movies. There’s so many at this point.

Avatar? Was a shit movie , pocahontas ripoff . The only reason people went to see the movie was because of 3D... this and the sequels will flop hard

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormcall View Post
    So just to be clear, he's bragging that he's going to win by rereleasing the movie for it's 10th anniversary and getting a second chance to make money in theaters? Very good James. Maybe Endgame can rerelease 10 years from now too and you can see if your dick still measures up.
    Uhm, re-releasing Avatar makes sense cuz of time between 1st n 2nd movie, to rekindle interest, this got nothing to do with endgame.

There's no follow-up to endgame, thanos is gone, he's now a human, part of deadpool's crew..so no reason to re-release endgame + the interest in 10 years would have died down, a lot, n far less people will understand the endgame hype cuz timetravel n rat-on-button is on par with rise of skywalker bad story..

I'd understand that there would be -some- interest in 10 year re-release of infinity war, but endgame? That movie rode the wave of infinity war...

Why are we arguing which room will make house of evil mouse richer? Avatar n Marvel are under same roof now...

Movie audience relation to hollywood should be only this way, carrot n stick. Never go see a movie more times than u wanted to, don't go see extra times to feed the mouse, never ever send out message to the men in suits that they can take ur fandom for granted, just cuz u like marvel doesn't mean u should overfeed that horse, it'll become fat n performance will take a hit...
    Marvel will end up where star wars is one day if the suits only expect carrots n forget there's such a thing as a stick, greedy people think in terms of short-term gain...

Giving someone lots of cash can be a negative, look at blizzard...they used to be a tight crew of heavy metal n pc game nerds that gave us one quality product after another, then they ended up with a huge pile of cash due to WoW, needed to hire lots of people, ended up with lots sjw californians, men in suits n then activision...

Success is dangerous, it has ruined many brands.
    Last edited by Ihavewaffles; 2019-12-26 at 12:42 PM.

The guy definitely sounds smug, for sure. However, considering he's on over a 35-year streak without making a critical or financial dud (Maybe you could count True Lies as that wasn't considered a very good movie at the time), he's kind of got a right to be...

Quote Originally Posted by valax View Post
    Avatar? Was a shit movie , pocahontas ripoff . The only reason people went to see the movie was because of 3D... this and the sequels will flop hard
    Was told I had to see it. That I would miss out on something amazing if I didn't see it in the theaters. It was an awfully boring move that looked spectacular. I could have saved my $9.50 and been better off not seeing it IMO. Not saying that because I liked Endgame more. Thought most of that was bad as well.

Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    You are only a minority here among the cool and judgemental ppl on this forum.

And yet..if you need to call this movie a ripoff while it still transformed a basic idea to a new setting...hell..have fun ever watching a movie. If I apply this kind of logic, then why did The Force awakens make 2 billion dollars? Is that ok, because they rip off their won franchise? Hell...I buy Titanic ripping off similar movies a lot more. Or..hell...you have a problem with Avatar being something something Dances with wolves / Pocahontas...but Disney remaking Aladdin and Jungle book in CGI? But that is ok, because it remakes their own 2D Classics? Which already are a rip off of existing folklore or classic books?

Don't even give me Lion King CGI remake of Lion King 2D being a Kimba the white Lion ripoff...I mean..Disney ripping off a Japanese limited animation TV series making gazillion dollars and nobody cares?

Yeah, it is Avatar you want to stick it to....
    Holy shit, this post is a treasure trove of the art of shilling. One can't even criticize a movie a bit like @Puupi did, just one aspect of it even, despite them absolutely loving that movie without you acting as if they insulted your great ancestors and going on a rant that's all over the place. Apparently one can only love films completely uncritically without it being sinful and undeserving of scorn.

Sorry to break it to you, but simply swapping out the setting doesn't make the story as a whole new new if everything else from theme through character arcs to core moments being a rehash of an existing story.

And what the hell does the money aspect have to do with anything here? Did The Force Awakens earn all that money because of its story? Hell no. The story being a nostalgia-driven cash grab has been one of the main points of the criticism that movie got. So what if it earned that money because it's, you know, Star Wars?

Also, what's with all that projectile straw-men in your post? When did @Puupi say they find Aladdin and Jungle Book remakes being OK? Let alone them being OK because it's Disney remaking their own movies?

Speaking of which, if your argument for why Avatar's story isn't unoriginal is "look at these here remakes", then sorry to break it to you again, but you don't actually have one. Just because there exist movies that redo the same exact story doesn't mean everything else automatically becomes original by default. So let's throw false dichotomy to the list of your fallacies. Because this isn't something that's as binary as you want to pretend. Avatar can still be unoriginal despite remakes being even more so.

And how did you learn about Lion King rehashing the story of Kimba the White Lion if nobody cared about it? Oh, right, because people did care about it and pointed that out as a result. Despite the movie being Asian and receiving very little coverage in the west. While a situation where two western movies share the same story is going to get much more awareness there for reasons that should have been obvious to everyone.

But you left the best for last. That last sentence is the cherry on top of your shill-cake. Gee, I wonder why it's Avatar that @Puupi wanted to "stick it to" in regards of unoriginal stories? Could it have something to do with, I dunno, Avatar being the topic of this particular thread? Unlike all the other movies you used to deflect? Context, how does it work...

Quote Originally Posted by Queen of Hamsters View Post
    The difference being that Avatar had a movie over 10 years ago, whilst Avengers Endgame was built up with tons of movies featuring the characters.

It might top Endgame in box office, sure, but will it top Endgame as the climax to a decade's worth of build-up? Fuck.No.
    I just love your posts. Always going on how people are contrarian and whatnot because they dare to dislike something that's being popular only for you to act contrarian in the scope of the given thread and defend the shit out of the thing being criticized just for the sake of it.

Even when it results in a thread like this, where you're defending Avatar because it's being criticized, but then you realize Endgame is criticized in a comparison to Avatar too so it's time to defend Endgame instead by throwing Avatar under the bus. Hey, maybe people won't notice it!

And to get ahead of your predictably boring reply, I don't mind either movie (despite finding both to be flawed in certain ways, especially in regards to their stories).

Lol, "crutch".

If it's a Universe with multiple movies and characters building it up, it'd be pretty fucking retarded to NOT have all those movies tie the Universe together and build for the climax. Each movie is however judged on its own merit, as you'll see from critics and viewers alike. Ooopsie!
    You judged it by its own merits so much that it being a climax to MCU so far is the reason you had to use as a gotcha against Avatar.

People similarly will believe themselves to be factual beings when it comes to what constitutes good/bad writing (rather than admitting to it being subjective based on what they enjoy and not), just to try and feel superior to people feeling differently about X medium. You are very much doing just that, which means I won't and can't entertain you beyond this point.
    Obviously that doesn't apply to you, vide your numerous posts and signatures mocking people for thinking that BfA is inferior even to WoD (among many other examples) and using them as examples of how people daring to criticize BfA (and WoW as a whole) are unreasonable, that nothing would ever satisfy and so on. Because WoD is totally objectively worse than BfA and you know it. Because unlike other people who only fool themselves into thinking to be factual beings you totally are.

Also, I checked why @Highelf got banned out of curiosity and it led me to this pearl by accident:
    Or on second thought, don't elaborate, because it's clear you were just miffed by someone not gulping down your media of choice and made a cheap attempt at retaliation in place of an actual argument. Also, derailing the thread.
    It's just beautiful in context of both of your posts above. And the one below as well!

Sure are a lot of you out being triggered as fuck by this. Facts are facts whether you like them or not. Your assumptions are childish at best to boot, which reminds me of why I had you on ignore. Thanks!
    Queen of Hamsters in reply to @Ihavewaffles: People similarly will believe themselves to be factual beings when it comes to what constitutes good/bad writing (rather than admitting to it being subjective based on what they enjoy and not), just to try and feel superior to people feeling differently about X medium.

Queen of Hamsters in reply to @Doctor Funkenstein: Facts are facts whether you like them or not. When the "facts in question" is her earlier statement that "There's a before Avatar, and after Avatar, in terms of CGI." as if there was some authority body on the issue that decreed it to be so.

Then again I already pointed out how you don't apply the former statement to yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Ihavewaffles View Post
    No, they aren't judged on their own merit, time-traveling into other movies scenes, needing a rat to step on a button should have earned movie less views, people came for the logo Marvel, too many in denial that endgame is so much worse than infinity war.
    Which is particularly weird given how Endgame went as far as making Thanos. As illogical his plan in Infinity War was, Endgame reduced him to a bland I WILL DESTROY EVERYTHING villain.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    Does the CIA pay you for your bullshit or are you just bootlicking in your free time?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    I'm quite tired of people who dislike something/disagree with something while attacking/insulting anyone that disagrees. Its as if at some point, people forgot how opinions work.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    It usually takes a few years before people start shitting on a blockbuster that they originally loved and thought was the greatest ever.
    Endgame seems off to an early start.
    Because Endgame was anything but a great movie. Why did Infinity War receive near universal praise? Because it's a great film. It's the MCU's Empire Strikes back in its flawless story-telling and tight pace. Endgame is like Return of the Jedi, but with time travel instead of Ewoks.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaktar View Post
    What breathtaking arrogance. It will be a true testament to the man's genius as a salesman and creator if he makes the sequels succesful, and frankly will be impressive if these films are profitable at all. No one is eagerly awaiting their next visit to blandland. You have to wonder what will happen to the man's internal life if Avatar 2 bombs.
    I get hating on the dude for being arrogant, but I assume you realize how wrong this statement is. Avatar 2 will most definitely be profitable, and even if it won't make the top 10 movies of all time, that's hardly the minimum for a movie to be successful.

Let's not forget that while Avatar had the benefit of being the movie to start the 3D craze, it was also a standalone movie. Endgame on the other hand was the finale of a 20+ long movie series that's never been done before in history, and even then it barely beat Avatar. Let's not be fucking delusional here - even Avatar 15 will be profitable.

Quote Originally Posted by Beefhammer View Post
    Was told I had to see it. That I would miss out on something amazing if I didn't see it in the theaters. It was an awfully boring move that looked spectacular. I could have saved my $9.50 and been better off not seeing it IMO. Not saying that because I liked Endgame more. Thought most of that was bad as well.
    This as another point to my argument - Endgame was definitely not the strongest movie in the MCU, it became #1 because it was a "has to be seen"-movie. Avatar 2 will be as well, if Cameron plays his cards right (and you'd be stupid as hell to believe he won't).
    Last edited by Segus1992; 2019-12-26 at 03:31 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Segus1992 View Post
    I get hating on the dude for being arrogant, but I assume you realize how wrong this statement is. Avatar 2 will most definitely be profitable, and even if it won't make the top 10 movies of all time, that's hardly the minimum for a movie to be successful.

Let's not forget that while Avatar had the benefit of being the movie to start the 3D craze, it was also a standalone movie. Endgame on the other hand was the finale of a 20+ long movie series that's never been done before in history, and even then it barely beat Avatar. Let's not be fucking delusional here - even Avatar 15 will be profitable.

This as another point to my argument - Endgame was definitely not the strongest movie in the MCU, it became #1 because it was a "has to be seen"-movie. Avatar 2 will be as well, if Cameron plays his cards right (and you'd be stupid as hell to believe he won't).
    3D craze is dead and there's no sign of him using his own 3D cameras or improving on them. Said camera has been discontinued and most films now use a low quality one or post-conversion. Let's not underestimate how much that technology carried the film.

Yeah but for me Avatar 2 won't be a has to be seen movie. I found the world and the characters uninteresting. Not going to see a movie just because of the tech involved and that it may look cool. It may be a great movie, but the first one left a bad taste in my mouth that I have no plans to go back.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    ill never understand the appeal of avatar, I thought it was terrible lol

Quote Originally Posted by Polybius View Post
    3D craze is dead and there's no sign of him using his own 3D cameras or improving on them. Said camera has been discontinued and most films now use a low quality one or post-conversion. Let's not underestimate how much that technology carried the film.
    Let's not overestimate it either, and let's not underestimate how much the fact that Avatar 1 was so massively successful will carry at least one sequel.

Quote Originally Posted by Beefhammer View Post
    Yeah but for me Avatar 2 won't be a has to be seen movie. I found the world and the characters uninteresting. Not going to see a movie just because of the tech involved and that it may look cool. It may be a great movie, but the first one left a bad taste in my mouth that I have no plans to go back.
    You should be able to be intelligent enough to realise that while you might not jump at the opportunity, many others will. The fact that Avatar 1 was so successful, regardless of reason, will alone be something that'll entice many.

Let's not overestimate it either, and let's not underestimate how much the fact that Avatar 1 was so massively successful will carry at least one sequel.

You should be able to be intelligent enough to realise that while you might not jump at the opportunity, many others will. The fact that Avatar 1 was so successful, regardless of reason, will alone be something that'll entice many.
    I understand, hence the for me qualifier.

Quote Originally Posted by Ihavewaffles View Post
    sip
    Whoa the FANBOI is strong with you.

Who cares if someone isn't a good writer/producer? People who put up anywhere between 150 to 400 million dollars per movie based on your script as a writer and your ability as a producer to get the project funded and delivered.

Currently the person most pushing technology both in the area of CGI and practical effects is Jon Favreau and his production company Golem Creations, funded by Disney. The whole of The Mandalorian was actually filmed on a set in studio and everything you see is a blend of CGI and practical effects. The entire show is basically a technology testbed for Disney which will push the technologies developed there into their future productions.

Look, I'm not saying Cameron isn't a good director (he will always have a special place in cinema for me for Terminator 1&2 and Aliens) or that he doesn't have the potential to make something great, I'm just pointing out that he isn't the fucking second coming of Jesus Christ, and he did actually fuck up pretty bad recently and has been having quite a hiatus from directing, and he has also been struggling to get his Avatar saga projects funded.

Considering he is WRITING, PRODUCING and directing the Avatar movies, it's unsurprising he went on a PR offensive to try and get people distracted from the state of his project (delayed and struggling with funding), his failures as a writer and producer and his absence from major projects the past decade.

And none of this changes the fact that Avatar was in fact a pretty mediocre scifi in every area bar the visual technology experience. It was pretty fucking poorly written and had significantly worse character development than most mediocre Marvel COMIC BOOK MOVIES (which are, again, COMIC BOOK MOVIES that were still better written!).

5+ Year Old Account
    I don't think taking a break to develop 4 avatar movies means he's in trouble, we could have gotten avatar 2, years ago, but that would have meant we wouldn't get anything new to set a new bar. With the wave of the 1st movie, that would have been easy to do, but to what purpose? Was it a mistake for it take so long between Terminator 1 n 2? T2 would have ended being subpar to what we got...

Jc is the first human, to solo the mariana trench, developed new cameras for deep sea diving, he doesn't do stuff half-assed when he's in the driver's seat.
    He'll take ur ugly evergreen n make the best xmas tree u have ever seen...

He goes the extra mile, so I don't doubt avatar 2 will be a success.

You seem to be so hung up on him being producer..

Look at the crap we got with star wars n kathleen kennedy, did she just become bad? Or does producer matter not as much as you think?
    Cuz there's tons of movies people worship with her name on it as producer.

ET, Jurassic Park, Indiana Jones, Ghostbusters, Back to the Future, Goonies, Gremlins, etc

Kathleen kennedy being bad as producer would have been unimportant had there been writers n directors willing to take on a huge project that a star wars trilogy meant, too time-consuming...jar jar abrams n rian johnson were far far from first choices, they were the only ones left, director after director said no to put their own projects on hold to adopt g.lucas giant baby...one after another they walked away. I don't think ep 7-9 would have been good even without her, Disney rushed trilogy instead of taking their time.

Did the mandalorian revert kathleen kennedy to being good?

Disney paid billions for star wars, nobody realistically cough up so much dough n is patient to wait for the money to take their time to return...Trilogy was destined for fail, directors avoided the bad conditions like the plague..

I don't think rushing avatar sequel would have been a good idea..

Anyways, I'm getting off-topic..I think u should drop this producer = bad movie conspiracy theory..
    Last edited by Ihavewaffles; 2019-12-26 at 06:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ahovv View Post
    Wait, are we suddenly counting what the critics say? If so, The Last Jedi was an amazing film. Not gonna even argue with someone who points to critic reviews as if they count for anything.
    Alright, then explain to me why the movie did so bad commercially then?

Just because you liked the manga doesn't mean the movie was just as good.

I don't hate the guy at all, this is super entertaining. I would bet on success muuuuuuuch more based on Cameron's record than on any abiding love people have for that sodium-free saltine of a film.

It's really interesting that you think the franchise can carry 15 films, is that based on the MCU? Typically as franchises go their audience shrinks, the few exceptions are remarkable for going the other way. If 2 outdoes 1, my guess is that it will be due to inflation, and the most likely outcome is that it will be profitable, but not as successful. After that the franchise will probably wane.