Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Because of Trump.

I am Murloc!
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Freighter View Post
    That's because Norway is in the visa waiver program, which means if you're only going to stay at a max of 90 days for tourism or business you don't need a visa.

Are the countries included in it.
    to shorten the list: everything EFTA and 24/28 EU members + 3 associate ministates (San Marino is within Italy, Monaco borders France, Andorra between Spain and France) and Chile, Japan, South Korea, Taiwan, AUS+NZ
    you better be from europe: 31 out of those 37.

Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    Then, don't pander to xenophobes, it gets in the way of capitalism. IF they want to hate foreigners and brown people, fine. Just don't let them try and legislate their bigotry.

As for our instigation into battles, the problem is that we started most of this bullshit. The United States government has a sordid history of destabilizing regions to further our geopolitical power. We are the world's foremost supporter of terrorism, and have been for decades. I know we like to paint other nations as the bad guys, but we really should take some responsibility for our actions. I would love to close most bases, both overseas, and in this country. Slash the defense budget, and stop pushing trade wars, and actually support free trade. When it comes to dealing with bad actors, I'd prefer political assassinations of genocidal tyrants over pandering to them.

Remember, you voted for Trump, so you voted for all of that nonsense.
    It's not pandering to xenophobes, if most of the country is xenophobes. You go to any random person and they will tell you straight up that they have no issues with a single mexican, black, muslim asian, russia, ect family moving into their neighborhood. But, they will definitely have a problem if a ton of families of the same kind move in. That is just human nature, it's not racism. We cluster with our own cultures, which in this country has all sorts of races. People view large amounts of people from other countries as a threat to that culture. We have come a long way since Jim Crow and enforced segregation in this country. The only actual racism I've ever experienced in my life is from my grandfather. And that is just him trying to act tough, not treating an actual person in a bad way. I've seen him talk to black people, he treats them just like he would any other person. And to be fair he's calmed down saying the N word and such a lot over the years. I think a lot of our racism issues in this country will disappear as older generations die off.

Dude, I see a country like Canada who is a small player on the world stage and I absolutely envy them. I really wish America would follow the example and pull inward. We have a lot of problems at home we need to take care. The rest of the world can look after itself for a few decades.
    Quote Originally Posted by blobbydan View Post
    We're all doomed. Let these retards shuffle the chairs on the titanic. They can die in a safe space if they want to... Whatever. What a miserable joke this life is. I can't wait until it's all finally over and I can return to the sweet oblivion of the void.

Quote Originally Posted by Fincayra View Post
    It's not pandering to xenophobes, if most of the country is xenophobes. You go to any random person and they will tell you straight up that they have no issues with a single mexican, black, muslim asian, russia, ect family moving into their neighborhood. But, they will definitely have a problem if a ton of families of the same kind move in. That is just human nature, it's not racism. We cluster with our own cultures, which in this country has all sorts of races. People view large amounts of people from other countries as a threat to that culture. We have come a long way since Jim Crow and enforced segregation in this country. The only actual racism I've ever experienced in my life is from my grandfather. And that is just him trying to act tough, not treating an actual person in a bad way. I've seen him talk to black people, he treats them just like he would any other person. And to be fair he's calmed down saying the N word and such a lot over the years. I think a lot of our racism issues in this country will disappear as older generations die off.

Dude, I see a country like Canada who is a small player on the world stage and I absolutely envy them. I really wish America would follow the example and pull inward. We have a lot of problems at home we need to take care. The rest of the world can look after itself for a few decades.
    That is literally pandering to xenophobes. You are pointing to the epitome of xenophobia, and trying to justify it. The racism and xenophobia really isn't going to go away, so long as you pander to them, and vote for them. Trying to say that racists are nice to people's faces isn't much of a defense, if they are still racist and xenophobic in their actions and beliefs. You have admitted to voting for Trump, who happens to be both of those things. So, don't say it's going away, because things like Muslim bans, walls, and hiring white nationalists to head up immigration policy say you are full of shit. I don't give a shit if your grandfather was nice to a black man, I give a shit that he's voting his racist beliefs.

You voted for all of that.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dwarfhamster View Post
    *facepalm* she isn’t coming to stay—she’s visiting her sister
    and what's the most frequent form of illegal immigration? Overstaying one's visa.
    O Flora, of the moon, of the dream. O Little ones, O fleeting will of the ancients. Let the hunter be safe. Let them find comfort. And let this dream, their captor, Foretell a pleasant awakening

Quote Originally Posted by kasuke06 View Post
    and what's the most frequent form of illegal immigration? Overstaying one's visa.
    This.

The reason why they are denying visas is because they believe the applicant will not return to their home country.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kasuke06
    Something that DHS itself has noted is very rare, see the pages I already linked.

Quote Originally Posted by Greyvax
    The reason why they are denying visas is because they believe the applicant will not return to their home country.
    Nope. Straight from the 2018 report linked previously:

In other words, 98.78 percent of the in-scope nonimmigrant entries departed the United States on time and in accordance with the terms of their admission.
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

Quote Originally Posted by i9erek View Post
    Because we let too many in illegally we can't afford to let anyone in legally.
    The markets would say otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by bungeebungee View Post
    In other words, 98.78 percent of the in-scope nonimmigrant entries departed the United States on time and in accordance with the terms of their admission.:
    Hehe yeah.
    Imagine if you have 100 million visitors per year . That means more than 1 million people per year did not leave.
    (not actual numbers)
    That's what makes it the biggest source of illegal immigration. The other 1.22%
    Last edited by d00mGuArD; 2019-12-26 at 11:12 PM.
    and the geek shall inherit the earth

Quote Originally Posted by Milchshake View Post
    Hello fellow "EU Citizen"! Are you sure you know how EU citizenship works?
    The EU simply grants it status to citizens of all member states. You never go to the EU embassy for papers, you go to the embassy of your home country, for your passport etc.
    Restrictions on dual citizenship are not an EU thing. The EU simply defers to whether your home country allows for dual citizenship.

If you are really confused, consult with your local Embassy or Consulate.

Then again, there are people here that posture as European as a weird form of shitposting.

P.S. WA does not allow non-citizens to vote in any elections. SO be careful. Unless you're posturing your condo-board elections as "local elections".
    Every Embassy of an EU state is, in essence, an EU embassy. Someone with Irish passport can get help from any EU national embassy or consulate if the Irish one is not available. Plus why narrow down where and how you can work when it comes to locations. Although US allowed dual citizenship, they do kind of try to keep it hush at best, lie to others at worse about it. Also being in Seattle, it seems the only election he can't do is likely presidential which where he is pretty much is already decided once the democrat nomination is secured.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by d00mGuArD
    That's what makes it the biggest source of illegal immigration. The other 1.22%
    /Shrug Meanwhile the other 98.78% came, stayed, spent money, brought skills, and left according to the applicable laws. Using 1.22% as an excuse to constrict visa approvals -- particularly without a clear policy in place (because otherwise someone in this thread could have answered the OP directly) -- is xenophobic bullshit on the lines of what Japan and China did back in the day.

People screw up when they drive, but we generally see the benefits of car ownership as outweighing that. We have a gun control thread that is well on its way to surpassing a novel in length, but quite a few people in that thread see the Second Amendment as crucial enough to accept the risks of murder and suicide. Laws are a trade off, not a magic wand.

America has benefited immensely from immigration across its history.
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kallisto View Post
    Every Embassy of an EU state is, in essence, an EU embassy. Someone with Irish passport can get help from any EU national embassy or consulate if the Irish one is not available. Plus why narrow down where and how you can work when it comes to locations. Although US allowed dual citizenship, they do kind of try to keep it hush at best, lie to others at worse about it. Also being in Seattle, it seems the only election he can't do is likely presidential which where he is pretty much is already decided once the democrat nomination is secured.
    Um no. This is all vaugish hogwash.

Sure you can pick and choose what to vote for on your ballot, whether Seattle or Sequim. But the Secretary of State still determines eligible voters at a statewide scale. Cities do not have this power.

When does the US lie about dual citizenship? citations please.

This paucity of basic civics and googling in this thread is sad.
    Government Affiliated Snark

I'm not talking about the market. We take revenge on the legal ones since we can't on the illegal ones.
    Make them legal, problem solved.

/Shrug Meanwhile the other 98.78% came, stayed, spent money, brought skills, and left according to the applicable laws. Using 1.22% as an excuse to constrict visa approvals -- particularly without a clear policy in place (because otherwise someone in this thread could have answered the OP directly) -- is xenophobic bullshit on the lines of what Japan and China did back in the day.

People screw up when they drive, but we generally see the benefits of car ownership as outweighing that. We have a gun control thread that is well on its way to surpassing a novel in length, but quite a few people in that thread see the Second Amendment as crucial enough to accept the risks of murder and suicide. Laws are a trade off, not a magic wand.

America has benefited immensely from immigration across its history.
    That is your opinion. But we are talking close to 1 million people per year that violate that law.
    That is a lot lot lot lot of people.
    Most of the other laws apply to much much less people.

For example laws for murder are for the 0.001% of the population that commits murder.
    We use the 0.001% of the population that commits murder to apply laws against killing people. And good thing we do. Same thing with every other crime.

Even if murders were 0.000001% we would still make laws against them.
    Meanwhile the other 99.99999% never commits any murder

So, I don't see how the percentage matters.

I am, however, 100% in favor of having clear policy in place
    Last edited by d00mGuArD; 2019-12-27 at 09:09 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Imagine if you have 100 million visitors per year . That means more than 1 million people per year did not leave.
    (not actual numbers)
    But we are talking close to 1 million people per year that violate that law.
    How about sticking to actual numbers rather than something you made up. DHS shows 2018 numbers as 666,582 overstay events. That's 300K short of a million, or not even 200K past half a million. If we're going to play with rounding, that looks like a bit over half a million. Those are also "overstay events" which includes things that aren't illegal immigration, they're people who didn't get out of the country fast enough.

Why does the percentage matter? Because the people who get through without making mistakes -- and if you've traveled you know that sometimes visa screw ups are just that -- bring business, talent and money to the US. According to DHS, that's the majority, and overstays are being addressed through other policies that do not need to constrict the availability of visas to legitimate travelers.

10+ Year Old Account
    My mum and dad visited in September and earlier in the year and had no problems, we are from UK.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TJ View Post
    My mum and dad visited in September and earlier in the year and had no problems, we are from UK.
    As mentioned already, if you're from the UK, you don't need a visa. So its kinda obvious why there are no problems.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by TJ View Post
    As mentioned already, if you're from the UK, you don't need a visa. So its kinda obvious why there are no problems.

How about sticking to actual numbers rather than something you made up. DHS shows 2018 numbers as 666,582 overstay events. That's 300K short of a million, or not even 200K past half a million. If we're going to play with rounding, that looks like a bit over half a million. Those are also "overstay events" which includes things that aren't illegal immigration, they're people who didn't get out of the country fast enough.

Why does the percentage matter? Because the people who get through without making mistakes -- and if you've traveled you know that sometimes visa screw ups are just that -- bring business, talent and money to the US. According to DHS, that's the majority, and overstays are being addressed through other policies that do not need to constrict the availability of visas to legitimate travelers.
    Like I said to the other guy. There are hundreds of millions of people in the US that don't break the "do not murder" law. And only a few thousand people break it.
    Yet there are laws against it. That is how almost all laws work. Stealing, murder, raping whatever. They are for the 0.0000001% that breaks the laws.
    Yes 300million people will never murder anyone. The law is still needed, and we should be careful for violations

The only issue I have with your argument is that the low number of violations might be due to how strict the policy is in the first place.
    But at first you didn't use these numbers for making a point about more lax policies, when you first talked about it, you were just saying that the statment "overstaying is the biggest factor when it comes to illegal immegration in the US right now." is complete bullshit - which, if your numbers are true (I didn't bother to check, I'll just believe you), is completely right.

However, now I'm somewhat confused about your goal here.

Just because right now 1% are currently overstaying, doesn't mean it'll stay at 1% when U.S. changes it's policy and checks.
    Last edited by KrayZ33; 2019-12-27 at 03:21 PM.

Well that's something worth considering but it's not the subject of this thread which is why it's so hard to get here legally.
    Whining about a problem is not as beneficial as offering a solution. I have offered one, you are welcome.