Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Where are the hardcoded (non-MB) gold "faucets" in FFXIV?

I just ran into my first "I need WHAT?" moment since my return to the game this month, and while it didn't last long (for reasons I'll explain in a moment) it did raise a new question that I'd like to ask here.

So I'm late in Heavensward, leveling and loving how the "road to 70" makes the MSQ a one stop shop for all the XP I need and, until now, all the gear I need so long as I focus one class at a time. "Until now" I say because with a quest-reward (and some lucky dungeon drops from my singular runs for story advancement) item level of 130 I ran into an item level block of another 12 average levels to run the next dungeon in the story.

Now this is where my head exploded because, up until now, the MSQ-dedicated approach to leveling has been a curated, self sufficient fun time of mostly questing and the odd low-responsibility (I am ranged DPS after all) dungeon. Fine stuff, totally fair. Running into the ilvl block I was momentarily shocked, but only until I got back to town and checked first the market board, and then more importantly the NPC vendors right next to them. The NPC vendors were selling like... over-100-level ilvl upgrades for about 15k. The MB had HQ versions of the same items for... five times the amount for the same items.

"Ok then," I said to myself, "never buying gear from players." I bought some jewelry from one of the NPC vendors, and it put me well over the needed ilvl to proceed. All was well.

Except for... one remaining question, and the reason for this post.

I've hoarded about 400,000 gil at this point, having bought not very much on the way up because, again, the MSQ was gearing me just fine, but the 15k price tags on this NPC had me wondering if there's a game-side gold faucet that I might take note of in the future. I felt kinda poor as I realized I could actually spend like half of my life savings jacking my ilvl up over a hundred points through just this NPC gil-based merchant alone.

Now maybe the answer is "to save money, make it yourself," and yes I plan to level some crafting classes. If that's the answer, ok, I accept that... but I find that in other games, for every gold/gil expenditure that isn't meant to actually be a long term sink (and we can't really call leveling gear a long term sink, can we?), there's a faucet somewhere, a place where the game provides gold through quest rewards or something similar, so the player can work their way to get all the minor game-level sinks like... well, NPC vendor gear.

Where are these repeatable faucets in FFXIV? Leves? Dungeons? Something else? Or is the answer indeed "don't want to spend? Make it yourself!"

To be clear, a gold faucet does not touch the market board, which is a product of the community, not the game (thus the inflated "PC economy" prices). So before anyone says "make things and sell them," that's not a faucet, that's moving money around between players.

Thanks in advance for any and all helpful replies

Some people sold tons of plot relinquishes before and after the random timer arrived. One will survive multiple expansions with hundreds of millions of gil from few good sales. Rinse and repeat before every new expansion, if you wish.

Of course, proceed with care. GMs may or may not interfere, whole business is grey but still thriving in certain places of the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by Saradain View Post
    Some people sold tons of plot relinquishes before and after the random timer arrived. One will survive multiple expansions with hundreds of millions of gil from few good sales. Rinse and repeat before every new expansion, if you wish.
    Ok but that's not really a thing that's in the game. Where are the repeatable gold sources in the game that justify emptying one's wallet for NPC vendor leveling gear.

Now I concede that level 60 was the cap in HW, so maybe this is a singular anomaly, but again, I'd still like to know where once gets "respectable gil" without playing the market board.

At 50+ you should be earning Tomestones of Poetics no? Those should allow you to buy any gear you need to meet ilvl requirements assuming quests aren't providing what you need.

The ilvl 130 ironworks gear + quest rewards should be enough to get you through Heavensward MSQ at least far enough to reach idyllshire where you can spend Tomestones of Poetics on significantly higher ilvl gear (260 upgradeable to 270 I believe).

Gil should be a non-issue and I cant think of any case where you should have to buy gear while leveling to progress past an ilvl check.

But in an effort to address your desire for gil, here's some methods of earning gil that aren't too onerous:

The only "faucet" I can think of that matches what you're looking for is running roulette's as a "role in need" (usually tank). Queing as the role in need gives you extra gil and GC seals for the run. That's basically it for a "repeatable faucet".

GC seals from running dungeons and turning in green dungeon drops can be used to purchase things you can sell on the MB such as cordials (a consumable gatherers use), housing items (the GC leader portraits can sell decently), and even items necessary for the Heavensward relics which many people are happy to buy from the MB so as to skip those steps quickly.

One of your two retainers should be the same class/job as your main one is and this retainer should be sent on mission to gather materials (often leather) which you can sell on the market. Lower level leather won't really sell but past the 30 there should be certain things a retainer can bring back such as Fleece and higher tier leathers that can't be purchased from a vendor. You retainer can also be sent on Quick Ventures which can bring back random things... sometimes they are quite valuable, oft times not so much, but quick ventures become more and more likely to be profitable in some way or another as the retainer grows in level.

If you level gathering jobs, not only can you gather materials that sell well (even some lower lvl mats have value), but you can also have your second retainer take on a gathering job to gather materials to sell. Silver Ore for example is still used even in higher end crafts and in many housing items.

Bottom line though is there should be no reason you ever have to actually spend your gil on gear while leveling. Not once you are getting Tomestones of Poetics. And you can farm the crap out of those to fill all your gear slots and at a certain point even use poetics to buy certain crafting mats that might sell on the MB for those looking to make glamour items or even to just buy Thanalan Soil to sell on the MB to those looking to do crossbreed gardening.
    Last edited by Kyriani; 2019-12-27 at 04:32 AM.

Most of my funds came from roulettes over time. The payout isn't massive per one but it adds up fairly quickly. It will always pale in comparison though to what people can get by crafting.

Gearing up is really easy. Just do your roulettes, and spend the tomestones you get from them on the gear you need. You don't need to spend any gil whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by Omedon View Post
    Ok but that's not really a thing that's in the game. Where are the repeatable gold sources in the game that justify emptying one's wallet for NPC vendor leveling gear.

Now I concede that level 60 was the cap in HW, so maybe this is a singular anomaly, but again, I'd still like to know where once gets "respectable gil" without playing the market board.
    i get 200k a day from roulettes

Ok these are all somewhat good suggestions, but what I'm looking for is something to make me stop fearing I'll never see 6 digits again ever once I buy an apartment. Like, sure, if I didn't want an apartment, I'm pretty comfy at 400k... but... like... access level housing that's there to be had for every player that never goes away... that's... that's not really what should be a once-ever-blow-your-fortune sink. Where do I get my money back after buying an apartment in a way where the source is *from the game*, not other players?

Quote Originally Posted by Nasuuna View Post
    i get 200k a day from roulettes
    Truly? Ok that's promising.
    Last edited by Omedon; 2019-12-27 at 04:43 AM.

Ok these are all somewhat good suggestions, but what I'm looking for is something to make me stop fearing I'll never see 6 digits again ever once I buy an apartment. Like, sure, if I didn't want an apartment, I'm pretty comfy at 400k... but... like... access level housing that's there to be had for every player that never goes away... that's... that's not really what should be a once-ever-blow-your-fortune sink. Where do I get my money back after buying an apartment in a way where the source is *from the game*, not other players?

Truly? Ok that's promising.
    I had less than a million gil. Bought an apartment and went crazy buying furniture. Became broke. Got back up to 500k just doing roulettes in a week.

I wouldn't say there's a true natural faucet that doesn't involve the market board, there's no one source that's supremely good for making tons of money quickly. The most consistent and easiest way to make tons of money fast is to sell highly desirable items on the market board. The reason high quality leveling gear is so expensive is because people who have already capped at least one job, and often multiple jobs, run right to the market board for upgrades at about levels 56-59, 66-69, and 76-79. These people often have a lot of money to burn on leveling gear.

My best advice is to gear up via dungeons, and use level 50, 60, and 70 gear (ilvl 130, 270, and 400 respectively) for as long as you possibly can.

Ultimately, it's not difficult to accumulate gil so long as you don't spend gil. And outside of teleport costs, there's little, if any, need to spend gil.

Gil is mainly for vanity items and convenience purchases. You should never need to buy gear from either vendors or the market board for gil.
    Last edited by Kyriani; 2019-12-27 at 04:05 PM.

I don't want to barrage this topic with quotes, but I'd like to thank everyone who has given suggestions and insights here.

The two big takeaways I am particularly thankful for between this discussion and the similar one I have going on the official forums are 1) the use of tomestones for buying big upgrades at the applicable prior-levelcap levels and 2) the gold values from roulettes, which now that I've looked at them are pretty much exactly what I'm looking for here: Not suuuper high, but enough to crawl back into comfortably covering "living expenses" (teleports) after a big purchase like a house.

I just have one more question to that end, regarding roulettes. When I look at the numbers of rewards from roulettes, there's a gold value, and an XP value, and then there are arrows above them with the "adventurer needed" text.

Are those numbers the base value, or the value granted to the "adventurer needed?" If it's the latter, what are the values given to those not of the class that's needed in comparison? Half? Less?

Quote Originally Posted by Kyriani View Post
    Ultimately, it's not difficult to accumulate gil so long as you don't spend gil. And outside of teleport costs, there's little, if any, need to spend gil.

Gil is mainly for vanity items and convenience purchases. You should never need to buy gear from either vendors or the market board for gil.
    most of mine is spent on robe lettuce and tinctures

I just have one more question to that end, regarding roulettes. When I look at the numbers of rewards from roulettes, there's a gold value, and an XP value, and then there are arrows above them with the "adventurer needed" text.

Are those numbers the base value, or the value granted to the "adventurer needed?" If it's the latter, what are the values given to those not of the class that's needed in comparison? Half? Less?
    If I remember correctly, you should see two values for each currency if you are the needed role. The first XP value is the base amount, the second XP value is additional bonus.

most of mine is spent on robe lettuce and tinctures
    I rarely spend gil, but when I do it's typically in large amounts for things like glamour items or rare crafting mats to make glamour items. Outside of that there's few reasons for me to spend my gil since I am fairly self sufficient and able to produce most things I need myself. I have my gathering and crafting jobs all maxed and my retainers are usually off on quick ventures, bringing me back a variety of things to either sell or turn in for GC seals which I use on dark matter and cordials to defray my spending, or on certain crafting mats or housing items to sell.

I rarely spend gil, but when I do it's typically in large amounts for things like glamour items or rare crafting mats to make glamour items. Outside of that there's few reasons for me to spend my gil since I am fairly self sufficient and able to produce most things I need myself. I have my gathering and crafting jobs all maxed and my retainers are usually off on quick ventures, bringing me back a variety of things to either sell or turn in for GC seals which I use on dark matter and cordials to defray my spending, or on certain crafting mats or housing items to sell.
    I'm not much for crafting, I've got 1.4mil, and I typically make enough from savage and roulette to keep my consumables up.

I'm not much for crafting, I've got 1.4mil, and I typically make enough from savage and roulette to keep my consumables up.
    I tend to hover between 190mil to 210mil. It just... kind of accumulates through play. I don't do crazy market board selling, and I only rarely sell crafted items. I just end up with more gil than I know what to do with because I have little reason to spend it.

I can make my own consumables. I can make gear for alt jobs if desired. I can make the craftable glam and housing items I want. The main things I find myself spending on are crafting mats from treasure maps (because I don't really run them very often) and expensive trial mats for glam crafts like Nidhogg Scales and what not.

If I made any significant money from the MB its probably from selling things I've gathered. You can imagine how much the Ishgard Restoration mats were going for early on. I also sold fish for a time since shrimp and oysters were necessary for some buff foods and sold well.

I tend to hover between 190mil to 210mil. It just... kind of accumulates through play. I don't do crazy market board selling, and I only rarely sell crafted items. I just end up with more gil than I know what to do with because I have little reason to spend it.

I can make my own consumables. I can make gear for alt jobs if desired. I can make the craftable glam and housing items I want. The main things I find myself spending on are crafting mats from treasure maps (because I don't really run them very often) and expensive trial mats for glam crafts like Nidhogg Scales and what not.

If I made any significant money from the MB its probably from selling things I've gathered. You can imagine how much the Ishgard Restoration mats were going for early on. I also sold fish for a time since shrimp and oysters were necessary for some buff foods and sold well.
    eh, if I want gear I just go farm savage. My buddies have like 500 mil between them if I want anything

With the reuse skill, I've actually been making a ton of money buying things like titania wings, innocence blades, marine wax ester, etc. I buy these in pretty large emotes, and get many reuse procs. It's not reliable to just buy one of these things and hope for a reuse proc, you need to buy many of them and craft them many times so that you reliably get at least a few reuse procs. Then, you spend the next few weeks selling them off, since they're kind of slow sellers, but the reuse skill helps you print money by effectively making it so these items take no expensive materials at all, or half the expensive materials.

Quote Originally Posted by Niroshi View Post
    Most of my funds came from roulettes over time. The payout isn't massive per one but it adds up fairly quickly. It will always pale in comparison though to what people can get by crafting.
    Yeah the incremental gain is insane over time.