Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    Yeah, but Alderaan is a core world, right? And Gideon said Cara was from Alderaan? Why doesn't she know about the Jedi?
    true, can't disagree there. but leia isn't a jedi for her time on alderaan, and Luke is far far away. all i can come back with is "i dunno, they must've missed them"

oh and the planet is destroyed before Luke is jedi luke. so yeah, beats me
    No sense crying over spilt beer, unless you're drunk...

Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    I can see how people would not have specific know almost 30 years after the Jedi temple fell and no one to continue their history in sight.
    Really?

Jim Jones was a stupid little cult leader from more than 30 years ago in the real world. People still know of him, they know what a cult is, and they know what a crazy cult leader is. And he had way less influence on culture of our world than the Jedi had in the Star Wars universe.

I mean, they've been around for literally tens of thousands of years, and were an galactic police force for a huge chunk of that time.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeek Daniels View Post
    The problem with your thinking is that you think that everyone is connected. You think everyone on the planet knows who the president of the US is? The US is very influentual around the planet. But im willing to bet that most countries are not blasting US politics over the air waves. If first world countries are like the republic, then 3rd world countries are like territories not controlled by the republic.
    I mean, this is a really bad example. Everyone in the world follows American politics. My whole family lives in India and knows more about American politics than most Americans I know.

I lived in the deep African bush from 2004-2006 when I was in the Peace Corps, and Africans who couldn't read or write nevertheless knew all about George Bush, the 2000 election, the war in Iraq, and all sorts of American political stuff. It didn't help that America in the Cold War supported apartheid South Africa, their colonizers (I was in Namibia), and thus they especially knew of American geopolitics just because it's what they always discussed in their struggle for indepedence.

Plus, then you factor in that communication in Star Wars *is* so much easier. You can communicate from planetside to ship in deep space, I imagine that means you can communicate rather easily from planet to planet (in fact, all the prequels holograms of Sidious speaking to Trade Federation goons confirms this), it makes no sense that core worlds, at the very least, aren't well versed in who the Jedi are, *especially* during the Clone Wars. Even Luke, who grew up on "backwoods" Tatooine knew who the Jedi were, even though presumably his Uncle Owen and Aunt Beru probably tried to keep that sort of stuff away from him in case he heard about.......oh, a famous Jedi who shared his last name.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Funkenstein View Post
    Really?

Jim Jones was a stupid little cult leader from more than 30 years ago in the real world. People still know of him, they know what a cult is, and they know what a crazy cult leader is. And he had way less influence on culture of our world than the Jedi had in the Star Wars universe.

I mean, they've been around for literally tens of thousands of years, and were an galactic police force for a huge chunk of that time.
    we know who jim jones is. ask a 15 year old.

Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    She seemed to have basic knowledge of the Force when Baby Yoda choked her.

I can see how people would not have specific know almost 30 years after the Jedi temple fell and no one to continue their history in sight.
    I mean, I know about the Armenian genocide 100 years later without knowing any personal Armenians or having any connection to that part of the world. The closest connection I have to Armenians is listening to System of a Down. I suppose I'm well educated, but it still boggles my mind that 30 years would be enough to forget who Jedi are.

I mean, I know about the Armenian genocide 100 years later without knowing any personal Armenians or having any connection to that part of the world. The closest connection I have to Armenians is listening to System of a Down. I suppose I'm well educated, but it still boggles my mind that 30 years would be enough to forget who Jedi are.
    but you obviously like to educate yourself on historical matters. this appears to be your thing. there are still plenty of people that don't care about that and know nothing of Armenia, but they'll run you through the ringer with mechanical knowledge for example.

grandparents never saw a jedi

parents never did either

i havent.

what's a jedi?

Quote Originally Posted by Vargulf the Happy Husky View Post
    but you obviously like to educate yourself on historical matters. this appears to be your thing. there are still plenty of people that don't care about that and know nothing of Armenia, but they'll run you through the ringer with mechanical knowledge for example.

parents never did either

i havent.

what's a jedi?
    Surely their parents had heard of the Clone Wars, though, no?

The ones started with an army secretly created by a Jedi, which had large scale battles of Jedi vs. droid armies, and clone troopers led by Jedi knights who took the place of Generals?

Surely these would be hot topics in most worlds?

It's like saying you've heard of World War 2, but you don't know who the Nazis are. The Jedi have a large role in the Clone Wars, and the Clone Wars were.....30 years before the events in The Mandalorian? Maybe 40?

we know who jim jones is. ask a 15 year old.
    And your point is...?

Nevermind that no one on the show is 15 years old. They were all alive when the Jedi were a major force in the galaxy. And again... they've been around for tens of thousands of years.

It's like waking up tomorrow and being all "wtf was this Jesus person?" or "Romans? What's that word even mean?"

The ones started with an army secretly created by a Jedi, which had large scale battles of Jedi vs. droid armies, and clone troopers led by Jedi knights who took the place of Generals?

The war would be - the details about how it got started would not. ESPECIALLY after the guy who started it all became an all-powerful dictator afterwards.

And wrong right out of the gate.

10+ Year Old Account
    Your taking for granted how much the average person knows about the world outside of their personal bubble. As 5 strangers about the Armenian Genocide, no as them what is an 'Armenian'. Prepare to be amazed.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    And your point is...?

Nevermind that no one on the show is 15 years old. They were all alive when the Jedi were a major force in the galaxy. And again... they've been around for tens of thousands of years.

It's like waking up tomorrow and being all "wtf was this Jesus person?" or "Romans? What's that word even mean?"
    i'm 36 and don't know who he is (googled) i'd bet 90% of the people my age where I live wouldn't know him either.
    MMO-Champ the place where calling out trolls get you into more trouble than trolling.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    The war would be - the details about how it got started would not. ESPECIALLY after the guy who started it all became an all-powerful dictator afterwards.
    Some alone the lines of

"The Jedi, a radical fundamentalist cult, had been running a false operation since Naboo to drag the Republic into war. They wanted to use the fame from the war to seize power. Chancellor Palpatine heroically stood between the Jedi Council and their treasonous grab for power. Unfortunately not without being wounded. War Hero and formal Jedi Master Anakin Skywalker and the 501st Clone Legion stood up against his treasonous brothers and put and to their reign of terror. Sadly he was slain in the process. Long love the Empire. "

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Dude, I'm not sure if you're aware of that, but there are tons of people who probably think the Romans are a myth, or that Assassins Creed invented the ancient greeks. Knowledge is extremely fragile. Look what happened to mankind in the Dark Ages. Hundreds of years of innovation and progress lost.

I'm not saying it makes no sense that noone knows who the Jedi are, but there are precedences in our world of people not knowing rather influential persons that lived befor their time. Ask among teenagers who Lady Diana or John Lennon are, see how many know that. Both of them had a cult-like following and reverrence to them, and yet, I bet you that 50% of teenagers these days don't know who they were.

jango's armor seems, i dunno "better" than boba's. i'm betting boba fett killed one of those random mandalorians like we see in the enclave and jacked their armor.
    I figured it was however many decades of wear and tear on the armor, along with a repaint job, rather than him discarding that armor in favor of a different Mando's armor, but dunno.
    plus, in Clone Wars, boba uses his father's helmet as an IED.
    Haven't watched it.
    "I only feel two things Gary, nothing, and nothingness."

15+ Year Old Account
    And your point is...?

You're dramatically underestimating how big the universe is. Nevermind that most of this stuff is taking place in the outer rim, the far edge of colonized space.

The Jedi Order was not a massive organization even at its peak, just an influential one close to the Republic government. Its forces numbered in the hundreds -- if that -- in a universe teeming with different civilizations.

On top of that, the Empire suppressed nearly all records of it existence and would certainly have applied disinformation and propaganda campaigns to discredit them and spread disbelief.

15+ Year Old Account
    Nope. But nice try.
    Why not? It was a light side and dark side user fighting as the only ones left. That is the problem. You have a conclusion of what the prophecy meant in your mind and are ignoring everything else that doesn't indicate your chosen conclusion as the truth.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

Yeah, but Alderaan is a core world, right? And Gideon said Cara was from Alderaan? Why doesn't she know about the Jedi?
    Not to mention a member of the Rebellion, "May the Force be with you." Did you never stop to ask WTF the leaders were talking about?

It's like saying you've heard of World War 2, but you don't know who the Nazis are. The Jedi have a large role in the Clone Wars, and the Clone Wars were.....30 years before the events in The Mandalorian? Maybe 40?
    I think it's more like living in a world where Hitler won, and intentionally burned out the knowledge of a specific order of monks who fought with him and betrayed him. Maybe during the war people heard about Jedi, but then afterward they became something akin to fake news.

It's also not clear at all from the films how news works or is shared, and whether there is anything akin to a galactic internet. Sure, you can send holotransmissions, but can you access data libraries remotely?

People talk about how Jedi are this major force in the SW galaxy but it's not that clear that that's the case from a ground level perspective. Major players know of them, some people have heard of them, but what about people who are remote from them? An example: someone mentioned Tatooine and Luke knowing what a Jedi was. Okay, technically a backwater planet, certainly from Luke's perspective, but also really close to one of the only remaining Jedi in existence. We don't know much about what Obi-Wan had been up to over those 20 years, who he talked to. He would definitely have done whatever he could to ensure that Luke had a positive view of what a Jedi was, so does that really factor in? As a viewer we're almost always seeing things through the eyes of people closely connected to the Jedi in some way, maybe this show is giving us a sense of what they look like from a greater distance.

Bear in mind too, that for most of the events of the prequels, Palpatine had a strong grip on the Republic, meaning he could have subtly been influencing public perception with his long game in mind. Downplaying their part in the war particularly, or portraying them more as fighters than any kind of magic user. The Jedi most likely wouldn't be too concerned with how they are portrayed in the news, and most of the first person reporters would be fucking clones.

If you never saw magic, and your parents and grandparents talked about these distant beings who they heard from a guy who one time saw this magic being used, and that was countered by whatever propaganda was drilled into you not just by the Empire, but by everything the Empire touches, they would probably be a forgotten footnote, maybe a historical curiosity.

Edit: I think about how that mandalorian group was slaughtered, too. People talk about what the Mandalorians should know but... how much knowledge is saved when your people are eradicated over and over again. It's no wonder their culture basically has a catchphrase and a uniform and not much else at this point.
    Last edited by Zaktar; 2019-12-28 at 12:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kathranis View Post
    The Jedi Order was not a massive organization even at its peak, just an influential one close to the Republic government. Its forces numbered in the hundreds -- if that -- in a universe teeming with different civilizations.
    The Jedi aren't the only Force users though, belief in the Force was not tied only to the Jedi. On top of that you have the Mandalorians who are fiercely independent and have a history tied to the Jedi, even with the Empire suppressing information on the Jedi and the Force the Mandalorians should know enough of what's happening to realize,"oh this is the Force". With knowledge of the Jedi seemingly so suppressed the next time Moff Gideon having the Darksaber is going to have no impact on Din Djarin, because he'll have no idea what it is beyond an impressive melee weapon.