Quote Originally Posted by Vargulf the Happy Husky View Post
    how is that wrong? you don't know.

what i'm saying is yes, the jedi were a very small outfit that not everyone knew about. hard to fathom maybe for you..
    Hahahaha!

Yes, the galactic police were a "very small outfit that not everyone knew about." Nailed it.

Look, you people would have a better argument if you wanted to claim the Emperor used his Super Galactic Sith Mind Trick to wipe them from everyone's minds save for those with extraordinarily strong wills, rather than trying to pretend that no one remembers the Jedi just, you know, 'cause.

"I ain't never seen no [insert just about anything here; let's go with Nazis for this example]! Ergo, they never existed, and no one's ever heard of them! That's totally plausible, Doctor Funkenstein! I mean, if I ain't n'er seen me one in the flesh, they can't have existed in any way whatsoever for me nor nobody else! Derp! #ARGUMENTWON!!!"

7+ Year Old Account
    finished the ep 8 now, easy the best one, gonna say i rly like the serie, i was with low expectations but end up enjoying a lot, its not perfect, bu i rate 8/10 will watch again, it had some "sidequests" with the bounties and it wrap up pretty good to prepare for the second season with a objective

Love mando, It was rly strange seeing mando without the helm, his voice didn't match

The black saber is something im looking

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    How does the average person know about Merlin of Arthurian legend, or Gandalf, or Dumbledore?
    well i know many people who don't know what those things are, today is easy with internet, but i think after the jedi fall, a lot of people kinda forgot about the jedi order, much because palpatine/empire propaganda

im gonna say it was a bit of stretch to fit the plot the mandolarian don't know about, but since he didn't even face one because apparently they were extinct its a good explanation

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Funkenstein View Post
    Hahahaha!

Yes, the galactic police were a "very small outfit that not everyone knew about." Nailed it.

Look, you people would have a better argument if you wanted to claim the Emperor used his Super Galactic Sith Mind Trick to wipe them from everyone's minds save for those with extraordinarily strong wills, rather than trying to pretend that no one remembers the Jedi just, you know, 'cause.

"I ain't never seen no [insert just about anything here; let's go with Nazis for this example]! Ergo, they never existed, and no one's ever heard of them! That's totally plausible, Doctor Funkenstein! I mean, if I ain't n'er seen me one in the flesh, they can't have existed in any way whatsoever for me nor nobody else! Derp! #ARGUMENTWON!!!"
    Say there are 10,000 Jedi at the time of the purge. 10,000 people is a pretty small group on a planet of 6 billion; Star Wars supposedly supports 50 million inhabited planets. It's hard to wrap ones head around the number of people that means there are in that galaxy, but is it hard for me to believe that to many people in it, Jedi are a myth barely worth talking about? Surely it is. How many paramilitary religious sects could there be in such an enormous collection of sentient beings? We also have no idea how well publicized they are, even at their height. People connected to the senate are aware of them, but past that? How much does anyone actually know about them, that they are galactic peacekeepers? Do they know that they have religious beliefs, magic powers? Is that well understood, is it rumor? This is before we even factor in a dedicated misinformation campaign by the dictator-run government. How well do the people of North Korea understand the rest of the world, and its history?

7+ Year Old Account
    A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaktar View Post
    Say there are 10,000 Jedi at the time of the purge. 10,000 people is a pretty small group on a planet of 6 billion; Star Wars supposedly supports 50 million inhabited planets. It's hard to wrap ones head around the number of people that means there are in that galaxy, but is it hard for me to believe that to many people in it, Jedi are a myth barely worth talking about? Surely it is. How many paramilitary religious sects could there be in such an enormous collection of sentient beings? We also have no idea how well publicized they are, even at their height. People connected to the senate are aware of them, but past that? How much does anyone actually know about them, that they are galactic peacekeepers? Do they know that they have religious beliefs, magic powers? Is that well understood, is it rumor? This is before we even factor in a dedicated misinformation campaign by the dictator-run government. How well do the people of North Korea understand the rest of the world, and its history?
    Even if there were 10 million Jedi at the time of the purge ... that is still hugely outnumbered by just the rest of the population of Coruscant. I don't think people realize that Jedi weren't numerous, most live their day to day lives on Coruscant while a small number lived on other Jedi outposts and Temples.

Coruscant population is about 1 Trillion people. I don't think people realize how large the population of the Star Wars Galaxy is. And even on the fringes of the Republic, Jedi were more legends.
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

Hahahaha!

actually that's not far off either. pretty much how propaganda works, which the empire was absolutely using against the jedi and later against the rebellion.

but i'm done talking to you. you annoy me.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Aurrora View Post
    It wasn't Republic credits, he was still trying to pay him in Imperial currency.
    that's true. either way, the mon calamari fish patties were worth more lol
    No sense crying over spilt beer, unless you're drunk...

Even that seems pretty silly. Do Mandalorians reject sex or are they just really kinky and not into kissing? They'll probably write in some outs eventually, exceptions to the rule.
    Considering how the Mandalorians are almost a monk-like group, it is possible that they are celibate. I am no Star Wars expert on lore, but it is not some far fetched idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Vargulf the Happy Husky View Post
    actually that's not far off either. pretty much how propaganda works, which the empire was absolutely using against the jedi and later against the rebellion.
    Yeah, the magic word "propaganda" explains everything. It magically wipes all knowledge of things out of existence, across the entire galaxy, in less than 30 years! You know, a timeframe WITHIN LIVING MEMORY. Meaning the propaganda was SO good it magically went into people's brains and scrubbed it clean! I guess thats' why the holocaust never existed in the real world; those holocaust deniers with their magic propaganda successfully wiped all knowledge of it from everyone. Yessiree.

you annoy me.
    Trust me, the feeling is mutual.

- - - Updated - - -

Say there are 10,000 Jedi at the time of the purge. 10,000 people is a pretty small group on a planet of 6 billion
    How many actors named John Wayne [or any other specific individual you wish to pick that were known to exist] were there on Earth? 1 out of how many people to have lived throughout all of recorded human history? Something like 100 billion or so I think? And yet, even though he's been dead for decades, he's still known about. How odd!

And he was just some actor. Not a GALACTIC POLICE FORCE SYNONYMOUS WITH THE DOMINANT GOVERNING BODY.

The Jedi aren't even a fucking myth or legend for some bizarre ass reason. Merlin is a well known mythological figure from more than a thousand years ago and neither he nor magic were even fucking real. Yet an ACTUAL, LIVING, BREATHING police force of wizards and magicians, who were real and involved in every facet of society in the Star Wars galaxy, who only disappeared 30 YEARS AGO after a MASSIVE CIVIL WAR THAT SPANNED THE SAME GALAXY -- a war people remember, and were even god damned involved in -- have zero recollection of them. Like, the mere idea that such a being even existed isn't even an inkling of a thought in their brains.

It's ridiculously stupid. And to be honest, I have no idea why you guys can't just accept that it is, in fact, just a stupid aspect of the Star Wars mythos and move on, but have to try -- horribly so -- to rationalize it away instead. Even though you can't in any reasonable, plausible way whatsoever.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think Episode 6 was complete shit. Everything else was great. Loved Baby Yoda and I'm excited for Season 2.

EDIT: Sorry, that was a weird double posting that somehow had another post in between it. /boggle

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorgodeus View Post
    Considering how the Mandalorians are almost a monk-like group, it is possible that they are celibate. I am no Star Wars expert on lore, but it is not some far fetched idea.
    They weren't celibate on Mandalore, had kids...here's death watch "rescuing" some

also, when they are on the brink on extinction, I seriously doubt celibacy will be approved...for all we know, the Armorer Lady has orgies off-screen.
    She has red armor, I guess she's from klan Saxon.

Maybe family does not count.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorgodeus View Post
    Maybe family does not count.
    House Vizsla, Saxon, Wren and others fought for supremacy

"I adhere to the Resol'nare. The core of what it means to be Mandalorian. A sacred law giving us direction and purpose. Education and armor, self-defense, our tribe, our language, our leader—all help us survive. We must educate our children as Mandalorians, obey the commands of Mandalore, speak Mando'a and defend our clans."
    Last edited by Ihavewaffles; 2019-12-28 at 02:14 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, the magic word "propaganda" explains everything. It magically wipes all knowledge of things out of existence, across the entire galaxy, in less than 30 years! You know, a timeframe WITHIN LIVING MEMORY. Meaning the propaganda was SO good it magically went into people's brains and scrubbed it clean! I guess thats' why the holocaust never existed in the real world; those holocaust deniers with their magic propaganda successfully wiped all knowledge of it from everyone. Yessiree.
    Are Holocaust deniers in charge of what gets taught? Are Holocaust deniers in control of the media? The Empire controlled EVERYTHING.

How many actors named John Wayne [or any other specific individual you wish to pick that were known to exist] were there on Earth? 1 out of how many people to have lived throughout all of recorded human history? Something like 100 billion or so I think? And yet, even though he's been dead for decades, he's still known about. How odd!

And he was just some actor. Not a GALACTIC POLICE FORCE SYNONYMOUS WITH THE DOMINANT GOVERNING BODY.
    I know of no actor named John Wayne. Are you talking about Marion Morrison?

Also, the Jedi weren't a Police Force ... they were what they called Peace Keepers. The Jedi often aided local law enforcement and militaries of the planets of the Republic and not all planets were under the Republic laws. Did Obi-wan and Qui-Gon in Episode I go into the Trade Federation ship lightsaber blazing and throwing junk around? That's how the Jedi handled things, they resorted to using the Force only when needed for defense.

Also, law enforcement has handle more often by local government groups than Jedi, the Jedi were brought it only when requested by said government.

The Jedi aren't even a fucking myth or legend for some bizarre ass reason. Merlin is a well known mythological figure from more than a thousand years ago and neither he nor magic were even fucking real. Yet an ACTUAL, LIVING, BREATHING police force of wizards and magicians, who were real and involved in every facet of society in the Star Wars galaxy, who only disappeared 30 YEARS AGO after a MASSIVE CIVIL WAR THAT SPANNED THE SAME GALAXY -- a war people remember, and were even god damned involved in -- have zero recollection of them. Like, the mere idea that such a being even existed isn't even an inkling of a thought in their brains.

It's ridiculously stupid. And to be honest, I have no idea why you guys can't just accept that it is, in fact, just a stupid aspect of the Star Wars mythos and move on, but have to try -- horribly so -- to rationalize it away instead. Even though you can't in any reasonable, plausible way whatsoever.
    There were a lot of the people in the galaxy were award the Jedi existed, but not exactly what they were. There are a trillion beings on Coruscant, a place that is describe as having people believing the sun is a myth (I know for the sake of humor). To the average person, a Jedi was just a being they knew little of ... so yes, it makes sense. A lot of the people we meet who have little knowledge of the Jedi were children during the Clone Wars. I don't even remember what some of my elementary teachers names were, nor exactly everything they did ... some of my memories are flawed. That's how memory works.

How well do you remember 30 years ago if you are over 30? Not as well as you think you do.
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

Quote Originally Posted by Darththeo View Post
    How well do you remember 30 years ago if you are over 30? Not as well as you think you do.
    LOL.

Yes. Anything [your age or older] is forgotten knowledge. No one has any idea what happened [insert number here] years ago! It's completely impossible to know anything about anything! World War II? Romans? Cavemen? Dinosaurs? What are these words?!?!?!

And if you are [insert same number hear]s-old or older, some dude could have just come up to you, punched you in the face, told you to forget everything, and BAM! Gone forever!

Yessir. Perfectly reasonable and sensible. Much easier to espouse that kind of stupidity rather than saying, "you know, it is pretty dumb no one in the Star Wars galaxy remembers, or has even heard of, the Jedi or force powers in general even if they were alive when it was still a common aspect of life in the galaxy. But I still like the show and can overlook that sillyness."

Good call.

EDIT: And let's not forget this same show put the Dark Saber into live action canon. You know, basically Excalibur (wait, what's that?! it's a myth from so long ago, no one must know what that is!!!) for the Mandalorians... and created by a FAMED Mandalorian Jedi... and brought into Mandalorian legend due to how many Jedi were killed with it. But, you know, what's a Jedi?
    Last edited by Doctor Funkenstein; 2019-12-28 at 02:31 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    LOL.

Yes. Anything [your age or older] is forgotten knowledge. No one has any idea what happened [insert number here] years ago! It's completely impossible to know anything about anything! World War II? Romans? Cavemen? Dinosaurs? What are these words?!?!?!

And if you are [insert same number hear]s-old or older, some dude could have just come up to you, punched you in the face, told you to forget everything, and BAM! Gone forever!

Yessir. Perfectly reasonable and sensible. Much easier to espouse that kind of stupidity rather than saying, "you know, it is pretty dumb no one in the Star Wars galaxy remembers, or has even heard of, the Jedi or force powers in general even if they were alive when it was still a common aspect of life in the galaxy. But I still like the show and can overlook that sillyness."

Good call.
    That wasn't my argument. Care to actually address what I stated?

The Jedi in the Star Wars Galaxy isn't "gone forever" it is move to the stuff of Legends for a variety of reasons. People acting like "It was only 30 years ago" don't understand how memory works.
    –The Sith Code

I remember when I was 8 fairly well. The Berlin Wall fell when I was 8. I still remember that.

I'd know it even better if there was a large scale war that involved nearly the entire galaxy.

I'm not sure what to think of people who say they don't know who Jesus and John Wayne are, in this thread. Non-Christians know who Jesus is regularly, and I've never even seen a Western but I know that John Wayne acted in them long before I was ever born. It's not feasible to me that *everyone* can live such a closed-off life. Which is what it would require for people to not know who the Jedi are, 30 years after the fall of the Republic.

Like, even if I'm a country bumpkin, who doesn't follow any news - someone is going to know about the Jedi, and things like space wizards permeate culture pretty readily - especially if they're actually real.

For example, the events on Naboo, witnessed by both Gungans and Nabooians (?) would still be widely known, 30 years later, just from the actions of 2 Jedi who briefly were entangled in their politics. Even if I'm a Gungan who never left the underwater city and may have even been born afterwards, that's an event I'm going to hear about.

I'm boggled by why this is the hill people want to die on, that a galaxy with interstellar travel AND communication, would be so ignorant about important events that happened in living memory.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    I remember when I was 8 fairly well. The Berlin Wall fell when I was 8. I still remember that.

I'd know it even better if there was a large scale war that involved nearly the entire galaxy.

I'm not sure what to think of people who say they don't know who Jesus and John Wayne are, in this thread. Non-Christians know who Jesus is regularly, and I've never even seen a Western but I know that John Wayne acted in them long before I was ever born. It's not feasible to me that *everyone* can live such a closed-off life. Which is what it would require for people to not know who the Jedi are, 30 years after the fall of the Republic.

Like, even if I'm a country bumpkin, who doesn't follow any news - someone is going to know about the Jedi, and things like space wizards permeate culture pretty readily - especially if they're actually real.

For example, the events on Naboo, witnessed by both Gungans and Nabooians (?) would still be widely known, 30 years later, just from the actions of 2 Jedi who briefly were entangled in their politics. Even if I'm a Gungan who never left the underwater city and may have even been born afterwards, that's an event I'm going to hear about.

I'm boggled by why this is the hill people want to die on, that a galaxy with interstellar travel AND communication, would be so ignorant about important events that happened in living memory.
    Do you remember the wall falling or do you remember stories? People constantly talk about remembering things as X and if we had video, it would prove your memory faulty. Hell, if you need proof memories are faulty, just look at the Mandela Effects that exist ... people remember things wrong all the time. I have high school classmates that swear they saw me at prom, except I didn't go to prom, I went to see Attack of the Clones.

Let's talk Marion Morrison (who people call by his stage name). How many people know that John Wayne wasn't his name? It is unlikely that you would know that unless you looked into him. Even fans of John Wayne movies don't know it was a stage name. But, now let's say the US Government actively destroyed all John Wayne movies and made owning a John Wayne movie illegal as well as asking about him. How long do you think it would take for John Wayne to start fading from memory?

So we take that memory is faulty, a government destroying all records and the same government is actively preventing people from looking up information ... what happens in 20 years? 30 years?
    Last edited by Darththeo; 2019-12-28 at 02:40 PM.
    –The Sith Code

I hope we'll see Yoda's homeworld at the end of the season!

Only to find out that Yoda was only an average force user (O_o)'

I remember watching the fall of the Berlin Wall. On TV. People standing on top of it, breaking chunks off of it, etc.

And I'm not German. I'm not even European. Technically, I wasn't even American yet. We were just Indian immigrants on the path to citizenship in a blue collar town in the U.S.

And again, what you're talking about, in terms of controlling information, is not possible in a modern, technological setting, which is what Star Wars is. North Korea can't even manage it and they're taking the cave man approach by stifling access to technology itself. China is utterly failing at it and they're actively censoring information. In fact, wherever the Empire had less control, like the Outer Rim, the stories would be even more prevalent. Hell, Jabba knows who the Jedi were, and he was just a local crime lord who had never met one before he met Luke. And even in the core planet, with its trillions of inhabitants, it would be impossible to stamp down the spread of this knowledge. Especially a hopeful story, that went against the grain of a tyrannical Empire.