Page 1 of 2
LastLast

CW Network oozes cheese - Does it have any clean show?

This network is overrun with cheese, no, a river of cheese, with layer upon layer of it. It's so greasy, a fry up seems a healthy choice in comparison.

Seriously, can anyone name just one running really decent show that's clean. Just at least one.

There is not, but is it a problem? Its about as wise as subscribing to an Anime only network and going: Why is this network only showing weeb stuff. CW is literally just for teen drama show. Even their own list, everything with super heroes or charmed goes under the list: drama lmao. Its tailor made for teenagers, the relationship and appearence on the show are more important then the Story. Which again is not a problem.

Plus the way the CW is setup, its show dont actually need to be making profit or even be viewed to stay on air. Once they hit a certain episode countr threshold they become profitable either way because of syndicalisation. Which is why you see cheesy show that bigger network like Fox would have dropped after 5 episode remain on the air for 8+ seasons.
    Last edited by minteK917; 2019-12-28 at 12:52 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ravenmoon View Post
    This network is overrun with cheese, no, a river of cheese, with layer upon layer of it. It's so greasy, a fry up seems a healthy choice in comparison.

Seriously, can anyone name just one running really decent show that's clean. Just at least one.
    Of the new shows, all are trash.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...artoon_Network

Just watch:
    Dexter's Laboratory
    Johnny Bravo
    Cow and Chicken
    I Am Weasel
    The Powerpuff Girls
    Ed, Edd n Eddy
    Courage the Cowardly Dog
    Time Squad
    Samurai Jack (there is also Primal from same author on adult channel)
    Grim & Evil
    Codename: Kids Next Door
    The Grim Adventures of Billy & Mandy
    Star Wars: Clone Wars (2003 TV series)
    Megas XLR
    Evil Con Carne
    Chowder
    Transformers: Animated (not the best, but still better than never crap)

The most recent decent shows would be this:
    Mighty Magiswords
    OK K.O.! Let's Be Heroes
    (and those 2 got canceled)

10+ Year Old Account
    "You" could always try TBN or The Hallmark Channel, there is even UP network
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

Supernatural.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Yunru View Post
    Of the new shows, all are trash.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...artoon_Network

Just watch:
    Dexter's Laboratory
    Johnny Bravo
    Cow and Chicken
    I Am Weasel
    The Powerpuff Girls
    Ed, Edd n Eddy
    Courage the Cowardly Dog
    Time Squad
    Samurai Jack (there is also Primal from same author on adult channel)
    Grim & Evil
    Codename: Kids Next Door
    The Grim Adventures of Billy & Mandy
    Star Wars: Clone Wars (2003 TV series)
    Megas XLR
    Evil Con Carne
    Chowder
    Transformers: Animated (not the best, but still better than never crap)

The most recent decent shows would be this:
    Mighty Magiswords
    OK K.O.! Let's Be Heroes
    (and those 2 got canceled)
    I'm going to go out on a limb and say you misread CW for Cartoon Network.

Quote Originally Posted by minteK917 View Post
    There is not, but is it a problem? Its about as wise as subscribing to an Anime only network and going: Why is this network only showing weeb stuff. CW is literally just for teen drama show. Even their own list, everything with super heroes or charmed goes under the list: drama lmao. Its tailor made for teenagers, the relationship and appearence on the show are more important then the Story. Which again is not a problem.

Plus the way the CW is setup, its show dont actually need to be making profit or even be viewed to stay on air. Once they hit a certain episode countr threshold they become profitable either way because of syndicalisation. Which is why you see cheesy show that bigger network like Fox would have dropped after 5 episode remain on the air for 8+ seasons.
    Syndicalisation? I have wondered how and why low viewer rating shows still keep going, and if not for ratings, what criteria do they then use to determine what stays or goes?

Their set up seems to suggest there shows have a limited budget on the low side too, which means we cant expect a jump in quality any time soon

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Funkenstein View Post
    Supernatural.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes I think he did, my kid days ended in the 00s (although some would argue that), but CN Clone Wars ranks as my coolest SW series,

10+ Year Old Account
    The cheese is like 80% of the reason anyone even watches CW shows. Without it, you just have mediocre acting and the same, recycled plots.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Funkenstein View Post
    Supernatural.

- - - Updated - - -

Lol thought I was the only one confused.

Syndicalisation? I have wondered how and why low viewer rating shows still keep going, and if not for ratings, what criteria do they then use to determine what stays or goes?

Their set up seems to suggest there shows have a limited budget on the low side too, which means we cant expect a jump in quality any time soon,
    syndication is why you see things like the simpsons or any other show with longrunning episodes airing reruns on other channels

basically once a tv show reaches the threshold for syndication it will continually make money for years and years after the fact (typically 100 episodes)

ALL shows get bought somewhere even low rated ones.

"In the U.S. television industry, 100 episodes is the traditional threshold for a television series to enter syndicated reruns.[1][2][3] One hundred episodes are advantageous for stripped syndication because it allows for 20 weeks of weekday reruns (depending on the number of episodes produced once the program debuts in syndication) without repeating an episode, and such shows can be sold for higher per-episode pricing."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/100_episodes

some shows have literally been created for syndication getting huge episode orders right off the bat (although this is rare and typically only happens for very low budget shows like sitcoms)

his post though is slightly exaggerated yes cw shows arent as popular as the big networks and yes if a show is CLOSE to syndication and is nolonger making a profit they will typically give it a final season in order to reach that point (and cw almost NEVER cancels a show past 2 seasons without a final season period)

but the arrowverse and most of the cw shows on air make them a profit.

ratings arent compared to overall tv. each channel, each sub service etc have different thresholds of profitability, depending on demographic, average ratings for the network etc.

no one looks at the nielson data and says "this cw show gets less ratings than this fox show lets cancel it" the way it works is more like "all our shows get a median rating of around x this new show is too far below that to get renewed so were gonna cancel it, also x show is in its fourth season and is starting to dip below that median so next season will be its last"

the cw gets lower ratings as a whole than the other big broadcast channels so shows need less ratings to be profitable because they have less competition on the network.

for example some people tried to say batwomans ratings were "awful" when it premiered but when you actually compare it to all the other cw shows its middle of the pack which actually means its doing fine

all of the cw shows are also a lot cheaper to make than the other networks as well, they almost exclusively film in canada and have much lower budgets compared to say a fox show filming in la
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

@Immitis Great explanation, thanks.

I guess it's different for every network, different if it's cable or national, different if it's streaming too, and I guess everyone gathers therir own data right?

@Immitis Great explanation, thanks.

I guess it's different for every network, different if it's cable or national, different if it's streaming too, and I guess everyone gathers therir own data right?
    for broadcast/cable tv the main and virtually only data that matters is live+3 nielson data (the amount of people who have nielson boxes and watch the show either live or recorded with ads in the first 3 days of broadcast) and typically the 18 - 30 demographic (obviously some channels/shows have different demos but thats the main one most go for as it brings the best advertisement money)

if you dont have a nielson box you arent counted at all so your viewing doesnt matter and if you do but dont watch it within 3 days your views are supplementary/irrelevant some companies will spin live+6 and whatnot data or overseas viewing/post season views on streaming services but this is largely just good marketing and doesnt actually matter to whether a show will get renewed

for streaming or premium services its much different. typically if you are subscribed and watch a show at least relatively within the window of release you're counted. this is because they dont rely on ads. if a show gathers enough new subs or enough current subscribers watch it and its deemed to promote growth/retention of current subs and its budget isnt too high its typically safe (for example most hbo shows ratings are low on premier but that doesnt matter because people pay for hbo and many shows get plenty of views on reruns or views on hbo go)

all of these factors and threshold for success can change based off of budget and other factors (a licensed show must get higher ratings to compete with a network owned show because the network has to pay a fee for that ip and give a portion of the funds to the owner ex: marvels netflix shows are more expensive than say stranger things because netflix owns stranger things but has to pay a fee for the rights to make daredevil so more people need to watch daredevil than stranger things for netflix to consider it worth the costs)
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

5+ Year Old Account
    I gave up watching television a long time ago for the reason of its cheese and exaggerated sexualization of everything. The separation was hard, I remember-- about ten years ago. Lot's of withdrawal and boredom. But after about 3 months I was finding other things to replace it: job, games, exercise, and developing new hobbies. Might be worth trying.

On the other hand, without knowing your age range, it's hard to suggest replacement TV shows. Something more cerebral maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    all of these factors and threshold for success can change based off of budget and other factors (a licensed show must get higher ratings to compete with a network owned show because the network has to pay a fee for that ip and give a portion of the funds to the owner ex: marvels netflix shows are more expensive than say stranger things because netflix owns stranger things but has to pay a fee for the rights to make daredevil so more people need to watch daredevil than stranger things for netflix to consider it worth the costs)
    Sorry you screwed up here slightly. In broadcast/cable network stuff the studio is only paid a percentage of its costs and its not 100%. Typically its 70% when the studio retains all the rights. That means the actual 1st run cost for a non-network owned show is LESS than than one done in house, at least initially. The actual reason the nets prefer to go with self-owned shows is that they own the ancillary rights. Those rights are much more profitable than what broadcast generates.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think the only CW show I've seen is iZombie, and I watched it on netflix so I didn't know which network it aired on. Actually don't think I'd ever even heard of CW at the time either.
    give up dat booty
    Quote Originally Posted by Pendra View Post
    <3
    For the matriarchy.

I've always liked Agents of SHIELD. Chloe Bennet <3 The Netflix Marvel shows are good too but they all ended </3

I like the Arrowverse mostly. It has its ups and downs but I'm generally satisfied with it. I'm hoping Batwoman improves.

I also like The 100. It can be a bit grating at times but makes up for it with batshit insanity. Its a show that's apocalyptic and damn serious about delivering that.

iZombie is easily the best cooking show on TV. Also its a pretty decent crime procedural and Rose McIver is fantastic.

But I thought Americans luv cheese on everything? Seriously though, no, it's a teen demo station, cheese is a pretty fair assessment of everything I've seen come out of it. Maybe Black Lightning, but I've probably not watched enough to be sure about that.

Quote Originally Posted by Woadnson View Post
    But I thought Americans luv cheese on everything? Seriously though, no, it's a teen demo station, cheese is a pretty fair assessment of everything I've seen come out of it. Maybe Black Lightning, but I've probably not watched enough to be sure about that.
    I guess their shows would appeal to 13-20 year olds - primarily teenagers - who grew up in the modern public school environment. I can't see anyone outside of that demographic liking those shows.

Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    I guess their shows would appeal to 13-20 year olds - primarily teenagers - who grew up in the modern public school environment. I can't see anyone outside of that demographic liking those shows.
    Well, i'm certainly past that age range, i did use to like them a lot more earlier, but i did notice after watching a few, they all had teh same feel to them, and the same junk mindset/ethic.

It's not only cheese, it's bad cheese...biggest offenders are Vampire Diary Series and its spin offs - did like some of the Arrowverse at first though and gnerally loved the genre they dabble in the most, though i think i'm well sick of it inow - but that's more based on their quality.

ther eisn't much sci'fi/fantasy/superhero otuside CW and Syfy channelss, and those 2 have a lot of trashy stuff.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, i'm certainly past that age range, i did use to like them a lot more earlier, but i did notice after watching a few, they all had teh same feel to them, and the same junk mindset/ethic.

It's not only cheese, it's bad cheese...biggest offenders are Vampire Diary Series and its spin offs - did like some of the Arrowverse at first though and gnerally loved the genre they dabble in the most, though i think i'm well sick of it inow - but that's more based on their quality.

ther eisn't much sci'fi/fantasy/superhero otuside CW and Syfy channelss, and those 2 have a lot of trashy stuff.
    Honestly, I think the biggest problem is they don't lean into the cheese nearly enough most of the time. By far the CW series I enjoy the most and the only ones I still watch and The 100 and Legends of Tomorrow and it is because both, especially Legends, go full on cheese and are all the better for it. The Flash was like that for the first season or two but then, like most CW series, just became another teen/ young adult crappy romance series with some vaguely supernatural and/or comic book stuff sprinkled on top.

Both The 100 and Legends had this at the start as well, but quickly dropped it for the most part with The 100 leaning into the post-apocalyptic lets kill everyone vibe while Legends of Tomorrow just went bat-shit crazy. It really feels like they just took all the crazy ideas the writers may have wanted to try on the other Arrowverse series but thought they would be too outlandish and just put them all into that single series. Ideas like "lets turn the main cast into puppets for an episode" or "lets defeat the season's big bad by having a talking blue teddy bear turn into a giant avatar of power and body-slam him." It is so gloriously over the top silly and tons of fun.