Page 19 of 29 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'm at work unfortunately, since it looks like Oklahoma is getting embarrassed. Would love to see it

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    I'm at work unfortunately, since it looks like Oklahoma is getting embarrassed. Would love to see it
    It's pretty much what we thought it would be. Oklahoma is just out classed. It doesn't help that they have five key players out now (3 suspend, 1 injure before game start; now one ejected for targeting).

It's basically the Joe Burrow Heisman show.

10+ Year Old Account
    Poor Oklahoma, it's not even half-time yet...
    Quote Originally Posted by Venant View Post
    I think many people will agree that genocide can be justified.

Curious how many times we will hear about how the 1 missed PI call (in the first quarter?) caused them to lose

10+ Year Old Account
    Finally they they start to call the holdings on Oklahoma, just like I said.
    Quote Originally Posted by Venant View Post
    I think many people will agree that genocide can be justified.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Serpha View Post
    Finally they they start to call the holdings on Oklahoma, just like I said.
    Lol, yeah - they are. Jesus, gonna be 49-14 at the half.

- - - Updated - - -

Wonder if they are going to sideline Burrow in the second half. Seems like the Glee Club could score on Oklahoma today. Maybe give the tuba player some snaps.

- - - Updated - - -

Jesus, what a slaughter. As expected, Oklahoma is over rated.

10+ Year Old Account
    An enjoyable mauling of Oklahoma, hopefully the late game is more entertaining since I don't care about either team.
    /s

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Ohio State is shutting out Clemson (what a shock) but Clemson is keeping Ohio State close so far. Interesting.

- - - Updated - - -

Clemson takes the lead! What a stupid fucking penalty on Ohio State (not the call, that OSU committed it). Fired up the entire drive.

Great game.

Leaning into a tackle is called targeting? Are you kidding me? 24 put his helmet to the left and the QB leaned into it.

This was a blowout for OSU, then they had that cheap call. It must be really hard for the staff/fans of OSU to see them get cheated out of a bowl game like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrod View Post
    The announcer called it right - you lead headfirst into a tackle going up high on a quarterback, it's your fault. They actually said something like, "Launch yourself head first using your whole body down to your toes."

Just like the guy who injured himself running into the kicker and got called for a personal foul. A dumb play that looms large, but not a bad call.
    Watch it again. The QB braced for impact, by lowering his own helmet into the tackler. The dude is 6'6, the Saftey is like 6'0? It wasn't intentional on either players part, but it wasn't a targeting call. And it didn't call for one of the best players on the team to get ejected.

Quote Originally Posted by agentsi View Post
    Watch it again. The QB braced for impact, by lowering his own helmet into the tackler. The dude is 6'6, the Saftey is like 6'0? It wasn't intentional on either players part, but it wasn't a targeting call. And it didn't call for one of the best players on the team to get ejected.
    The defender led with the crown of his helmet. Regardless of where the quarterback is hit, that's targeting.

Can you agree that the tackler led with his head?
    Have you ever, even once, ever, played football? From the time your 4-5 in Peewee, through High school, you always head first, eyes up, lead with your helmet. Sometimes your head hits their legs, their chest, or it's your shoulder. But that is how you tackle. You lead and wrap up. You can't run in and try to hug the guy.

Just watched it again, as the defender is coming, the QB lowers and turns forcing the helmet to helmet. That is a textbook tackle. Head down, arms out, waiting to wrap up.

- - - Updated - - -

The rule that is applicable here says targeting is:

"Lowering the head before attacking by initiating forcible contact with the crown of his helmet."

Watch it again, the helmet hits the Qbs arm/shoulder pads before it makes contact with the QBs helmet.

Have you ever, even once, ever, played football? From the time your 4-5 in Peewee, through High school, you always head first, eyes up, lead with your helmet. Sometimes your head hits their legs, their chest, or it's your shoulder. But that is how you tackle. You lead and wrap up. You can't run in and try to hug the guy.

Just watched it again, as the defender is coming, the QB lowers and turns forcing the helmet to helmet. That is a textbook tackle. Head down, arms out, waiting to wrap up.

- - - Updated - - -

Watch it again, the helmet hits the Qbs arm/shoulder pads before it makes contact with the QBs helmet.
    It does not matter where he hits the quarterback. By your own statement (head first, eyes up), the tackle is illegal. He clearly led with the crown of the helmet which is targeting in all circumstances.

Quote Originally Posted by sibut View Post
    Clemson played no one all season; there are zero arguments to put them at #2. Not that I'd expect much else from the #1 OSU hater on the forum tho.
    Looks like they’re #2. I guess they got that marquee win you’re saying they didn’t have even though they haven’t lost in two years.

I’m glad we got the final we deserve. Dabo and Ed O are two of my favorite coaches in cfp.
    Last edited by muto; 2019-12-29 at 05:21 AM.

Not sure what your point is... they weren't ranked #2 because they hadn't proven themselves this year, and it was pretty much a slam dunk putting OSU ahead of them. The rankings reflect what you've accomplished, not necessarily who the better team is.
    Which is dumb considering they have mostly the same players they had last year when they won it all. I guess winning 28 straight didn’t mean anything to the committee.

They were gifted a win. This drive lead to a TD, but a bad call, again, by SEC refs. It was reviewed, which is the worst part of the call. He took 4 clear steps with possession, and they still called it in an incomplete pass. You only need to take 3 steps for that to be the call. SEC refs are just awful.

https://247sports.com/college/ohio-s...FU9MNgnFK9bzTs

Tackling form has changed over the last decade, that much is probably true. Head down, eyes up, you can twist the words however you want to make it fit your narrative. But both can be done at the same time. And when you go to make contact, it is very common to brace for impact and look down. It's a natural reaction. It wasn't targeting, their dude even said it when they were first reviewing the call.
    Last edited by agentsi; 2019-12-29 at 06:12 AM.

The rule says that he needs to be able to make a move common to the game, like "pitching the ball". As he's still bringing his arms in from catching the ball at the time it got knocked out, I can see where the refs are coming from. Tough call though.

I know you're not going to agree but that's fine. To me, the targeting call is obviously correct, and the fumble/incompletion could go either way. It seems to me that with the targeting penalty you're arguing against the rule because it's basically a textbook application of the rule as written.
    I'm just saying from playing, even at a D3 school, and watching football all my life. That is a none call. You can't lean into it. The tackler cannot adjust fast enough to prevent that contact. And targeting is a fairly new rule as well.

And see, this is where your bias is showing. You want to argue about a targeting call, that had conflicting evidence, and room for discussion, sure, let's talk about it. But the fumble/incomplete pass is an open / shut case. The player caught the ball, showed possession while taking 4 steps, the ball came out on the 5th. 100% a fumble. Textbook. So to say it could go either way is 100% bullshit.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Great game - the Clemson coach said it best: what a championship matchup. I was definitely wrong about Clemson. The CFP final should be very good.

I'm just saying from playing, even at a D3 school, and watching football all my life. That is a none call. You can't lean into it. The tackler cannot adjust fast enough to prevent that contact. And targeting is a fairly new rule as well.

And see, this is where your bias is showing. You want to argue about a targeting call, that had conflicting evidence, and room for discussion, sure, let's talk about it. But the fumble/incomplete pass is an open / shut case. The player caught the ball, showed possession while taking 4 steps, the ball came out on the 5th. 100% a fumble. Textbook. So to say it could go either way is 100% bullshit.
    I couldn't care less about either of these teams. It was targeting.

I played HS football in the 90s, and was taught to lead with your head down. Tackling form has specifically changed since then to keep your head up and lead with your shoulder. It's literally the biggest change in tackling since they said you couldn't chop block or crack back. It's been fairly widespread as a rule in both CFB and the NFL, so IDK how you have an issue with it suddenly here.

Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    I couldn't care less about either of these teams. It was targeting.

I played HS football in the 90s, and was taught to lead with your head down. Tackling form has specifically changed since then to keep your head up and lead with your shoulder. It's literally the biggest change in tackling since they said you couldn't chop block or crack back. It's been fairly widespread as a rule in both CFB and the NFL, so IDK how you have an issue with it suddenly here.
    https://247sports.com/college/ohio-s...7/#141241747_1

Folks who know better than us, half the talk shows today. All in agreeance. OSU was robbed, it was not the correct call for targeting. If the person being tackled lowers their head into it, that is not the tackler's fault. Also, Wade's helmet was slight to the left of the QB, if the QB doesn't lower his own helmet, wade makes the first contact with a shoulder pad.