Poll: Do you Support Assault Weapons Ban?

Quote Originally Posted by Fahrenheit View Post
    They don’t serve a good purpose in civilian life in my opinion. Frankly, I think folks should be limited to shotguns, both breach and pump. Bolt action rifles with capacity under 10 rounds, and pistols/revolvers.

I just don’t think it’s necessary for every average Joe 6 pack with $700 and no felonies to have a weapon capable of putting out 60+ rounds in a min with little to no training.
    I disagree with banning them.
    You also didn't answer my question of "What will that accomplish?"

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/west-fr...es-2019-12-29/
    A witness told CBS Dallas / Fort Worth the gunman shot someone with a shotgun during communion and that he was then taken down by another church member. According to the witness, another church member shot the suspect.
    A good reason for concealed carry, as if that church goer was not also armed I would guess the body count would be far higher.

Quote Originally Posted by Deus Mortis View Post
    https://www.cbsnews.com/news/west-fr...es-2019-12-29/

A good reason for concealed carry, as if that church goer was not also armed I would guess the body count would be far higher.
    Good guy with a gun.

You're still going to have takes like these in spite of the facts here:

In this person's view, had guns been disallowed in church, the shooter would have simply given up and walked away. She's directly criticizing the very scenario that made it possible for lives to be saved.

They don’t serve a good purpose in civilian life in my opinion. Frankly, I think folks should be limited to shotguns, both breach and pump. Bolt action rifles with capacity under 10 rounds, and pistols/revolvers.

I just don’t think it’s necessary for every average Joe 6 pack with $700 and no felonies to have a weapon capable of putting out 60+ rounds in a min with little to no training.
    I don't really know why "necessary" is what you think is the relevant criterion for determining whether something is a right or not. It's not strictly necessary that I be able to purchase a 12% ABV barrel-aged stout, but I get to because I like them, so I go right ahead and purchase them.

Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    Suspect Arrested in New York Hanukkah Stabbing Attack
    https://www.wsj.com/articles/five-st...ty-11577598858
    On the political side of it (because of course there's a political side to it), I was frustrated to read the takes by Blue Checks that because Trump has done so much to focus on Jews, it has angered the people that hate Jews even further, and therefore Trump bears some responsibility.

It's almost like saying that condemning white supremacy has angered white supremacists, and therefore anyone condemning white supremacy bears some responsibility for the white supremacist violence that follows.

We've all lost our minds.

Quote Originally Posted by Dacien View Post
    Good guy with a gun.

You're still going to have takes like these in spite of the facts here:

In this person's view, had guns been disallowed in church, the shooter would have simply given up and walked away. She's directly criticizing the very scenario that made it possible for lives to be saved.
    A tweet proving that Shannon Watts is genuinely one of the stupidest fucking idiots on the planet walking. The only gun revoking that policy would have removed from the church is the one that STOPPED THE ATTACK. What an ignorant cow.

I mean, can't help but notice that this attack with a rifle was less deadly than one with a machete less than two days earlier... because it was cut short by armed opposition, period. No other explanation.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormdash View Post
    A tweet proving that Shannon Watts is genuinely one of the stupidest fucking idiots on the planet walking. The only gun revoking that policy would have removed from the church is the one that STOPPED THE ATTACK. What an ignorant cow.

I mean, can't help but notice that this attack with a rifle was less deadly than one with a machete less than two days earlier... because it was cut short by armed opposition, period. No other explanation.
    The craziest tweet I've read in a long while, completely detached from reality. It's almost like she had a rough draft at the ready and deployed it without even looking at the event in question. That's the most charitable explanation I can offer.

- - - Updated - - -

True; though “on the ground” the Orthodox Jews I know love Trump... though not so much his personality.

Trump has a lot of support... currently...

The Real Reason Orthodox Jews Love Trump (Hint: It’s Not Israel)
    https://forward.com/opinion/436181/t...-hint-its-not/
    Reminds me yet again of the tweet I read that said, paraphrasing, "If Trump was 50% less Trumpy, he'd cruise to re-election."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    You also didn't answer my question of "What will that accomplish?"
    Lessening the firepower available to your average person, similar to how fully automatic weapons are all but banned, its just the natural extension of that. Truth be told I wouldn’t care if semiautomatic pistols were done away with either, but I know they are even more ubiquitous than AR platforms, by far.

I think the 2A is antiquated and would like to see it seriously amended to represent modern times. Admittedly that’s extremely unlikely.
    Rudimentary creatures of blood and flesh. You touch my mind, fumbling in ignorance, incapable of understanding.
    You exist because we allow it, and you will end because we demand it.

Sovereign
    Mass Effect

15+ Year Old Account
    Lessening the firepower available to your average person, similar to how fully automatic weapons are all but banned, its just the natural extension of that. Truth be told I wouldn’t care if semiautomatic pistols were done away with either, but I know they are even more ubiquitous than AR platforms, by far.

I think the 2A is antiquated and would like to see it seriously amended to represent modern times. Admittedly that’s extremely unlikely.
    Hey look more useless fudd speak if you believe this why dont you get rid of your guns and stop being a hippocrate
    Well then get your shit together.
    Get it all together. And put it in a backpack. All your shit. So it’s together. And if you gotta take it somewhere, take it somewhere, you know, take it to the shit store and sell it, or put it in a shit museum, I don’t care what you do, you just gotta get it together.
    Get your shit together

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Armed worshippers quickly kill gunman after fatal shooting at Fort Worth-area church
    https://www.star-telegram.com/news/l...238807963.html

Graphic security footage at that link...
    I saw that on the news. Those armed church goers saved no telling how many lives today. And another interesting point is, the shooter used a shotgun. The average respond time for the police to get to a crime scene is 8 mins. Depending on how close the patrol cars are to the scene. In 8 mins, a shooter can kill several people.

One thing which I saw in the video which showed the one guy he shot, appeared to be reaching for a firearm or something? If so, very dangerous to try to draw a weapon when a shooter has the drop on you. You need to await for a opening. But in that case, may not have made any difference if he was that close to the shooter and he meant to just kill random people in the church. I also saw some others in the crowd with weapons drawn.

I wonder if a armed person had been at the Jewish machete attack would have been able to stop the attacker. I think so. However the problem people will have in New York is getting a permit to carry a firearm. It is not near as easy as it is in Texas. As the State of New York is a may issue one.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dacien View Post

- - - Updated - - -

Reminds me yet again of the tweet I read that said, paraphrasing, "If Trump was 50% less Trumpy, he'd cruise to re-election."
    Considering how crazy the Democrat party is acting lately, he may anyway.
    Last edited by Ghostpanther; 2019-12-30 at 12:40 AM.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Roxinius View Post
    Hey look more useless fudd speak if you believe this why dont you get rid of your guns and stop being a hippocrate
    Only have one. Benelli SuperNova, have it cruiser ready with a few shells of birdshot and a buckshot shell behind.

Though imagine I’ll (and maybe my brother, not sure he’ll want any though) will inherit dozens more when our father passes, he’s a bit of a nut. I’ll probably sell them though.

Also, you spelled hypocrite wrong.
    Last edited by Fahrenheit; 2019-12-30 at 12:21 AM.
    Rudimentary creatures of blood and flesh. You touch my mind, fumbling in ignorance, incapable of understanding.
    You exist because we allow it, and you will end because we demand it.

Sovereign
    Mass Effect

15+ Year Old Account
    Only have one. Benelli SuperNova, have it cruiser ready with a few shells of birdshot and a buckshot shell behind.

Though imagine I’ll (and maybe my brother, not sure he’ll want any though) will inherit dozens more when our father passes, he’s a bit of a nut. I’ll probably sell them though.

Also, you spelled hypocrite wrong.
    Doesn't make you any less of one with your beliefs owning any type of firearm realistically you arent even a fudd you're just an idiot
    Last edited by Citizen T; 2019-12-30 at 12:49 AM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Well then get your shit together.
    Get it all together. And put it in a backpack. All your shit. So it’s together. And if you gotta take it somewhere, take it somewhere, you know, take it to the shit store and sell it, or put it in a shit museum, I don’t care what you do, you just gotta get it together.
    Get your shit together

10+ Year Old Account
    In NY, yeah, though there is a movement building in the community to train congregants to use firearms and get training. There are even groups that go to shooting ranges to get some experience, etc. I’m thinking of joining the group, though I don’t have a gun of my own...yet...(I’ve been thinking about it.)

I think in the long run, this will be the norm...

- - - Updated - - -

That’s true also...
    The way I understand it ( and I may be wrong ) in New York, a applicant has to show what the state considers good reasons for wanting a conceal carry permit. Just a " it is my Constitutional right to ", will not get you one. But with the two recently attacks now on the Jewish community, I would say they have good reasons. But I think every law abiding citizen in the US has good reasons. The states which require such nonsense, should be challenged in the courts. All the way to the Supreme Court if necessary.

I am thankful I live in a shall issue State.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    The way I understand it ( and I may be wrong ) in New York, a applicant has to show what the state considers good reasons for wanting a conceal carry permit. Just a " it is my Constitutional right to ", will not get you one. But with the two recently attacks now on the Jewish community, I would say they have good reasons. But I think every law abiding citizen in the US has good reasons. The states which require such nonsense, should be challenged in the courts. All the way to the Supreme Court if necessary.

I am thankful I live in a shall issue State.
    There are many differences between NYC and NY-State laws also, though I'm not current on them. NY-State has some rural areas.

Just buy a nice lever action rifle and watch some cowboy movies and you can outshoot lots of folks in a nice polite package.
    "I only feel two things Gary, nothing, and nothingness."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Svifnymr View Post
    There are many differences between NYC and NY-State laws also, though I'm not current on them. NY-State has some rural areas.

Just buy a nice lever action rifle and watch some cowboy movies and you can outshoot lots of folks in a nice polite package.
    Lol! Hard to carry a lever action rifle concealed. Plus it would be illegal anyway. I still think New York state itself is a May issue one. Which basically means you may not get a carry conceal permit just because you want one for self defense even if you have a clean record.

Lol! Hard to carry a lever action rifle concealed. Plus it would be illegal anyway. I still think New York state itself is a May issue one. Which basically means you may not get a carry conceal permit just because you want one for self defense even if you have a clean record.
    Note that it's not just concealed carry that's restricted statewide - owning any handgun in New York requires a pistol permit. I was just recently chatting with Upstate family that were looking to get a revolver to carry while snowshoeing, snowmobiling, and other activities in case of emergencies with wildlife and they were told they were looking at ~3-6 months of waiting and an interview with sheriffs prior to getting a pistol. Not for concealed carry, for any ownership at all.

Pretty good example of how New York City's culture trolls the entire state due to the high proportion of state residents that reside there.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    Note that it's not just concealed carry that's restricted statewide - owning any handgun in New York requires a pistol permit. I was just recently chatting with Upstate family that were looking to get a revolver to carry while snowshoeing, snowmobiling, and other activities in case of emergencies with wildlife and they were told they were looking at ~3-6 months of waiting and an interview with sheriffs prior to getting a pistol. Not for concealed carry, for any ownership at all.

Pretty good example of how New York City's culture trolls the entire state due to the high proportion of state residents that reside there.
    Wow. Did not realize that. That is bullshit and appears to violate the Constitution. Such laws need to be challenged. Wonder if they have been?

And yes, you are dead on about how NYC controls the state level politics. It is among some states I would never live in.

Armed worshippers quickly kill gunman after fatal shooting at Fort Worth-area church
    https://www.star-telegram.com/news/l...238807963.html

Graphic security footage at that link...
    The video footage is being taken down from several sites. I wonder why...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    The video footage is being taken down from several sites. I wonder why...
    For one, it is pretty graphic ( tho we see much worse all the time in movies ) and some do not want to reveal how a firearm in the hands of normal everyday citizens can prevent deaths. Yes, one can say viewers know a movie is not real at the time. But some movies of violence can be very realistic of how it goes down in real life. Saving Private Ryan would be one example.

For one, it is pretty graphic ( tho we see much worse all the time in movies ) and some do not want to reveal how a firearm in the hands of normal everyday citizens can prevent deaths. Yes, one can say viewers know a movie is not real at the time. But some movies of violence can be very realistic of how it goes down in real life. Saving Private Ryan would be one example.
    There is nothing graphic about it. You can't see any blood.

You could make that arguement with the New Zealand Church shooting, but not here.