Poll: Rate the movie STAR WARS™: The Rise of Skywalker™

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Quote Originally Posted by Minikin View Post
    i dunno about that, but what i DO know is that ending it on an odd number instead of a nice even number is flaring up my OCD
    It's only a matter of time before they make episodes X, XI, and XII. Haw haw!

7+ Year Old Account
    A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away
    Quote Originally Posted by Aurrora View Post
    Pretty sure in Bloodlines it states Luke wanted to train her but she didn't because it took too much time away from her duties as a senator, not she did all the training necessary to be a Jedi Knight but then just stopped for reasons, and then didn't use the Force until The Last Jedi because only Jedi should be allowed to use it. Or maybe it was a visual dictionary.
    Honestly, I can't recall that being said in the book.

However, I did find a quote from JJ.

https://www.cinemablend.com/new/Why-...ams-98837.html

"It was a great question, and one that we talked about quite a bit, even with Carrie [Fisher]…Why did she not take advantage of this natural Force strength that this character had. And one of the answers was that it was simply a choice that she made, that her decision to run the Rebellion, and ultimately this Resistance, and consider herself a General, as opposed to a Jedi. It was simply a choice that she took."

He doesn't talk about being a Senator, merely leading the Rebellion and Resistance. Was this what you were thinking of?
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ragedaug View Post
    I'm with you there. After hearing several folks I know talk about all the negative things they heard, I stay away from all the Star Wars channels I normally listen to. That said, I did watch a review from someone I trusted to not spoil the movie while being at least slightly positive while being able to point out there were controversial elements. (Emergency Awesome).
    Oh! I love his reviews. I have been subscribed to him a while. Rawrist also had a good review on it.
    Tiriél US-Stormrage

Signature by Shyama

Quote Originally Posted by Darththeo View Post
    More like they don't want to use the Force in that way. Again, lorewise, the Jedi use the Force for Knowledge and Defense. Healing someone is neither of those things. In addition to the Jedi being very anti-attachment and healing being a very pro-attachment thing. A lost technique does make some sense, yes ... but again, it isn't the only way too explain things.

And the way it is shown in canon, healing another puts stress/takes life energy away from the user making it a very dangerous technique.

- - - Updated - - -

So your argument it is that you don't care if it can be explained ... it will never make sense to you.
    No my arguement is it wasn't in the EU and you can't claim it was in outside sources when the sources are post Disney Wars.
    Last edited by Xath; 2019-12-30 at 04:44 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyphael View Post
    It's only a matter of time before they make episodes X, XI, and XII. Haw haw!

defo. i dont buy it for one second as the "last one". this cow has wayyy too much cash still left to go.
    Blood Elves were based on a STRONG request from a poll of Asian players where many remarked on the Horde side that they and their girlfriends wanted a non-creepy femme race to play (Source)

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    There were no "tiers". That's a fanbase conceit. There was just canon (the films and shows Lucas was involved in creating) and everything else.

Plus, it's not even relevant. If it existed in the EU, it predates the canon existence in the films, and thus it wasn't the film in question that introduced that to the universe. Legends material is always up for being included/expanded/reworked in the canon, moving forward. Pulling from that old Legends material is sticking to Star Wars lore and content, rather than creating something previously unheard-of that could break lore.

- - - Updated - - -

Fair enough; I'm just getting through Clone Wars now, with Disney+. It's a slog, but I'm gonna get through it. Haven't gotten to that particular episode yet, so I misremembered, though I knew Yoda and Qui-gonn were the first two to re-learn the ability.

Like the Jedi Mind Trick, to get past stormtroopers looking for certain droids?
    Like a Force Pull, so Luke could get his lightsaber and kill the Wampa?

This is how the Force has always been used in Star Wars. They added new abilities fairly regularly, as the narrative needed some new capacity.
    Lucasfilms literally said they were tiers. I get you are just here to defend Disney but try not to make it so obvious.

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Canon

Seriously stop coming armed to a gunfight with a soggy carrot it just looks bad to continually talk about things which you know nothing about.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jettisawn View Post
    Unlike the highly sophisticated people and discussion in the gaming sub-forums found here. LOL

- - - Updated - - -

That's literally every Star Wars Film.
    The sad thing is this place makes those two look like monkey's flinging feeces at each other while we argue in a congressional chamber. That's not an endorsement of this garbageheap it's a condemnation of those two flaming tire fires.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xath View Post
    Lucasfilms literally said they were tiers. I get you are just here to defend Disney but try not to make it so obvious.

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Canon

Seriously stop coming armed to a gunfight with a soggy carrot it just looks bad to continually talk about things which you know nothing about.
    You mean one employee had a personal classification system that mostly just identified the source of various material, and which by your own source was not consistently applied and was essentially straight-up ignored by Lucas himself. In the words of Chee himself, per your own link, "there is one overall continuity".

Also, my position has fuck-all to do with Disney. That you think it does says a hell of a lot more about your hostility to the new films than it says about anything I've put forward here. Nothing I've said has anything to do with Disney, and I really don't see what the ownership of the IP has to do with anything. I also like Tarantino flicks; should I hate those "because Disney" too?

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    You mean one employee had a personal classification system that mostly just identified the source of various material, and which by your own source was not consistently applied and was essentially straight-up ignored by Lucas himself. In the words of Chee himself, per your own link, "there is one overall continuity".

Also, my position has fuck-all to do with Disney. That you think it does says a hell of a lot more about your hostility to the new films than it says about anything I've put forward here. Nothing I've said has anything to do with Disney, and I really don't see what the ownership of the IP has to do with anything. I also like Tarantino flicks; should I hate those "because Disney" too?
    My "hostility" is because they decanonized everything including the Thrawn trilogy which is a much better story than the shitshow that is the sequel trilogy. It's not one person it was the official system the canon categories are at the bottom of the article.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    My "hostility" is because they decanonized everything including the Thrawn trilogy
    Thrawn trilogy was never canon. But Disney canonized Thrawn, you should thank them for that.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

No my arguement is it wasn't in the EU and you can't claim it was in outside sources when the sources are post Disney Wars.
    It was the flavour and lore behind the Jedi Sage healing in SW:TOR... so it was in the EU, strictly speaking. It was also in some books too, the ability to heal with the Force.
    Cheerful lack of self-preservation

Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    Thrawn trilogy was never canon. But Disney canonized Thrawn, you should thank them for that.
    True true, it hadn't been ritually baptized in the holy waters of Lake Ewok under the light of the full moon.

So with Disney stating nothing from the comics, novels, and video games are canon, does that mean anything they use from those sources would be plagiarism?

Quote Originally Posted by Eapoe View Post
    So with Disney stating nothing from the comics, novels, and video games are canon, does that mean anything they use from those sources would be plagiarism?
    The pre-2014ish stuff isn't canon. Post-creation of Legends, everything henceforce created is canon, along with the first 6 movies and Clone wars. And yes they will (and have) draw from Legends stuff.

In my opinion, they're already running into a big canon issue because of the Comic Booker series, which is an undisciplined mess, that would be perfectly fine as a non-canon comic book but is too "comic booky" to be on the same canon as, say, the Mandalorian or Rebels or Rogue One. It's the same problem with the video games, like Fallen Jedi and Battlefront 1 / 2, and the mobile games, which are all "canon".

In my view, they should change it again so the only thing Canon are:
    The 9 Skywalker saga movies
    Rogue One
    Solo
    The Clone Wars animated series and movie
    The Rebels Animated Series
    Resistance Animated series
    the Mandalorian
    A very select number of books (Tarkin, Thrawn... books like that)

Games, comic books and, most books, and tie-in merchandise should never be "canon" at all. If it isn't made for screen or carefully controled by the Lucas Film Creative Comittee, it doesn't count.

Because really the Star Wars comic book just had planet-sized Rock Monsters.

Quote Originally Posted by Eapoe View Post
    There are some cases of plagiarism in the case of the new Star Wars comics, where comic artists outright copied fan designs of starships, and one embarassing case of not plagiarism, where a comic artist used pictures of fan-made miniatures to help him or her with her outlines, but forgot to remove the stands that are used to prop the models up, and so we ended up with A-Wings that had what looked like a beer can stuck to the bottom.

Generally speaking though, no. When you oficially publish (as in, you're being paid for to do so) within someone elses copyrighted material, in this case George Lucas's Star Wars, you sign a contract forfitting the rights to any original characters and storylines you create within said universe. It is then included into said copyright. "Star Wars and all associated characters, places etc."

Disney bought all of that from Lucas, and they can do with it whatever they want.

Didnt Disney just announce another trilogy to be started in 2022, or something to that effect? Could have sworn i saw it.

Even if they didnt i am confident they will keep making more movies eventually, though hopefully not a trilogy, unless Disney finds a director truly dedicated to making the star wars trilogy he always wanted.
    Generally though, i think Disney should stick ot making one-off movies. Rogue One was pretty damn good, and while Solo had flwas none of them were major enough to make me regret seeing the movie or never want to see it again. And what both those movies had were directors who felt like they had a single vision, and while they stuck to certain conventions they were willing to bend the tone and look of Star Wars to achieve it.
    The world revamp dream will never die!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sondrelk View Post
    Didnt Disney just announce another trilogy to be started in 2022, or something to that effect? Could have sworn i saw it.

Even if they didnt i am confident they will keep making more movies eventually, though hopefully not a trilogy, unless Disney finds a director truly dedicated to making the star wars trilogy he always wanted.
    Generally though, i think Disney should stick ot making one-off movies. Rogue One was pretty damn good, and while Solo had flwas none of them were major enough to make me regret seeing the movie or never want to see it again. And what both those movies had were directors who felt like they had a single vision, and while they stuck to certain conventions they were willing to bend the tone and look of Star Wars to achieve it.
    Yeah, I'm fine with them doing more trilogies as long as they create new things.
    Rogue One stands together with Empire in my book, and Solo was really enjoyable as well. And then we have The Mandalorian, which has been absolutely great.

They just need to let the Skywalker saga rest and I'm sure it will turn out fine.
    What is worth fighting for?

Quote Originally Posted by qwerty123456 View Post
    How is it petty to complain about the film when the entire plot makes no sense what so ever. You can forgive a film when some of the plot is stupid but the entire thing is another story. Why on Earth would Palpatine announce his return? Why would he have the first order build a planet sized super weapon when he already has a thousand or so ships with planet killer weapons? Why would he even build the first order when he already has a better army and its alot easier to kill everyone when they all think they are at peace? Why would he as Snoke claim he created the bond between Rey and Kylo then later on just realize they are a force Dyad? Why would a guy working for Palpatine need a dagger that only shows where you need to go next by standing in a very specific spot looking at a very specific spot of remains of the Death Star? Why would Rey killing Palpatine transfer him into her? And if thats really what he wants why would he tell her that why not just let her kill her then take her body? Why is Rey able to heal multiple things without dying but Kylo does are they not a Force Dyad? Are they not supposed to both be insanely powerful? How is 30-40 years of peace after over a thousand bringing balance to the force?

I could suspend my disbelief if any one or two things above occurred but when all that and more does it kinda ruins the whole story.
    Probably because Palpatine's goal wasn't to kill everyone? I think you misunderstood his goal, he never want to kill everyone. He wanted to inflict fear on them to force them to submit to his rule again.

7+ Year Old Account
    A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away
    Could you reword that into a way that makes some semblance of sense?

Because it again just seems you are just stating that you don't care for explanations unless it meets your pre-determined qualifications of an explanation.
    Last edited by Darththeo; 2019-12-30 at 11:19 AM.
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

Quote Originally Posted by Skroe View Post
    Because really the Star Wars comic book just had planet-sized Rock Monsters.
    Well.. looking at IX I don't see how that is an issue anymore. The power levels keep doing tripple backflips over sharks with planet destroying lasers. Conjuring a fleet of micro-deathstar ships out of nowhere (including crew) and good ol' Palpie electrocuting an enemy fleet with laser precision is also on the same level as Force Unleashed's Starkiller, so I personally don't see any reason to exclude stuff now - except for gross breaches of continuity.
    You are welcome, Metzen. I hope you won't fuck up my underground expansion idea.

5+ Year Old Account
    xD