Society is far away from accepting Gamer's life.

So I met a guy who was a gamer, he had just finished a PHD had an appartement rented with a wife n stuff, but was having a lot of trouble with families of both sides about his gaming life, like 3-4 hours in the afternoon he plays games non stop, and others were against it because they thought he should instead spend time with them. I also felt the thing that with my wife, cause I cant just game freely, nor with friends and family, because simply they don't play these games that I constantly play. This has been my problem since highschool, I chose friends around WoW and Dota, I went out for it to game cafes and pubs, I traveled for them and everything. But we dont choose family, love and relationship over it, right? This other guy was all lost and crazy, he wanted to divorce.

Do you guys think in 2020, gaming will be treated as an accepted activity in society?

Who cares what other think anyways? stop wasting your time doing that and just have fun.
    Do you hear the voices too?

10+ Year Old Account
    Enjoy doing what you like, because if you don't then you'll end up depressed and doing worse things than playing video games. What makes you happy may not make others happy, and what makes them happy may not make you happy. If they can't accept that then that's their problem, not yours. There's much worse activities you can be doing in your spare time than play video games.

That's not an anti-game thing - if someone spends 3-4 hours doing just about any recreational activity every day, they're going to bump into pushback from significant others and wind up losing some friends because of it. Sure, on weekends you can burn that much time, but on a typical weekday, that's basically chewing up the entire evening. Even if someone did something like working out to that extent, it'd be bad for their social life.

People seem entirely ready to accept gaming as a hobby, but don't like when people make it their top priority. That seems basically fine.

every year gaming becomes more mainstream. remember, a massive amount of people who grew up through the early - mid 90's to now played many iterations of video games and multiple platforms (handheld with gameboys, consoles, PCs all at the same time) and now are becoming (or already are) adults and running the show. i don't think 2020 will be --the-- year where it's magically accepted by 90% of society but i think it's based on the generation of people who grew up with it as a cornerstone of their life experience(s).

also, who cares

Humans love to hate. Gaming is still "new", so it's easy to hate on.
    "It doesn't matter if you believe me or not but common sense doesn't really work here. You're mad, I'm mad. We're all MAD here."

10+ Year Old Account
    Spending 3-4 hours per day doing something copletely irrelevant to others would never be accepted in society, whether it be a gaming or a fishing or anything else

Uhm, yes, as others said, this has nothing to do with gaming not being accepted, but with 3-4 hours EVERY DAY doing something alone instead of spending it with your loved one(s). I mean, 3-4 hours a day is about all I have at home, the rest is spend on sleeping, working, commuting, eating, so it would be really weird to spend all that time on a hobby. Any hobby.

Also, there is no 'gamer's life'. It's a hobby, not a way of life.

Spouses tend to want to spend time with you. If you are "constantly playing," then you are more than likely not keeping up your end of the marriage. I play a lot, but I also have a full-time job, own my own company, and still manage to do most of the chores around the house. I pay attention to my kids and wife, and make sure they know they are still a priority. I also let them know that there are very specific times when I do not want to be disturbed, and it works just fine.

Choose self indulgent isolation or share your time.

Or get really lucky and find someone that has their own shit to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    That's not an anti-game thing - if someone spends 3-4 hours doing just about any recreational activity every day, they're going to bump into pushback from significant others and wind up losing some friends because of it. Sure, on weekends you can burn that much time, but on a typical weekday, that's basically chewing up the entire evening. Even if someone did something like working out to that extent, it'd be bad for their social life.

People seem entirely ready to accept gaming as a hobby, but don't like when people make it their top priority. That seems basically fine.
    Exactly. I love to mountain bike, but if I went to the trails every single day of the week, then I would be neglecting my duties (if I had a wife or kids).

I honestly do not care what society thinks of us. I consider the virtual world to be another domain entirely. We have land, space, air, water, why not cyber? The idea that people who spend many hours everyday on games as no lives is absurd and a lie. In reality, the cyber world can become just as rich in experience as the other 4 domains combined. I love being able to pick and choose what I look like, being able to raid and being the top tier guild in the server. We have friends, we do have friends in the cyber world.

Wait till we have fully immersive virtual reality, than these clowns will finally shut up, because they too will join us.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythic-RaidLead View Post
    I honestly do not care what society thinks of us. I consider the virtual world to be another domain entirely. We have land, space, air, water, why not cyber? The idea that people who spend many hours everyday on games as no lives is absurd and a lie. In reality, the cyber world can become just as rich in experience as the other 4 domains combined. I love being able to pick and choose what I look like, being able to raid and being the top tier guild in the server. We have friends, we do have friends in the cyber world.

Wait till we have fully immersive virtual reality, than these clowns will finally shut up, because they too will join us.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

This is a problem I have been talking about.

Why bother to study for a job like a Doctor that we know will age us and destroy our free time.

Why study hard to be something that could help society at your own personal cost, when you could instead stream Fortnite and make even more money for less effort?

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    That's not an anti-game thing - if someone spends 3-4 hours doing just about any recreational activity every day, they're going to bump into pushback from significant others and wind up losing some friends because of it.
    This.

Solution: don't marry someone who doesn't share your hobbies. You don't ever want to be in the situation where you have to make the choice between spending time with your wife and doing the hobby you love. If you have to make that choice multiple times per day, yeah, you've fucked up.

Secondly, the first available woman/man that pops up in your hobby life that you take an interest in, is going to appear leaps and bounds more attractive than your wife/husband and you're gonna become one of the many, many people that cheat on someone they found at their hobby.

Quote Originally Posted by SoaD009 View Post
    Exactly. I love to mountain bike, but if I went to the trails every single day of the week, then I would be neglecting my duties (if I had a wife or kids).
    The first thing you learn if you do regular sports is to min-max your free time to make room for everything. Not sure how you can even find anything bad about regular sport activitys, you avoid most civilisation illnesses with it while promote self-esteem and a positive perception of body image and self-worth.
    -

Between work, sleep, and chores/errands you only have a tiny amount of your day to yourself. Spend it how you want. Just know that if you consistently neglect people in your life they may not stay in your life.