Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Myobi View Post
    It's amazing, the guy made a fresh account just for this shit and you guys still fall for dem baits =/

As for the topic, of course there isn't "too old" for video games, you got people with 60s, 70s, 80s and still playing them, of course there will always be those you believe otherwise, but seriously, why the hell would you even care about what they think.
    Whether its a fresh account or not, this is honestly a discussion worth having - the mentality that gaming is for kids is one that a lot of people still adhere to. Even my sister - who is in her early 40's - thinks of gaming as something to 'grow out' of, and actually mocked me and her husband when we were talking about games we play.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Halyon View Post
    Pretty much this. At least videogames are more stimulating to the headmeats than just watching tv all day.
    Yep. Gaming improved my hand-eye coordination and my information retention.

15+ Year Old Account
    No, you cannot be too old.

Kids sometimes feel that Adults can be too old, but then they grow up and realize that it is not a thing.
    Here is something to believe in!

Gaming is more socially accepted than ever before in the West.

If some individual thinks you're a manchild (not sure what the term is for women), then let them, they're clearly ignorant. We don't outgrow having fun, simple as.
    My dad is over 60 and just this year picked up Mario Oddyssey, Breath of the Wild and now, RDR2.

10+ Year Old Account
    Anyone that tells you you are too old for video games is one dull person.

My Moms are in their 60s and still play games on their computer every day. They started playing my SNES when I was a kid and continued to the point where they bought themselves an N64 and a Gamecube.

I would also say that since video games haven't always been around, my generation and the one or two before me grew up with them and even then, not everyone had them either. It wasn't a 'norm' for many. But for others it's just like watching TV or listening to the radio. You grow up doing it and it just sticks with your lifestyle. There isn't anything wrong with adults and games. Besides, who's going to tell an elder person in Vegas they're too old for video poker? It's not really any different.

Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    Whether its a fresh account or not, this is honestly a discussion worth having - the mentality that gaming is for kids is one that a lot of people still adhere to. Even my sister - who is in her early 40's - thinks of gaming as something to 'grow out' of, and actually mocked me and her husband when we were talking about games we play.
    And here we also are when raid leading in wow can be put on CV's for organization skills. Hell, even COD is useful for fast problem-solving and reaction skills.

boomers are the only people now that still in that mind set that video games are for kids, anyone that grew up in a modern nation that owned a NES still plays video games and juggle family life in between.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Amathricus View Post
    My Moms are in their 60s and still play games on their computer every day. They started playing my SNES when I was a kid and continued to the point where they bought themselves an N64 and a Gamecube.

I would also say that since video games haven't always been around, my generation and the one or two before me grew up with them and even then, not everyone had them either. It wasn't a 'norm' for many. But for others it's just like watching TV or listening to the radio. You grow up doing it and it just sticks with your lifestyle. There isn't anything wrong with adults and games. Besides, who's going to tell an elder person in Vegas they're too old for video poker? It's not really any different.
    There's a gal in my guild in her 60s that mains a frost DK - she absolutely destroys stuff and does well with mechanics too. She played EQ back in the day too, pretty hardcore from the sound of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    There's a gal in my guild in her 60s that mains a frost DK - she absolutely destroys stuff and does well with mechanics too. She played EQ back in the day too, pretty hardcore from the sound of it.
    In the same vein; Shirley Curry on YT. Pretty cool lady!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mizeri View Post
    boomers are the only people now that still in that mind set that video games are for kids, anyone that grew up in a modern nation that owned a NES still plays video games and juggle family life in between.
    That's a gross oversimplification/generalization. Life really isn't as simple/linear as 'only <insert specific group of people> believe <insert specific thing>.

- - - Updated - - -

In the same vein; Shirley Curry on YT. Pretty cool lady!
    She's going to be an NPC in ES6 too!!

Pretty much this. At least videogames are more stimulating to the headmeats than just watching tv all day.
    You can still learn something by watching TV. There are educational documentaries for one that stimulate the mind (that are also entertaining), or you can even learn from movies, TV shows etc. For example, try to become a professional movie or TV show critic. This isn't something a lot of people can do well, and you need a lot of knowledge to do this right as well, like having watched hundreds of movies or TV shows prior and analyzing them all on a decent level.

It's true the brain goes through more neural activity when it plays video-games (it's active entertainment), but it's good to have passive entertainment such as movies, anime or TV shows in the down-time to relax the mind and body as well, in my opinion.

I get stressed out when playing games sometimes, cause bosses, dungeons, raids, PvP or whatever can be hard. And there are people out there to judge your gameplay if you screw up, especially in MMOs, where you often play with other people. One mistake, and you're going to get yelled at by people in your group. You need to perform your role to perfection, which isn't relaxing at all, to say the least. And even if what you are challenging isn't hard at all, and you're blowing through whatever it is, you probably still want a break from mashing those buttons and looking at the same game constantly.

All in all, I need both active and passive entertainment. My entertainment needs aren't fulfilled with only one of the two.
    Last edited by Akasha64; 2019-12-31 at 02:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by VGAddict View Post
    Are you ever "too old" for video games?
    Apparently it's 93, but congress is working to pass a law to extend that age. https://www.house.gov/representative...representative Make sure to call your representative and let them know that games are for everyone, not just people under 93.

Quote Originally Posted by VGAddict View Post
    Even though video games have become more mainstream as a hobby, there's still a stigma against adults playing them, with some people thinking you're a manchild for still playing video games as an adult.

Are you ever "too old" for video games?
    Im 39 years been playing videogames from the time i was a toddler im not stopping anytime soon!

How much time or the priority you give games should shift during different stages of your life. We have all seen the unemployed living in some family member or friends home for free person that only plays games. So you don't want to be that, even as a teen that is a bit much. My raid group in Legion had at least 5 25 - 35 year olds living in their parents or grandparents house for free, not working and spending almost all of their time sleeping and playing WoW. Those types of people give those that have their life in order and game a bad name.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

Quote Originally Posted by Dellis0991 View Post
    I'm a adult who pays bills, have my own place, and have a full time job,
    You can do all these things and still be a kid. Most jobs aren't hard. You get up, you go to work, you do what someone else tells you for 8 hours, you go home, and then you can play with your toys. If you spend your free time playing with your toys, you're still a kid. Even kids will go to school regularly. Just because you are capable of spending 8 hours a day outside of your house, doesn't mean you're an adult.

Now you could have a job and say "I like to play with dolls". Does that make the activity of playing with dolls not childish? Just because you have a job?

Imagine someone saying this to you. That they play with dolls and it's perfectly fine for an adult to do. They could say all of the exact same things.

"Just because kids play with dolls doesn't mean adults can't also"

"Some dolls are for kids, some are for adults"

"I know many adults who play with dolls"

"My grandfather also plays with dolls"

"I have many friends and they also play with dolls"

You could say all of these things, and it wouldn't change that it was a child's activity.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Super Kami Dende View Post
    There are games for Children, there are games for Adults, Equivalent.
    What you call "games for adults" are only considered for adults because of things like graphic violence. But even a game like Mortal Kombat can be played by a child just as easily. There's nothing about Mortal Kombat preventing a kid from comprehending Mortal Kombat. Just because you put tons of blood into a game doesn't mean it is now for adults, it just means you perverted a child's pastime. All games are for kids, because they are games. Adults don't play games, at least not as a major hobby.

Manchildren play WoW all day. An adult might play a round of monopoly when together with his friends, but he does it only to pass the time and relax, not because he has the identity of a gamer.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nnyco View Post
    If anything you have a mental capacity of a six-year-old if you dismiss any entertainment that also is targeted at children because you think youre "too old" for it.
    All entertainment is for children.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by King Shark View Post
    Of course not, but I was also having sex by then, boo.
    You had sex as a kid? Might want to go to the police.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Faroth View Post
    Not entirely. As C.S. Lewis once wrote:

“Critics who treat 'adult' as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.”
    C.S. Lewis was a pedophile.
    Last edited by Valkarra; 2019-12-31 at 04:28 AM.

My buddy and I always joke that we’re going to the same retirement home where we’ll still be playing video games.

If you come off as a manchild, I guarantee it's not because of video games.

No but one Ex g/f tried to tell me i was.. thus why she is an Ex
    Member: Dragon Flight Alpha Club, Member since 7/20/22

The thing about growing older is you stop giving a fuck about other people's opinions on inconsequential shit like what you do for fun. People can think I'm a man child who cares. I don't. I'm too busy enjoying myself

I don't see how playing a video game is any different than my other 75 yr old mother sitting around and playing dominoes a few times a week. What's the difference exactly?