Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Is this rly still a thing?for me personaly almost every adult I know from my parents in their 50's,to my uncle in his 60's play some kind of game,be it simple facebook stuff,online chess,its still videos games

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by cuafpr View Post
    No but one Ex g/f tried to tell me i was.. thus why she is an Ex
    my gf would never have achieved that status if she didnt share in my hobbies,I don't care how hot she is or how naugthy under the sheets she is,if we arent on the same level intellectually and in our interests it's a no go

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yelmurc View Post
    Yes and no, playing games everyday for hours at a time in adulthood should be frowned upon, playing a few hours a week is fine for any age.
    Why should it be frowned upon if i play games for a few hours every day? It´s my own damn fucking time and i can do what i want with it ffs.

Some people have really sad lives if they´re try to have a saying over others freetime...

Quote Originally Posted by Valkarra View Post
    You can do all these things and still be a kid. Most jobs aren't hard. You get up, you go to work, you do what someone else tells you for 8 hours, you go home, and then you can play with your toys. If you spend your free time playing with your toys, you're still a kid. Even kids will go to school regularly. Just because you are capable of spending 8 hours a day outside of your house, doesn't mean you're an adult.
    Well as long as you admit to also being a kid and not being a hypocrite.

Quote Originally Posted by Calfredd View Post
    Well as long as you admit to also being a kid and not being a hypocrite.
    What you said makes no sense.

You may not outgrow video games as a whole, but your tastes in them will change, as they do for everything else in life.

Quote Originally Posted by Daedius View Post
    My mother's a religious nut that thinks WoW is satanic because of the fantasy... :V
    Don’t let her know about the acquirable demon goat battle pet

10+ Year Old Account
    Im not too old for games imo. But ofc some ppl around me thinks im too old. Maaan grow up and leave it why u still playing. Its so childish. You know what just fuc# them. Just get over, this is hobby of mine.

10+ Year Old Account
    why gives a **** what someone else thinks? do the things you enjoy.

no, you cannot be 'to old' for video games.
    This is a signature, there are many like it, but this one is mine.

"Some dolls are for kids, some are for adults"
    [...]
    You could say all of these things, and it wouldn't change that it was a child's activity.
    You give the perfect example here of not understanding an activity and labeling it as childish. For example, there are people who enjoy remaking dolls - they even have it as a job. There are people who make doll fashion and display it. There are ball joint dolls a bunch of people have interest in, painting them, dressing them up, posing them.
    All these could be called "playing with dolls". An ignorant person will tell you it's a childish activity, that you're just playing with dolls.

A kid is not allowed to use the materials to remake the dolls, they're very dangerous or even toxic. That makes it an adult activity by default. A child doesn't have the required skillset or mindset to create, they literally just "play pretend with them". So there's loads of differences - in how a child approaches a doll and how an adult approaches the doll. And yes, some dolls being for adults matters a lot, kids can't handle or appreciate them. A child's mind is simple.

Let's think movies. Some are dedicated for kids. Some for adults. You can't label it as specifically for adults or for kids, so the fact that they are dedicated for each DOES make an important difference and it totally is an argument.
    Same for animations. Most are for kids, some are specifically designed for adults (I'm thinking Spawn, that was featured on HBO a few years back, but of course there are many others).

Usually the people who label things and can't have it any other way are those who are stuck on the idea that their normality is the only acceptable normality. Play and watch cartoons when you're young. Work, marry, have kids and watch movies when you're older.

Quote Originally Posted by Balrog View Post
    You may not outgrow video games as a whole, but your tastes in them will change, as they do for everything else in life.
    Agreed. I have played FPS a lot. Yet in last 10 years I always get bored to death when playing shooters

in 10 to 20 years all people aged 60 and up will be playing video games 10+ hours every day. then people will be asking 'aren't you too young to already be playing video games?'.

Quote Originally Posted by Loveliest View Post
    You give the perfect example here of not understanding an activity and labeling it as childish.
    Are you now defending playing with dolls as an adult activity?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Loveliest View Post
    Usually the people who label things and can't have it any other way are those who are stuck on the idea that their normality is the only acceptable normality.
    Uhm, something is either normal or it isn't. There is no "my normal" and "your normal" and "everybody else has a different normal". It's either the norm or it isn't.

Also too old to watch movies, play cards and chess, listen to music, read books?

Are you too old for entertainment and art?

What matters is the context and specifics: what movies, what games, etc. Is it an indication of an infantile behavior? Depending on the specifics it can be.
    Last edited by Trumpcat; 2019-12-31 at 11:09 AM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Nah it's just a boomer thing to say

All entertainment is for children.
    And yet you aren't on a crusade to stop the planet from watching soccer. Weird that.

Plus you're spending your time on a website about video games. How very adult of you.

10+ Year Old Account

C.S. Lewis was a pedophile.
    Not trying to be argumentative, you might be thinking of Lewis Carroll. C.S. Lewis (if I remember right) was a closeted gay male (or bi for the times) and into BDSM.

As someone who quoted the same quote above though, maybe I'm just feeling insecure, LOL.

I see what you're saying about identifying as a "gamer" vs. playing games. I'm murky on it. I am middle aged man, have a full time career, a family, and an assortment of hobbies/interests to include games. I do not have the time budget I did pre-family/career, etc. and would feel uncomfortable saying I was a gamer in those terms. Time spent playing games these days - mostly WoW because it's convenient and familiar - is a few hours a week. Anyway - I don't think there's anything wrong with it, but I do think labeling yourself this way is declarative and more of a social thing. I don't feel the need to label myself, or declare who I am. I am comfortable with how all that turned out.

While I don't think there's anything wrong with it per se, I think it's just a question of emphasis.

Quote Originally Posted by Tabrotar View Post
    Why should it be frowned upon if i play games for a few hours every day? It´s my own damn fucking time and i can do what i want with it ffs.

Some people have really sad lives if they´re try to have a saying over others freetime...
    You are free to do whatever you like. If you want to do crack and heroine of course you have that choice. Would you argue that people frowning on people doing crack and heroine are trying to control someone's free time? The frowned upon part is that is almost all cases, you could be doing something better with your time. If one is an adult and they play video games like it's a full time job, I willing to bet that they are choosing pleasure over responsibility. This isn't limited to video games, I've had friends who chose to live at the bar, or live on the basketball court or just sit in front of the TV every night. And in all cases, those are the same people that complain about having a boring life, trouble at home and\or mad because they work a dead in job.

The point being just because it's your right to do whatever you want, it doesn't mean it's the best choice.
    Last edited by Mad_Murdock; 2019-12-31 at 03:21 PM.

As one dev said, "Never apologize for who you are." If you're a gamer, that's who you are. Age has nothing to do with it. But depending on what other responsibilities you have in your life, then it's like any other hobby, it's how you manage it that matters.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    Of course not in general. Some games may require some fast eye/hand coordination and that will decrease as you age. But there are still tons of games old people over 80 can still enjoy and play well.

I have heard of WoW players who still play who are in their 70's.
    Yep, many many years ago in Vanilla and BC we had a raiding Lock that was in his 70s. He was a trip in Vent at the time.

'Too old' for video games? Nah. Not a thing.

Some people may grow out of playing them, which is fine. Some people may just not have the TIME for them anymore as they pursue relationships and careers etc. That's also understandable.

But too old? There's no 'too old' for video games, just as there's no 'too old' for movies, tabletop games, music, tv etc.