Thread: Buying a laptop

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bethanie View Post
    I am looking to buy a laptop, primarily for work, but also to play a few games including Wow.

It must be a laptop, as I will be travelling around Europe for the next couple of years on a 'working' holiday with my hubby, #vanlife , so obviously I don't want to be lugging a desktop PC and monitor around.

I will be using adobe premiere pro and a few other heavy duty apps, so a fast CPU and 32GB RAM are essential.

I was thinking along the lines of an MSI GT75, https://www.overclockers.co.uk/msi-g...lt-29b-ms.html, as spec wise it is pretty much spot on, and little under budget at £3,500.

Can anyone comment on the build quality and durability of this, or recommend another make? I will be purchasing the laptop in the UK.

Thanks.
    You know, you could just rent a desktop PC, I guess it would be cheaper and better than buying an overpriced piece of heating equipment slash noisemaker. And you don't need to travel with a heavy laptop!
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

Recently bought this laptop. Love it. Very light, nice build. Was also looking at 3k+ laptops, but then this beauty caught my eye
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07VF88TMR...3920290_dpLink

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunderball View Post
    That's how they market it. Budget productivity laptops.
    Precision is next step after XPS, there is nothing "budget" about it. It's a workstation hardware crammed into XPS shell. Build and internals are literally XPS, aside from CPU and GPU which are usually Xeon and Quadro. In my case CPU is still i7, but GPU is Quadro.

It costs north of what XPS costs and it is as premium as it gets. XPS is top of the line consumer laptop, while Precision is a step further into professional segment, while retaining all XPS features or upgrading them.

- - - Updated - - -

At any rate, when you are ready to toss 3.5k pounds, all this crap like MSI goes out of the window. For this money you should get the best of the best. That's why it's nonsense to even suggest MSI, IMO. We're talking Thinkpad, MacBook, XPS or Precision here.

If your work involves machine learning, then you should go for Precision or ThinkPad simply because of Quadro included with full CUDA support. Same goes for professional work, either Precision, ThinkPad or MacBook in this case.

Anything less than that - games, multimedia and business stuff - XPS or MacBook.

If you want to save money then you go for MSI and shit like that, it's their forte.

---

And yes, I keep seeing this meme of how MacBook is nothing but brand and it's a bunch of bullshit by clueless people who have some weird Apple hate fetish. Get over yourselves.
    Last edited by Gaidax; 2019-12-29 at 01:40 PM.

MSI GT75 is a perfect choice but you can even go with it's newer version i.e. MSI GT76. This is the best MSI laptop for your needs. If you wish to go with other brands, the ASUS ROG G703 is even a good choice.
    Last edited by mmcaorel; 2020-01-17 at 04:15 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Uncommon Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post
    Precision is next step after XPS, there is nothing "budget" about it. It's a workstation hardware crammed into XPS shell. Build and internals are literally XPS, aside from CPU and GPU which are usually Xeon and Quadro. In my case CPU is still i7, but GPU is Quadro.

It costs north of what XPS costs and it is as premium as it gets. XPS is top of the line consumer laptop, while Precision is a step further into professional segment, while retaining all XPS features or upgrading them.

- - - Updated - - -

At any rate, when you are ready to toss 3.5k pounds, all this crap like MSI goes out of the window. For this money you should get the best of the best. That's why it's nonsense to even suggest MSI, IMO. We're talking Thinkpad, MacBook, XPS or Precision here.

If your work involves machine learning, then you should go for Precision or ThinkPad simply because of Quadro included with full CUDA support. Same goes for professional work, either Precision, ThinkPad or MacBook in this case.

Anything less than that - games, multimedia and business stuff - XPS or MacBook.

If you want to save money then you go for MSI and shit like that, it's their forte.

---

And yes, I keep seeing this meme of how MacBook is nothing but brand and it's a bunch of bullshit by clueless people who have some weird Apple hate fetish. Get over yourselves.
    I used to actually have that weird hate for Apple until I started working for them lol, but I'm biased because of that

I agree with you totally on the mbpro16 , their are some fixes hopefully coming up for external displays etc but overall I'm decently happy with the replacement of the 15 unit

As for the windows side and OP: It all comes down to what you need for you and your situation

If you need a windows system, you have a lot of choices including bootcamping the mac and running windows as well - but overall - I prefer to stick to what I like: I have mac for work, and windows for gaming. If you need both then you'd have to make a choice on what you personally know.

I know moving over to a new OS especially a unix system like MacOS isn't always the easiest and the choice may be to just go for the top of the line windows systems - Personally as long as you get something with high end build quality from a reputable vendor IMO you can't go wrong.

For work I'm running a 27 iMac , and for gaming (Strictly gaming, WoW/Overwatch/Steam) I am running an ASUS portable ROG system. ASUS on the windows side has treated me super well since the beginning and I will likely keep using them far into the future unless I can get my discount to equal those black friday sales I get these asus rigs for every 3-4 years haha

Good luck fam!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by mmcaorel View Post
    MSI GT75 is a perfect choice but you can even go with it's newer version i.e. MSI GT76. This is the best MSI laptop for your needs. If you wish to go with other brands, the ASUS ROG G703 is even a good choice.
    Just read the post, and couldn't agree more - other than the insane weight this system has, I have been using Asus gaming stuff for the windows side for 10-15 years and the ROG stuff (knock on wood) has NEVER let me down for gaming. Besides the ASUS ROG G703 ( link here: https://www.asus.com/us/Laptops/ROG-G703/ ) I personally don't mind the more portable lesser / version: the ASUS ROG SCAR 3 ( https://www.asus.com/Laptops/ROG-Strix-SCAR-III/ ) because I don't mind a lighting more portable system in case you need it for work

Quote Originally Posted by Bethanie View Post
    I am looking to buy a laptop, primarily for work, but also to play a few games including Wow.

It must be a laptop, as I will be travelling around Europe for the next couple of years on a 'working' holiday with my hubby, #vanlife , so obviously I don't want to be lugging a desktop PC and monitor around.

I will be using adobe premiere pro and a few other heavy duty apps, so a fast CPU and 32GB RAM are essential.

I was thinking along the lines of an MSI GT75, https://www.overclockers.co.uk/msi-g...lt-29b-ms.html, as spec wise it is pretty much spot on, and little under budget at £3,500.

Can anyone comment on the build quality and durability of this, or recommend another make? I will be purchasing the laptop in the UK.

Thanks.
    Buy something DURABLE. It's gonna get tossed in a bag and needs to withstand the rigor of daily life. Frankly, most laptops are built from plastic with lots pieces you can't easily replace. I recommend a laptop built from metal. Stick with a brand that does this. Surface book 2 (until the 3 comes out) would be my choice, just be wary of 3rd party accessories and driver updates. Can get it with a 4k screen and/or gtx 1060. detachable keyboard is amazing for 'tablet mode.'