Page 1 of 3
LastLast

I feel i'm the only one not enjoying Elvui...

I love Elvui when it comes to: everything is there, you don't need to download addons that can conflict with others or keep updating everything because it's all in one...
    but... I don't like the looks and i certainly got used to blizzard's ui because it feels much more like a "medieval" UI, than what Elvui provides.

And i also hate the 2D portraits and 3D portraits are just bad, and well i hate even more not having a portrait at all, i like the blizzard's ui in that sense. It feels it's the game i want to play.

Elvui has things so much i don't know... darker, heavier? It actually hurts my eyes...

I'm i the only one feeling this?

You can disable the skins and make it more Blizzard-esque while still enjoying the improvements ElvUI brings.

Ui is a highly subjective subject man. I can't stand the prepacked ones either - much better to pick and choose a few minimal addons imo. My screen has basically nothing on it that I'm not using immediately in the moment of gameplay.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Nah nah, see... I live by one simple creed: You might catch more flies with honey, but to catch honeys you gotta be fly.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shakana View Post
    I love Elvui when it comes to: everything is there, you don't need to download addons that can conflict with others or keep updating everything because it's all in one...
    but... I don't like the looks and i certainly got used to blizzard's ui because it feels much more like a "medieval" UI, than what Elvui provides.

And i also hate the 2D portraits and 3D portraits are just bad, and well i hate even more not having a portrait at all, i like the blizzard's ui in that sense. It feels it's the game i want to play.

Elvui has things so much i don't know... darker, heavier? It actually hurts my eyes...

I tried Elvui once and hated pretty much everything about it. I just prefer entirely custom UIs though, I find it fun to make and design UIs and typically end up remaking mine every now and then.

If I could find a nice vertical xp/atrifact/honor bar and a vertical rep bar that changed based on current rep gains and opened the rep interface on click, I would drop Elv and go full custom for the other things i use it for.

But I havent found that nice tidy vertical XP bar yet.

I turn off nearly all the skins in Elv, only leave a couple like the floating head skinned to Elv.

Elvui is hideous. I use default with Weakauras and Blizzmove. Blizzmove allows you to move the ui panels.

I don't like it. Every time I hear someone say "what buff was that? I didn't see it, tell me the name so I can add it" I die a little inside. The blizz raid frames provide everything and then you go and have a bunch of addons to hinder you.
    Or "where's the group chat thing, I can't see it on this interface".

The problem with big all in one addons is that it takes ages to customize and they don't always have everything updated as needed and they hide functions in different places. They also clutter the screen with "optimal placement" and other info most people don't actually use (like target's target and stuff like that).

I feel this.. that is bad.. this is good.. me me me good... you you you bad...

I get the feeling that is what most of this thread is going to end up being.

UI just boils down to what you like. If you like it use it. If you don't like it than don't use it. People can only come at you with their preference.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Loveliest View Post
    I don't like it. Every time I hear someone say "what buff was that? I didn't see it, tell me the name so I can add it" I die a little inside. The blizz raid frames provide everything and then you go and have a bunch of addons to hinder you.
    Or "where's the group chat thing, I can't see it on this interface".

The problem with big all in one addons is that it takes ages to customize and they don't always have everything updated as needed and they hide functions in different places. They also clutter the screen with "optimal placement" and other info most people don't actually use (like target's target and stuff like that).
    If you're using a custom all in one UI and you're not prepared to invest considerable time into setting it up, to the point where you get data much more efficiently than the stock UI, then why are you even using a custom UI in the first place? Everyone knows custom UI don't look good out of the box... That's why they're so customisable... You have to invest time into personalising them to suit your taste.

It's a bit weird to complain about them out of the box...

@ OP, the chances of you being the only person who doesn't like elvui are next to nil. I'm not sure I get the point of this thread? Everyone has preferences. What's so special about that? I don't like jam but I don't make threads asking if I'm the only one who doesn't like jam because the answer is pretty obvious and it's just my preference.

I mean come on, dude.... Elvui is literally advertised as a clean modern angular UI, so of course it's not medieval themed.
    Last edited by Will; 2019-12-31 at 11:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    I'm not sure I get the point of this thread?
    I was thinking the same thing. The point of elvui is to make it look how you want it to look. If that isn't possible, use a different ui.

Quote Originally Posted by Fastlane_hellscream View Post
    I was thinking the same thing. The point of elvui is to make it look how you want it to look. If that isn't possible, use a different ui.
    Completely agree. Elv can be customized so much, even to meet the OP requests. I feel like even some who replied here just haven't dove into any customization outside of installing it and saying 'nope'

Why would you need a portrait of a target your looking at ?

10+ Year Old Account

I don't like it either, you're not alone.

I don't have it either. I have generally very few addons. I like it that way.

Don't like it? Don't use it. UI is entirely subjective, how you want it to look and the information displayed is entirely up to you. Have a friend that has only stuck with the GW2 UI and nothing else. The custom UI potential that WoW offers is IMO a huge perk to the game.
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

Pitbull + grid2 + clique > any addon combination. I swear by it.

I never wanted to use it for many many years, I continued to build my own stuff until the day I grew tired of the work, being a perfectionist took it's toll on time ultimately. That being said, I just installed elvUI that day and grew used to it over time. Certainly not perfect but it does its job and for the few things I find it lacking, I added other addons for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Chrotesque View Post
    I never wanted to use it for many many years, I continued to build my own stuff until the day I grew tired of the work, being a perfectionist took it's toll on time ultimately.
    There is a big difference between functional UI's and pretty UI's.

If your ingame performance matters and your class needs actual decision making the common ground is ACTIONBAR with MINIMAL WEAKAURA additions in a central/HUD position to keep your eyetracking to a minimum.

If you are able to apply color design guidelines (itten's color axioms etc.) to get additional meta informations color coded on your screen, you are allready ahead of the curve for a very good and functional UI.

Blizzard spend over a decade in UI improvements if you throw it all away for a pretty/clean look that is worse in every possible way while playing the game is just a noob mistake and its the starting point for many players.
    -

It's a taste thing. I use it sometimes, then get tired of it's weird modernized look and switch back to either the default with something like Leatrix Plus for very minor improvements or a UI that keeps the default look and feel (sUI was pretty good other than the movement not working), then get tired of that and swap back to ElvUI, etc. I do this really often.

Even with most skins disabled it has a look that doesn't mesh well with WoW, but a lot of what it brings is nice because it means you don't need like half a dozen extra addons if you don't want.

For Classic though I use the default with a bunch of addons that add features without changing the style, and that works out well just feels really odd for retail after using ElvUI for so long before, and customized UIs with unit frames mods (Pitbull + Bartender etc.) before that. I just no longer have the patience to do my own custom UIs so when I want something different I'll start with ElvUI as a base now.
    Last edited by Nobleshield; 2020-01-03 at 12:24 PM.

Blizz has made VAST improvements with their base UI in terms of functionality and providing information you need over the years. Quite a common occurrence nowadays I heard fellow raidmates complaining that they didn't see X debuff or Y buff on players because they're using addons, when the default Blizz raid frames almost always shows 95% of people need to know. Now, occasionally not enough information is shown for people's liking or they want information that's harder to see from the default UI, but Weakauras typically take care of most of this.

Downside of addons, such as ElvUI, is that you're at the mercy of the writers of the addon. Unless you're proficient at coding and keep up-to-date on coding changes Blizz makes every patch when applicable, you will have to wait until functionality is restored to the addon. Sometimes the authors either remove functionality or change how things look based upon their preferences, and they may not always align to your preferences. When I started doing beta/PTR testing more regularly, I got rather tired quickly of debugging addons that I didn't write, so I've reduced the number I use drastically. With how much the base UI does nowadays, some addons I still have installed are only used for maybe one or two functions out of the many they provide (it may not even be their primary function). Boss mods are a different beast, as Blizz has openly admitted that they design boss encounters assuming players have boss mod addons installed... but even then, almost all the information you need is audibly/visually telegraphed in encounters. Again, this is typically where boss mods come in, but you can generally do the same thing with just Weakauras (and usually do anyways if it's actually something important).
    “Society is endangered not by the great profligacy of a few, but by the laxity of morals amongst all.”
    “It's not an endlessly expanding list of rights — the 'right' to education, the 'right' to health care, the 'right' to food and housing. That's not freedom, that's dependency. Those aren't rights, those are the rations of slavery — hay and a barn for human cattle.”
    ― Alexis de Tocqueville