Page 1 of 14
... LastLast

Sylvanas is a Mary Sue

She dominated Saurfang and Bolvar in each fight. She one shot Saurfang with her shadow magic and she utterly dominated Bolvar. The guy couldn't do anything against her.

Now some people will claim that she is not a Mary Sue, because her new powers are explained to originate from the Jailer, since when he grows in power, so does Sylvanas.

But that only proves that she is a Mary Sue. Mary Sue's always have justifications for their powers. It's just something the writers pull out of their ass.

15+ Year Old Account
    Um WTF is a Mary Sue?

15+ Year Old Account
    overpowered character because “reasons”. Mary sue actually is a common thing for alotta chars. Remember Rey from Star Wars?
    step into everything will gief ya nothing, mon

Quote Originally Posted by gaymer77 View Post
    Um WTF is a Mary Sue?
    Move the cursor to the bar at the top of your screen, type it in and find out.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Um WTF is a Mary Sue?
    Google knows all.

https://puu.sh/EV6ah/9b6203c753.png

She has a weakness though: Overconfidence.

All she had to do was to keep her big mouth shut & zap Saurfang without a word and boom! You still have the Horde!

(Mary Sue / Marty Stu is attributed to a completely perfect & flawless character)
    They always told me I would miss my family... but I never miss from close range.

Um WTF is a Mary Sue?
    In modern days or on this forum it's basically code for "Female character I don't like and because they were not brutally killed they are totally a Mary Sue."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Valkarra View Post
    She dominated Saurfang and Bolvar in each fight. She one shot Saurfang with her shadow magic and she utterly dominated Bolvar. The guy couldn't do anything against her.

Now some people will claim that she is not a Mary Sue, because her new powers are explained to originate from the Jailer, since when he grows in power, so does Sylvanas.

But that only proves that she is a Mary Sue. Mary Sue's always have justifications for their powers. It's just something the writers pull out of their ass.
    As little as I like her, she isn't really a Mary Sue...she isn't perfect at everything and she didn't even get her power till after she sold out everyone.

Mary Sue's don't have any justification...that is why they're Mary Sue's...because they just are perfect, everyone loves them, and they exist for the sake of existing.

Like it has been said, Rey is a Mary Sue...because she just suddenly existed and had this immense power and mastery she needed no training or skills for. Sylvanas wasn't born with this power nor did she just get complete mastery over night...she developed and as as more died she was probably given more power.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    She's a Mary Sue because she beat up an old Orc with a deathwish and a Lich King that existed just for the sake of existing and has never done anything?
    AchaeaKoralin - Are you still out there? | Classic Priest

No, Sylvanas is more akin to a Villain Sue who gains new powers as the plot demands and is never allowed to actually suffer from any setback because the writers keep conjuring new goals and plans for her out of thin air so she doesn't lose.

Quote Originally Posted by Justpassing View Post

All she had to do was to keep her big mouth shut & zap Saurfang without a word and boom! You still have the Horde!
    That's not overconfidence though. Overconfidence was when she went off to fight Malfurion alone in the woods and ended up rooted and getting her ass kicked.

In this instance, a better description of her reactions would be to call her overly emotional or even emotionally unstable.

It wasn't her confidence that caused her to snap after he hit her, it was her inability to control her emotions.

Quote Originally Posted by Justpassing View Post

(Mary Sue / Marty Stu is attributed to a completely perfect & flawless character)
    The thing isn't necessarily that Mary sues have no flaws - it's that their flaws don't matter. Sylvanas having her head stuffed so far up her own ass she can see daylight doesn't make her a flawed character, because that flaw means nothing in terms of her achieving what she wants to achieve and obtaining what she wants to obtain.
    Cheerful lack of self-preservation

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kithelle View Post
    Like it has been said, Rey is a Mary Sue...because she just suddenly existed and had this immense power and mastery she needed no training or skills for.
    Except Rey is a Palpatine. She inherited power from her grandfather, the Emperor.

Quote Originally Posted by Thetruth1400 View Post
    That's not overconfidence though. Overconfidence was when she went off to fight Malfurion alone in the woods and ended up rooted and getting her ass kicked.

In this instance, a better description of her reactions would be to call her overly emotional or even emotionally unstable.

It wasn't her confidence that caused her to snap after he hit her, it was her inability to control her emotions.
    Call it being bipolar or being a jackass, it was a real stupid move. If she hadn't snapped it woulda been game over, man. Game over!
    They always told me I would miss my family... but I never miss from close range.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jastall View Post
    No, Sylvanas is more akin to a Villain Sue who gains new powers as the plot demands and is never allowed to actually suffer from any setback because the writers keep conjuring new goals and plans for her out of thin air so she doesn't lose.
    This guy/girl gets it. She wasn't as Sue-ish back in the early days, but since Cata onwards she's been consistently written as a bona fide Villain Sue, with a couple of strokes of Anti-Sue (especially on her invariably getting away with murder, despite being depicted as a drooling moron, and the "enemy of all living things" bits).
    Quote Originally Posted by trimble View Post
    WoD was the expansion that was targeted at non raiders.

Quote Originally Posted by Tommi View Post
    Except Rey is a Palpatine. She inherited power from her grandfather, the Emperor.
    Like I said

Mary Sue's always have justifications for their powers.
    The term Mary Sue comes from fan fiction.

Imagine someone writing a Star Wars fan fiction story and writing their character to be the child of Palpatine.

That is the raw definition of a Mary Sue.

Like in WoW people who roleplay will write their back story as being the "illegitimate child of Arthas" or something.

It's just a cheap justification for power or greatness that isn't earned.

It is the essence of a Mary Sue.

Quote Originally Posted by Kithelle View Post
    Like it has been said, Rey is a Mary Sue...because she just suddenly existed and had this immense power and mastery she needed no training or skills for.
    Sounds like Luke with Boobs. Desert child who had no training yet was able to do enough force to get by. Then becomes very powerful with very little training (few days with Yoda. While Rey had weeks with Luke and more with other force trained people.)

Like I said

The term Mary Sue comes from fan fiction.

Imagine someone writing a Star Wars fan fiction story and writing their character to be the child of Palpatine.

That is the raw definition of a Mary Sue.

Like in WoW people who roleplay will write their back story as being the "illegitimate child of Arthas" or something.

It's just a cheap justification for power or greatness that isn't earned.

It is the essence of a Mary Sue.
    Mary Sue originates from a Star Trek parody sketch.