Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

World of Warcraft is not a good RPG

Good RPGs should be about your character's stats developing. Look at games that take D&D as a basis. Stats like charisma that allow you to interact with NPCs in different ways.

The way a good RPG should work is this. You level up your character and in doing so increase your stats. This has a huge impact on whether you can defeat bosses or not. The way WoW works is much more like an action game. It is skill based. Every fight has things to move out of. Stand in this for too long and you are dead. This has bothered me for over a decade. Every time there is any kind of movement in a fight it annoys me greatly, not because I am incapable of moving out of it, but because it makes me think "I wanted to play an RPG, not an action game or jump and run".

In an RPG, whether I can survive a certain attack or not should depend on whether I have the right level, the right gear and the right stats. Like having the Onyxia cloak and having enough resistance.

That's how RPGs work. This is not an RPG. It's an action game.

It's an MMO RPG made to be different than the RPGs back in the day. If you were ever looking for a good RPG and said "WoW is the best!" then you are just being silly.

Quote Originally Posted by lectos View Post
    It's an MMO RPG made to be different than the RPGs back in the day. If you were ever looking for a good RPG and said "WoW is the best!" then you are just being silly.
    It's an RPG made to be not like an RPG.

I mean ever since the beginning it was badged as an ‘action RPG’.. not sure how this is an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Valkarra View Post
    You're right! Nailed it on the head.

Sounds like WoW is not for you then

Quote Originally Posted by relaxok View Post
    I mean ever since the beginning it was badged as an ‘action RPG’.. not sure how this is an issue.
    No, it wasn't.

well arent ALL rpg that arent turn based ACTION rpgs?
    i mean, you do realise being action and rpg are not mutualy exclusive, right?
    Last edited by Lolites; 2019-12-31 at 08:17 PM.

While I generally agree with your position, that RPGs are heavily stat reliant; I can also stand back and say “you won’t find what you are looking for here”. I don’t enjoy saying it, but it’s the truth.

WoW was marketed as an MMORPG. Which is a marketing scheme to increase your potential market. It is an MMO Action game at heart.

First because you interact with other players. It’s great to have a high charisma score and persuade, intimidate, or deceive a programmed NPC to get what you want. But that cannot happen with live players because they can simply say “no” or “fuck off”.

In D&D, what it seems you are really looking for, you have a moderator (representing law) and dice (representing success or failure; chance). You combat your target based upon your base stats coupled with the luck of the dice (which adds flavor and realism). In WoW this cant happen because 1) balance and 2) WoW is a game where both parties are taking their “turns” at the same time (where a D&D round constitutes 6 seconds, and initiative is considered).

WoW did have heavier RPG elements early on, but made changes because of reasons. Be it a generational shift, pressure to increase play time (resulting in further inclusivity between types of players), compounding systems that did not play well with each other, design shifts, etc.; all of this game into play to outright kill a great part of the RPG elements. Leaving a game on rails, where you follow a specific narrative for a few hours each patch, then are left to find your own fun within the various systems. That’s completely objective, some like it better others do not, which is fine.

Bottom line is: This is not an RPG built upon the historical RPG skeleton. I have yet to really find a satisfying RPG game that facilitates solid RPG gaming in groups outside of traditional D&D-esque games. Which is why I have turned back to D&D for my future entertainment time. I (or someone else) creates the skeleton of the game, and then the story truly follows the decisions of the players. And yes, sometimes the dice work against you and hilarious chaos ensues. But I have yet to be disappointed by a surprise, and the content is utterly endless.

I know this probably doesn’t help you out, but nothing can really replace good old fashioned D&D. Limitless content potential, having to actually work together as a group in a sociable manner, and having to commit to your hobby instead of just flipping a switch... it’s just sad many people (as gamers) move through their lives never having sat down at a table or virtual tabletop and hopped in a game.

Cheers!

Poster isn't wrong, it isn't. It's a great gambling/luck of chance simulation though.

Good lord... after reading the initial post - it sounds like he just wants a turn-based rpg.

How the hell can you make WoW if it isn't based on some live action.

Quote Originally Posted by Lolites View Post
    well arent ALL rpg that arent turn based ACTION rpgs?
    i mean, you do realise being action and rpg are not mutualy exclusive, right?
    Actually no, they are mutually exclusive. Action RPGs are action games pretending to be RPGs.

Surprised you even care. Video games are for children, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Calfredd View Post
    Surprised you even care. Video games are for children, right?
    Yeah this guy's shotgunning it till he gets put down.
    They always told me I would miss my family... but I never miss from close range.

10+ Year Old Account
    Good RPGs should be about your character's stats developing. Look at games that take D&D as a basis. Stats like charisma that allow you to interact with NPCs in different ways.
    Warcraft doesn't utilize Charisma stats, though.

The way a good RPG should work is this. You level up your character and in doing so increase your stats.
    You do that in WoW too, though.

This has a huge impact on whether you can defeat bosses or not.
    You do that in WoW too, though.

The way WoW works is much more like an action game. It is skill based.
    Not 100%. Unless you mean being good at the game in general? Because then all RPG's that are not having the human element is doing so.

Every fight has things to move out of. Stand in this for too long and you are dead.

This has bothered me for over a decade. Every time there is any kind of movement in a fight it annoys me greatly, not because I am incapable of moving out of it, but because it makes me think "I wanted to play an RPG, not an action game or jump and run".
    What? Never been in Pen&Paper RPG and been told to watch out for your surroundings?

In an RPG, whether I can survive a certain attack or not should depend on whether I have the right level, the right gear and the right stats.
    You do that in WoW too, though. In a well placed P&P RPG, having the right ability could save lives too. Having the right amount of a stat can save you too - just like in WoW. And some things will be your doom as well - no matter what - even if you are almighty.

Like having the Onyxia cloak and having enough resistance.
    Alas, resistance was a sacrifice due to the interaction between players and the development of having the right set of gear vs. having all the gear.

You aren't fully wrong but MMO RPGs are not like RPG's and have to follow a few other strings compared. It does not classify as an action game.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

it stopped being an rpg when cata came out, now its just an arcade

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by letssee View Post
    it stopped being an rpg when cata came out, now its just an arcade
    Then you don't really know what an arcade is.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by slime View Post
    Poster isn't wrong, it isn't. It's a great gambling/luck of chance simulation though.

Good lord... after reading the initial post - it sounds like he just wants a turn-based rpg.

How the hell can you make WoW if it isn't based on some live action.
    One would be too gullible if an MMO RPG was turn-based.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Is this another one of those people that you can't "I can never figure out if this guy is serious about his topics or if he's just doing bait threads.. " ?

His threads are confusing

Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    Warcraft doesn't utilize Charisma stats, though.
    Can already tell you are a retard.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by SkagenRora View Post
    Is this another one of those people that you can't "I can never figure out if this guy is serious about his topics or if he's just doing bait threads.. " ?

Fuck off and get fucked.

Seems to me you want to play a turn based RPG. If so go play something like Divinity Original sin or the like.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SkagenRora View Post

Dunno but a bit of a stretch to call it action. Even Action RPG. Wildstar would've been an action RPG (RIP).

- - - Updated - - -

Congratulations. You are flaming a user for pointing out an example that doesn't compare with the game.

- - - Updated - - -

Fuck off and get fucked.
    Well, at least this guy is not a bot like the other one,

But he seems quite rude