Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Brewmaster is still in a good place despite nerfs. I don't play the spec however.

Mistweaver has been the worst healer all the way through Eternal Palace but things are looking up with buffs in 8.3. We won't be kicking Priests or Paladins off the healing throne though, nor Druids off the PvP healing throne. Hopefully Shadowlands returns the spec to form aka return spells, abilities and skills that made the spec unique. Over Legion and BFA Blizzard have done a terrible job making it another bogstandard healer. See for example they reverted Soothing Mist from the abomination that was the Legion iteration to the Pre-WoD design in BFA.

Windwalker has been on life support for a long time now and the main theorycrafter for the spec has released an article on the Monk guide website saying he's dropped it in favour of playing Havoc DH, which is basically the same as WW but stronger, more mobile, and much more rewarding, forgiving and simpler to play. I don't blame him and I personally miss the WW gameplay from Legion. The artifact ability was fun to use and our mobility was in a good place.

Have a read if you want: https://www.peakofserenity.com/2019/...storical-data/
    Last edited by Jamie081; 2020-01-01 at 02:12 AM.

Brewmaster is the best overall tank in the game.

Mistweaver is a fine raid healer, great in dungeons, and pvp. Not really the best at anything but they are very good at everything.

Windwalker is below average. You have to push a lot of buttons, stay in melee range, use your defensive skill as an offensive tool and you get rewarded with mediocre dps. I personally hate this spec with a passion and not because of its DPS capabilities.

I find monk in my login screen.

But seriously, I love brewmaster, but I don't like the changes they have made to Mistweaver. Feel like it was best during MoP. I switched to Brewmaster at the start of Legion. I don't play windwalker, so I have no clue about that.
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    Also, it's should HAVE. NOT "should of". "Should of" doesn't even make sense. If you think you should own a cat, do you say "I should of a cat" or "I should have a cat"? Do you HAVE cats, or do you OF cats?

Quote Originally Posted by Sygmar View Post
    WW is hard to play optimally. Has a lot of keys and a lot of resources and cds to manage. And when it comes to the fast paced environment of raids and pvp, you're gonna fuck it up royally and have a bad performance.

Windwalker, alongside demo warlock and survival hunter, is not something you can just pick up and play it good.
    Imo, Windwalker needs a second pruning just to get its difficulty in line with the likes of other specs, so people can pick it up and play it comfortably.

There are very few ww monks around right now because people know they're very hard to master, and if you don't play them at master level, you're gonna do 70% of the dps you should be doing with your item level, and you're gonna get pissed and reroll.

If you ask me, stay away until Blizzard fixes them. I too have a WW monk that I played since MoP, but abandoned it in BFA because I literally cba with it when on top of what it already had, it also gets active essences to manage, and Ashvane's trinket, and active PVP talents on top of everything.
    There's few WWs around because it's a relatively new spec, wasn't OP when released(and never since either, unless you count 2 weeks of Highmaul), was always a niche playstyle and then got reworked to appeal to more people (which failed and just drove some current players away). Playing it is not rocket surgery, and if anything more specs need to move in the direction of WW in terms of depth, rather than away from it.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes it does! Very few people play them, you can't possibly deny that, and pandering to a small percentage of people, is just wasting time and resources that could be put to better use in other places. So either fix it so people engage in it, or stop spending resources on it.

Obviously since Blizzard can't delete WW spec, the only option is to change it so it becomes profitable and attractive to people.

Survival hunter was an even bigger pain in the ass to play in Legion than it is in BFA, but Blizzard took a look at it and got rid of some of the bloat. Survival is good now but still not enough, as the meta build (Mongoose Bite + Wildfire Infusion) demands a lot of attention to the rotation, as opposed to the easy build (Tip of the spear + Birds of Prey) which is just bad dps but easy to play.
    They tried pandering to more people with the Legion rework, and again in BfA. It's a waste of time and they should focus on making the current players happy, not people who don't play the spec or don't want to play it(in which case, why are they still playing it?l

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Lucetia View Post

See, I hate the mastery where it has to be a different ability every time in order to maintain buff. Where it's mostly Tiger -> Blackout -> Tiger back and forth while the other two are on cd.

Agree with this, the mastery/Hit Combo is dumb and the spec was more fun in MoP/WoD. It's not going away, though, so they should focus on making the spec fun for people who
    do like the mastery and fuck everybody else.
    Last edited by Tradu; 2020-01-01 at 03:07 AM.
    Tradushuffle
    <Echoes>
    Laughing Skull-EU

WW is hard to play optimally. Has a lot of keys and a lot of resources and cds to manage. And when it comes to the fast paced environment of raids and pvp, you're gonna fuck it up royally and have a bad performance.

Windwalker, alongside demo warlock and survival hunter, is not something you can just pick up and play it good.
    Imo, Windwalker needs a second pruning just to get its difficulty in line with the likes of other specs, so people can pick it up and play it comfortably.

There are very few ww monks around right now because people know they're very hard to master, and if you don't play them at master level, you're gonna do 70% of the dps you should be doing with your item level, and you're gonna get pissed and reroll.

If you ask me, stay away until Blizzard fixes them. I too have a WW monk that I played since MoP, but abandoned it in BFA because I literally cba with it when on top of what it already had, it also gets active essences to manage, and Ashvane's trinket, and active PVP talents on top of everything.
    ???

If WW is considered hard to play optimally, then how brain dead are the other specs in the game?

Like srsly, I LOVE playing WW, but I love it, because it's a fast and yet super easy spec to play. I don't see anything about that spec tho that needs practice or whatever. Or is alternating spell casts or taking dmg intentionally while karma is up now considered hard to master??

Quote Originally Posted by RobertMugabe View Post
    ???

If WW is considered hard to play optimally, then how brain dead are the other specs in the game?
    It's not hard to play optimally, it's just more demanding than some other specs but doesn't show anything for it in terms of performance. You get a worse result than other specs when playing optimally.

I love the brewmaster playstyle... but I can not get over the sound effects the abilities make... very "Plow" "Bang" "Kerplow" cartoony style and it puts me off... I know... I am weird

It survived the transition from Legion to BFA pretty much intact as far as I'm concerned compared to most of my alts, so it's my new main. If nothing changes to outlaw rogues except stripping them of all the expansion specific features and leaving nothing in their wake (again) it will stay that way.

Tanking is fine, a little more hectic than something like bear but I like it that way.

MW pretty braindead but that's exactly what I want out of it, I'm a terrible healer so give me very few buttons please.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

Never was able to level a Monk, tried numerous times from MoP til now.
    On a whim I boosted a Brewmaster last week, and I can't put it down.

I've sunk around 20 hours into it, 440ilvl and feeling sturdier than my 450 BDK in keys (I may just be an awful BDK who knows :3 )
    I wish someone had pinched me earlier about playing Brew, favorite tank to play thus far, and I've tanked 10+ keys on every tank except Paladin this expac.

Can't comment on WW or MW, cba to try 'em.

5+ Year Old Account
    Having mastered the rotations, tried out various builds, since WoD... I find WW boring now. But whatever I get good at I usually get bored with.

I don't find the theme and the god damn mint green visuals appealing anymore. I wish it transitioned into a typical brawler class.

In PvP arena monk feels great. Both MW and WW. Very mobile, huge bursts and great control.

In PvE monks are quite boring and repetitive. People seems to love the WW mastery but it makes the spec super reptitive.

Windwalker is like the only specc in the game where you have to be involved. It could use a visual update but other than that, it is a fun specc to play. I miss the old Tigereye Brew and Expel Harm though.

I just re-subbed yesterday. Came back to my BrM.

Overall I feel the spec is really solid. But I would trade off part of our passive mitigation (Stagger) for more active mitigation and/or more CDs. I know it`s the flavor of the spec, but it makes it bland. Brews don't feel "dynamic enough".

Also, to chime in with whoever mentioned the wierd sounds. I hate it how there*s an ability (forgot its name) where you have to use your staff to attack. There should be a 100% bare fist option to play the spec. (I play as a hunky Kultiran leather daddy)

I love the class to death but its pve performance (raids, not M+) makes me not want to play them