Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Have you ever had to hurt someone in self-defense?

If you've had to, what happened?

I've had to do it. In my case a man attacked me, I defended myself with a knife and when I cut him and stabbed him I ran as fast I could from there. He later died to his injuries. Still makes me feel bad today even though it is years ago.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Katie N View Post

I've had to do it. In my case a man attacked me, I defended myself with a knife and when I cut him and stabbed him I ran as fast I could from there. He later died to his injuries. Still makes me feel bad today even though it is years ago.
    Nah, I stay away from shady places with belligerent people.

Nice job on your defense Katie, you've gained a lot of street cred in my book.

(His death was his own fault, not yours. Probably)

Quote Originally Posted by Katie N View Post

If you ran how do you know what happened to him afterwards? Anyway, you shouldn't feel bad at all if he was a criminal, you saved yourself and other women most likely, I'd think of it like that. I lived in NYC for many years, people would start shit with me once in a while (blonde guy with glasses must be a wimp) but as soon as they saw this wasn't the case it would never escalate to major violence. Most attackers want easy targets.

Quote Originally Posted by Cruor View Post
    If you ran how do you know what happened to him afterwards? Anyway, you shouldn't feel bad at all if he was a criminal, you saved yourself and other women most likely, I'd think of it like that. I lived in NYC for many years, people would start shit with me once in a while (blonde guy with glasses must be a wimp) but as soon as they saw this wasn't the case it would never escalate to major violence. Most attackers want easy targets.
    I was in court for his death but I was not found guilty, his family still thinks I murdered him even though he attacked me.

There was some kid when I was in 10th or 11th grade that punched me in the back for some stupid reason that I can’t even remember so I got up and punched him back, and he got up and left the class crying.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Katie N
    Have you ever had to hurt someone in self-defense? If you've had to, what happened?
    A few times. I'm bigger than I look (short legs) so I'm usually able to talk people down when that sinks in. Usually the worst that happens is a minor twist or sprain and some bruising. The most embarrassing? I had to actually use a release and joint lock. On a woman. One that was a whopping 145 cm tall.

She ended up with a mild shoulder injury because she wouldn't stop trying to brute force me -- she was playing for an audience and expected to get me dog-piled as a foreigner. She nearly pulled me down a flight of steps, and having her fall while holding on to me would have risked worse injury to her and it would have kept me from falling defensively.

Bungee, she was 145 cm tall and you said you're bigger than you look! Yep, but she was in the middle of a military style physical training program (for cooking of all things), grew up on a farm, and was able to toss a 12 pound load of sand 120 times per minute one handed. She was way too small to overpower me, but strong enough to get me hurt by prolonging the struggle until somebody jumped me. Why didn't they? It was rush hour on the subway and she had ambushed me at a busy station where I had to change trains. That probably slowed down the reaction enough for people to notice that I was frog marching her to security while calling out to them for help. Security took notice that I was using a minimal force restraint, while wearing a jacket from an international martial arts meeting (showing that I was probably trying to use minimal force by choice).

Subway security tried to beg off as lacking jurisdiction, so I asked them to call actual police. The police didn't want to have to deal with what they saw as a domestic dispute, where they would have to write up the (145 cm) Chinese girl and file a ton of extra papers because a foreigner was involved. I got a compliment for restraint, and a warning that use of force involving martial arts had to be evaluated as if I were armed. They backed her into a corner, stood in her way, and had me make a dash for the train to escape, but she had spent months doing extended runs and was wearing running shoes. She just made it onto the train. A friend came to meet me when I got off the train, and we couldn't really shake her without risking an incident (shortage of taxis) but his Chinese was good enough that the next time she tried to make a scene he told everyone "It's OK, she's a hooker and trying to shake him down for money".

Today, we're still in contact and still friends. She has been married for years now, so I don't worry about her doing a replay of the psycho routine.
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    Nah, I stay away from shady places with belligerent people.

Nice job on your defense Katie, you've gained a lot of street cred in my book.

(His death was his own fault, not yours. Probably)
    I mean considering belligerent people can be anywhere that seems like a silly thing to say.

10+ Year Old Account
    yes one time there was this draenei that attacked me and well i managed to fend her off.....
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    yes one time there was this draenei that attacked me and well i managed to fend her off.....
    *pats* you know it went differently. Puny blood elf tried ganking, and you got beaten up instead.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

I had a drunk, belligerent man break into my house in the middle of the night. He spent over 10 minutes kicking at my front door screaming that I needed to go out there and "fight like a man". I had never seen this guy before in my life. I spent the whole time on the phone with the police. He eventually made his way in my house by going around to the back sliding glass door and smashing it with a paving brick. I went into my bathroom to hide, and when he came into the bathroom, I shot him in self defense.

The whole process took 15 minutes, and the police didn't arrive until 22 minutes after I originally called.
    CPU: Intel i7 3770K Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V PRO GPU: 2X Asus GTX 770 OC SLI Heatsink: Hyper 212 EVO RAM: Corsair Vengeance 2x8GB 1600mhz SSD: 120Gb Samsung 840 EVO HDD: WD 2tb Caviar Black PSU: Corsair HX850 Case: CM HAF 932 Advanced

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aedrielle View Post
    *pats* you know it went differently. Puny blood elf tried ganking, and you got beaten up instead.
    typically draenei lies and propaganda. trying to undermine the leader of the blood elf nation. i beat yrel up good. she was screaming in pain the whole time. crying for her wind chime.
    Last edited by breadisfunny; 2020-01-02 at 04:39 PM.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

Surprisingly I haven't so much as raised my fist in 16 years.

But I think that's more down to dumb luck than any virtue, the nights some shit seems to go down are either the ones I decided to stay home or I was away like having a smoke or in the toilet when it happend.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    I mean considering belligerent people can be anywhere that seems like a silly thing to say.
    I've always lived on rural property that is just outside of city limits and then drive into town each day. Out in the countryside there's more of a sense of community and togetherness and nobody is really belligerent towards one another. If I drive into a bad part of town, then yeah, there are tons of belligerents. But out in the countryside there's virtually no crime and conflict in my anecdotal experience.
    Last edited by PC2; 2020-01-02 at 06:45 PM.

I've always lived on rural property that is just outside of city limits and then drive into town each day. Out in the countryside there's more of a sense of community and togetherness and nobody is really belligerent towards one another. If I drive into a bad part of town, then yeah, there are tons of belligerents. But out in the countryside there's virtually no crime and conflict in my anecdotal experience.
    Out in the country and rural areas around here are "sundown" towns, so...

Also note you said "bad part of town"... which means you can easily be in a city with no issues.

Nothing beyond a few scuffles and lock holds. Never for my life though.

7+ Year Old Account
    Out in the country and rural areas around here are "sundown" towns, so...
    Huh I find the "sundown concern" in rural areas to be very alien, unless it relates to wild animals.

Also note you said "bad part of town"... which means you can easily be in a city with no issues.
    Of course, but it's a numbers game. If you're in New York City the ratio of normal people to aggressive people may or may not be similar to the average, but when you pass by so many people in a high density place your odds of coming across a beligerent goes up dramatically.
    Last edited by PC2; 2020-01-02 at 07:04 PM.

Huh I find the "sundown concern" in rural areas to be very alien, unless it relates to wild animals.

Of course, but it's a numbers game. If you're in New York City the ratio of normal people to aggressive people may or may not be similar to the average, but when you pass by so many people in a high density place your odds of coming across a beligerent goes up dramatically.
    New York City is the safest big city in the country with crime rates that are often lower than most towns.

7+ Year Old Account
    New York City is the safest big city in the country with crime rates that are often lower than most towns.
    Nice and I suspect that most people that do get into altercations there involve 2 beligerent losers looking for the only kind of ego boost they are capable of getting. Which is beating some other loser in a fight.

Nice and I suspect that most people that do get into altercations there involve 2 beligerent losers looking for the only kind of ego boost they are capable of getting. Which is beating some other loser in a fight.
    Which at times happens more frequently in smaller areas around New York than New York City itself.

7+ Year Old Account
    Which at times happens more frequently in smaller areas around New York than New York City itself.
    So for example would it be lowest in Manhatten? Because it makes sense that dirtbags would be pushed out of the elite parts of the city.