Poll: Some examples

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Easily the Last Jedi. Though I'm thinking of "worst" in the sense of did the most damage and fell the farthest from expectations. In a way, that's the only fair way to rate what "worst" is.... I mean, how do you compare epic, almost unbelievable mishandling of valuable franchises (which most people can at least stand to sit through once) against a movie like "the Human Centipede." The former is a testament to an insane mishandling of something with tremendous cultural appeal, the latter is just some disgusting joke that no one even bothers to watch after they hear the disgusting premise.

I'd say the WarCraft movie takes second place.... kind of a distant second though. The Last Jedi being that bad and that damaging was actually a surprise, the level of incompetence it demonstrated by a mega corporation like Disney was something you wouldn't have expected after what they paid to buy the franchise. The WarCraft movie being bad was not entirely unexpected (it was, after all, another video game based movie), but you still couldn't help but hope they'd do well. They really had a lot to work with and a lot of time to plan that one out, and by the end it just feels like a misfire on everything.

I know some people will say Rise of Skywalker, but really, there was no recovering after Last Jedi. Last Jedi was kind of like a passenger in a car wanting to do a course correction, grabbing the wheel from the driver and jerking it, and sending the car plummeting off a cliff. Rise of Skywalker was like letting the driver take back the wheel mid-plummet. You can't really ruin the character of Luke Skywalker and kill him off, fail to develop the new main characters in any meaningful way (I suppose Poe learned a lesson that he shouldn't question incompetent authority), waste any chance to move the plot forward and fail to foreshadow a coherent resolution to any arc, and expect the following movie to be a satisfying wrap up to a trilogy that wasted its entire middle installment.
    Last edited by Torvald; 2020-01-02 at 06:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Itori View Post
    Any live action based on an anime is going to be bad, cgi cant compete with animation, and you can draw your characters to express emotion with unrealistic faces and poses that provide better entertainment. When you see someone doing it, it just looks goofy and cringy.
    I think it's possible, it's just that they aren't executed in a manner that's entertaining with actors that can actually pull it off. While not an anime, I think a good example of someone who can pull off entertainment working with goofy/cringy situations and dialogue is Ian McDiarmid, aka Palpatine from Star Wars. Out of all the things in the Star Wars prequels, he is consistently entertaining and enjoyable to watch despite watching most other actors around him just being painful to watch in those movies. I think the general disconnect is that many actors lack that special nuance to make over-the-top writing palatable, and they come off as way too serious or overacting to where they feel fake. It's a fine line, but it's the difference of pretending your the character versus embracing and becoming the character, and that's usually what these anime-turned-live action movies usually suffer from. And yes, the budgets are usually low to begin with, so you tend to get no-name or low budget actors who likely have no chance at making a convincing/entertaining performance.

I'm still waiting for a good live action adaptation from anime, but this past decade hasn't seen much in terms of good results. The Death Note live action movie on Netflix and Dragonball Evolution, like many other adaptations, felt like someone made a script based upon second-hand knowledge of the source material. Basically, if you had someone paraphrase what an anime is about and the writer used that paraphrasing as source material, that is the best level of live action adaptations we got. I think the formula is in the process of being cracked to some degree, but the medium looks like it'll be not movies but series.

Quote Originally Posted by Zendhal The Black View Post
    Doom Annihilation
    You could tell from the trailer it was going to be extremely bad, and the Dwayne Johnson version feels much better in comparison. It suffered from a similar fate that most anime-turned-live action films do in terms of story, budget, and acting... but also the SJW/political tendencies that placate to an extreme minority that perform poorly in terms of revenue and entertainment value.

That has been the trend of many bad movies this decade, especially towards the end of the decade. Maybe companies making movies in the next decade will realize they can make a ton more money focusing on making entertaining content for the masses versus pandering to extreme minorities who more often than not will still not validate them. At best, it's distracting in an otherwise decent movie... but usually it just brings down a mediocre movie even further or just outright makes a movie terrible.
    “Society is endangered not by the great profligacy of a few, but by the laxity of morals amongst all.”
    “It's not an endlessly expanding list of rights — the 'right' to education, the 'right' to health care, the 'right' to food and housing. That's not freedom, that's dependency. Those aren't rights, those are the rations of slavery — hay and a barn for human cattle.”
    ― Alexis de Tocqueville

7+ Year Old Account
    All that moves is easily heard in the void.
    I got a huge chuckle out of the votes for The Last Jedi after Return of Skywalker came out.

You may not like where they went with The Last Jedi, but it is an actual movie and, at a minimum, at least mediocre. Return of Skywalker is nearly unintelligible, being little more than a light show for little kids (seriously, if it wasn't Star Wars or have a big budget, it would be relegated to the archives of forgettable B movies...it really is that bad).

That said, the worst movie of the 10s would have to be either Cats or The Emoji Movie.

There was a lot that I didn't like, I had a yearly tradition of watching the worst movies of the previous year on New Year's Day/weekend and probably skip it this year.

Some that come to mind:
    Unfriended
    It Follows
    Nine Lives
    Pan
    Transformers (series - first was okay)
    Twilight (series - really only watched the first one, was doing other stuff while ex and my sister watched the second)
    Hunger Games (only saw first 2 - boring)
    Suicide Squad
    Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (why does Nickelodeon hate TMNT series so much?)
    FANT4STIC (The original ones were cheesy, this one was a dumpster fire)
    Ghostbusters

Suicide Squad was embarrassingly bad.

15+ Year Old Account
    the warcraft movie was actually decent. I dont know how anyone can vote that being the worst over something like ghostbusters(2016)

Even though the Warcraft movie had issues, it was still an enjoyable movie (The orcs honestly hard-carried it) so to call it the worst movie of the decade is ehh...

10+ Year Old Account
    I feel like all the people voting for Last Jedi haven't seen some of the other movies on this list...
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

Well, people can only vote with what they know of...and wasted time and money on.

Quote Originally Posted by Gallahadd View Post
    I feel like all the people voting for Last Jedi haven't seen some of the other movies on this list...
    If you only watch like 5 movies in a decade, I can see how TLJ might qualify as the worst.

But at that point, calling it the worst really isn't saying much.
    Last edited by s_bushido; 2020-01-02 at 08:15 PM.

New Star Wars trilogy

- - - Updated - - -

Tusk was fuckin good. So was Human Centipede. This list is shit other than Cats.

I'm one of the few people that mostly enjoyed The Last Jedi I guess (more than Force Awakens even as this movie didn't do anything new but merely rehashed A New Hope with worse characters). Sure there were decisions that were questionable at least but I can see why Johnson made them. I think he was the wrong director for that movie but it is far from the worst of the decade for me. (Gonna see Knives Out tomorrow. If he employed a similar approach to the whodunit genre as he did in TLJ this'll be awesome, critics look very good)

As for my worst I'll choose one that is maybe not objectively as bad as The Asylum's shovelware but that has enraged me for several reasons: Ghostbuster (2016)

1: It was a horribly written misandrist pos that depicted all men as either ridiculously stupid, incompetent or straight villains with a main villain that was so boring and one-dimensional it was just sad.

2: The people who made it had the gall to accuse everyone not liking it of being mysoginist as if that was the only reason one could dislike this movie and it was a shield from every criticism no matter how valid.

3: It was the prototype for many feminist movies since (for example Terminator: Dark Fate, Charlie's Angels) that don't understand that a good female hero doesn't need all men surrounding her to be bumbling idiots and that this is insulting for the audience.

(What, no Twilight?)

The Emoji Movie. At least Shyamalan tried/wanted to stay true to the original series with the Last Airbender (apparently so, anyway. Executive meddling or something). The Emoji Movie was just a soulless, cynical corporate advertisement from the start - plus it's a genuinely shitty film.

Quote Originally Posted by Theoris View Post
    At least Shyamalan tried/wanted to stay true to the original series with the Last Airbender (apparently so, anyway. Executive meddling or something).
    eh... People claim "studio meddling" all the time to excuse their shitty movies. He may have stuck fairly faithfully to the overall plot, but pretty much nothing else about that movie was faithful to the show. From the characters to the bending.

Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    eh... People claim "studio meddling" all the time to excuse their shitty movies. He may have stuck fairly faithfully to the overall plot, but pretty much nothing else about that movie was faithful to the show. From the characters to the bending.
    Sure, but if rumors are to be believed he's the only exec who was a fan of the series and actually bothered during production.

Don't get me wrong, though. The movie's still a piece of trash and him saying he wanted it to be faithful to ATLA (speaking in terms of the ethnicity of the cast) - which may or may not be an attempt to shift the blame - doesn't negate the fact that he made a terrible flick.

Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    How is the TLJ even on the list? Its sin is that its a bad sequel to its predecessor, its a solid movie on any other theatrical metric.

The problem with these leasts is that they are full of meme picks or movies that no one ever took seriously.

A quick Google job, wheres:

Independence Day 2
    Paranormal Activity n
    After Earth
    Twilight
    The 15:17 To Paris
    Death of a Nation

Truly bad films that tried to be good.
    It absolutely, 100% isn't.

10+ Year Old Account
    The Last Airbender was a huge insult to the series.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by exochaft View Post
    I'm still waiting for a good live action adaptation from anime, but this past decade hasn't seen much in terms of good results. The Death Note live action movie on Netflix and Dragonball Evolution, like many other adaptations, felt like someone made a script based upon second-hand knowledge of the source material. Basically, if you had someone paraphrase what an anime is about and the writer used that paraphrasing as source material, that is the best level of live action adaptations we got. I think the formula is in the process of being cracked to some degree, but the medium looks like it'll be not movies but series.
    Alita: Battle Angel, while not a great movie, it actually pretty good and not a terrible adaptation.

Quote Originally Posted by Coldfrostzero View Post
    There was a lot that I didn't like, I had a yearly tradition of watching the worst movies of the previous year on New Year's Day/weekend and probably skip it this year.

Some that come to mind:
    Unfriended
    It Follows
    Nine Lives
    Pan
    Transformers (series - first was okay)
    Twilight (series - really only watched the first one, was doing other stuff while ex and my sister watched the second)
    Hunger Games (only saw first 2 - boring)
    Suicide Squad
    Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (why does Nickelodeon hate TMNT series so much?)
    FANT4STIC (The original ones were cheesy, this one was a dumpster fire)
    Ghostbusters
    It Follows doesn't belong on that list at all. It is a legitimately good movie. Same director also made Under the Silver Lake, one of my favorite movies of the past year.
    Meh, I just ignore those kinds of posts. It is the new, hot thing to hate on. It's not amazing and all the Canto Bight stuff is awful, but it is miles away from the worst movie of the decade. Disappointing? Absolutely, but it is a completely fine movie and not bad by any means. I would say it is misguided if anything.