Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Look up Jens Söring.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82
    plenty of countries have no jury system. It’s hilarious you think the only alternative is China though.
    Pssst. Keep up! If you go back to where Stormvind asked what the system here is, you'll notice that China 1) has a jury system, 2) the jurors are appointed. Those two things address your complaint that jurors are not trained for the role they play.

The problem, of course, is that I doubt you'd trust the neutrality of those jurors precisely because they are appointed. On the other hand, jurors in the American system have specifically played a role in changing bad law through jury nullification ... something you've failed to address. Juries in the American system are there because they do reflect the views of the community. As far as trials with no jury, you've also dodged the fact that bench trials are an option.

I notice that while you are struggling to come up with responses, you've yet to actually say what system you think *would* be better and why it would be better. Out of the "plenty of countries" not using juries, one example is Sharia law. Is that what you're proposing? Come on out and say so then.
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

10+ Year Old Account
    It depends there would still need to be enough circumstantial evidence in line with your statement. Otherwise you can have all the evidence in the world along with a confession. It likely wouldn't be enough.

However they can hold you in jail until it is all sorted. If what you said doesn't hold up the next phase would be to find out why. I mean perhaps you decided to take responsibility for someone else. So just because you didn't actually do it, doesn't mean you might not serve a lot of time and be convicted almost as if you did.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82
    Keep up, you posted an article discussing the US legal system.
    Ah, still dodging! Answer the question -- if you're going to bitch about something, what do you think is better? I see how you've hit nearly 33K posts, you don't have anything to say, you just +1.
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Qnubi View Post
    Let's assume you go to the police and tell them you have murdered someone (you didn't) and feel guilty about it. They then ask you where the corpse is and you would claim you cremated everything and as such there is no proof left. What would happen? Nobody would announce someone is missing, all they have is a confession that is wrong. I am curious how that would go.
    The world is full of crazies who admit their guilt for murders that they did not do and that may not have even happened

I will go with.. i hope not

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Player Eleven View Post
    Look up Thomas Quick.
    I used hope to indicate a prefered state of the world..

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Qnubi View Post
    Let's assume you go to the police and tell them you have murdered someone (you didn't) and feel guilty about it. They then ask you where the corpse is and you would claim you cremated everything and as such there is no proof left. What would happen? Nobody would announce someone is missing, all they have is a confession that is wrong. I am curious how that would go.
    Short answer: not immediately.

In the United States, it would not immediately put you in jail, but you would be arrested. There would have to be an investigation, the authorities would have to find out who you killed. At that point they could take you to trial and go through the process. If you were willing to plead guilty, a full trial would not occur - you would move directly to sentencing. After sentencing, you would then proceed to the appropriate prison (State or Federal, depending on the crimes location).

Several issues could gum up and delay the process, the biggest of which you hit on in your initial question - no one saying who was killed. If you refused to cooperate after the initial confession, and didn't want to plead guilty, then a full trial would ensue, jury and all. Your mental capacity could come into question as well, depending on your defense attorney's skill, and again, your willingness to cooperate.

5+ Year Old Account
    Settle down. There is no reason to get personal.
    Moderator of the General Off-Topic, Politics, Lore, and RP Forums
    "If you have any concerns, let me know via PM. I'll do my best to assist you."

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rozz View Post
    Settle down. There is no reason to get personal.
    Since when has one required a reason to get personal?!
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

Quote Originally Posted by Xarkan View Post
    The world is full of crazies who admit their guilt for murders that they did not do and that may not have even happened

I will go with.. i hope not
    Its a common enough occurrence that elements of the crime are withheld from the public largely to ensure that confessions are legitimate.