Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Player Eleven View Post
    Not really. Those who wouldn't buy from them weren't interested in the first place.
    So now you're saying those who do not break the law weren't all that interested in drinking in the first place? And that the law is not a potential deterrent? But not 100% have access to 3rd parties, and if they were serious about drinking they'd just get a 3rd party to break the law for them?

Because in Sweden, there exist no person that would forego drinking because it wasn't as easy as just walking in and getting a drink?

As a teenager, you can't be punished for obtaining alcohol. The one who would be punished is the one who provided it to you.
    The rub here is that you are asking 3rd parties to break the law and for some reason you all think everyone 100% is behind it. If some kid came up to me asking, I'd be like.. no...

I was a teen, I didn't find someone to go illegally buy me drinks.

There is always someone who will do it.
    Mm so now we have a kid asking people over and over ... yeah that doesn’t sound like it makes it more difficult than just waltzing in yourself at all.....

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kail View Post
    Don't recall that scene from Simpsons, but certainly saw that King of the Hill episode. Smoking is something I'd put a higher restriction on over alcohol. It poses other health risks to others beyond the user.
    So you'd rather make it easier for some punk ass kid to get shit faced and drive and kill an innocent family? Good logic.

Quote Originally Posted by markos82 View Post
    Sure, I would letbhim/her drink entire evening. To get drunk AF, vomits, feels like he/she was hit with a truck and then ran over by a rhino tomorrow to show him/her what happens if you drink too much...
    Kids don't get hangovers mate

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Freighter View Post
    But when you're not at the age to buy it, you can't get your hands on it in any other way than other people buying it for you.
    Just go to a store that doesn't check for your ID
    Quote Originally Posted by lunchbox2042 View Post
    Ahh, WoW, the game that gives cosplayers a reason to dress up like medieval fantasy hookers.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpharius View Post

Just go to a store that doesn't check for your ID
    Even now at 26, I have to provide it when buying alcohol. I've never come across a store or restaurant where they don't check it.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpharius View Post
    Kids don't get hangovers mate
    I guess you never got drunk as a 9-10 year old kid...

- - - Updated - - -

Even now at 26, I have to provide it when buying alcohol. I've never come across a store or restaurant where they don't check it.
    If you are 26 and they still ask you probably look young. Before mid 2000s kids could buy alcoholic and. Cigarettes easy in my country. And they can still do it now because most don't give a flying fuck.

But when you're not at the age to buy it, you can't get your hands on it in any other way than other people buying it for you.
    Yeah I know?

They sold it to us with 13
    Quote Originally Posted by markos82 View Post
    I guess you never got drunk as a 9-10 year old kid...

- - - Updated - - -

If you are 26 and they still ask you probably look young. Before mid 2000s kids could buy alcoholic and. Cigarettes easy in my country. And they can still do it now because most don't give a flying fuck.
    I mean when I drank for my first time, I was so shitfaced I couldn't even walk anymore and crawled over the street. Afterwards I blacked out on a couch of a friend, woke up next to his toilet and then I woke up again in my own room. I felt just fine the next day.
    Quote Originally Posted by lunchbox2042 View Post
    Ahh, WoW, the game that gives cosplayers a reason to dress up like medieval fantasy hookers.

Blame your heritage -- you'll look young till you're 50;

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    No, probably not. Alcohol is bad for their development.
    Development is why I'd like the age to be 25. Sure people will still circumvent but it is an age that makes sense, developmentally.

20 or 25, it makes no difference. People will get their hands on it if they want it.

Would be silly to let people do military service at 18 but they have to be 25 for alcohol, because that makes sense. It's stupid that it's 20 even when we have military service.
    Well I wouldn't want people in the military who are developing fucking up their brain development while being active in the field. That seems like a problem?

In fact 25 is probably the perfect age, covers all of university for most people, even those who take 6 years to graduate. Which ultimately would benefit people.

I don't understand your problem with the 25 age. Is it because you feel it wouldn't be effective because not "everyone" would follow it?

Ultimately over time you would likely see people pushed to drink later.

What we know:

-Brain development begins to mature around age 25
    -Drinking can create issues relating to brain development
    -Drinking before the age of 25 for most poses a potential risk related to brain development

Therefore a drinking age of 25 is a logical conclusion.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    Development is why I'd like the age to be 25. Sure people will still circumvent but it is an age that makes sense, developmentally.
    Its also when we start having big boy jobs and repsonsibilities. That seems like the WORST time to introduce alcohol honestly, as opposed to college where repsonsibilities are less and more forgiving of coming in drunk or with a hangover.

By keeping alcohol taboo for much longer, its only going to cause mroe rule breakings or an excessive amount of consumption when the perosn finally hits that legal age, which would be the worst time in most people's lives for that kinda thing.
    Last edited by Crissi; 2020-01-03 at 02:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Its also when we start having big boy jobs and repsonsibilities. That seems like the WORST time to introduce alcohol honestly, as opposed to college where repsonsibilities are less and more forgiving of coming in drunk or with a hangover.
    But college is when you're still developing, and you're literally in school to learn.

There is a major conflict there. As a 25 year old you should be more responsible with fully mature executive functions so the chances of being super sloppy are likely lower.

We know this with most drugs, even hard drugs. Generally if people start later in life, they tend to not get addicted and are more responsible.

10+ Year Old Account
    But college is when you're still developing, and you're literally in school to learn.

There is a major conflict there. As a 25 year old you should be more responsible with fully mature executive functions so the chances of being super sloppy are likely lower.

We know this with most drugs, even hard drugs. Generally if people start later in life, they tend to not get addicted and are more responsible.
    People still learn throughout their lives. The brain is mostly functional at the point where we are in college. And mid 20's are barely better than early 20's tbh, still not a lot of life experience.

Also, are you for outlawing all sports? Because I can guarantee you that will help brain health more.

- - - Updated - - -

also, given how wide spread alcohol has been in our culture for millennia, I'm doubtful moving the age to 25 will provide any meaningful differences. Alcoholics are still gonna end up that way because of an addictive personality or a family history.

Can you imagine trying to socialize at a party as a teenager with no alcohol involved? I've been to events where people didn't drink and it was very stiff.
    If you need to be drunk to socialize sounds like an alcoholic problem

- - - Updated - - -

People still learn throughout their lives. The brain is mostly functional at the point where we are in college. And mid 20's are barely better than early 20's tbh, still not a lot of life experience.

Also, are you for outlawing all sports? Because I can guarantee you that will help brain health more.

- - - Updated - - -

also, given how wide spread alcohol has been in our culture for millennia, I'm doubtful moving the age to 25 will provide any meaningful differences. Alcoholics are still gonna end up that way because of an addictive personality or a family history.
    I am against football for k-12 absolutely.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you need to be drunk to socialize sounds like an alcoholic problem

- - - Updated - - -

I am against football for k-12 absolutely.
    Not just football. Basketball. soccer. Gymnastics. lacrosse. volleyball. baseball. softball. boxing. wrestling. Hockey. Horseback riding. All of those have a significant amount of concussions. Also, no you cant stop at grade 12. It needs to be banned until age 25 too, because the same logic applies in terms of brain damage. Actually, its even worse than alcohol as it alters your very personality and brain structure permanently much quicker.
    Last edited by Crissi; 2020-01-03 at 03:04 AM.

Not just football. Basketball. soccer. Gymnastics. lacrosse. volleyball. baseball. softball. boxing. wrestling. All of those have a significant amount of concussions. Also, no you cant stop at grade 12. It needs to be banned until age 25 too, because the same logic applies in terms of brain damage. Actually, its even worse than alcohol as it alters your very personality and brain structure permanently much quicker.
    Basketball is less brain traumatizing than football.. and so is volleyball and wrestling. Boxing is also a clear no as well for obvious reasons.

The rates of concussions in lacrosse are quite low and in football they're far lower than American football.

I mean ideally yes 25, but I don't think that would change with the culture of people.

10+ Year Old Account
    Basketball is less brain traumatizing than football.. and so is volleyball and wrestling. Boxing is also a clear no as well for obvious reasons.

The rates of concussions in lacrosse are quite low and in football they're far lower than American football.

I mean ideally yes 25, but I don't think that would change with the culture of people.
    https://www.cnn.com/2019/10/15/healt...udy/index.html

while football is still going up, soccer and ice hockey really arent that far behind in rates, with cheerleeding also being obscenely high.

but at least I know where you stand now. I appreciate the lack of hypocrisy, even if I fundamentally disagree with a 25 age limit. We've been consuming alcohol for thousands of years, I highly suspect a 4 year delay isn't going to help enough in enough individuals to counter act the negatives on things such as economy, learning to drink at an age where we're introduced to the real world, increases in arrests for minors, and the weird thing where we're old enough to vote and go to war, but not drink for a significantly longer period of time than now.
    Last edited by Crissi; 2020-01-03 at 03:19 AM.

I would normally say no but people here have a point that having that start under parental supervision is probably the best course.

I hadn't thought about it because I assumed they'd inherit my immediate gag reflex upon even seeing alcohol.

Also reminded me of this, one of the best God of War scenes:

Last edited by Powerogue; 2020-01-03 at 09:07 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.