Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalontas View Post
    Oh yeah, half-breeds would be a pretty no-brainer allied race for the future. Have Alliance half-elves, Horde half-ogres (mok'nathal, like Rexxar) and half-orcs and half-draenei that can pick a faction.
    I'd guess the only challenge would be integrating them into a quest that justifies a good number of them being recruited, it's easier to do with regular subraces and completely different ones since they are:
    1)tend to congregate in communities full of their people while Half-breeds are usually spread out in communities populated by either one of their parent races
    2)have a justified reason for not already being apart of a faction, while half-breeds tend to stay in the faction that is closer to the values they were raised with

10+ Year Old Account
    Not really. No matter the other half, orcs in general arent my thing.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Crabs have been removed from the game... because if I see another one I’m just going to totally lose it. *sobbing* I’m sorry, I just can’t right now... I just... OK just give me a minute, I’ll be OK..

Stood in the Fire n7stormreaver's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    I'd rather play half an orc
    Space magic.

10+ Year Old Account
    Stun resist racial and EMFH?

Only if they other half was ogre.

or you know what? better yet, how about just ogre?

7+ Year Old Account
    no i would not, this is not a Dungeons and dragons setting, wow is different, Orcs already fulfill that

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by George Costanza View Post
    go to tumblr if you want to blog post images of stuff. or one of 4chans boards
    We don't want you!

I guesd.
    I never connected with the orcs in WoW being alien and all. Thrall however appeals to me both in culture, model and all

Quote Originally Posted by Psykho View Post
    I'd guess the only challenge would be integrating them into a quest that justifies a good number of them being recruited, it's easier to do with regular subraces and completely different ones since they are:
    1)tend to congregate in communities full of their people while Half-breeds are usually spread out in communities populated by either one of their parent races
    2)have a justified reason for not already being apart of a faction, while half-breeds tend to stay in the faction that is closer to the values they were raised with
    I was thinking they use a different approach for them. Usually playable races require some sort of community to be playable. But half breeds are different because they can in theory be part of either of their parent community.

Similarly you don't need a large number of them either, the play can be a one off person, so you are in effect just individuals with mixed parentage deciding to become an adventurer. And in fact, adventuring, mercanry jobs and such are actually more ideal for half breeds, often ostrascized and usually unfavourable/unwanted in parent communities they tend to prefer lifestyles like adventuerers.

I expect that nearly all living half breeds get into dangerous or highly focused lives that keep them travelling or very busy.. hence they are the only race that the majority of them are actually adventurers, and they don't have any communities as typically they live amongst one of their praent races.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Grubenwolf View Post
    Fuck no. They look wimpy as hell. Like they're from some emo punk band or something.

Now an orc/ogre like Rexxar? Hell yeah.
    I guess you'd also love to play an ogre.

While I can't ever see myself playing one and wouldn't care less if they become playable. I have argued for Mok'athal and half orcs, becuase i do understand some people prefer a more grotesque monstery orc, but equally acknowledge that a more humanised orc would be very appealing too and be attractive to some, like me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ravenmoon View Post

I guess you'd also love to play an ogre.

While I can't ever see myself playing one and wouldn't care less if they become playable. I have argued for Mok'athal and half orcs, becuase i do understand some people prefer a more grotesque monstery orc, but equally acknowledge that a more humanised orc would be very appealing too and be attractive to some, like me.
    My main problem with Half-Orcs is that they are way too DND and they are not really... a race with a culture, Moknathal in the other hand, even though they are halves, do have their own culture (and their own representative)

Note: If you don't add them to any race in particular, just be part of any of their parents race, they just slowly push both races to ever evolve with or through others

The question really just boils down to two questions:

Are they cool looking?

Do they have good racials?

If yes to both, YES!

If yes to one, maybe...

If no to both, hah nah

Quote Originally Posted by Maxilian View Post
    My main problem with Half-Orcs is that they are way too DND and they are not really... a race with a culture, Moknathal in the other hand, even though they are halves, do have their own culture (and their own representative)

Note: If you don't add them to any race in particular, just be part of any of their parents race, they just slowly push both races to ever evolve with or through others
    I don't really know about DND, and I'm not sure why warcraft half orcs would feel like DnD, to me they feel like a half orc half human/dranei/elf and all that implies. I do accept they won't have a culture, but they don't need one. I think in DnD they are arcae of their own as in a culture, but in wow, I never imagined there would be a community of half orcs or half elves, it doesn't need one, you'd typically be an individual that is part of one of your parent communities, in the case of the half orcs, it's you'd be part of hte Orc communities, the horde is more embracing in that respect, Thrall's horde is, an di dn't imagine having orc teeth and green skin even if it's light would be welcome in the alliance at all, especially amongst humans.

Half elves would also likely be wiwth humans, as they can shine more in human communities thanks to their elven bood, whereas in elven communities they'd be looked down upon as inferior and muddied, so typically half elves would start with humans amongst humans, they don't need a community of their own.

Ofc a more interesting option is to allow the layer to choose whether he wants to be with his horde parent or alliance parent, they could start like the pandaren and choose after a certain level. Then have access to that factionszones and quests.

With the new levelling zone comign out too, it's even easier.

Quote Originally Posted by Mellrod View Post
    Those art pieces definitely aren't even from the warcraft universe and I agree they lack the iconic feel of the WCU Orcs, (I bet most of them are probably just D&D characters or LoTR fanart or something) but it's obvious they are meant to show the concept, rather than depict what warcraft halfbreeds would or should look like.
    Exactly this. Not everyone can put their ideas into great pictures, so we look around until we find something that at least comes close to what we had in mind.
    But your duty to Azeroth is not yet complete. More is demanded of you... a price the living cannot pay.

I've never liked half-human, half-whatever as playable races in any game. They're just a lame watered-down compromise for people who just want to play slightly different humans, and humans are lame as hell, given that I already play one irl. Or they just look like their full-blooded counterpart (like Arator).

For a half-orc race, Mok'nathal or bust.
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    Also, it's should HAVE. NOT "should of". "Should of" doesn't even make sense. If you think you should own a cat, do you say "I should of a cat" or "I should have a cat"? Do you HAVE cats, or do you OF cats?

Ugh, no. "I want green and muscular, but they must be hot and special".

Get the hell out of here with those Mok'nathal as well. Full Ogres. None of that special shit. No one even knows much about the Mok'nathal, outside of Rexxar. The one that was outcast, for being different.

Quote Originally Posted by Asaliah View Post
    I want a half-tauren half-gnomette and see what's left of the mother after delivering the baby
    Per in-game models, baby Tauren are about as big as the other race's babies.

Which is to say, ALL of them look rather painful for a female Gnome to carry and deliver.
    "Auto-correct is my worst enema."

10+ Year Old Account
    Lighthalzen, the City-State of Prosperity
    is looking like me IRL.
    but yeah i'd play that

Quote Originally Posted by Rendark View Post
    I have never liked half orcs. Ever time i play D&D when ever we run into one they are always a dick.
    Generally because they tend to be abandoned and nobody likes them for no real fault of their own? Sure, when they grow up jaded and cynical because everyone were dicks to them, they'll be dicks to everyone in turn.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Halyon View Post
    Generally because they tend to be abandoned and nobody likes them for no real fault of their own? Sure, when they grow up jaded and cynical because everyone were dicks to them, they'll be dicks to everyone in turn.
    It's sad but hey it could be worse. At least they don't rip their way out of their mother like some Tiefling or are just born evil like half chromatic dragons.

Quote Originally Posted by Rendark View Post
    It's sad but hey it could be worse. At least they don't rip their way out of their mother like some Tiefling or are just born evil like half chromatic dragons.
    There's always worse. 2 wrongs don't make a right though.

OT, I think half-breeds could work, but not as their own races/allied races, they should just be costumization options for flavor, since otherwise, Blizz would have to write decent lore, and it'd largely be superfluous, since the races in WoW aren't quite as purity obssessed as they are in D&D/Pathfinder and such.

They should be treated as a footnote, because crossbreeding does happen, but should not be treated with fanfare, unless it's some very special snowflakery...and fuck that noise. xD