Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    I'd never charge my child rent, especially if I were incurring no costs on the house anyway since said child also paid the bills for the house.

I don't get how some parents behave...

Only if he tucks you in at night and reads you harry potter

Can't you just ask him "hey, I need to save up money for getting my own house, can we lower the rent so I can put money into that?" It sounds like he'd say yes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

You are not in control of whether or not you pay rent. Your dad is. You should do what he says. If it is too expensive, rent elsewhere.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Stelio Kontos View Post
    I'd never charge my child rent, especially if I were incurring no costs on the house anyway since said child also paid the bills for the house.

Some people live in states that tax real estate.

You're 33 and questioning whether or not you should have to pay rent?
    Goodbye-Forever-MMO-Champ
    Quote Originally Posted by HighlordJohnstone View Post
    Alleria's whispers start climaxing

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnusthegreat View Post
    You are not in control of whether or not you pay rent. Your dad is. You should do what he says. If it is too expensive, rent elsewhere.

- - - Updated - - -

Some people live in states that tax real estate.
    There aren't many markets in the US where property tax is that high, but that's a valid concern I suppose. I don't charge my elderly mother rent or taxes when she stays with me though, just not in my nature to nickle and dime loved ones, but I do know it's not unusual among Americans to be like that with money.

There aren't many markets in the US where property tax is that high, but that's a valid concern I suppose. I don't charge my elderly mother rent or taxes when she stays with me though, just not in my nature to nickle and dime loved ones, but I do know it's not unusual among Americans to be like that with money.
    I'm not even close to rich (actually considered upper lower class on city-data) and my taxes are about $300 per month.

Some people also believe that you should always earn your keep - rent is an extremely easy way to make sure family isn't mooching. Of course, each situation is different. But teaching people that living costs money is very important.

10+ Year Old Account
    You shouldn't have to pay anyone rent

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnusthegreat View Post
    I'm not even close to rich (actually considered upper lower class on city-data) and my taxes are about $300 per month.

Some people also believe that you should always earn your keep - rent is an extremely easy way to make sure family isn't mooching. Of course, each situation is different. But teaching people that living costs money is very important.
    I've lived in the US about 20 years, I know how things are here. I've had American acquaintances charge guests for k cups of coffee or to use their home phones, and I've seen American kids demand money for doing chores. Not my culture, so I'll try to reserve judgment.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, if it's your dad's house and if he's asking for rent to live there then yeah pay the rent but if your dad is cool with not having to pay rent then no obviously you don't have to.

I don't know, to me it's kind of messed up for your dad to want rent from you especially if you're already paying all the bills and the fact that you said he doesn't really need it. I feel that he should let you live in the place rent free as long as you keep up with the bills. I just feel from a family member to another especially a father and son/daughter that he should be wanting to help you out so that you can save up for a place of your own no matter how long it takes.

In any case it sounds like you're going to be moving soon anyway so just keep paying the rent until you move and you won't have to worry about it anymore.
    - "If you have a problem figuring out whether you're for me or Trump, then you ain't black" - Jo Bodin, BLM supporter
    - "I got hairy legs that turn blonde in the sun. The kids used to come up and reach in the pool & rub my leg down so it was straight & watch the hair come back up again. So I learned about roaches, I learned about kids jumping on my lap, and I love kids jumping on my lap...” - Pedo Joe

I live in Rochester, NY and my school and property taxes are over $7k a year.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    That is between you and your dad. But It is his home after all. Sounds like he has a good thing going however and I do not think you are paying too much. Try living on your own and you will find out.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    That is between you and your dad. But It is his home after all. Sounds like he has a good thing going however and I do not think you are paying too much. Try living on your own and you will find out.
    To be fair, though, a parent willing to charge their kids rent should probably expect similar treatment if they ever find themselves needing a helping hand from their child though too and shouldn't be expecting handouts when the time comes for aged care, retirement homes, etc.

10+ Year Old Account
    To be fair, though, a parent willing to charge their kids rent should probably expect similar treatment if they ever find themselves needing a helping hand from their child though too and shouldn't be expecting handouts when the time comes for aged care, retirement homes, etc.
    Which is why I said, it is something between him and his dad. His dad should consider any actions he takes for his own future. But $400 a month and him paying the utilities, he is getting a good deal in my book. The guy is 33 after all. I left home at 17 to get out on my own.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Player Eleven View Post
    Seems stupid high imo. I've got a whole apartment for myself for the time being that costs $450. Having to share a place with someone, it seems insane to me to pay $400 and utility on top of that.
    Just about everything is relative to where you live. In many places here in the US, 400 a month for rent is super cheap. Plus he gets to live in a house. Which are generally more spacey than apartments and much better privacy.

7+ Year Old Account
    If you think the situation is unfair, find a different place to live.

Quote Originally Posted by Eronath View Post
    I pay all the bills (water, electricity, internet, trash collecting, etc), buy my own food and order / pay for propane and heating oil when it needs to be replenished.. I also pay my dad 400 / month on top of that as a form of rent, eventhough he doesn't really need to worry about anything in regards to the house in terms of basic payments that you'd expect from owning / living in a home.
    You do know that a house doesn't stay in the shape it is forever? These $400 are not just a thank you for your dad letting you live in his house, he needs that money for the upkeep.

Fer reals. I know that if—for whatever reason—I lose my house, my parents would be thrilled if I moved back with them, and they’d never ask for a cent. Any of my brothers and my cousin would do he same. And I’d do the same for any of them. They’re family, id never ask them for rent.

Both options (paying/not paying rent) are perfectly viable and 100% depend on each particular case.

Four years ago I've lived in my parents house for a year and a half because the house was otherwise empty (they were living abroad at that time) and I was renting a flat when I had an empty house just gathering dust, they were the ones who offered me to move in because it was a win for everyone:
    1. I obviously had to pay all the house bills so my parents benefitted since they wouldn't have to anymore.
    2. I was already paying for my apartment bills PLUS the rent so it would be pretty much the same expenses for me bills-wise BUT I would be saving the rent money.
    3. It was my parents way of helping me raise money to afford a place of my own someday, since otherwise I probably would've never made it since rent is so expensive where I live.

In your case from what you've mentioned your father doesn't NEED the rent money, plus you're struggling a bit with raising money to afford your own place, so it would be nice if you could pocket that extra money, since you're paying for the house expenses you're actually helping your father by taking those expenses from him, so I think it's fair here.

Bottom line is, you should approach your father and talk it out with him but keeping in mind that should he refuse for whatever reason, he's within his right to do so, but I don't think he would. Best of luck!
    Quote Originally Posted by shoc View Post
    Because the random name generator might pump out Lortfanden, which sounds like a pretty generic fantasy Warrior name in English, until you realize it means "Shit Fuck" in Danish.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lotus Victorya View Post
    WoD is worse than leveling in Hellfire Peninsula in a PvP Server where your faction sucks.

What kind of parent would make their daughter or son pay rent? Can't really have a good relationship with them if they do that.