Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by mickybrighteyes View Post
    Yes it is... but I notice you don't really point out anything about Revan's kids with Bastilla.

still gonna point out you seemed to take more umbridge over the fact that Revan turned out to be male.

As for ander's and resmblance....

not really a look a like... less hair on top of head and on face. Wrong color as well as Anders is almost blonde in his depictions... yeah they look a like if you want to lump them as generic male with facial hair and hair tied back <.<

And as for other comparisons between anders and revan? i mean about as comprable as their facial similarities... very basic at best.
    tortured character decides to get back at his torturers by violently exterminating them. close enough. the hairstyle, facial expressions, manner of speaking - close enough

what is it with you people and hyper-focusing on hair color? yes i have a problem with canonization of gender, because IT WAS PART OF WHAT YOU COULD CHOSE AS A PLAYER. its not the ONLY problem I have.

and again. Revan's kids with Bastila is ICING ON A SHIT CAKE. the problem started back in Maelstrom, Foundry, etc. by the time we get to Theron, the damage has been done. we know Satele was Bastila's granddaughter. Bastila having children with someone without confirming the father doesn't change player choices in KOTOR since if you are played a Revan that did NOT romance her, she could have just had a child with someone else.
    I feel like you are trying for some gotcha thing. stop it.

Revan in swtor was bad. Revan as made by Disney is more the likely is going to be worth. I'm just tired of seeing this character canonized in a shitty way.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kithelle View Post
    Revan was male...he was always male...he had a fucking baby with Bastilla...he was always male.
    he wasn't until swtor. we didn't get confirmed baby with Bastila until Theron Shan reveal in shadow of Revan. there is no always. up until swtor - Revan was like Shepard. whatever player played them as. light side, or dark. male or female. romancing someone or not.

and same goes for exile who i KNOW one of you is going to try and catch me on. Exile wasn't always light side female force ghost of swtor (ugh). exile could be male or female, dark or light, in romance or not.

7+ Year Old Account
    A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away
    Quote Originally Posted by Witchblade77 View Post
    tortured character decides to get back at his torturers by violently exterminating them. close enough. the hairstyle, facial expressions, manner of speaking - close enough

what is it with you people and hyper-focusing on hair color? yes i have a problem with canonization of gender, because IT WAS PART OF WHAT YOU COULD CHOSE AS A PLAYER. its not the ONLY problem I have.

and again. Revan's kids with Bastila is ICING ON A SHIT CAKE. the problem started back in Maelstrom, Foundry, etc. by the time we get to Theron, the damage has been done. we know Satele was Bastila's granddaughter. Bastila having children with someone without confirming the father doesn't change player choices in KOTOR since if you are played a Revan that did NOT romance her, she could have just had a child with someone else.

Revan in swtor was bad. Revan as made by Disney is more the likely is going to be worth. I'm just tired of seeing this character canonized in a shitty way.
    What are you on about? Satele was hinted at and basically confirmed to be Revan's descendant way before Theron.

And Revan was determined to be male long before SW:ToR.

- - - Updated - - -

he wasn't until swtor. we didn't get confirmed baby with Bastila until Theron Shan reveal in shadow of Revan. there is no always. up until swtor - Revan was like Shepard. whatever player played them as. light side, or dark. male or female. romancing someone or not.

and same goes for exile who i KNOW one of you is going to try and catch me on. Exile wasn't always light side female force ghost of swtor (ugh). exile could be male or female, dark or light, in romance or not.
    This is false. Revan was Male and the Exile was Female prior to SW:ToR.
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TheramoreIsTheBomb View Post
    A Knights of the Old Republic movie is apparently in the works. It is speculated to be based on the critically acclaimed game with the same name that was released in 2003.
    A "Knights of the Old Republic" movie? You mean, one where a nobody who doesn't even realize they're a Jedi and doesn't know about their real (and very dark-side) background has to gallivant around the galaxy with their team of unlikely allies, learning from an old Jedi who insists he isn't a Jedi anymore, in search of an ancient map to a hidden system in the Unknown Regions where they have to defeat an evil Sith lord before the giant fleet he's created out of nothing brings doom to the galaxy? Yeah, I think I've seen that one... Pretty recently, as a matter of fact.

(Still, I'd watch the hell out of a KotoR film, or films, especially for HK-47 (I want to hear "Darth Meatbag" on the big screen).
    "In today’s America, conservatives who actually want to conserve are as rare as liberals who actually want to liberate. The once-significant language of an earlier era has had the meaning sucked right out of it, the better to serve as camouflage for a kleptocratic feeding frenzy in which both establishment parties participate with equal abandon" (Taking a break from the criminal, incompetent liars at the NSA, to bring you the above political observation, from The Archdruid Report.)

10+ Year Old Account
    This thread illustrates why Disney did a soft reset when they bought SW. Theres no pleasing everyone so just let the old EU live as an alternate timeline.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Quote Originally Posted by Darththeo View Post
    What are you on about? Satele was hinted at and basically confirmed to be Revan's descendant way before Theron.

And Revan was determined to be male long before SW:ToR.

- - - Updated - - -

This is false. Revan was Male and the Exile was Female prior to SW:ToR.
    citation needed, I don't remember Satele being confirmed as Revan's descendant until later. and ugh, because the point keeps getting muddied, I do NOT like them being canonized, PERIOD. i didn't like it back then and I don't like it now. especially given quality pf the last several movies.

regardless. i do NOT want them to adopt the games. i do NOT want them to touch any of these characters - player characters or otherwise, but especially player characters. set the story in that era. mention the names in passing, the way they did in rise. but... stop. please STOP fucking with video game adaptations. especially rpg ones. (and... before anyone brings up witcher, witcher series is an adaptation of BOOKS, not games.)
    Last edited by Witchblade77; 2020-01-04 at 03:06 AM.

7+ Year Old Account
    A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away
    citation needed, I don't remember Satele being confirmed as Revan's descendant until later.

regardless. i do NOT want them to adopt the games. i do NOT want them to touch any of these characters - player characters or otherwise, but especially player characters. set the story in that era. mention the names in passing, the way they did in rise. but... stop. please STOP fucking with video game adaptations. especially rpg ones. (and... before anyone brings up witcher, witcher series is an adaptation of BOOKS, not games.)
    Wookieepedia, it was literally hinted at in her first appearance.
    And her original post had Aurebesh in it implying her lineage.

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Sat...ind_the_scenes

This was like a huge story before the game was out. I remember hearing about it before I got my beta invite.
    It was hinted in the Comic that came out in 2009, the game released in 2011. And it was confirmed in Star Wars: The Old Republic: Revan novel that was released publicly a month before the game.

Seriously, we knew Satele was Revan's descendant (or at least had very strong evidence) before the game was even out of beta.

And again, Revan was established as Light Side Male in the C-canon because the game was considered part of the Expanded Universe and thus needed a continuity canon ending. And I am making this argument when I feel personally a Dark Side female Revan fit the narrative of the two games better.
    Last edited by Darththeo; 2020-01-04 at 03:14 AM.
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

Quote Originally Posted by Jettisawn View Post
    It is literally impossible for Movies that are 3 hours long at most. Even if you give it a Trilogy that is 7 to 9 hours of fitting in 4 novels and 2 game worth of story. Saying you can't recreate and tell a compelling story something based on fiction is wrong. Spiderman is a perfect example as both Toby's and Tom Holland have a very different take on the same story. Both are good in my mind with the failure of SpiderMan 3 having Batman Forever problem of putting too many villains in a single film.
    you can make each movie 4hrs, and make multiple.

but either way, you don't have to go into the same depth as the game. but following the exact same general plot is essential. toby's spiderman was the only good one because it was incredibly close to the only spiderman that was ever actually good, the 90's amazing spider-man.

if it were up to me, they'd stop trying to tell long and deep storylines in movies. the original star wars movies should have been a tv series that took place over several seasons, leading into a movie that is only preparations for and the battle of the second death star. a movie is just such a bad medium to tell any story, plot is always rushed, and there's time skips and all of that. games and tv series, comics and books, all are better avenues to tell stories. movies should focus on big, climactic moments in a story's history, not the hero's journey.

- - - Updated - - -

yes i have a problem with canonization of gender, because IT WAS PART OF WHAT YOU COULD CHOSE AS A PLAYER. its not the ONLY problem I have.
    idk if you're invested in elder scrolls lore, but this is one thing that has hurt it, never canonizing the gender/race/appearance of a player character.

they shouldn't canonize a character during the game's height, but they definitely should by the next game. it's dumb that elder scrolls heroes always just disappear, the hero of oblivion came the closest to some recognition by merging with sheogorath. now the dragonborn is probably gonna just disappear into apocrypha or something stupid like that because bethesda refuses to canonize the characters beyond their existence. it feels bad to not have closure on a character, or never see them rise above the station you left them in.

Pardon me for calling it "close enough" like comparing quartz to glass. Yeah both sport concoidal fractures, have varying degrees of opacity, and are about a 6 on the hardness scale.... but you know damn well you're not putting one of those substances up for your windows.

what is it with you people and hyper-focusing on hair color?
    Well I was saying hair length, and color, and I'd go on to say style... I almost said nose and eye color as well (but that was cause the anders pics I remembered and found first had his JUSTICE eyes going instead).

yes i have a problem with canonization of gender, because IT WAS PART OF WHAT YOU COULD CHOSE AS A PLAYER. its not the ONLY problem I have.
    It's just the first and most vocal subject you were on about. you didn't reference the possible issue of the light/dark affinity choices or possible romance issues FIRST.
    Pretty sure you learn of Setele's lineage before reaching that point. But if you're imperial side yeah that'd be about the time you actually get aquainted with the REAL revan.. not the poser cultists.
    Not planning on stopping it here, and no I'm not trying to any "gotcha" thing. Just finding your issues not really well established beyond you don't like the author's decisions. Can't help but feel if this scenario was changed ever so slightly we'd see a few other suspects showing up to talk down at people.
    I'm reading "shitty way" as "not what I wanted" at this point. Not exactly shitty as far as I can tell. But what can I say, I'm not the one writing and your best examples aren't really elaborating on much. (looking at anders who really shares very little with Revan in theme and scope)

Technically I think he was male in the book that, barely, pre-dates swtor original release (late 2011)... shadow of revan was 2014? or 2015?

As I understand she was canonized as light side force user at least. It was part of how she was reported to have taken down Darth Scion as I understand.

Quote Originally Posted by Faroth View Post
    I think people are misinterpreting that. I think it is going to be set in that era, not based on the game. KotOR is part of the EU. Disney Star Wars isn't going to adapt the EU and admit it into solid canon, I don't think.
    Would be interesting if it was a massive box office hit well beyond any of the new Disney ones, and they actually admitted it into the canon and continued with it instead.. oh the irony.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kithelle View Post
    Revan was male...he was always male...he had a fucking baby with Bastilla...he was always male.
    I don't get why anyone has a problem with Revan being male. Waht is all this hatred for male characters and heros and the insatiable need to either turn them into females or kill them? Many of the stuff made in teh last 40 years, especially the last 10-20 has a lot of good female heroes and characters, like Bastila Shan herself, there is no need to "make Revan female" - it reeks of male hate or socio-political agenda.

We all know Revan was canonically male, even if sometimes you have the choice to adapt the fantasy to yourself in character selection, the canon has to make a choice. Watch the backlash if they make Revan trans - and watch how not surprised I would be, and not paying money to watch it either.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    you can make each movie 4hrs, and make multiple.

but either way, you don't have to go into the same depth as the game. but following the exact same general plot is essential. toby's spiderman was the only good one because it was incredibly close to the only spiderman that was ever actually good, the 90's amazing spider-man.
    It will be a boring movie. Video games are based on objectives to attain. Movies must be driven by the characters. A movie consisting of get starmap of Dantooine, get starmap from Manaan, get starmap of Nar Shadaa, get starmap from Tatooine, etc. would be very boring.

if it were up to me, they'd stop trying to tell long and deep storylines in movies. the original star wars movies should have been a tv series that took place over several seasons, leading into a movie that is only preparations for and the battle of the second death star. a movie is just such a bad medium to tell any story, plot is always rushed, and there's time skips and all of that. games and tv series, comics and books, all are better avenues to tell stories. movies should focus on big, climactic moments in a story's history, not the hero's journey.
    Having a long and complicated storyline does not mean depth. I have seen a lot of stand alone movies that had more depth and meaning than the entire Star Wars saga. And it is also true of theater. A story doesn't need to be long with hundreds of characters to be great. More often than not, it only needs a few acts and three or four good characters. However, it is true that KotOR would work better as a TV show. What made KotOR great is not only the main quest for the Star Forge, but all the character sidestories that would make great "filler" episodes in a TV show, like Bacca's sword on Kashyyyk or Sunry's case on Manaan.

The problem with KotOR is that, as a player, I was the hero of that game. I was involved with the action and characters. Watching it all over again on a screen, big or small, will never be as compelling. That's why I'd rather much prefer an original story with a new protagonist set in the same universe.
    "Je vous répondrai par la bouche de mes canons!"

At least this movie will provide people with new and innovative ways to complain about the IP.

In seriousness, I'm curious how they plan on changing the story... and changing it will be necessary. There's no way they could follow the game plot directly and make a halfway decent movie.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ravenmoon View Post
    Would be interesting if it was a massive box office hit well beyond any of the new Disney ones, and they actually admitted it into the canon and continued with it instead.. oh the irony.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't get why anyone has a problem with Revan being male. Waht is all this hatred for male characters and heros and the insatiable need to either turn them into females or kill them? Many of the stuff made in teh last 40 years, especially the last 10-20 has a lot of good female heroes and characters, like Bastila Shan herself, there is no need to "make Revan female" - it reeks of male hate or socio-political agenda.

We all know Revan was canonically male, even if sometimes you have the choice to adapt the fantasy to yourself in character selection, the canon has to make a choice. Watch the backlash if they make Revan trans - and watch how not surprised I would be, and not paying money to watch it either.
    I believe it has less to do with Revan being canonically male than entitlement. People have all played "their" Revan and some are disgruntled that it was not that hot blond chick they played that is the "real" Revan. I find it all a bit ludicrous. "My" Revan (well, when I played the game the first time) was a LS soldier/sentinel male that had the face in the bottom left of that picture:

I'm sure that some people are equally disgruntled that Bioware did not choose the black man in the middle. Personaly, I don't care of it's the mullet guy framed in blue.
    Last edited by Frontenac; 2020-01-04 at 05:31 PM.
    "Je vous répondrai par la bouche de mes canons!"

Quote Originally Posted by Frontenac View Post
    I believe it has less to do with Revan being canonically male than entitlement. People have all played "their" Revan and some are disgruntled that it was not that hot blond chick they played that is the "real" Revan. I find it all a bit ludicrous. "My" Revan (well, when I played the game the first time) was a LS soldier/sentinel male that had the face in the bottom left of that picture:

I'm sure that some people are equally disgruntled that Bioware did not choose the black man in the middle. Personaly, I don't care of it's the mullet guy framed in blue.
    Thanks for taking the time to respond,although I am puzzled at this.

I thought his canon gender and appearance was settled ages ago. It would be weird to change it now.

And maybe I am disappointed that canon characters aren't looking exactly like the ones I created, I dont understand the rage. It is even less u understandable than those who are upset when a fixed gender/age/race character is changed, cos at least that character was pre defined.

If she is upset Revan isnt male, then if he was female surely others would be upset too, and he cant be both, especially just to avoid upsetting unhinged people.

Old Republic already made the decision for Revan's gender and race, if they had gone with female way back than, I'm sure she'd have a problem with those who wanted female Revan to be made male

10+ Year Old Account
    It's settled, Revan to be non-binary and multiracial to appease everyone.

In all seriousness, assuming that Disney puts Revan on screen for any significant amount of time they aren't going to go off 'Kotor canon' regardless of the actor they settle on.

Disney does not care about sticking to legends.

Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    It's settled, Revan to be non-binary and multiracial to appease everyone.

In all seriousness, assuming that Disney puts Revan on screen for any significant amount of time they aren't going to go off 'Kotor canon' regardless of the actor they settle on.

Disney does not care about sticking to legends.
    If they stuck to "KOTOR canon" in the sense of directly following the plot of the game to make a movie, the movie would be bad. It's not well designed for a movie for a multitude of reasons. That said, it should have some relation or... why even make the movie in the first place?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by therealbowser View Post
    If they stuck to "KOTOR canon" in the sense of directly following the plot of the game to make a movie, the movie would be bad. It's not well designed for a movie for a multitude of reasons. That said, it should have some relation or... why even make the movie in the first place?
    They are going to adopt elements from legends material to throw something together. Same as they've always done. I think people are setting themselves up for disappointment saying how 'canon Revan' is supposed to look.

They are going to adopt elements from legends material to throw something together. Same as they've always done. I think people are setting themselves up for disappointment saying how 'canon Revan' is supposed to look.
    Is this seriously the biggest thing people are worried about right now? Like, not the actual story itself?

10+ Year Old Account
    Is this seriously the biggest thing people are worried about right now? Like, not the actual story itself?
    Here, yes. It means everything.

Other places? No.

Here, yes. It means everything.

Other places? No.
    Welp. I honestly don't know how to respond to this.

Welp. I honestly don't know how to respond to this.
    there is currently no canon way that he looks, people have just been talking about the swtor version that gave him a specific appearance.

it is important how a character looks though, it's as much a part of the lore of that character as the choices they make. to disregard looks or gender is to disregard the character. i can't stand you up beside someone else and say he is you, can i? of course not.