Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    So is wow, but when I play wow it's fluid and smooth. When I play SWTOR - it's clunky. It's how it makes me feel. It might not be the controls themselves, it might be animations, speeds, etc. One thing I know for sure - camera settings are wonky as fuck on my machine - I need to set the rotation speed to almost zero and then go to my mouse settings and slow it down there - so I can have an acceptable camera speed for me. Anything higher than that and it's merry-go-round per pixel.
    I think you mean how bouncy wow characters seem to be while moving. I think you just got used to that. Because wow characters are catoony, they exagerate the proportions and movements. But, they are not realistic movements. People don't bounce like that walking/running. SWTOR is more accurate in that sense. If you notice the knees of your character, theres weight when they walk.

Honestly, i played both games for a very long time and that has never bothered me. If anything i laughed at how exagerated the wow animations are.

But, maybe there is a case to be made about how they could have had unique walk/run animations based on class where wow does it based on race for that extra flavor. Oh well..
    Last edited by Swnem; 2020-01-02 at 03:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kilz View Post
    Not only is the story garbage but it makes no sense unless you're a Jedi. Oh yeah after my Inquisitor killed all those people they'll have a sudden change of heart and become the savior of the galaxy. Don't pretend the choices matter. The story only goes one way so trying to pretend you're evil doesn't make any sense with the results.
    As a Sith saving the galaxy is essential. If someone else is ruling the galaxy, it means that I'm not.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormbreed View Post
    Mexico is already part of the USA so is Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by Shandalar View Post
    Shadow deserves nothing, the same as Fire Mages.

3+ Year Old Account
    I didn’t even realize that game was still around! I enjoyed the Sith starting zone but I quit once I left the planet and got onto that space station. Might have to re-install it and try it out again since it’s still up and running.
    Don’t ask me to explain my idiocy; I’m in my early 40’s and still don’t understand it myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Aleloron View Post
    I didn’t even realize that game was still around! I enjoyed the Sith starting zone but I quit once I left the planet and got onto that space station. Might have to re-install it and try it out again since it’s still up and running.
    I'm curious why you would quit after the starter planet? Most people, myself included, rush to get off of it ASAP.

SWTOR is a great single player game, but the engine itself just isn't suited for a MMO. There's something about the way GCDs cycle that makes the game chuggy garbage, especially noticeable in PVP.

Quote Originally Posted by Didly View Post
    SWTOR is a great single player game, but the engine itself just isn't suited for a MMO. There's something about the way GCDs cycle that makes the game chuggy garbage, especially noticeable in PVP.
    The engine was specificly made for mmo's. It just never performed well.

The gcd issues have long since been fixed, but there is noticeable activation delay in pvp, especially noticeable with knockbacks.

I have been contemplating downloading it again, then I did last night and I will say I am having a blast I have all the Republic classes at 70 already from Eternal Throne xpac. I started an Imperial Agent last night and have him to lvl 12 so far and am having a good time. I did enjoy doing the raids the last time I played though, I really enjoy the Scoundrel, and Trooper healing it was fun.

caught up to current on the story and have to save IF wow was to ever remove factions or change them SWTOR paved the way for it to be done.. Granted i hope WoW doesn't but that's a different thread I'm now playing my repbub classes and doing the trooper story first lvl 30ish and so far so good just finished chapt 1. best part is you can level now with only class and planet stories easily.

I'd love to see a version 2 released with a new engine better animations and trim down the ability trees some.
    Member: Dragon Flight Alpha Club, Member since 7/20/22

i find that it depends on the class you play.

jedi knight feels like trash. all the gcds feel misaligned with the ability animations and damage pop ups. all the animations are far too flippy and twirly, making everything take too long to go off, and the damage of the actual ability seems to only happen when the animation is done(not that it won't go through if the animation doesn't complete, just that it's timed or something to only happen after the amount of time it takes for an animation to finish).

you jump back and forth from a warrior to a knight and you'll see the night and day difference.

similarly, commando and merc feel a little clunky with the gcd too. while sorc and sage feel pretty good as lightning/telekinetics.

Quote Originally Posted by Swnem View Post
    I think you mean how bouncy wow characters seem to be while moving. I think you just got used to that. Because wow characters are catoony, they exagerate the proportions and movements. But, they are not realistic movements. People don't bounce like that walking/running. SWTOR is more accurate in that sense. If you notice the knees of your character, theres weight when they walk.

Honestly, i played both games for a very long time and that has never bothered me. If anything i laughed at how exagerated the wow animations are.

But, maybe there is a case to be made about how they could have had unique walk/run animations based on class where wow does it based on race for that extra flavor. Oh well..
    My favorite running animation in any game I've played was the sylvari female in GW2. The character really had this weight and leaned into it at the start of the animation and then you felt the weight of you stopping and trying to cancel out that momentum. Whole thing felt really good.

Running in Swtor is a bit stiff by comparison but its fine.
    ..and so he left, with terrible power in shaking hands.

Have the large Collector's Edition of SWTOR (with the large statue), with the authenticator security key fob still... wonder if my account still exists with all the stuff from it on it.
    Last edited by Daedius; 2020-01-04 at 10:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Daedius View Post
    Have the large Collector's Edition of SWTOR (with the large statue), with the authenticator security key fob still... wonder if my account still exists with all the stuff from it on it.
    Mine from 7 years ago did, imagine yours does as well.
    ..and so he left, with terrible power in shaking hands.

10+ Year Old Account
    Everything about it feels clunky. The way you move, the way you fight and the way NPCs move and fight everything is so stiff almost like the game has a natural lag to it. Its not fluid at all like GW2/ESO/WoW etc.

Its 1 of the most important parts of an MMO and they completely fucked it up. I keep hearing about how good the story is but its FF14 all over again with an atrocious limited engine. I don't know how people can ever get into a game like that but maybe I've been spoiled so long with fluid action combat. I can understand it not bothering you if you haven't played another MMO in the past 8 years.

Swapping from ESO to this is like literally going back in time, but I can't put my finger on it and compare anything because I've never played a game that felt so clunky. I really wanna play through the campaign because I love star wars, I think I just need to get REALLY stoned lol.

I tried so many times to get into SWTOR from launch and could never play it more than a couple weeks before giving up. I think it had quite a few issues:

1) Star Wars doesn't suit the WoW/EQ style "click button, wait for thing" approach. It should have been way faster paced, basically how ESO turned out or even GW2. But the WoW style was a poor choice and done obviously to appeal to WoW players. It's clunky and doesn't fit the setting. I want to play a Jedi like a Jedi should be; jumping around and swinging a lightsaber not treating it like a sword. It's like they took a page from Lucas' original thought that a lightsaber would be heavy and clunky like Excalibur until it was pointed out that it's made of LIGHT so wouldn't weigh anything.

2) The graphics are atrocious. Seriously, it looks like they forgot to apply shaders and textures to everything; everything looks so waxy and lifeless. When you realize that SWTOR uses the same game engine as ESO it makes you wonder how they made it look so terrible in comparison. Did they spend all the budget on licensing and voice acting and have to quickly throw together some graphics or what?

3) There are WAY too many abilities. Like people want to bitch about WoW's pruning of abilities but JFC the sheer number in SWTOR is beyond ridiculous. It needs a major pruning/ability consolidation.

4) The whole f2p/perks system just screams "We'll show you for not paying for our overhyped game" with crippling punishments for not subscribing to the point of being stupid. The game is almost unplayable beyond the early areas without being a subscriber, which doesn't work for this. About the only game i saw where that sort of worked was LOTRO and they also sold quest packs so if you were super slow by the time you got there paying $10 or so to buy a quest pack that would last you months wasn't such a bad thing.

Basically to me SWTOR is a textbook example of how to take the most popular franchise in the world and massively fuck a game with it up. That game really could have been the "WoW Killer" if they hadn't tried to copy WoW and do a piss poor job of it. But it had way too many poor decisions which has left it crippled.

"So it's a business that keeps on milking. We like those type of businesses"

- Fixed it for the EA CFO.

Quote Originally Posted by Nobleshield View Post
    I tried so many times to get into SWTOR from launch and could never play it more than a couple weeks before giving up. I think it had quite a few issues:

1) Star Wars doesn't suit the WoW/EQ style "click button, wait for thing" approach. It should have been way faster paced, basically how ESO turned out or even GW2. But the WoW style was a poor choice and done obviously to appeal to WoW players. It's clunky and doesn't fit the setting. I want to play a Jedi like a Jedi should be; jumping around and swinging a lightsaber not treating it like a sword. It's like they took a page from Lucas' original thought that a lightsaber would be heavy and clunky like Excalibur until it was pointed out that it's made of LIGHT so wouldn't weigh anything.
    Except in canon lore it's actually quite weighty and hard to wield. The blade may not weigh anything but the hilt certainly does.

2) The graphics are atrocious. Seriously, it looks like they forgot to apply shaders and textures to everything; everything looks so waxy and lifeless. When you realize that SWTOR uses the same game engine as ESO it makes you wonder how they made it look so terrible in comparison. Did they spend all the budget on licensing and voice acting and have to quickly throw together some graphics or what?
    1) The graphics are stylized and IMO I think they hold up well. Sure, they could look better...but I don't think they look bad. Opinion and all that.
    2) There are shadows and shaders if you have them turned on. The engine is just so horribly optimized that most people don't have them turned on because they can't or it bogs their FPS down to a near stand still.

3) There are WAY too many abilities. Like people want to bitch about WoW's pruning of abilities but JFC the sheer number in SWTOR is beyond ridiculous. It needs a major pruning/ability consolidation.
    Agree with this, though on some classes the number of abilities feels OK as you're using all of them in a very active and fluid way. It could definitely do with a prune though...just not one as large as WoW.

4) The whole f2p/perks system just screams "We'll show you for not paying for our overhyped game" with crippling punishments for not subscribing to the point of being stupid. The game is almost unplayable beyond the early areas without being a subscriber, which doesn't work for this. About the only game i saw where that sort of worked was LOTRO and they also sold quest packs so if you were super slow by the time you got there paying $10 or so to buy a quest pack that would last you months wasn't such a bad thing.
    The only part of the F2P system that bothers me is how in your face they are about it when you're not a subscriber. Otherwise I don't think the restrictions are bad at all. If they had marketed it differently and called the subscriber benefits a "bonus" rather than framing in a way that makes you feel punished for not being a subscriber it really wouldn't be any different than any other F2P game on the market. You get the entire base game and all the stories and quests for free, which is arguably the best part.

Funny how you bring up LotRO because IMO that's the worst F2P system I've ever seen BECAUSE of the quest packs, where you couldn't even play past a certain point unless you paid money because you literally couldn't quest unless you paid money. That to me can't really even be considered F2P, not truly, because at some point you HAVE to pay money.

Basically to me SWTOR is a textbook example of how to take the most popular franchise in the world and massively fuck a game with it up. That game really could have been the "WoW Killer" if they hadn't tried to copy WoW and do a piss poor job of it. But it had way too many poor decisions which has left it crippled.
    If they had stuck with their original goal and design intent to make this a story driven MMO and supported it accordingly, it would have been fine. Aside from a poorly optimized engine (which really just means I have to have settings turned down lower than I'd like, but the game is still totally functional), I've never really had any issues with the overall game play of the game, at least no issues that I don't have at times with nearly every other online game I've ever played (lag, input delay, animation stutters, etc...).

The issue for me is that it just wasn't well supported in the long run. The original team went on record and said they thought it would take the average player 3-4 months to reach the level cap and complete the story and people were doing it in 1-2 weeks or less. The end game was very bare at launch and it never truly recovered from there, though it has gotten MUCH better recently. For many people, it will likely always be an MMO where you sub for a month or two after a major patch releases and that's about it. but for every game like this there are always a few whales...but that's just how it goes.

I don't necessarily disagree with your assessment or opinion, but I do think that it's a bit exaggerated.
    Last edited by Katchii; 2020-01-07 at 05:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cuafpr View Post
    caught up to current on the story and have to save IF wow was to ever remove factions or change them SWTOR paved the way for it to be done.. Granted i hope WoW doesn't but that's a different thread I'm now playing my repbub classes and doing the trooper story first lvl 30ish and so far so good just finished chapt 1. best part is you can level now with only class and planet stories easily.

I'd love to see a version 2 released with a new engine better animations and trim down the ability trees some.
    Have no reason to even do planet quests. get enough EXP from just the story quest alone and once you have done a story and are doing the other path of a class then just level via group finder you get 2+ levels per dungeon.

Quote Originally Posted by schwank05 View Post
    Have no reason to even do planet quests. get enough EXP from just the story quest alone and once you have done a story and are doing the other path of a class then just level via group finder you get 2+ levels per dungeon.
    As a sub yes, class story quests are pretty much all you need to level up. As a non-sub, since you don't get the xp bonus for being a sub, you need to supplement the class story with other quests to be on-level as you go from planet to planet, especially since non-subs can't even get the xp bonus items as quest rewards which is another kick in the balls for non-subs.

Quote Originally Posted by Sesethi View Post
    I find this to be a very weak complaint. What is wrong with the region forums being together? Yeah SWTOR gameplay and design is very similar to WoW from WotLK era and some skills look or are copied, but do you honestly believe WoW has not copied anything or adapted anything from it's competitors as well?
    Everything in WoW is copied from other games. They've even admitted it and take pride in it. That's what makes the game so great though, they took the good things from other games and did them well. Most successful games do this.

OT: I'm loving play SWTOR recently. I'm very impressed with how good the FTP option is these days as well.. it used to be terrible and essentially forced you to sub. This is definitely not the case anymore from my experience. I'm still learning but from what I can tell the base game in it's entirety is completely playable FTP with no restrictions (Which is like hundreds of hours of gameplay at LEAST).

Quote Originally Posted by barrsftw View Post
    Everything in WoW is copied from other games. They've even admitted it and take pride in it. That's what makes the game so great though, they took the good things from other games and did them well. Most successful games do this.

OT: I'm loving play SWTOR recently. I'm very impressed with how good the FTP option is these days as well.. it used to be terrible and essentially forced you to sub. This is definitely not the case anymore from my experience. I'm still learning but from what I can tell the base game in it's entirety is completely playable FTP with no restrictions (Which is like hundreds of hours of gameplay at LEAST).
    YOu used to be able to play without a sub

They took away the warzone and raid passes....It's much worse

I had prepared my acct to truly play F2P, came back and they had done away with the key stuff that made that plan work.