Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Does Europe have country music

Does Europe have country music? I mean like American country. I know they have like rock and rap and stuff but I didn' tknow if country music was unique to the US or not.
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

Why not? Country music isn't exclusive to the US. Americans likely just popularized it. Country music can be from the rural area of any country or state. I'm sure Irish potato farmers have their own form of country music.

They don't have American country music in countries that aren't America, no. That's like asking do they have Japanese enka music in Spain.

Most countries have various kinds of folk music or traditional music of various styles, but country music in the American variant is fairly idiosyncratic.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyphael View Post
    Why not? Country music isn't exclusive to the US. Americans likely just popularized it. Country music can be from the rural area of any country or state. I'm sure Irish potato farmers have their own form of country music.
    You might be thinking about folk music.

Country music according to wikipedia:

"Country music, also known as country and western (or simply country), and hillbilly music, is a genre of popular music that originated in the Southern United States in the early 1920s. It takes its roots from genres such as American folk music (especially Appalachian folk and Western music) and blues."

That being said. Europe has amazing folk music (way better than the american counterpart if you ask me).

i was in germany for a few months.they call alot of music related clubs "disco's" a term that was used in europe since the 1950s way before the so called disco 70s era in North America and still continued. they called country western type bars....cowboy disco's when we asked cab drivers. the country discos, played US country music, along with line dancing, etc.

if you ask a cabby for a nightclub with music. dancing, where gals hangs out. you will end up at a EU version strip club, music, women dancing, many are prostitutes, where you rent a lady and room for the night if you want to...hence nightclub

Sweden has a lot of country music and yes, it's just as terrible as the american music.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by pinkz View Post
    i was in germany for a few months.they call alot of music related clubs "disco's" a term that was used in europe since the 1950s way before the so called disco 70s era in North America and still continued. they called country western type bars....cowboy disco's when we asked cab drivers. the country discos, played US country music, along with line dancing, etc.

if you ask a cabby for a nightclub with music. dancing, where gals hangs out. you will end up at a EU version strip club, music, women dancing, many are prostitutes, where you rent a lady and room for the night if you want to...hence nightclub
    Sounds more fun than trolling clubs for women lol

Quote Originally Posted by Ragnarohk View Post
    You might be thinking about folk music.

Country music according to wikipedia:

"Country music, also known as country and western (or simply country), and hillbilly music, is a genre of popular music that originated in the Southern United States in the early 1920s. It takes its roots from genres such as American folk music (especially Appalachian folk and Western music) and blues."

That being said. Europe has amazing folk music (way better than the american counterpart if you ask me).
    I suppose, but anywhere that has hillbillies and is considered country and produces country music, could have country music. Brazil is known for its country music.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M%C3%BAsica_sertaneja

It was at the end of the 1920s that Brazilian country music as we know it today came into being. It was born from recordings made by journalist ...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Leotheras the Blind View Post
    Question for you... do they have rock in other countries or rap in other countries? Those were both created in america. Now do you find it still a dumb question?
    Well you do kinda see other countries put out their own rap...rock...pop, but do you really see or hear about other countries doing their own country western music? No not really...so I wouldn't say it's a dumb question.

U2...btw was considered and called themselves a country-folk band when interviewed decades ago about their rock/pop style music

Quote Originally Posted by Leotheras the Blind View Post
    Question for you... do they have rock in other countries or rap in other countries? Those were both created in america. Now do you find it still a dumb question?
    Except OP was very specific to say AMERICAN country music, not just country music - if you actually read their post you'll see they made it a point to make that distinction.

But even aside from that, there's things that can be generalized more easily than others. For example, you have Japanese pottery, and yes, you also do have pottery in other countries. But there's Japanese samurai, and you really don't have samurai in other countries. Except of course in the form of facsimiles.

So yeah, I still find your question kinda dumb.

Quote Originally Posted by Kithelle View Post
    Well you do kinda see other countries put out their own rap...rock...pop, but do you really see or hear about other countries doing their own country western music? No not really...so I wouldn't say it's a dumb question.
    european's have their own folk country type music, go to any fairs, october fests, etc...that's pretty much it. their interest in US style was into more of the western style along with some midwest US style country. they are not into rock/rap country, etc

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by pinkz View Post
    european's have their own folk country type music, go to any fairs, october fests, etc...that's pretty much it. their interest in US style was into more of the western style along with some midwest US style country. they are not into rock/rap country, etc
    Is European folk anything like Country Western?

K-Pop for example is just like American Pop music...but sung in native Korean.

Baby Metal is Japanese...

Ramstein is German...

I've never heard of any bands doing Country Western music in their native language.
    Last edited by Kithelle; 2020-01-05 at 04:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kithelle View Post
    Is European folk anything like Country Western?

K-Pop for example is just like American Pop music...but sung in native Korean.

Baby Metal is Japanese...

Ramstein is German...

I've never heard of any bands doing Country Western music in their native language.
    Swedish country music artists, like Sarek, Ainbusk Singers

It's just folk music. So of course, "country music" exists everywhere in the world there are people and cultures.

Folk music exists, but I doubt European folk songs are accompanied by a singer with a Southern accent talking about pickup trucks

Btw I happened to hear a folk song today and thought "wow. This genre sucks" lol.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by OriginalName View Post
    Swedish country music artists, like Sarek, Ainbusk Singers
    Well apparently it isn't very big outside their native countries? "shrugs"

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    It's just folk music. So of course, "country music" exists everywhere in the world there are people and cultures.
    I personally have heard people judging country and folk music as different or slightly different.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    Folk music exists, but I doubt European folk songs are accompanied by a singer with a Southern accent talking about pickup trucks

Btw I happened to hear a folk song today and thought "wow. This genre sucks" lol.
    Exactly what I was thinking!

Cotton eye joe with Swedish band Rednex. "Om du vill bli min fru" with Drängarna is another song with actual American Country vibes. But theres a Swedish subculture that swings the southern flag too, so i'm not too surprised.

Why start a question thread without a question mark? Otherwise it just seems like a random statement from an uneducated, mindless beast.

Flaming isn't allowed. Infracted.
    Last edited by Faltemer; 2020-01-05 at 05:53 AM.