Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    I've never found it that terribly weird, though I've never been to a slaughterhouse either. Still got that bit of hypocrisy left in me that I'd rather stay ignorant in that field. Chicken is so freaking delicious.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sunseeker View Post
    Fine. Most of them are adorable and sweet. Animals that are loved and cared for taste better IMO.
    I think you'd enjoy The Promised Neverland.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Powerogue View Post
    I think you'd enjoy The Promised Neverland.
    No, I'd imagine children taste horrible.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't hang around them, partially because turkeys and chickens can be major assholes. I'm not big on eating meat to begin with, but it is less of a moral issue and more of a "my body gives me grief with most types of meat" issue.

I can't really develop any sort of emotional attachment to most types of fish (the exception is sharks, there are quite a few species of shark that I find outright adorable).

I like cows, don't like beef or almost every type of dairy product. My dislike beef is stems from me just disliking the flavor, texture, and how poorly my body processes the meat. I'm genetically predisposed to have gallbladder issues, haven't done testing for it but based on my adverse reactions to high-fat foods it is probable I did inherit some sort of gallbladder issue from my paternal side of my family.

I don't have much of an emotional perspective on food, the fact of the matter is that everything needs to consume something to survive. Asking me if I feel guilt over what I'm eating generates less of an emotional reaction than when I think of the weather. I find it hard to hate nature, and I don't view our species as being somehow separate from nature despite all of our technology.

Basically what I'm getting at is that I try view things on a larger/broader scale, partially in an effort to minimize my emotional response to any given situation. Not having decent foresight caused me considerable grief in the past, and I've spent the better part of the past decade working on that particular weakness. Sorry if I wandered a little off-topic, contemplating philosophical questions tend to result in a meandering train of thought from me.

TL;DR: The only meats I consume are fish, turkey, and chicken. I don't have any sentimental feelings towards any fish I eat, and I don't particularly like chickens or turkeys.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    Intelligence is like four wheel drive, it's not going to make you unstoppable, it just sort of tends to get you stuck in more remote places.
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    If you want to be disgusted, next time you kiss someone remember you've got your mouth on the end of a tube which has shit at the other end, held back by a couple of valves.

10+ Year Old Account
    On topic -- I grew up around farms and ranches. I've been to slaughter houses and seen chickens turned into Sunday lunch. It should be done without excessive cruelty, but knowing how that steak ended up on my plate doesn't bother me, nor does something with a more distinct "you are eating a fried, dead bird" identity (bones).

@Kyphael
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

I have not been around a chicken, cow, lamb, rabbit, duck, pheasant, hen, pig, turtle, alligator, or goat in decades. I mean, I'm cool with it though.

I've slaughtered chickens with my bare hands and prepared them for dinner. I also have seen a cow butchered fully and ate the end product. Same for a swine. Obviously, I killed and prepared literal tons of fish, amphibians, and crustaceans from life to plating as a chef- so it goes without saying I have no issue butchering fish or boiling a crab whole.

Good welfare often results in a superior food product.

In many cases, if one can not consume animal products from animals raised for slaughter with good welfare and practice- one should not eat animal products very much. It is far better to eat good beef less often than to eat bad beef more often, for example.

If consuming animals bothers you in any way and you can not ensure high welfare products; just go vegan. It's a great choice likely to improve your health tremendously and is ultimately a superior dietary lifestyle in terms of environmental impact vs. mass processed animal products of often question welfare, quality, and cleanliness.

Quote Originally Posted by d00mGuArD View Post
    That sounds completely made up.
    A person would need to eat 5 chickens and 10 fishes per day, every day for the whole year and it will still not be 2000 chickens and 4000 fish! hahaha
    This simply does not happen.
    10 fishes in a sitting is not that extreme.

Last edited by Flarelaine; 2020-01-05 at 06:42 AM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Hungry

/10char

I've never understood people who could do it. As a child, I used to tell my mother that if we ever had to hunt/raise/slaughter our own meat that I'd rather die. I didn't know not eating animals was an option until well into adulthood, unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by Trassk View Post
    since those who don't eat meat need to supplement the lack of necessary supplements with pills or face health issues.
    This isn't true, btw.
    "We must now recognize that the greatest threat of freedom for us all is if we go back to eating ourselves out from within." - John Anderson

10+ Year Old Account
    I couldn't raise animals myself, only to have them killed. I'd grow too attached to them, feeding and taking care of them.

Do I have problems with others doing it, knowing the pig in front of me is going to get killed and eaten? No.
    Quote Originally Posted by SpaghettiMonk View Post
    And again, let’s presume equity in schools is achievable. Then why should a parent read to a child?

Quote Originally Posted by Flarelaine View Post
    10 fishes in a sitting is not that extreme.

every day? for a whole year? and that is still not 4000 per year. And that is 10 fish, in addition to the 5 chickens every day. And it still does not reach what those "studies" say. Nobody eats 4000fishes and 2000 chickens in a year.
    and the geek shall inherit the earth

Quote Originally Posted by d00mGuArD View Post
    every day? for a whole year? and that is still not 4000 per year. And that is 10 fish, in addition to the 5 chickens every day. And it still does not reach what those "studies" say. Nobody eats 4000fishes and 2000 chickens in a year.
    Yeah, I agree those numbers are fishy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lane View Post
    I've never understood people who could do it. As a child, I used to tell my mother that if we ever had to hunt/raise/slaughter our own meat that I'd rather die. I didn't know not eating animals was an option until well into adulthood, unfortunately.

This isn't true, btw.
    Sorry but, your lying. Or just don't want to admit you do eat other things that come from animals.

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition...-from-plants#3
    https://www.thehealthy.com/nutrition...etarian-vegan/
    https://www.naturespath.com/en-us/bl...nt-based-diet/
    https://chriskresser.com/why-you-sho...d-vegan-diets/

Oh would you look that, several reports and accounts about how plant based diets alone doesn't give you vital nutrients you need, and all similar.
    Last edited by Trassk; 2020-01-05 at 12:00 PM.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Those annual figures seem way off. Most studies I read puts the figures at around 220-250 lbs of meat per year. That sounds quite believable.

However, I find it strange that people complain about dog or cat meat but have no problem eating other animals. I don't get it why the line is drawn so hard when it comes to common household pets.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Flarelaine View Post
    Yeah, I agree those numbers are fishy.
    I'll agree it was based off a quick glance on Google? But looking into it again other studies suggest around 27 to 30 chickens a year for the average person, which sounds more realistic

Quote Originally Posted by roxfm View Post
    Those annual figures seem way off. Most studies I read puts the figures at around 220-250 lbs of meat per year. That sounds quite believable.

However, I find it strange that people complain about dog or cat meat but have no problem eating other animals. I don't get it why the line is drawn so hard when it comes to common household pets.
    It's all about cuteness and culture norms. Which is fine to me, I find it a bit weird at times that people don't admit it as such. When people say they are pescitarian because they value "life". No, it's not because of "life" it's because you feel bad eating animals you find cute.
    Error 404 - Signature not found

Sorry but, your lying. Or just don't want to admit you do eat other things that come from animals.

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition...-from-plants#3
    https://www.thehealthy.com/nutrition...etarian-vegan/
    https://www.naturespath.com/en-us/bl...nt-based-diet/
    https://chriskresser.com/why-you-sho...d-vegan-diets/

Oh would you look that, several reports and accounts about how plant based diets alone doesn't give you vital nutrients you need, and all similar.
    Oh, would you look at that, several blog/opinion links including one by the infamous Chris Kresser who's been debunked so many times I don't know how anyone takes him seriously anymore. I haven't eaten animal products in 5 years and my health dramatically improved as a result. I don't care what you choose to believe. I do care about misinformation being spread potentially preventing someone who'd like to explore a plant-based diet from doing so.
    "We must now recognize that the greatest threat of freedom for us all is if we go back to eating ourselves out from within." - John Anderson

10+ Year Old Account
    I had pet chickens and turkeys. They weren't the chickens and turkeys I was eating, and that was fine.

I'll agree it was based off a quick glance on Google? But looking into it again other studies suggest around 27 to 30 chickens a year for the average person, which sounds more realistic
    Even more,terrible. Are we at the top of the food chain?

5+ Year Old Account
    I'm a veggie so I don't consume any!

15+ Year Old Account
    To clear the point this isn't some advocating for veganism or anything of the sort, it's more a personal moral quandary.

Looking up online on Google, several studies have suggested the amount of animals we consume on a yearly bases, varying from person to person, can be along the lines of over 2000 chickens, 11 cows, 4000 fish and so on. As a species humans are omnivorous so I have no qualms about eating meat, since those who don't eat meat need to supplement the lack of necessary supplements with pills or face health issues.

The question I have though, as I'm sure most moral people feel about the well being of animals, maybe being pet owners themselves or working in roles with animals, what do you feel like if say you are around such animals like chickens and cows and fish and goats and similar?

I'm very forward about animals being taken care of, I support free range markets, however I have no illusions on what the label of free range really means. When I'm around chickens and cows, which my aunt keeps chickens as pets and egg laying, while I like the animals, it's always at the back of my mind "I ate one of you last Sunday".

This makes me feel that, I could never raise chickens or other farm animals myself, because such as when owning cats and dogs, I'd grow attached to them and then it would just feel off eating a chicken.

I've known farmers who don't have this moral quandary, they raise the animals and have no issue taking them to the slaughter house and eating them after, it's just that frame of mind you need in such a way of life.
    You might want take another look at the numbers because those ones 100% bullshit I love farm animals esp cows if I owned enough land I would 100% have a pet cow I also eat beef and would still eat it if I ever got the pet cow I dream of anyone who says they don't eat meat because of moral problems is a fucking Hippocratic and if you need to ask why give your head a shake.
    My rogue RIP 2004-2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Amadeus View Post
    No they don’t learn and evidence suggests that. Behavior also doesn’t change and if there is any hope of learning behavior has to change.

Not meaningless declarations easy to say after he regrets offering up evidence he’s a racist.